lunch, hypothetically...?

So, let's say you hypothetically have a reporter from the dining out section of the ny times coming to your studio in the area, and you have to choose a worthy representation of the area (19125) for lunch on a Monday, where would you suggest?

I can make this decision, and will, but am curious about the forum's suggestions.
Wish this could be a poll format.

ok, I'll say the obvious list comes to mind:

Sketch : best burger around IMO
kraftwork: great food and beer (if we decide to imbibe)
MTR: if he were a veggie yes, but he's not.
JB's: for the hipster spirit , though it's kinda already overexposed to ny in the press.
loco pez: fun, kitsch mex (are they open for lunch?)
Honey's : a line even on what should be slow days (and I'd rather have the 19125 represent than n.libs)
Sabrina's at the old Sulimay's location: Oh, right, that was just a mean tease last year :(
Frankford Hall: sad to go "chain" when our hood has more.

Am I forgetting much?

Im not looking for non-foodie local cheap (the times would be paying) so let's skip jovans and acropolis for saving our pennies.

weigh in, please

"vinegar of lil richard ninja" , yo

Sketch only because Jovan's isn't open on Mondays.

fuzzybottoms's picture

I'd pick Kraftwork for the excellent beer + food combination. Plus, I think Kraftwork has really stepped up their game, food wise. I'm consistently impressed when I go there.

soup kitchen?

is the green rock open for lunch?

pretty sure loco pez doesn't open until 4ish.

Interstate Draft House

Soup Kitchen

as far as ethnic:

pho thang long
que chula
new wave

not really suggesting it over some of the other things already on the list, but just to make the list complete: que chula

I'd put Loco Pez at or near the top just because it's likely off their radar, is pretty good, and is a decent representation of the metamorphosis in the area. JB's, too, not because of my connection at all but because daytime JB's is still a pretty chill spot (with good beer) to hang and have a conversation.

Oh, and a hypothetical congratulations as well!

ronchito's picture

Sketch would be the best choice food-wise, but there's also a risk of the phrase "faint dog urine odors" being included in a NYT article about Fishtown restaurants -- not good. Otherwise I'd say Kraftwork is the best mix of unique & quality atmosphere, food, and drink.

PS: Loco Pez is not currently open for lunch. They open @ 5. That would be a great choice if open.

Seconded, motion to vote.

Adding another vote for Soup Kitchen.

AM's picture

Kraftwork. Just like the atmosphere in there.

"Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone . . . "

Whenever I see the menu at Kraftwork I feel like they got the short end of the culinary stick, vis-a-vis Sidecar.

soup kitchen is the most "local/neighborhood-y" place I can think of that also feels lunch y
interstate, JB's Kraftwerk are all great but may not be so buzzy on a monday lunch and end up feeling a under-whelming. SK feels about right on a slow monday afternoon vibe.

I feel like a place named the Soup Kitchen should have more than a single soup on their menu. Maybe I just set my expectations too high.

Hone's picture

Loco Pez or Kraftwork. Also not sure if Loco Pez does lunch, but I think both are banging and represent the hood well.

If you could pre-arrange to get some random off-the-menu stuff from Loco Pez to wow the reporter, than I'd say that's a slam dunk.

Congrats too man...that's awesome

ronchito's picture

they had two available last night and three when i went a few weeks ago. (these were the first times I'd been in a while so not sure if that's normal or not)

ronchito wrote:

Well I only had the menu online to go off of, but I guess I was just expecting the focus to be primarily on soups based on the name of the place.

Pez doesn't open until 5pm on Mondays.
I'd suggest Hinge, but they're not even open on Mondays at all, are they?

This sounds exciting NK.

Pez doesn't open until 5pm on Mondays.
I'd suggest Hinge, but they're not even open on Mondays at all, are they?

This sounds exciting NK.

They are open Mondays, but you might as well just walk the extra block down to Kitty's Luncheonette.

oh snap, i just had a new idea: Johnny's Hots!

Wish I was there right now, and I could be if I didn't have such a defeatist attitude at the moment.

take out and atlantis

Pez doesn't open until 5pm on Mondays.
I'd suggest Hinge, but they're not even open on Mondays at all, are they?

This sounds exciting NK.

Oh, never been for lunch, was thinking of the dinner schedule.

I think that is why I feel SK is so representative, a place so slow, quirky, and oddly charming could just not exist in NYC. It is part of the reason I moved and part of the reason the little New Yorker in my brain is perpetually agitated. The other places are all so trendy they may come across as a cheap facsimile of NY joints especially on Monday afternoon.

ronchito's picture

ronchito wrote:

I think the soups change daily and are listed on a chalkboard rather than the standard menu. (not sure if they list them every day on FB, Twitter,etc)

ronchito wrote:

just looked at their facebook. here's today's soups "Hey y'all...come over and try one of our soups ...they are vegetarian borscht, white chicken chili, and parsnip parmesan...mm mm..."

