More restaurants north of Norris St please!!

Just sayin....I'm often hungry and want lots more choices north of Norris.

Apparently something is going in at Cedar and Gaul. [Edit: Typo. I meant Cedar and York, where the garage with the dirtbikes is.]

Also, don't forget that Jovan's exists! That place is awesome.

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

KingDingAling's picture

Jovan's food is really good and the people who work there are really nice BUT food can often take well over an hour to be cooked. I haven't been there in a little while but I was going about once a month for a little while there and it ALWAYS took an hour plus.

When the king speaks, fishtown.us would be wise to listen.

c0llins's picture

Eh, I find everything at Jovan's pretty bland except for the schnitzel rolls, which themselves are nothing to write home about. The "Joey's chicken and pasta" is like 4 strips of thin chicken and a week's worth of blandly seasoned pasta. That and the fact that if you decide to eat there you will wait an hour to actually eat the food you order. The only sympathy I have is that the lady who runs the place is very sweet and kind. Other than that, no thanks.

ronchito's picture

Jordan wrote:
Apparently something is going in at Cedar and Gaul.

I'm interested to hear about this but don't Cedar and Gaul run parallel to each other?

At least the ugly signs on the corner of the building at Cedar & York came off. I've been patiently awaiting more food choices too.

There's not a single thai place in all of 19125. The best one so far that I've been to that's non-CC is up in Mayfair. Mmm pad thai delivery would be yummie. Someone needs to open one, I'm hungry.

ronchito wrote:
Jordan wrote:
Apparently something is going in at Cedar and Gaul.

Cedar and York I believe. The shop that used to have bikes outside of it all the time requested a use variance to ORCA and it was approved by neighbors. Unfortunately a zoning request and a meeting doesn't necessarily mean something's gonna happen.

c0llins's picture

York St should be a bustling non-chain food corridor.

I always thought something was supposed to go into 2424, for eating that is.

Chris in Kenzington's picture

Did Jovan's ever get their liquor license back?

Chris in Kenzington wrote:
Did Jovan's ever get their liquor license back?

Yes, update please. I'm waiting to go.

Mmmmmmm Jovans. I don't think I have ever had anything that was not yummy there. We rarely eat in because it takes a good three hours to eat there. We usually call it in and pick up. I love that family too. Such great people.

AM's picture

I love Jovan's. Well worth the wait. Great food - great people.

"Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone . . . "

Nope. PLCB still says their license is inactive:

we still haven't made it to jovan's, but i've heard a lot of good things.

the pickled heron is north of norris.

I always thought something was supposed to go into 2424, for eating that is.

I have it on good authority that there is something going in on the corner where a variance was granted years ago. There is work being done there now. I was sworn to secrecy, but buy me a beer and I'll probably give you the details.

stbenjamin's picture

I always thought something was supposed to go into 2424, for eating that is.

I thought that project was basically an open secret, unless they finally have a tenant in mind. I know they wanted something food related there.

Also, we still need to grab that beer (or two).

Jovan's food is what it is. Filling, traditional dishes. Not the most adventurous cuisine but the place is a great neighborhood joint with a warm atmosphere. A great place IMO.

Since I moved here Memphis Tap opened, Coffehouse Too , Soup Kitchen, Pickled Heron & El Rodeo. Pizza Brain is on it's way and possibly at some point a place up by NKDCD offices. The market is growing and as development proceeds we will see more but this will happen slowly. The demographics have to be there. Right now we are good at supporting pizza/wings type places but fine dining requires more and deeper pockets. Other stuff is coming but slowly. Independent restaurants are a rough business to make work.

I would love to see O'Reilly's have better food.

I think a simple Italian joint would do well, have broad appeal and fill a niche that we don't have covered.

lighterthief wrote:

The place on Cumberland was always packed. I have no idea why they closed.

lighterthief wrote:

I would love to see O'Reilly's have better food.

yeah, me too. i'm currently boycotting, things have gone to heck up there.

lighterthief wrote:

The place on Cumberland was always packed. I have no idea why they closed.

are you talking about Bistro Juliana? That place seemed really well loved. I thought it was a rent issue. Not sure though.

