Brooklyn Expats in Kenzo

I found this kinda entertaining, with requisite highs and lows about living in Philly. It does seem kinda ridiculous that one borough gets compared to ALL of Philadelphia.

Heh.

Gotta love the prats featured in that article. Next thing you know, they'll be moving to Portland.

Edit: Called it. The comments.

Pacific Northwest Escape wrote:
I moved to NYC three+ years ago to work in book publishing; but now I work in environmental advocacy. Since I'm no longer tied to the city because of a career (publishing) that exists almost exclusively in New York - I'm lookin to downshift to a different pace. Forget Philly though - I've got my eyes set on the Pacific Northwest.

Also - I've been living in PLG on Ocean for the last 2.5 years as well. The Park, my bike (and formerly, our dog) are the only things that keep me sane here.

Tom Sullivan wrote:
I almost defected to Portland earlier this year, and ultimately decided against it due to the very high (er, higher than NYC at least) unemployment rate out there, but I still want to check it out sometime. Apparently Brooklyn and Portland swap people on a regular basis.

In defense of Philly, the one time I visited was very lovely, but the lack of 24 hour public transportation was an issue. Given that I shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car if at all possible (super nervous driver), I'd rather live in a place where I wouldn't have to rely heavily on a car to get anywhere. I don't know how bike friendly Philly is, though I'm sure someone on here can comment on that.

Who are these maroons?

"Apparently Brooklyn and Portland swap people on a regular basis."

Who lives in Brooklyn, wants to move to Portland, but somehow is so unhip that they could say something like this?

KingDingAling's picture

I want to move to Portland like I want to sit through an Easter Sunday mass.

When the king speaks, fishtown.us would be wise to listen.

Quote:
hiladelphia is a ****hole. i moved here after being gentrified out of brooklyn . unless all you want to do with your life is drink cheap beer & smoke cigarettes , you will die here. every intelligent or creative person i've met in my 5 years here has moved to brooklyn. we are left with the no talents & losers who think phila is a cool place because they can get cigarettes at half the price they cost in ny. also, after 25 years of riding the ny subways with no problem, i was immediately punched in the head on the phila subway (also was robbed on a bus.) septa told me i should've brought a gun. if you want to begin a slow death, then move to philadelphia. (also, if you don't get a pennsylvania i.d. immediately, you will have lost your right to vote -as just happened to me.)

I like this one

Could not even read the whole thing it made me want to vomit a bit. I won't even start on my opinion of today's dedicated "brooklynites" but BK was never my borough. There are some great places there but the whole "I grew up in Des-Moines but now I am so freakin Brooklyn" thing drives me nuts along with all the rolleyes I got for living in Queens

and maybe for the first time I agree with the King, the thought of Portaland for more than a short visit makes me want to slit my wrists

I will admit loving Philly did not come easy, but it is definitely not about comparisons to NYC it's a whole other kind of place. You have to love somewhere for what is is not how it resembles somewhere you would rather be.
* triggered the profanity filter

roma258's picture

It's funny, the only city other than Philly I'd want to move to is maybe LA, if just for the weather, beach and awesome bike roads. Other than that, I love Philly. It sneaks up into you and becomes part of you. Even the negative stuff, you can't shake it.

Frank Jones's picture

Every where I go people have intense pride about where they live and love it warts and all. Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Brooklyn, Charleston SC, Queens and Philadelphia.

All these places are either "better than you think" or people end up liking where ever they live.

It is nice to be so privileged that you can be oblivious to a pretty popular stereotype in the canon of racism.

All those places, except cleveland.

The whole West Coast vibe (at least what I've seen on TV - the furthest West I ever lived was New Mexico) just annoys the heck out of me. People from Brooklyn annoy me too, so maybe there is some cross over there.

i'm tired of hearing that the subway doesn't run at night. there is a night bus. it's not pleasant, but it's there.

Lot's of spoiled kids with no work ethic and a sense of entitlement. None of them realize that they will wake up one day and be 40 years old still living with roommates and eating ramen. At that point they will be looking forward to their parents dying for the inheritance.

2014 york wrote:

pft. You're just lucky.

ForeverChanges's picture

"....And Julie’s content to make art and work at a jewelry store."

My 'Trust Fund Detector' just started beeping like crazy!

fuzzybottoms's picture

I hated living on the West Coast. I loved living in the south (although New Orleans is a pretty unique place to begin with) and I love being on the east coast. West Coast? Couldn't get out of there fast enough.

