BUBBA'S (texas) BBQ

Scratch that.... 7-11 has "grand" opening tomorrow... with event by WMMR.
Sorry to get hopes up... sign was in Bubba's window.

yay!

TLP's picture

Finally!

Funny, I listen to MMR every day, and I could have sworn they said they would be at the 7/11...not Bubba's?
Are you sure?

Are you sure?

And the plot thickens....

TLP's picture

A grand opening for a 7-11?

are they giving away free slurpees?

Slurpees are the one thing 7-11 has on WAWA

TLP wrote:
A grand opening for a 7-11?

It's more representative of the WMMR demographic.

Giving away a "NOOK" I think, whatever that is.

Giving away a "NOOK" I think, whatever that is.

I think it's what the kids call a homeless man with his pants down.

a joint grand opening?

"Try our North Carolina-Style Pulled Pork and Red Slurpee Combo Special."
"Free cheese-like sauce on every hotdog with purchase of red beans & rice."

a joint grand opening?

That would be nice but I just walked by a sign and swore it said 7-11.

floppysoles's picture

I would like a bowl of Boiled Peanuts

Here I sit broken hearted, paid a quarter and only farted.

floppysoles wrote:
I would like a bowl of Boiled Peanuts

They go great with steamed hams.

Susquehanna's picture

Giving away a "NOOK" I think, whatever that is.

I think it's what the kids call a homeless man with his pants down.

Funny you should mention that. On Tuesdsy night there was a homeless man sleeping with his pants down on the side entrance of Bubbas. No lie. I shared that with my lady who who asked me why on earth did I show it to her.

new kenzo's picture

"vinegar of lil richard ninja" , yo

Great. Now I am going to have nightmares about those snuggie people.

panderson's picture

homeless guy with 3 pairs of pants... all down.
but to be honest, I quit counting after 3...

That is way-overkill for a BBQ joint.

That is way-overkill for a BBQ joint.

all you really need is a shack a smoker and some picnic tables

BUT

I am still super excited and think it looks great. Even if it's more Dallas' West-Village than Hill Country

new kenzo's picture

That is way-overkill for a BBQ joint.

looking at that picture, I'd say it was no where near overkill, especially from a guy like you who should definitely have familiarity of that term.

"vinegar of lil richard ninja" , yo

lighterthief wrote:
That is way-overkill for a BBQ joint.

all you really need is a shack a smoker and some picnic tables

BUT

Just carbon-copy Bill Miller's BBQ or Rudy's. The owners of those two BBQ chains are megamillionaires. They don't put much into their interior. It's all in the food.

Kuishimbo's picture

TLP wrote:
A grand opening for a 7-11?

It's more representative of the WMMR demographic.

The deaf like 7-11's?

How often do you have to replace the "I" key on your computer?

c0llins's picture

Yes, I definitely put a much higher value on food quality than decor, but I think the interior looks great.

dmandy's picture

According to this ad on Craig's List, they are opening in September

ronchito's picture

According to this ad on Craig's List, they are opening in September

Which year?

dmandy's picture

ronchito wrote:
According to this ad on Craig's List, they are opening in September

Which year?

Good question

According to this ad on Craig's List, they are opening in September

Not so great , they are looking for employees on CL .. has the star gotten to expensive ? maybe they could find some free space in the Spirit community paper , with all there new found assets !

To be ones self and unafraid, right or wrong, is more admirable than the easy cowardice of surrender to conformaty. Irving Wallace.

FPDA's picture

The tile on the bar mixed with the antler chandeliers is kind of jarring. I'm happy to have two BBQ places in town, though!

dmandy's picture

They say in their ad that the manager will have to work some floor shifts and would be able to collect the tips. Any place I've work where managers worked the floor, they took the best shifts and the best sections. Also, if they are getting tips will they be paid the server wage? The last time I worked as a waitress, that was $2.86 an hour. Bubba's should hire enough servers and pay their manager a decent wage.

Quote:
Experience managing both guest's expectations and staff members moods

sounds like they are anticipating a good amount of discord LOL

probably should have been worded: ability to motivate staff and provide a great customer experience or something positive like that

HAZMAT's picture

Sounds like a recipe for disaster !