Chiquita's picture

Murphs! Great food. Local feel. Nice Bar.

EGG?

Chiquita wrote:
Murphs! Great food. Local feel. Nice Bar.

I need to get back there soon and try their stuffed pork chop.

Atomic Larry's picture

if you're imbibing or, heck, even if you're not (maybe you will?) I think kraftwork is a no brainer. However are they open for lunch?

gauler's picture

Kraftwork or Mtaproom, although I went for lunch to the taproom the other day, they had one guy running all the tables, food was not up to their standard, and no one to service me since they had almost a full house in the back. Four people at the bar, all waiting to get served. Really big fail on their behalf.

____________
Interrupted

new kenzo's picture

lighterthief wrote:
...The other places are all so trendy they may come across as a cheap facsimile of NY joints especially on Monday afternoon.

I think you're under-appreciating our joints and overrating NY joints. There's no way that Kraftwork is unimpressive to a NY'er. Im no stranger to NY or Brooklyn, and really, think anyone that considers our places don't hold their own are over-romanticizing some memory of nyc.

As for lunch, Ive been to Kraftwork and Jbs for lunch and it's LUNCH not a night out to be seen. If they're not buzzing with action , well neither are the joints in NY.

As for the soup kitchen, I do indeed like it but not sure yet if this hypothetical person would want a beer with lunch or not.
Also, a side note: this guy is here to hypothetically write about some food art , not the lunch spot.
I appreciate the feedback and thanks sdm, for the restraint. I expected something like a suggestion of the 711 dumpster from you.

"vinegar of lil richard ninja" , yo

dmandy's picture

gauler wrote:

If it was the day I'm thinking of, they had a group of 30 walk in. Hard to take care of that many people when you had no idea they were coming.

new kenzo wrote:
lighterthief wrote:

I am not overrating anything in NYC trust me, I actually find NYC's current incarnation pretty awful, just putting on those NY egomaniac glasses for a minute. Everything (except europe) is inferior to Brooklyn's super-awesomeness and Philadelphia occupies a quaint 7th borough role somewhere below Hoboken. On a monday lunchtime places that are primarily bars don't necessarily shine but a place that is a neighborhood lunch spot seems perfect. I would recommend Hinge too but they are byob as well. If it was a friend not a reporter I would just grab a 6pack of PBC from the fridge and go to one of those. Every one of the places recommended is pretty great though, I am thrilled that there are so many really cool and interesting options in the neighborhood.

new kenzo wrote:
lighterthief wrote:

I can't tell if I'm being insulted or not, but thanks, I think....

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses's picture

new kenzo wrote:

Wish this could be a poll format.

ok, I'll say the obvious list comes to mind:

Sketch : best burger around IMO
kraftwork: great food and beer (if we decide to imbibe)
MTR: if he were a veggie yes, but he's not.
loco pez: fun, kitsch mex (are they open for lunch?)
Frankford Hall: sad to go "chain" when our hood has more.

Am I forgetting much?

weigh in, please

If Interstate Draft House were open Mondays and for lunch, I would vote for them. My second choice would be Loco Pez, but I don't think they have lunch hours during the week. So, I would go with either Kraftwork or Sketch. Personally, I don't like the layout of Kraftwork, but you can get drinks there.

Ugh.

oh snap, i just had a new idea: Johnny's Hots!

If it's on a nice warm day, I'd second this idea.

Is loco pez open for lunch? I dont think that was discussed. I figured I should ask again.

JedicusMaximus's picture

According to their website, Loco Pez is only open for lunch/brunch on the weekend.

www.locopez.com

10011101

Brunch is like 11-3 on sat & sun.
chipolte pancakes...
Not open till 5pm weekdays.

Brunch is like 11-3 on sat & sun.
chipolte pancakes...
Not open till 5pm weekdays.

i thought you were against buying pancakes.

I didn't say I would eat them..just the only thing I remembered from when the waitress showed us the menu during HH.
Notice there is no "mmmmmm" after it.
Now that I give it some thought, I think it might have been Al Pastor pancakes...either way, I wouldn't want them.

new kenzo's picture

Ended up at sketch, his choice. Was a very good experience.

"vinegar of lil richard ninja" , yo

ronchito's picture

Glad you didn't try to go to Kraftwork -- they closed today due to utility problems. (also glad Sketch worked out)