I dont really think NoLa counts as the south.

lighterthief wrote:
Quote:

I like this one.

I would like to thank whoever it was that punched this person in the head.

fuzzybottoms's picture

I dont really think NoLa counts as the south.

If you define 'south' by culture and the people, then it definitely counts. It's unique for sure, but still the south.

ForeverChanges's picture

Also, someone wrote an actual '6th borough' piece?... In 2012?.... Careful with that antique!

fuzzybottoms wrote:
I dont really think NoLa counts as the south.

It's most definitely the South. It's even "more South" as soon as you hit Metarie and venture into the suburbs. Swampland with tall pines spaced inches apart, mudbug restaurants everywhere, Bubbas on fanboats and gator wrestling? Yes sweetie, that is the South.

I would like to thank whoever it was that punched this person in the head.

yeah, i'm thinking they had it comin'

lighterthief wrote:
I would like to thank whoever it was that punched this person in the head.

yeah, i'm thinking they had it comin'

Hipsters should be forced to sit and watch at least 5 Flyers games before they're allowed to live here, or breed.

roma258's picture

Interesting that we've had 2 articles in consecutive months dumping on us. Fishtown- if Charles Murray and hipsters from Brooklyn both hate us, we must be doing something right.

Quote:

of course this part pretty much sums up my life's ambitions so....

lighterthief wrote:
Quote:

of course this part pretty much sums up my life's ambitions so....

Ironically, it's never been my ambition, however, it's in the genetic makeup, so it's really just a way of life.
The ambitious part would to stop drinking beer and smoking cigarettes.

The ambitious part would to stop drinking beer and smoking cigarettes.

I thought it was to get everyone to drink expensive beer and smoke weed.

I recently had a hipster tell me about eating meals from the garbage. He felt he was a better person for not buying food. He also views working for anyone a form of slavery. I hate that people waste so much food but he's really just a freeloader. He can't grasp the idea that the discarded banana he found in a dumpster came at a cost to someone who works and that they deserve something in return.

roy keen's picture

oh, a freegan? or a crust punk?

Or the laborers who picked the Chiquita banana, put it in the box, stuffed it into the shipping container or the boat captain and skips who set sail to Philadelphia to unload it down by the Produce Terminal, the drivers that unloaded it, the store that sold it, the person who worked to get paid a salary to pay for the banana (and all the people who labored to ship it)... etc.

roma258's picture

Seriously, of all the fruits to boost your anti-global capitalism street cred, a banana is not the way to go.

Those people were paid by the person who originally paid for the banana. Freeloader isn't the right word for dumpster divers, anymore than it would be for metal/plastic recyclers. The act of throwing something out is to assign at negative value to it (you are paying something to take it out of your life). The dumpster diver, whether its for food or other items, is extracting value from something the original owner has decided was without value. It is no different, conceptually, than buying a raw materials at a relatively low cost, then creating a finished product whose value exceeds the cost of the material.

and before you argue that "well if everyone was a dumpster diver then there wouldn't be anyone to put stuff in the dumpster" that goes for all other jobs. If everyone was building houses, who would buy them? An efficient economy is a diverse economy.

I agree with you Stein but this guy is still a freeloader. He refuses to work and does nothing for society in repayment for what he consumes. I still can't figure out where he get's money for coffee.

He may be a freeloader for other reasons, and may do nothing for society on net (thats a pretty high bar, though, wouldnt you say?) but consuming things that would otherwise have to be transported (using gas!) to a dump and stored there is definitely doing something for society. At the very least, he's on par with our financial overlords in terms of benefit to society.

stbenjamin's picture

That article read like the interviewer really cherry picked the quotes, I can't imagine everything those people said sounding that douchey. Then again, maybe it was.

I haven't lived anywhere but this area, though I've visited places an was considering moving to Portland years ago when I lived in the burbs (then again I also considered moving to Silicon Valley after college, thank god I didn't). Coming from a suburban life, Portland was amazing and had a lot that my life seemed to be missing. Visiting last spring after being in Philly for a bit, it was underwhelming and a little too small. Seattle was the same way. I have friends complain about this city but I don't see myself living anywhere else for a long, long time. I still need to visit NoLa, but even for a Philadelphian the corruption and heavy handed police force might be too much for me.

