Guess Who is Responsible for Wawa's Trash?

The Wawa on Aramingo is owned by:

PORT RICHMOND DEV II L P

State records indicate that this legal entity is owned by:

Officers
Name: NEAL I RODIN
Title: President
Address: 1616 WALNUT ST
PHILADELPHIA PA 19103-51

Name: JOHN M ADDERLY JR
Title: Treasurer
Address: 1616 WALNUT ST
PHILADELPHIA PA 19103-51

City BRT records where Mr. Rodin is clearly the owner shows that he lives on the 2000 block of Delancey in Rittenhouse Square.

This is quite interesting, I know one of his neighbors quite well.

Phone number for the Rodin Group: (215) 985-0606

I am certain his homestead is immaculate. I wish he could keep up his properties that way. I would like to send a bill to Mr. Rodin each time me or any other ORCA members have to go behind his Wawa property to clean up the garbage behind his stores.

As a side note, they just don't own WaWa; they own the whole block which includes Applebee's & Rite Aid.

Kenzo, check the records because at one time; they were the developers of the opposite side of Aramingo as well. When they were going for their variances, they came to the community with their visions for both sides of the street. WaWa side was part 1 while DD side was Part 2.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Are we talking about litter? While companies should keep their lot clean, it's not like the employees are trained to go outside and throw bags and napkins everywhere for the ambiance. A lot of it is us. Should we really be chasing after some guy in Rittenhouse because our neighbors love throwing trash everywhere?

Love is a Mattlefield.

when we cleaned up around the rite aid/wawa in the fall it was much better than it had been in the previous spring.

I believe we should be going after WaWa for the litter AROUND WaWa and for the panhandlers; not the owner of the property. The owner rented in good faith to these tenants and I'm sure it is in their leases about dumpsters and cleaning around the property. If the litter is a problem and remains as such or gets worse without any resolution by WaWa; then go to the owner of the property.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

sandi

Matt Benatar wrote:

Matt,

This is a good point. Does anyone have any suggestions in general for neighbors who like to throw trash everywhere? My block is particularly frustrating. How should we handle this problem? Does having additional public trash cans help? How can we educate our neighbors? Has anyone had any luck on their blocks? How do some of the Green Guides go about getting neighbors on board? Sorry to derail this thread a bit, but this really is a good point, and something that should be addressed.

"If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, the excitement, and the mystery of the world we live in." --Rachel Carlson

fuzzybottoms's picture

sandi wrote:
Matt Benatar wrote:

Matt,

And a related question -- how do we get people to stop dumping in the public trashcans? My neighbors and I have put 3 cans out on our block. Literally two minutes after the trash truck came by last week, I witnessed an SUV pull up to one of the cans, open their door, and dump enough trash in the can to fill it. And then leave before anyone could confront them.
That + the 'customers' of Penn Treaty dumping everything that they can't sell makes it difficult for the trash cans to be effective. It's very frustrating.

Atomic Larry's picture

fuzzybottoms wrote:
sandi wrote:

Good luck with that. When I maintained a can around Palmer Cemetery this happened all the time. I even put a laminated sign up on the can that nicely said to not dump household trash, construction debris, etc. It didn’t make a difference. Once I caught a guy who just stopped his car on Montgomery Ave, got out with a full plastic kitchen bag of who knows what and threw it in my can. Of course I called him on it and he actually got offended - said I shouldn't be berating people for simply throwing away trash. He said something about he'd take it back it if I wasn’t being so unreasonable but left it anyway as he quickly got back in his car and drove away. I guess people just see a public can and figure it's okay.

I don’t think having public cans around really helps. People who are pigs will be pigs no matter what. It always amazes me how people just keep adding more and more trash, dog poo and debris to a full can until it's overflowing onto the sidewalk. Even today (the cans around the cemetery are gone) people will still leave their trash and poo bags with the leaves that we sweep up as they are waiting to be picked up for recycling. I put that in the "it's always someone else's job" category.

I kind of like the idea of someone driving around with a bag of trash in their car, though.

Landj's picture

This makes me think of housekeeping at hotels. The people that just leave empty bottles, bags, half eaten food, etc all over the place thinking it's housekeepings job to clean up after you... As adults we just shouldnt be pigs. I help clean up after my 5 year old because she is 5. By the time you can drive, you should understand how to throw away garbage and clean up after yourself.

Landj wrote:
This makes me think of housekeeping at hotels.

A pet peeve we share. I don't care if it's the Four Seasons or the Ramada Inn in Pigeon Forge, TN (highly recommended!), I always leave the room clean and leave a few bucks tip. Those poor folks work for virtually nothing and have to deal with so many pigs.

Neilpuck's picture

I always liked GuessWho, I can't see her being responsible for trash, she was always part of the cleanups.

Landj wrote:

That is, technically, their job.

Not that I am saying you should trash your hotel rooms, but you probably want to find a more accurate way of expressing your intuition. For instance, pointing out that it is polite/good manners to not make more work for others than necessary.

Heh.

Regardless (see what I did there?) of WHO is depositing the litter, the ultimate entity responsible for the trash LEFT there is always the property owner. Part of the burden of owning property is that you must maintain it. The end.

FishtownYo's picture

When last filling up gas at Wawa a two weeks or so ago, a guy filling up on other side of pump took a classic (12in) partially eaten hoagie and stuffed it, unwrapped, into where the blue towels for cleaning windshields are kept. I called him on it, telling him that the other side of the pump is actually a real trash bin, less than an arms length away. The dude flips out, screaming at me to mind my own business, I'm an A - hole etc... all the while walking across Wawa parking lot into the store with a child.

Everyone was just staring at me at the pumps, but I felt good.

What is so bad about religion is that it fosters a primitive form of morality that hinders progress in virtually any domain beneficial to our modern world.

Landj's picture

Stein, I couldn't disagree with you more.