I think York St and Frankford between Norris and York are the ideal places for new restaurants because those areas are pretty accessible to the whole 19125 and have decent traffic for visibility.

lighterthief wrote:

I would love to see O'Reilly's have better food.

yeah, me too. i'm currently boycotting, things have gone to heck up there.

I had a Shepard's Pie there that was an abomination. Great possibilities with parking, big dining room, outdoor patio etc. A good pub menu is not that hard to achieve or deliver and again would appeal to a big range of folks. Fish'n Chips, Shepard's Pie, Banger's and mash, a good burger some broiled salmon and a steak on the menu for the more "special" entrees. Not hard to do and do well. All simple stuff just has to be made fresh and with good base ingredients. (ie not powdered potatoes and frozen veggies that are still cold)

Ahh to dream... good pub fare and a place to get a quality pasta dish and I would be a happier camper.

lighterthief wrote:
lighterthief wrote:

I would love to see O'Reilly's have better food.

yeah, me too. i'm currently boycotting, things have gone to heck up there.

that's not even on the menu anymore. i'm holding out hope for shenanigan's.

that's not even on the menu anymore. i'm holding out hope for shenanigan's.

me too... sports, food, beer... get it right and they hit the trifecta!

It's funny, O'Reilly's served really good food at a couple of festivals a few years ago - including grilled salmon - and we were so hopeful but it never became a viable dining option.

Newcomer wrote:

i've had some things there be really good. it's just way too hit or miss anymore, and most of the time the kitchen closes early.

Coffee House Too has slamming sammiches.
Franco's is the best pizza around.
Leotah's I hear is pretty good.
Loco Pez - mouth watering now.
Slacks - pretty decent cheesesteak.

Last couple of weeks I've almost, (ALMOST) felt guilty, cause Walt comes out to the bar, and we don't order any food anymore. Last time I figured I was safe with a burger, the burger was fine, the roll must of been toasted after it had staled, it crumbled into chunks.
Maybe the next owners will utilized the facilities to the maximum benefit.

kwhln215's picture

Franco's pizza is like cardboard . But to say best pizza around isnt saying much . Id rather have Key's pizza .
Cheesesteaks fo to Anthonys cafe on Girard

kwhln215 wrote:
Cheesesteaks fo to Anthonys cafe on Girard

cardboard? really? it might not be your style, but i don't see where you're getting "cardboard" from. that's an insult i reserve for the pizza truck.

I agree with the pizza truck assessment; hands-down worst "pizza."
I think Leotah's is the best coffee shop though I really like Milk Crate and Buzz is nice.

kwhln215's picture

I'm fat i love all pizza LOL . Just didnt like it at all . I had to order it a 3rd time to make sure cause i heard some many people say it was good .

Father and Sons is the worst Pizza IMO (never ate the truck it wont cross Frankford)

Key pizza is ok but their other menu items are generally not up to par.

I like Primo, Stelios and Aramingo's Best for Pizza around here but none of it is really good.

Need to give Franco's a spin, Also mean to try Santucci Square II on Venango and Aramingo but keep forgetting

Leotah's - Best Coffee
Coffee House Too - Best Breakfast
Soup Kitchen - Best Lunch Sandwich'

Oh the the FreshWorks makes good sandwiches

kwhln215 wrote:

And you are welcome to your opinion.

But mine is that Franco's is the best.

Pizza Store on Allegheny if only for the little old Italian man who delivers it.

kwhln215 wrote:

out of curiosity, did you get it delivered? i've heard it can be pretty slow.

kwhln215 wrote:

out of curiosity, did you get it delivered? i've heard it can be pretty slow.

Truth. Pickup is like 20 minutes - delivery up to 45.

roy keen's picture

There's the Asian looking place that looks like it's progressing up by Sergeant. The same place that had that smiley face painted on the covering for a long time.

Anyone know what it's to be called, or anything?

Wegman's.

Maybe the next owners will utilized the facilities to the maximum benefit.

I know - the fish & chips I had last week looked good, but...wasn't really.

Speaking of the bar with no Jasmeson, who is down for tonight?

austen wrote:
Maybe the next owners will utilized the facilities to the maximum benefit.

