Stuff they say in Philly

Warning: foul language.

This made me laugh. Especially at 4:00. That's Fishtown, baby.

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

I don't really want to comment on the phrases they use, but their contrived philly accent is horrible. it sounds more like the yinzer accent in pittsburgh (if you aren't familar, look up "pittsburgh dad" on youtube) than anything i have ever heard in philly.

ExUnit4's picture

They left out HuntingDON Park. as in HuntingDON Park Ave, And isn't it ( as Mary Mason always said) Sept er as in Sept er Buses are on strike.

Speak softly, the dashboard cam has a very sensative microphone

dmandy's picture

ExUnit4 wrote:

It's Hunting Park Ave, no don on it

ExUnit4's picture

You and I both know that. But try explaining that to folks in North, south, west, G Town..even Olney. let alone certain radio stations that continually add a DON or TON to the end of the name.

Speak softly, the dashboard cam has a very sensative microphone

dmandy wrote:
ExUnit4 wrote:

It's Hunting Park Ave, no don on it

I have had clients who live on Hunting Park Ave, and it almost assuredly is pronounced "Huntingdon Park Ave".

dmandy's picture

Leo wrote:
dmandy wrote:
ExUnit4 wrote:

It's Hunting Park Ave, no don on it

Just because a few people don't know the street they live on doesn't change how Hunting Park Ave is pronounced.

As soon as the dude said "hoagie" you could tell how bogus it was. Where were those people from? Baltimore?
I can't be sure until I hear them pronounce "Seskie".

dmandy wrote:
Leo wrote:
dmandy wrote:
ExUnit4 wrote:

It's Hunting Park Ave, no don on it

I know that. Likewise Armingo and Aaal-mond and Saaaal-mon are Aramingo, Almond, and Salmon, respectively. But it's a local pronunciation, so I am not going to fight it.

dmandy's picture

Leo wrote:
dmandy wrote:
Leo wrote:
dmandy wrote:
ExUnit4 wrote:

It's Hunting Park Ave, no don on it

no it is not local pronunciation, it is people not bothering to know where they live. There is a difference between pronunciating something differntly and getting the name wrong.

milkbox's picture

I had an Australian house guest for a year who pointed out "Daw-fan" street to me... I don't think I've ever heard a local call it that, gave me a laugh...

KingDingAling's picture

My favorite is listening to outsiders trying to navigate the pronunciation of the street that is Sepviva. I've heard Sa- viva-va, Sep-vi-va and so on and so forth...

When the king speaks, fishtown.us would be wise to listen.

Kuishimbo's picture

The hallmark of the Philly accent is really inconsistent vowel sounds. We have a lot of words that should rhyme but don't. "Home" and "gnome" rhyme in most accents, but not in Philly. Same thing with "dog" and "frog". The problem with these kids is that they took some examples of the Philly accent and then overgeneralized it. That is part of the reason it sounds so strange. The Philly accent is known for how difficult it is to imitate it consistently. That's why there's never been a movie set in Philly that truly gets the accent correct.

Here are some good articles if you are seriously interested in the accent.

How often do you have to replace the "I" key on your computer?

sandi

KingDingAling wrote:

Well... Which one is it?

"If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, the excitement, and the mystery of the world we live in." --Rachel Carlson

KingDingAling's picture

How do you actually say it? Is that what you're asking me? If so, are you asking me to test me or because you truly don't know?

When the king speaks, fishtown.us would be wise to listen.

I hear Almond pronounced "Awwlmin" around here.

Sometimes Norris is "Gnawrissss", like you're gnaw'in on beef jerkey.

spui's picture

I was born and raised in Philly the Tack-ony section. Most people refer to it as Ta-cony. It cracks me up how the accent changes by neighborhood like when I moved around here and heard people call Girard st called Gir-rod oh and Clementeen st cracks me up.

sandi

KingDingAling wrote:

I truly don't know.. and I live on the street.

The weirdest one is OPAL ST and SIEGAL ST. Oh-Pow instead of Oh-puhl.

Sea-gull instead of the Philly tendency to want to say "Ciggle".

Normal: Your beagle wiggles. (This doesn't rhyme)

Philly: Yer biggle wigglz. (In Philly, this rhymes)

ExUnit4's picture

It's Sigel and 1 block of Little sigel Street in S Philly Not Siegal

Folks down there say it like C Gal

Speak softly, the dashboard cam has a very sensative microphone

ExUnit4 wrote:

i hear this all the time and it drives me insane.

My husband and his family call CRAYONS, CROWNS. Seriously, how the heck do you get CROWNS? IT DRIVES ME INSANE.

Kat wrote:

crayola makes crans.

