Get Over Yourself

I have a friend who posts a new picture of himself, on Facebook, at least twice a week. In addition his posts are always about him. He's the worst offender but I've noticed lot's of others how have fallen into the self obsession habit. I found an article that sums up my feelings pretty well. http://meteuphoric.wordpress.com/2010/02/04/how-does-facebook-make-overt-self-obsession-ok/

BTW, I'm not thinking of anyone reading this so don't get defensive and think..he's talking about me.

My Facebook is usually filled with politics and cursing.

too much of my extended family is on facebook. that's why i have to come on here.

fuzzybottoms's picture

Just delete him. I dumped >300 people from my FB and it's been great.

I dont even think i have 300 people on FB to dump!

Facebook is societal cancer.

fuzzybottoms wrote:
Just delete him. I dumped >300 people from my FB and it's been great.

I can't believe I made the cut.

fuzzybottoms's picture

fuzzybottoms wrote:
Just delete him. I dumped >300 people from my FB and it's been great.

I can't believe I made the cut.

It was a tough choice, believe me.
I just had a lot of HS and college FB friends who I knew I'd never see again and really didn't have any interest in sharing things with them. It's much better knowing exactly who is seeing what I post.

fuzzybottoms wrote:
Just delete him. I dumped >300 people from my FB and it's been great.

I can't believe I made the cut.

With that many fb friends, a few that need to be deleted are bound slip through.

Am I the only one who assumed this post was about Stein?

I'm pretty good at ignoring/dismissing people i don't like, there is only one person I had to hide on my FB because seeing her head/avatar pop up made me mad every time. Beyond that I just scroll through. This is also probably why I am less perpetually annoyed by my neighbors than many.

that and pretty much all my friends are self-obsessed d0uche$ so if I deleted them I would be pretty lonely

Am I the only one who assumed this post was about Stein?

I rarely post pictures of myself on facebook? (i rarely get pictures of myself taken in general, actually)

Am I the only one who assumed this post was about Stein?

I just assumed from the way you go on and on and ON on this site about your personal life (it's a bit embarrassing frankly) that your fb page must be 10 times worse. I'm imagining the time line with an accounting of every meal consumed in the last 4 years with a pic of each.

At least he's not posting baby pictures

Are we talking about the same person here?

fuzzybottoms wrote:
Just delete him. I dumped >300 people from my FB and it's been great.

I can't believe I made the cut.

So true.

Although I am actually in the same boat. I unfriend in waves of 10 or so. Should make my 10 year reunion interesting.

My Facebook is usually filled with politics and cursing.

Mine is just poop and wieners, but not necessarily my poop or wieners, because I'm not a narcissist.

Love is a Mattlefield.

fuzzybottoms wrote:
Just delete him. I dumped >300 people from my FB and it's been great.

I can't believe I made the cut.

So true.

Thanks to FB there was no reason to even attend my 10 year reunion. I was able to find out from the comfort of home how miserable my classmate's lives turned out. And as far as the ones I would like to have seen in person, I still do throughout the year.

Many of my classmates now sport rebel flags on their bumpers and post those hit "like" if you love Jesus things on FB. They don't get friend requests from me.

I started to look up an old girlfriend one time but it made me feel creepy so I stopped.

don't let that initial creepy feeling stop you, it really is worth finding out she has two kids and lives with her mom.

And if I hadn't had that fleeting moment of sanity at age 17 that told me "RUN! RUN NOW! MOVE OUT OF THE STATE - IT'S YOUR ONLY CHANCE" I'd be sitting right there next to her on her mom's old green couch right now.

I generally enjoy fb but I think that's because I could care less about the mundane crap people post (your baby smiling because they have gas is not a miracle that must be shared with the world) and try to keep it funny.