Is it possible that contradictory views can both be right? I'm still going with his free lunch isn't free.

stbenjamin's picture

I hate that stupid bus. It disappears, it gets stuck in traffic, it's slow. I've walked home from center city to Fishtown and beat the bus.

stbenjamin wrote:

i think i've had a straight 50/50 split. i've gotten really lucky and had it be there as i exit the bar. i've also had the guy stop and pick me up at 19th even though it's not a night bus stop (he was sure to explain to me just how lucky i was he was driving). i've also given up and walked. that's the beauty of philadelphia, you can be almost anywhere from center city in two hours of walking.

The MFO is the chronic masturbater bus.

The interaction you have with your environment is key to your level of fulfillment. I could easily hate this city if I didn't have amazing friends/neighbors. I'd much rather live in a warmer climate, say Puerto Rico, but I could never walk away from all the people who I care about. If public transportation, shops, cheap rent... is tops on your list, your priorities will never bring you happiness.

stbenjamin wrote:

Every bus is bad. I often think the fact that SEPTA publishes a bus schedule is just part of some elaborate joke being played on everyone who lives here. And it's not even that the bus shows up late, I've waited an hour before for a bus during which 3 of them should have driven by. I check TransitView, not a single dang bus headed in the direction I need to travel.

Thankfully, I have no dog in the endless NY/Philly fight except that I find it completely pointless.

For me, I can't see spending the rest of my life here BUT I generally enjoy the heck out of Philly and when I eventually return to Miami (pretty much inevitable even if not my first choice) I'll always be glad I lived here for so long. This is a special place, warts and all. But what big city doesn't have those?

As for New York, I've never felt the need to actually live there but that doesn't mean I can't recognize it as one of the truly great cities of the world. To live this close and not take advantage of that proximity if you have the ability is just incomprehensibly moronic to me---but I know many who don't.

ForeverChanges's picture

The ambitious part would to stop drinking beer and smoking cigarettes.

You did something ironically?...Hipster!

FishtownYo's picture

ForeverChanges wrote:
"....And Julie’s content to make art and work at a jewelry store."

My 'Trust Fund Detector' just started beeping like crazy!

"Julie believes living in Philly means finally being able to cut the cord from your parents, even on a part-time job."

I never understood people who move out on their own only to have parents give them money each month. If my kid only worked a part time job and expected me to help, oh well.

Maybe its because I don't come from money, have a work ethic and moved into a house I could afford on my own. Everything in life I have, I worked towards and never enjoyed the company of those who have it handed to them. Reality is just skewed for them.

The "Julie" in this article sounds like a snot. Did she ever look around Brooklyn, notice all the other non-hipsters that exist and have have been existing without mommy and daddy?

What is so bad about religion is that it fosters a primitive form of morality that hinders progress in virtually any domain beneficial to our modern world.

FishtownYo wrote:

When hipsters and other new-Brooklynites use the word "Brooklyn" they do not actually mean the entire borough of consider all of it's residents only the "acceptable" and "cool" parts and people with maybe a nod to the historically quirky and ironic places like Brighton Beach & Coney Island. Places like Mill Basin and East New York are as much a part of their world as the moon. "Working Class" is just an ironic fashion statement not a mentality or value set.

ForeverChanges wrote:
The ambitious part would to stop drinking beer and smoking cigarettes.

You did something ironically?...Hipster!

I was a hipster before it was cool, unfortunately, giant hips were another genetic trait.

lstriar's picture

lighterthief wrote:

When non-hipsters and other new-Stereotypers use the word "hipster" they do not actually mean the entire world of hipsters or consider all of it's members, only the "unacceptable" and "annoying" parts and people with maybe a nod to the historically quirky and ironic people like Bob Dylan or Allen Ginsberg. People like those who work hard at Urban Outfitters or bust their serving food at a local establishment are as much a part of their world as the moon. Passing judgement is just a non-ironic statement that you don't like these kids today.

ForeverChanges wrote:
The ambitious part would to stop drinking beer and smoking cigarettes.

You did something ironically?...Hipster!

hopefully i'm not the only one who just cracked up at this.

Another gem:

Funny, I just saw a t-shirt yesterday on the internet that said "Brooklyn, the really, really expensive Philly."

lstriar wrote:
lighterthief wrote:

thats a very nice twist on my statement... but I know exactly who I am talking about and no, i don't like the entitled little brats very much.

Everybody want's to be a hipster, but nobody wants to be a "hipster".

lstriar's picture

Entitlement pretty much sucks in all forms.

lstriar wrote:
Entitlement pretty much sucks in all forms.

Unless you have the money to back it up. Then it just sucks for everyone around you.