I know - the fish & chips I had last week looked good, but...wasn't really.

Speaking of the bar with no Jasmeson, who is down for tonight?

sitting this one out. tonight is beer brewing night.

count bozoloper and me out this week.

roy keen wrote:

Anyone know what it's to be called, or anything?

Its been discussed on the board a few times. They have vague plans for a restaurant nothing solidified really sounds like it will be awhile before they really get anything going

kwhln215's picture

Yes . I heard something about one cook is better than the other ?? People notice the difference when certain people are tehre

Miglarsh has to work tonight...even if she gets home in time...doesn't look like they'll be enough for a game.
I won't know for sure until about 7pm.

c0llins's picture

we still haven't made it to jovan's, but i've heard a lot of good things.

the pickled heron is north of norris.

Yes, I ate at pickled heron last week and it was absolutely wonderful. Everything was delicious. I'm very thankful they are here, and I hope they never have to leave.

dmandy's picture

lighterthief wrote:
lighterthief wrote:

The place on Cumberland was always packed. I have no idea why they closed.

Well this place is still up for rent or sale. If anyone wants to have a restaurant I'll help you run it.

c0llins's picture

All this talk is making me hungry. We need a great sushi place between Norris and York. :p

There will soon me a new Vietnamese restaurant on Kensington Ave. It's 4 doors South of Thang Long. Took a peek inside last week and it looks like it will be pretty snazzy. Hopefully the food will be as good as Thang Long but with an expanded menu.

c0llins's picture

As of now, I'm not too interested in taking a date anywhere near kensington avenue. Sorry kenzo noodles houses.

c0llins wrote:

El Rodeo delivers. I'm ordering their fajitas again. MMMMMMmmmmmmm.

ronchito wrote:
Jordan wrote:
Apparently something is going in at Cedar and Gaul.

Sorry, typo. I meant York and Cedar. Where the thing with all the dirtbikes is.

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

I always thought something was supposed to go into 2424, for eating that is.

I can't comment on that, but let's just say this: :)

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

lighterthief wrote:

Key pizza is ok but their other menu items are generally not up to par.

Leotah's - Best Coffee
Coffee House Too - Best Breakfast
Soup Kitchen - Best Lunch Sandwich'

Oh the the FreshWorks makes good sandwiches

I think Key Pizza has the best pizza. At first I thought it was 'meh' but I've grown to absolutely love it. Have you tried it recently?

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

Jordan wrote:
I always thought something was supposed to go into 2424, for eating that is.

I can't comment on that, but let's just say this: :)

Cool. I think I said "Hi" to you last Thursday when I was sitting on a step outside the doctors. I hope I didn't startle you.

Jordan wrote:
lighterthief wrote:

Key pizza is ok but their other menu items are generally not up to par.

Leotah's - Best Coffee
Coffee House Too - Best Breakfast
Soup Kitchen - Best Lunch Sandwich'

Oh the the FreshWorks makes good sandwiches

I was just disappointed with Key for the first time. Ordered a pizza, dough was nigh raw and mostly inedible.

People either like Father & Sons or they hate it. There is no in-between.

It's like people with cilantro.

Jordan wrote:

recently we re-ordered thier pizza-chicken-stromboli combo to see if it was a legendarily bad as it was last time we felt so inclined to order it. The stromboli and chicken was not as epically disgusting but still pretty bad. The pizza was fine but nothing to make me keep the menu Stuff like thier buffalo chicken pizza tends to be good I generally dont go for novelty pizza. I like pizza with thin large foldable slices that crack just a bit when you fold. Philly pizza tends to be a bit doughy and gloppy or petite and fancy.

2014 york wrote:

we went there last night and i actually got something other than pho for the first time. the vermicelli with roast pork and a spring roll was delicious. i'll try out the other place for sure, but my loyalty will always be to thang long. also, the guys who work there are great.

People either like Father & Sons or they hate it. There is no in-between.

It's like people with cilantro.

Funny you say that, because I don't like Father & Sons but my wife loves it.

Caveat: It's delicious when reheated. I don't like it fresh, but the next day it's awesome.

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

people with cilantro.

I hear they have a new medication for that. It's got a ton of side effects though.

