We need a STOP sign!

There have been 3 car accidents at the intersection of Thompson St and Dauphin St so far this year.

This intersection needs to become a 4 way stop. As of now, Dauphin St does not have a stop sign and Thompson St does. Since there is no stop sign on Dauphin St, cars park all the way to the end of the curb making it impossible to see oncoming traffic from Thompson St.

Yesterday's accident involved 5 cars. The car or suv that caused the accident sped off. A white truck then hit 3 parked cars on Thompson causing major damage to 2 of the parked cars.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? The Philadelphia Streets department was not helpful and referred me to call 311.

TLP's picture

The Traffic Engineering FAQ from Streets says to write to the Chief Traffic Engineer: http://www.phila.gov/streets/TrafficEng_FAQ.html

Not sure how long that takes for a response though. You could always try going through the Council office - Is Squilla the councilman up there?

or you could just "borrow" one from a less needy block and install it yourself

cme2niteudig's picture

There’s your problem; you have car owners who are parking to close to the corner. The only thing you can do is call the district and have them go out and ticket the cars. Or you can camp out in a lawn chair in the summer time and video tape that intersection and keep a count on how many cars blow that stop sign and send that info to street dept. or something

When the axe came into the forest, many of the trees said " At least the handle is one of us "

I live very close and I agree that this intersection needs another stop sign. If you think its bad on a car, it is a nightmare on a bike.

I wrote the traffic engineer about the intersection of Gaul and Boston a few weeks ago and have not even received an acknowlegement of my letter. I would recommend something that requires a signature so you know they have received it.

Also, I have not explored this but something tells me the PPA may be able to install 'No parking from here to corner' signs that may improve visibility.

Get a bunch of old women together, put your beach chairs up, and sit in the middle of the intersection.
That's how we got most of them around here.

So, are you busy?

ExUnit4's picture

Agree, this corner is a mess. However, all the signs in the world ref noparking will not work around here. Lord knows people are parking right to the corners on every block( including in front of the garage at that corner). Learning HOW to park is the issue, as in you don't leave 3-4 feet betwen cars just so you can have an easy way out in the morning. Thats why many are forced to park into intersections ( that and too lazy to walk the 4-5 blocks after finding a legal spot). Of course, all the new urban pro's coming into area with their 2-3 cars per house( many with out of state tags and work ads on the sides or cars or commercial vehicles which have no business on our streets in the first place) aren't helping.

Speak softly, the dashboard cam has a very sensative microphone

LOL@ blaming the new 'urban pros' (get tired of hipster?) for the parking situation

ExUnit4 wrote:

Sorry you feel that way, but even if 'no parking' signs prevent 1 person a week from messing up the visibility in this intersection, I think it's worth it.

Also, strangely enough, a lot of the 'new urban professionals' I know are single car households. Not saying it's the rule, of course multiple renters in one unit are a different story entirely. There are plenty of people that have been here for many years that are 3 vehicle households as well.

stbenjamin's picture

ExUnit4 wrote:

Funny, on my block the people with multiple cars (including family members from all over the neighborhood) and out of state tags are the long time residents.

That is not to say I view it as a new/old thing, but don't ujst blame one group for taking more space than they need.

liverspot's picture

Call and complain to your Councilperson.

Love all

kwhln215's picture

A stop used to be there . No idea why it was never put back up . its been years since one hasnt been .

So, are you busy?

So, are you busy?

Of course I am.

kwhln215 wrote:

I was going to post that the other day but then thought the memory might be wrong. Oh! I'm so glad that the mind isn't that far gone. :)

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

steveeboy's picture

it needs a stop sign, agreed. but whether or not cars are parked close to intersection is irrelevant if you just be aware of situation and use eyes, ears, etc. to discern whether or not car is barreling down street. Most residents are aware of that intersection and thus tend to slow down or even stop at that Thompson even though there is not a stop sign. I am gonna guess that almost all of the wrecks are caused by those idiots who are speeding anyway and then some other idiot thinks they get to cross and they assume there is a 4 way when there is not. And if you are on a bike, I really think you need to open your eyes and ears, sitting up on a bike it is easy to tell if there are cars coming, much easier then when in a car. the last thing we need is more PPA/PPD ticketing cars for parking "too close" to intersection because some people cannot figure out how to cross the street. put a stop sign in, all will be well.

steveeboy wrote:

While I respect your opinion, I couldn't disagree more. I have to cross through that intersection when I leave my house. People blow the stop sign going northbound on Thompson constantly, and its impossible to anticipate this occuring with the viewing angles during the day since headlights are not visible.

While I can understand your perspective, you really don't know me or how I ride a bicycle. I am VERY diligent and unfortunately there is no amount of heightened awareness that is going to help me when people blow a stop sign. Just because I am 5'1" doesn't mean I should be at an increased risk of being hit.

The reality is there are several handicapped ramps at that intersection that are blocked regularly. Plain and simple, that is illegal.

cme2niteudig's picture

Cars parked too close to a corner, which interfere with the turning radius. Philadelphia Code 12-9131(1)(b)(iii) prohibits parking within 20 feet of a crosswalk at an intersection.

So the City did put up a stop sign going eastbound at this corner, so Dauphin and Thompson is now a 'four-way'. Visibility still sucks though because they didn't put crosswalks in.

edit: I'm not the one who called, but thank you to whomever did!

steveeboy's picture

YES! KUDOS to whomever got this one done. Stop sign in and intersection marked "4 way."

Of course, not gonna trust it for a while cuz sure as hell some DWI/DUI/Nodding junkie is gonna keep driving like it is not there.

But the four way is nice.

Could have been someone on here or in a pol's office because they frequent these boards, too.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl