Tepper Guilty

Former police officer Tepper was found guilty today by a jury of his peers of 1st degree murder.

I tried posting the link to the news article but the spam filter won't let me.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Just what Port Richmond doesn't need right now.

newfish's picture

I'm surprised this got a 1st degree murder charge. Don't know all the details, but it seems excessive based upon the articles I've read. My understanding is he was getting hit, he pulls out a gun, identified himself as an officer, and tells everyone to leave. Someone tells him he wont shoot and threatens him, so he fires. Is there more to this?

Why don't we need this? It's a good thing. I haven't heard anyone come out and publicly support him short of his lawyer so it's not about to divide our neighborhood.

given that a jury of his peers found him guilty, chances are your understanding is wrong.

kwhln215's picture

This is a great thing . That kid was really well liked by all of P.R . Its a good day that bully for the last 15 years got what was coming to him

kwhln215's picture

He shot and killed someone who never hit him and was standing 15 feet away . He was a bully with his padge and gun .

kwhln215's picture

Oh by the way it was his family that started the whole fight . He was part of the fight not getting assaulted .

newfish's picture

Thanks kwhln215.

I am specifically referring to the insanity that occurred in the courtroom immediately after the jury foreperson announced the verdict.

Not sure but I think that I've read the Tepper's moved away.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

doyne29's picture

I'm glad for the Panas family that they now have some peace and justice was served. After what I have just been through, it was hard for me to read the witnesses testimony about how his friends put him in their car and attempted to take him to Northeastern hospital, which was closed.
Tepper had a chance to back off, retreat to his home, and call the police. He made to decision to join in the fight that was going on and pull out his weapon. He deserves first-degree in my eyes.

GPI's picture

Yeah, the jury always get it right....

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

GPI's picture

doyne29 wrote:

Hopefully he gets raped in prison where he belongs. Another ignorant PPD who thought he was above the law.

KingDingAling's picture

GPI wrote:
doyne29 wrote:

So eloquently worded. (I couldn't find the sarcasm font)

When the king speaks, fishtown.us would be wise to listen.

Some folks just can't help bringing discussions down to the lowest level yet they want everyone to respect their views. I'm sure this Tepper fellow deserves his punishment.... the end.

I thought this thread was about another Tepper. I'm sad because it could have been funny.

One outcome I see from this case is it sends a very strong message about what self defense is and what it isn't. And where your paycheck comes from (or even if you have a paycheck at all) doesn't change those facts. I have a feeling this case is going to be cited a lot in the future.

The juror comments just came out this morning. They said their minds were mostly made up the moment they were sent off to deliberate. That is very telling. I dont know where to read trial transcripts about all the different versions of what Tepper thinks happened vs. family members, but it was pretty clear from the beginning there wasn't justification for bringing the gun out to begin with.

Tepper could have brought the family back into the house and slammed the door, he could have gotten the 24th out and as an off duty cop I'm sure the response time would be way faster than what the average bear experiences. Nobody was charging at Tepper or posing a legitimate threat to kill or maim him. The new Castle Doctrine law that took effect last August would also not have changed this outcome.

As uncouth as it is when they happen, Adults should be allowed to have heated arguments without it turning into this.

Thug bully cop got justice. His behavior was not acceptable for anyone worse for an officer

newtofishtown's picture

They are making an example out of him.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

I don't think they are making an example of him. This was a man who was sworn to protect and serve, who did he protect that fateful night. He had a reputation for being a cowboy and he probably thought he was above it all. This man was also in the Civil Affairs unit, part of his job was controlling crowds, protests and the such; so, he should have known from training how to diffuse the situation that started inside his own home before taking it to the street.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

2014 york wrote:

Not freaking cool at all.

kwhln215's picture

Tepper from the day he became a cop was a bully in P.R . He thought he could do whatever he wanted when he wanted . He finally got what was coming to him . It's a win for all the good cops out there to get this scumbag off the streets

Making an example in that they convict a murderer of murder? Yeah, it's the model that should generally be followed. Wish they had made the same example of that snotty little lacrosse player down in VA

GPI's picture

lighterthief wrote:

He was convicted wasn't he?

GPI wrote:
lighterthief wrote:

He was convicted wasn't he?

the Lacrosse Player? 2nd degree - could be out in 5yrs pending sentencing

kwhln215 wrote:

Just sucks that it came at the expense of Billy Panas's life...

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

kwhln215's picture

They need to be stricter with cops who abuse their power when off duty . Most cops i know once they clock out they are in "civilian" mode but some think they can do whatever they want . Maybe if they handled tepper years ago this would have never happened

fishtownfilly's picture

kwhln215 wrote:

He must have had a big 'dime' to be in Civil Affairs.

Keep Smiling Beautiful Ones, the World Needs Your Light.

Susquehanna's picture

Should the City be liable for Tepper's behavior?
For me this is an easy no but I see many votes casted for yes.

Wow I didn't know about all the calls for assist he put in at his own house. Sounds like the DRAMA LLAMA was roostin' for a long time on his block.

Imagine what it was probably like having that as a neighbor.