It's like people with cilantro.

I used to be allergic to cilantro...now I can tolerate it in small doses. I tried growing some last year - it's tough, and I couldn't stand the smell on my hands from picking it.

Too much of it makes things taste like soap.

love cilantro, it is a pita to grow though.

austen wrote:
It's like people with cilantro.

Too much of it makes things taste like soap.

i agree. i used to hate it, but now i can tolerate it in small doses.

Cutter's picture

I can't imagine all of tasty things I'd miss out if I didn't like cilantro. It has such a presence in spanish/latin, mexican, and vietnamese cuisine.

Cutter wrote:

I just ask them to withhold the vile weed.

c0llins's picture

Haha. Remember in that Seinfeld episode when they try to feed Newman brocolli and he screams out "Aghhh!!! VILE WEED!!!"

dmandy's picture

lighterthief wrote:
love cilantro, it is a pita to grow though.

Cilantro is a cool weather crop. Around here it goes to seed fast.Check this out if you want to try again.

Franco's ordered for the first time tonight. Ok def best pizza I have had in the hood by a long shot. Only complaint it arrived less than hot but a minute in the oven fixed that

A light at the end of the tunnel?
I had read that El Cafeito had their sign freshly painted. Hopefully, they'll be back by the time the nice weather gets here. I liked sitting outside there.

A light at the end of the tunnel?

you and miglarsh have really been talking big about this place. looking forward to trying it.

meredith wrote:
A light at the end of the tunnel?

Of course, you'll probably hate it.

meredith wrote:
A light at the end of the tunnel?

Of course, you'll probably hate it.

you callin' me a hater?

Not at all...
Its just that usually, my thoughts are the complete opposite of what the reality is.
Besides, you have a more refined palate.
It doesn't take much to impress me!

Not at all...
Besides, you have a more refined palate.
It doesn't take much to impress me!

i don't have the budget to have much of a refined palate. i'm sure i'll like it.

repolozob's picture

Aramingo Diner serves the best grub in Fistown. I also hear that Yesterdays serves some wicked wings and spicy fries.

Ok, who are you, really?

floppysoles i assume, this isnt the first time they have taken an existing username and rearranged the letters a little.

Bozolopers evil twin, who dwells in the Bizarro world.
(I'm surprised they haven't shut down the Aramingo Diner yet, but it is one of the few places in the hood you can get brains on your plate, even if you don't necessarily want them for breakfast.)

repolozob wrote:

if you're going to use my name backwards at least be funnier than i am. i'll admit to my love of corny jokes, and i know my off the cuff humor doesn't always tickle the collective funny bone of the masses, but your ongoing attempts at wit and attempted pot stirring are awful.

Though not as bad as the fake Stein, Bozo.

Newcomer wrote:
Though not as bad as the fake Stein, Bozo.

true, at least that avatar was amusing.

DTMFA's picture

YAY! I love this conversation so much, because I love Fishtown and Kensington and I love food and I love being able to eat and drink locally. So much has popped up recently that I do not feel the need to venture out of the hood anymore to go out. Love Loco Pez, love Pickled Heron, love Soup Kitchen, love Thang Long. Leotah's had replaced Rocket Cat for me now; it's so much cozier. Obsessed with Franco's; I feel like I have to order the special on the weekly to satisfy my addiction. (Cardboard? You're breaking my heart!)

I live above York and would love to see more up in our area, but I think it may take a while. For example, that really cool place on the corner of Frankford and Huntingdon has been vacant FOREVER. I was excited about the look of that smiley-face place, but now you guys are saying that may be a while. Excited for Pizza Brain and Little Baby's. Never heard of El Rodeo; I will check it out. OK, that's my whole excited rant, any more hidden gems I should know about?

DTMFA wrote:
whole excited rant, any more hidden gems I should know about?

if you haven't yet venture north and east to Hinge for brunch, more than worth the trip under the scary Lehigh underpass.

DTMFA's picture

Heading to Hinge this morning...will report back.

Patiently waiting for the April menu...it's a sickness.

DTMFA wrote:
Heading to Hinge this morning...will report back.

Love Hinge. And I also love the Mercer Cafe.