ExUnit4's picture

So. Bubba's in keeping with it's name Bubba's is looking to hire a Bubba

Speak softly, the dashboard cam has a very sensative microphone

dmandy wrote:

Geez. They haven't opened yet. While don't we give them a chance before condemning the way they (hypothetically) run their business?

dmandy wrote:

Yeah - that's being a little presumptive.

dmandy's picture

dmandy wrote:

Didn't know there was a schedule for commenting. Please forward me a copy.

dmandy wrote:

Didn't know there was a schedule for commenting. Please forward me a copy.

;)

Coder's picture

I'm just trying to figure out how they're keeping this place floating all this time, without any income from it.
They better make a bundle in a hurry.

dmandy wrote:

Didn't know there was a schedule for commenting. Please forward me a copy.

There's no schedule and I won't be baited into a snark argument. If you make a bunch of assumptions, expect to be called out on it from time to time. This is, after all, fishtown.us.

dmandy's picture

dmandy wrote:

Didn't know there was a schedule for commenting. Please forward me a copy.

But I'm not making assumptions, I'm talking about my own experiences. and I asked a question. If they are saying in their ad that a manager may have to work floor shifts, they are saying that they may not be hiring enough servers. And from my experience in the restauarant business, when a business tells a manager they may have to wait tables, many times it's because they aren't going to be paid a decent wage but can make it up on tips. If the restauarnts you've worked in were different, I'm glad for you but this is my experience.
As far as waiting until they open until I comment, let me quote you, "This is, after all, fishtown.us."

Coder's picture

I would like to be made aware of one restaurant in this city that doesn't screw over it's employees.
Other than the Melrose Diner, and that was before it was sold, it might rob them now too, for all I know.
Its a crap business, which is why most people do it while they're going to school for something else.

dmandy wrote:

Didn't know there was a schedule for commenting. Please forward me a copy.

You're making assumptions about Bubba's possible business practices based on your past experiences in similar establishments.

Just because you had that experience doesn't mean that Bubba's, and thus the workers they hire, are going to have the same practices and thus the same experiences as you with your former employers.

They might, but they also might not. Let's hope for the best, and give them the benefit of the doubt before they even open their doors.

dmandy's picture

austen wrote:
dmandy wrote:

Didn't know there was a schedule for commenting. Please forward me a copy.

You're making assumptions based on your past experiences.

Just because you had that experience doesn't mean that Bubba's, and thus the workers they hire, are going to have the same practices as your former employers.

Sweetie, I'm expressing an opinion based on my 30+ years experience in the resauarant business. Last time I checked the rules for Fishtown.US, that was allowed. again I will ask, if there is a schedule for commeting, please forward a copy. If there is a list of places, things , people, whatever that we are allow to express an opinion about, please forward me a copy. You are allow to have you opinion and post it and so am I. I'll be waiting for that schedule and list.

fuzzybottoms's picture

Slightly off topic (but not really) ---
Am I the only person who finds that addressing others as "sweetie" to be incredibly condescending?

austen wrote:
dmandy wrote:

Didn't know there was a schedule for commenting. Please forward me a copy.

You're making assumptions based on your past experiences.

Do not let them into your head , seems most people are more comfortable there then yourself ! at least here on fishtown.us, And please forward that schedule to me also .... just saying ! "Sweetie"

dmandy's picture

fuzzybottoms wrote:
Slightly off topic (but not really) ---

I call everyone sweetie. No different than someone using Dude or Bro or Hon or Darling or any of the many many terms people use. Now who's making assumptions?

fuzzybottoms wrote:
Slightly off topic (but not really) ---

Nope.

fuzzybottoms's picture

fuzzybottoms wrote:
Slightly off topic (but not really) ---

It's just an opinion based on my 30+ years of experience.
(And I never accused you of making assumptions).

dmandy wrote:

I understand that you're stating your opinion, and that you've had decades of experience - but it's a little projectingly negative, dontcha think?

Let's hope that they don't operate like what you've been exposed to, and hope for the best, and give them a chance, instead of slamming them before they even open?

Right, darling? ;-)

HAZMAT wrote:

dmandy wrote:

Hazmat - Precisely whom are you speaking about? There is no 'us' or 'them'. I have noticed similar comments in other threads, I am confused.

dmandy - You are entitled to comment on whatever you choose. My comment, which was to wait until they open, was just a suggestion. I don't think it warranted your response, but you are still entitled to it. Your repeated suggestion of a commenting schedule, etc implies that you are being stifled because people disagree with you, which is not the case. Also, I, too, took your use of 'sweetie' as condescending, particularly in this context. I am glad to hear you didn't mean it that way.

dmandy's picture

HAZMAT wrote:

Don't worry sweetie, they aren't getting into my head. I've always had a hard time following the party line, use to get me trouble with the nuns. Will pass the schedule on to you when I get it.

austen wrote:
fuzzybottoms wrote:
Slightly off topic (but not really) ---

Nope.