I've had two 'stalkers' though, and that can be both creepy and highly annoying. Both of mine were college classmates who I barely had any relationship with and once they found me, wham! Nonstop pestering and prying. One girl who I literally had not had contact with in 20 years actually suggested I stay with "her Uncle" (a complete stranger) during a recent trip to Tennessee and seemed disappointed I wouldn't be doing that. Huh??

most of my hs FB friends are Wall St 1%ers or Trustafarians but hey it usually ends up where you start. Only a few are remotely interesting. I really did not look back when I left. Sort of strange knowing the details of peoples lives that I have no connection to whatsoever and never will. Still it can be entertaining.

george wrote:
I've had two 'stalkers'

Braggart

I went back on fb just because I'm so gd curious that I was afraid I was missing something. I still hate it.
I stare and stare at the search bar, and honestly, cannot think of one person I've ever met that I want to look up. If they were that interesting in the first place, I still know them anyway.
I think I'd be better on the "twit", as posting short sarcastic blasts is more my speed, but I can't handle a smart phone, so it is kinda pointless.
Also, you don't get invited anywhere anymore, unless you're a fb friend, (You know who you are!), but thats okay, I'll get my info from flesh and blood people, and find out what I wasn't invited to. Lol!
(And I hope you know I'm just testicle smashing.)

Braggart

I collect weirdos.

(And I hope you know I'm just testicle smashing.)

I'm inviting you to our first event of 2012 at the Garage Mahal. This Sunday is movie night. We will be screening Hugo and The Thing (1974). Doors open at 6pm and Hugo will start at 7pm. Bring whatever you like. We have beer available at our cost. 50cent Pabst (for the Hipsters) and Yengling/Kenzinger for $1 Bring whoever you like, it's open invitation. Anyone reading this is welcome to attend

2028 North Hancock St. Norris Square Park neighborhood.

2014 york wrote:
Anyone reading this is welcome to attend

you asked for it!

brooke's picture

george wrote:

Plenty of annoying crap on facebook...and guilty as charged. But keep in mind, some of us are posting these pics for faraway family. FB is a great way to avoid skyping.

Former attorney and current CITYSPACE real estate agent extraordinaire

I posted on a highschool friend's wall and my very first psychotic boyfriend answered my post. I almost threw up. I don't post on her wall any more.

ronchito's picture

Kat wrote:

Just how many psychotic boyfriends did you have, Kat?

2014 york wrote:
(And I hope you know I'm just testicle smashing.)

2028 North Hancock St. Norris Square Park neighborhood.

You are a sweetheart.

brooke wrote:

Oh, no doubt. Besides, the person I was actually thinking of in this scenario was a cousin of mine in Pensacola who I love dearly but posts EVERYTHING her baby does. I expect she'll soon be giving breathless details of the consistency and odor of her poop.

You just post pics of your absolutely gorgeous daughter, who I want to meet (and see you again too!).

Now wish me a happy birthday, luv.

brooke's picture

Aw, you're too kind and even if you felt you had to say that, I still like you more for saying it...haha. She's due for her first Applebee's visit (ie. Eating in the back of JB's) so maybe we will have to stop by soon when you're working.

Former attorney and current CITYSPACE real estate agent extraordinaire

Do people really expect that new parents will NOT post baby pics on FB? Come on...

brooke wrote:

Compared to the majority of moms your posts are fine and adorable. I think you may be one of two or three whose posts I have not had to block.

And of course you get an automatic pass because without you I would have been homeless.

2014 york wrote:
(And I hope you know I'm just testicle smashing.)

2028 North Hancock St. Norris Square Park neighborhood.

You are a sweetheart.

No, not really.

Slight change to the movie lineup. Netflix shipped us the 2011 release of The Thing.
The address is 2026-28 North Hancock St.

Hugo will start at 7pm (kid friendly)
The Thing will start at 9pm (adults only)

Doors open at 6 but the Garage door will be closed at 7. Anyone arriving after 7 should enter through the apartment (2026). We have a limited supply of beer/soda and will be popping popcorn. You are welcome to bring anything you like. This is a non-smoking event (indoors). If you drive, please park across the street or around Norris Square Park. We want to keep the neighbors happy and not take their parking spaces.

brooke's picture

brooke wrote:

Ha ha ha. You wouldn't have been homeless--you would have had a far inferior house though.

I didn't know anything a 6' tall woman could do/say was adorable, but I'll take it. And Newcomer, it's true--and posting pics of our babies takes away from the need for a while to show our big fat post-partum bodies to anyone. "Here quick: look at this adorable baby!"

I'm Facebook friends with a guy that writes bad poetry, is super skinny and naturally muscular and constantly posts that he's either at the gym or pics of his body...with comments that make me want to barf like "the body is an art form". At first I thought he was gay when I met him and I came to learn he was straight. I'm actually thinking he's just turned on by himself at this point.

Former attorney and current CITYSPACE real estate agent extraordinaire