Kat wrote:

argh, i can't stand that. bozoloper says "crans", as well as "crick" for creek and "well" for while. so annoying.

a crick is smaller than a creek. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/crick

We always said crick, even though we'd have to go to Jersey to actually see one.

Wait, I'm lying...Pennypack is a crick, so is Wissahickon.

Crick/Creek is the same out in western PA. if it was big enough to warrant having a proper name, it was a creek. the little thing in our backyard that dried up in the late summer when we stopped getting enough water was a crick.

also, adding a 'r' to the end of words that end in a short 'a' sound (idea, China) is stereotypical of England and other countries of the former british empire, much like referring to Z as Zed.

this is always how i understood it. the east branch of the perkiomen creek runs through my parents yard. it is a crick. the main branch of the perkiomen is much larger. it is a creek.

Kat wrote:

crayola makes crans.

I say cran. I will not hear criticism from anyone with a Pennsylvania yarble.

Love is a Mattlefield.

Matt Benatar wrote:
Kat wrote:

crayola makes crans.

I say cran. I will not hear criticism from anyone with a Pennsylvania yarble.

it's a silent "yo".

meredith wrote:

I'm sure you'll find it endearing once you become Big Mama B.

Newcomer wrote:
meredith wrote:

I'm sure you'll find it endearing once you become Big Mama B.

nevaaaaahhhhh

They'll have this to look back on during the deposition.

I've got friends in upstate New York who use "crick" as well. Not a Philly thing, even if it's used here as well.

With the accent, I've found it to be anything BUT universal---even among those born and raised here. I know some folks who have been here forever and have barely a trace of it, while others have it so thick it almost seems like a parody. Just like what I experienced living in Boston...I suspect it's more a matter of socioeconomics and family patterns rather than something everyone native to here carries with them. Clearly, that's not the case.

I've got both sides of that coin in my own family, actually, but I am NOT going to start saying "swimmo," sorry. :)

Kat wrote:

How do they pronounce "crown"?

FishtownYo's picture

Back in 1992 I was in San Ysidro, CA coming back from Tijuana and stopped into a 7/11 at like 7 am. A homeless guy asked me for money, I spoke with him for about 30 seconds. The next thing he asked me was if I was from Philly. I gave him 5 bucks for the perfect guess. Turns out he was from here too, Cali just didn't work out the way he wanted it to.

I travel a lot and people always comment on my accent. Especially in Ontario.

What is so bad about religion is that it fosters a primitive form of morality that hinders progress in virtually any domain beneficial to our modern world.

Newcomer wrote:
Kat wrote:

How do they pronounce "crown"?

CROWN! That's why it drives me insane!!!

Kuishimbo's picture

Newcomer wrote:
Kat wrote:

How do they pronounce "crown"?

I'm a speech therapist in the school district. 3-4 times a year I have to teach a first grader the "crown" versus "crayon" lesson. I work with a first grader this year who says "crying", "clown", "crown" and "crayon" all exactly the same way- cown. It can be very confusing.

A few years ago, I was in DC and a homeless lady asked me what time it was. I said, "A quarter of six". She started laughing at me, and then mocked my accent. She was making all of her homeless friends laugh by saying "A quarter of" just like I did.

How often do you have to replace the "I" key on your computer?

Kuishimbo wrote:
Newcomer wrote:
Kat wrote:

How do they pronounce "crown"?

My wife is a speech pathologist (at Nazareth). She hates my Philly accent.

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

apparently if you get me drunk enough my (modified) yinzer accent starts to become pronounced. I don't think I have much of one (at least as far as pronunciation goes) in sober conversation but I suppose people who have actually talked to me may object.

liverspot's picture

Bi shimbe hairambi

Love all

roma258's picture

I'm confused, why do half the people in that video sound Australian?

Kuishimbo wrote:
Newcomer wrote:
Kat wrote:

How do they pronounce "crown"?

My husband's family makes fun of me all the time. I am from Southern California. They laugh that I pronounce Tulip "Too-Lip". They pronounce it "Toolp" His mother calls the street and the fish SALMON - prounouncing the L. AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH Oh one more thing and then I am done. If WATER was supposed to be pronouced WUDDER, than WaWa would be pronounced WuWu. That is all.

picture/pitcher is always a great one.

meredith gives me a lot of crap over "miracle". it is not a meeeeeracle.

picture/pitcher is always a great one.

meredith gives me a lot of crap over "miracle". it is not a meeeeeracle.

i do not extend the long E sound.

it is also not pronounced "mehracle".

meredith wrote:
picture/pitcher is always a great one.

meredith gives me a lot of crap over "miracle". it is not a meeeeeracle.

i do not extend the long E sound.

it is also not pronounced "mehracle".

mahricle