It's only ok when your boss does it.

HAZMAT wrote:

Thanks :and fight on , sweatie ;)

HAZMAT wrote:

dmandy wrote:

Sometimes that happens , When you read to far into peoples thinking !

Why can't we do the animated smileys anymore?

Because I just want to do a big old side-eyeroll right about now.

dmandy's picture

HAZMAT wrote:

dmandy - Your repeated suggestion of a commenting schedule, etc implies that you are being stifled because people disagree with you, which is not the case. Also, I, too, took your use of 'sweetie' as condescending, particularly in this context. I am glad to hear you didn't mean it that way.

My comments about a schedule was in direct response to being told to wait before I commented about Bubba's hiring practices. My 30 + years experience in the restaurant business has taught me that it is very rare to find an owner who doesn't believe in paying their employees as little as they can. My experience has also made me aware of how owners word things so it looks like they are doing something good for their workers when they aren't. Having a manager work floor shifts is a very good sign that they are going to try to pay their manager as little as possible. It's the way the business works. I am basing my opinion on Bubba's ad and how i have seen those words translated into actions. Since I was using my experience and Bubba's ad for my opinion, I do take offense to being told that I need to wait to have that opinion.

ronchito's picture

So you're taking offense at someone else's opinion that suggested you wait before forming an opinion? Do you not see the circular logic here?!

ronchito wrote:

Yep, that about sums it up, sweetie.

I'm not sure I'm reading too much into things when you specifically say 'them'. You seem like a nice guy, we've met and I like what you do for the neighborhood. I can only speak for myself, but if you don't like something I do or say, I'm all ears :)

Coder's picture

Everyone needs to just step away from the keyboard for a minute.
Deep breaths folks, count to ten.

HAZMAT's picture

I'm not sure I'm reading too much into things when you specifically say 'them'.

Are you feeling like them ? never assumed them was to be specific towards any one , just a general term of more than one !

HAZMAT's picture

Stop editing your post , I'm confused enough with out any help ! And no I have no problem with you , Think you do great things for our community also !

HAZMAT wrote:

I'm not sure I'm reading too much into things when you specifically say 'them'.

No, not necessarily, just unsure where your comments were directed. I'm sure you can tell this already, but I prefer to address things directly. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't ignoring something that was brought up. I genuinely don't mean that in a snarky way, just trying to shoot straight.

We're good! :)

HAZMAT wrote:

I'm not sure I'm reading too much into things when you specifically say 'them'.

We're good! :)

;)

Catphilly's picture

Can we please just stop this and wish success to ANYBODY who opens up on Girard? The avenue has soooo much potential ... let's work with it!

Catphilly wrote:

Precisely.

HAZMAT's picture

Sorry but reality dictates that this will never be the case , we do maintain our liberal. conservative, democratic value of free will and speech ! RIGHT ?

Where's that Scanners head-asplode gif when I need it…

Neilpuck's picture

I just want to hear DMandy call me bro. That would make me laugh. In a good, non condescending, non assumption making, non us or them way.

Kuishimbo's picture

ronchito wrote:
According to this ad on Craig's List, they are opening in September

Which year?

Good barbecue takes time. You can't rush it.

How often do you have to replace the "I" key on your computer?

It's never opening. Just forget that it doesn't exist.

roma258's picture

It's never opening. Just forget that it doesn't exist.

If Pickled Heron opened anything is possible. This neighborhood must attract the most patient and/or laid back entrepreneurs in the world.

bonzombiekitty's picture

roma258 wrote:
It's never opening. Just forget that it doesn't exist.

Possibly. Still want to know how they are managing to even keep the place when it's been all but actually open for business for 8 months.

As I said before, I really hope the restaurant is good and does well. I plan on trying it out soon after it opens. But, I'm not exactly optimistic that it will be the case.

roma258 wrote:
It's never opening. Just forget that it doesn't exist.

But don't they realize the natives are restless... living with the potential for 2 BBQ joints, a fromagerie and a real sports bar is very trying on the patience. Get your business plans in order people!

dmandy's picture

Neilpuck wrote:

Yo, Bro how you doing? Everything good with you sweetie? Darling , how's the world treating you? Dude.
Did I miss any?

dmandy's picture

Coder wrote:
Everyone needs to just step away from the keyboard for a minute.
Deep breaths folks, count to ten.

Even better, two hours in the pool, everything is great.

Coder's picture

lighterthief wrote:
But don't they realize the natives are restless... living with the potential for a fromagerie

I'm not going to get over this "fromagerie" thing.
Can someone spell it out phonetically for me?
Can I just call it the cheese store, without being laughed out of the neighborhood?
More importantly, will they carry Cooper sharp? (joke, joke, I'm not that bad)

Well it's French so I assume you just don't pronounce the last half of the word

HAZMAT wrote:
Thanks :and fight on , sweatie ;)

If calling someone "sweetie" is condescending, what about calling someone "sweatie?"
Sometimes a typo can really turn a burn up to 11.

Love is a Mattlefield.

Jayallday's picture

Matt Benatar wrote:
HAZMAT wrote:
Thanks :and fight on , sweatie ;)

Sometimes a typo can really turn a burn up to 11.

Well it was hot out today, sweatie ;)

Wherever you go, there you are

Coder wrote:
lighterthief wrote:

I'm not going to get over this "fromagerie" thing.
Can someone spell it out phonetically for me?
More importantly, will they carry Cooper sharp? (joke, joke, I'm not that bad)

I don't care if you call it "Château de Fromage de la Ville de Poisson" or That Fishtown Cheese Jawn as long as they sell cheese that would inspire New Kenzo to paint it.

kdlewis6's picture

my son goes to Hebrew school with the children of the owners so if their foods not good, don't tell me ok? The mom/wife owner is really nice.

PS..you guys crack me up, I might actually like most of you.

kdlewis6 wrote:

PS..you guys crack me up, I might actually like most of you.

BUBBA is a Jewish woman.? This just destroys every mental image I ever had about Texas bbq ...

kdlewis6's picture

haha...we are a multicultural congregation!

fuzzybottoms wrote:
Slightly off topic (but not really) ---

Well, bless your heart.
Don't you worry your pretty little head about it.

Y'all fight over the silliest little things.
Please try to get along.

Here's my suggestion -
grab a Chick-fil-A sandwich on Aramingo Ave, drive up to Ogontz Ave to volunteer for the Obama campaign, and during your downtime commiserate over the shameful disservice being done to Joe Paterno's legacy

I will pray for all of you(s).

austen wrote:
Why can't we do the animated smileys anymore?

Because I just want to do a big old side-eyeroll right about now.

I was looking for the "Beating a dead horse" emoticon. The conference call that I am supposed to be paying attention to actually sounds pretty interesting after reading this thread.....KIDDING FOLKS. JUST CHILL! Sheesh.

I will pray for all of you(s).

Thank you.

Newcomer wrote:
I will pray for all of you(s).

Thank you.

TH did not say what he way praying would happen to all of us though now did he?

HAZMAT wrote:
kdlewis6 wrote:

PS..you guys crack me up, I might actually like most of you.

Bubba is definitely NOT a jewish woman. He is a Polish guy from NJ!

now "Bubbie's BBQ" would be a fusion that Latkes and Ribs - Brisket on Rye... it could work.

Coder's picture

I will pray for all of you(s).

Don't waste your or gods time.

HAZMAT wrote:
kdlewis6 wrote:

PS..you guys crack me up, I might actually like most of you.

Bubba is definitely NOT a jewish woman. He is a Polish guy from NJ!

Kosher bobka and short ribs ?

ExUnit4's picture

Praying for others is never a waste of God's time. Praying for a conference call to end, however, well?

Speak softly, the dashboard cam has a very sensative microphone

lighterthief wrote:
Newcomer wrote:
I will pray for all of you(s).

Thank you.

TH did not say what he way praying would happen to all of us though now did he?

Oh. True. Well, I hope he was praying that I would get a cast iron skillet. From someone.

Kuishimbo's picture

Soul Man wrote:
Y'all fight over the silliest little things.
Please try to get along.

Here's my suggestion -

My mom used to always accuse my brother and I of fighting over a dog turd. Or the always classic, "He's looking at me!" battles.

After we stop at Chick-Fil-A, can we go to the Wal-Mart and then to Target to observe any differences in the class of people who shop at them?

How often do you have to replace the "I" key on your computer?

Kuishimbo wrote:
Soul Man wrote:
Y'all fight over the silliest little things.
Please try to get along.

Here's my suggestion -

It's all fun and games until someone pokes an eye out ! '-(

Newcomer wrote:
lighterthief wrote:
Newcomer wrote:
I will pray for all of you(s).

Thank you.

TH did not say what he way praying would happen to all of us though now did he?

I will be working on a few over the weekend - thanks for the reminder. It's in the works

hhkal's picture

Bubba's is going to be serving at the 2nd St. Festival on Sunday. Maybe we'll get some updates about the opening - http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=264961923603622&id=166588656726277

Coder's picture

chuckles wrote:
There is not one speck of real BBQ in Philly. It's hard to find boiled peanuts and fried chicken gizzards.

Ever been to Dwight's on G-town Avenue.
Not sure about the gizzards, but I've heard good things about it. Can't get near the place late night.
But you might not want to spend late night and Germantown and Erie.

FishtownYo's picture

I just spent 5 days in Memphis. I went to a different BBQ joint everyday for lunch and dinner. They were all incredible and most I spent was about 15 bucks (with a beer), most meals under 8 easily. The decor was never fancy in any of them, one was like a cafeteria, but my god was the food awesome. I can only hope Bubba's and the other place can be cheap and good.

What is so bad about religion is that it fosters a primitive form of morality that hinders progress in virtually any domain beneficial to our modern world.

Catphilly's picture

I spoke to them at 2nd st festival ... they are opening in October

…of 2012?

Catphilly's picture

yes ... of 2012 ... lol

Kuishimbo wrote:
Soul Man wrote:
Y'all fight over the silliest little things.
Please try to get along.

Here's my suggestion -

Only if you post the comparison here and use all of the derisive terms you know.

Just catching up. Guess I'm no longer the only one who sometimes paints with too wide of a brush.

Anyway, I say good BBQ is worth waiting for, so I hope this place is awesome!

new kenzo's picture

pickled heron was well worth the wait....

"vinegar of lil richard ninja" , yo

Dr_Fish's picture

I've heard of a BBQ place in South Philly, maybe on Snyder Ave. It's called Bomb Bomb. It has a really cool neon sign that says "Bomb Bomb." (Almost as cool as Fishtown Tavern's sign that says "BAR.") Anyone been to Bomb Bomb?

kdlewis6's picture

I ran into the owner of Bubba's as we were dropping our kids off at Hebrew School and it looks like they will be opening soon...they are seasoning their custom made cooker!! So excited!

FishtownYo's picture

kdlewis6 wrote:

Are you promoting hebrew school? Just curious, since your previous posts above mention it too.

hhkal's picture

FishtownYo wrote:
kdlewis6 wrote:

I wouldn't call mentioning where something happened or how you are related to people involved in an action "promoting" (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with promoting something).

kdlewis6's picture

promoting? Bubba's yes...lol, excited for some good barbeque. My son goes to Hebrew School, just started again last week, Art Classes, Karate and Soccer, it's one of the few ways I meet people as his mom as we moved to Philly 3 years ago.

If you are looking for a good sunday school or a great Karate instructor or soccer team, just send me an email, always happy to share what I have discovered for kids so far in this city. : )

kdlewis6 wrote:

I encourage you to post that information in the forum.
It's the kind of stuff this forum is meant for and I'd be happy to see more of it.

Bubba's is posting on twitter for bartenders and wait staff...

Susquehanna's picture

Ate here tonight. Went for the sampler, choosing brisket, ribs, and pulled pork. The ribs were the better of them. Comes with 3 sides. Chose the collard green, baked beans and slaw. All were good but the beans were the surprise and really well done. Also got the mac and cheese which lasted 5 mins. Smoke flavor in the cheese. You'll want to get that with whatever you order. Two beers, an appetizer and sampler is enough for two with some (not too much) leftovers. About $60. Good service and not too loud. There were some families and couples. Nice addition to the hood.

Jay19125's picture

Thanks for the review. My daughter and her mother are coming down here for a weekend next month, and barbecue is one rare thing we can all three agree upon (although I really want to push them into a 'pho crawl' kinda thing), particularly our picky 15-year old. Just may have to put this one on the list...

bonzombiekitty's picture

Went there last night. Tasty, but nothing overwhelming. It's worth a try, and I'll probably go back if I feel a hankering for BBQ - so maybe once every couple months.

Ted's picture

Good to hear they finally opened, hope it was worth the wait, going to try to get there this week.

Children are awful dogs are not