Mr. Bourdain is Coming.

Cutter's picture

Oh, only after 12 years of shows.

Mr. Bourdain's previous disdain for this city makes me want to write him a snotty email and tell him not to come here unless he comes through me. Maybe I'd bring coder along to temper my attitude.

You catch many more bees with honey, than you do with vinegar.

YJB 2k12's picture

I could probably Google this, but figured I'd ask instead. What about this disdain?

That should be interesting. I few months ago, along with Mc Sweeny's, I launched a new magazine called Lucky Peach which is a collaboration of Anthony Bourdain and David Chang. It's a quarterly and is on it's third issue. Doing extrememly well which is great - it is really quirky and for the extreme foodie. A nice read, although I have had numerous calls that people are offended by the "f" word being used. That cracks me up as Anthony Bourdain = F Word. Duh!

I really hope he goes beyond the cheesesteak... although I really think he would find Lucky's interesting.

He seems like a real jerk but I enjoy him

You catch many more bees with honey, than you do with vinegar.

Whats funny is I am surprised you have never heard me say this, we probably don't see each other enough. Since I am in sales, it's pretty much my mantra.

However, I am entitled to quasi-irrational ire at people that I will never have an interaction with. Let's call it therapy.

YJB 2k12 wrote:

Me too. Inquiring minds want to know.

qbert4578's picture

A quick search turned up the following, which isn't exactly scathing, but I'm sure there is more out there:

qbert4578's picture

Oh, well, then there's this doozy: “Honestly, I’ve never even bothered with Philly,” says bad boy chef/author/TV host Anthony Bourdain to the Philadelphia Weekly's Josh Valocchi. "It seems to me it's a two-horse town: Starr and Perrier."

qbert4578 wrote:

tool

new kenzo's picture

qbert4578 wrote:

tool

goes to show he hasnt got a staff that actually does research. or that he doesnt even read the NY Times, which has spent plenty focus on Philly's restaurants. Besides, if he wanted to pull off a statement like that, at least say : Starr and Garces. Perrier hasnt been more than a lingerer for the last decade. Oh, did he overlook the James Beard foundation awards for Philly chefs?

"vinegar of lil richard ninja" , yo

gauler's picture

This town has plenty of story. Their excuse of not finding a hook to this place, is weak. IF only to cover the piazza (yeah, its a douchy place, but admit that Bart turned northern liberties into a place to go, not a place to buy drugs) Garces, Solomonov, Starr, and beyond that. Even just venturing in the Standard Tap, or Monks Cafe, which may or may not be the Grand Daddy to the brew pub menus in town. I think Philly is king of the Gastro Pub, and honestly maybe too much of it around. You start eating the same stinking food over and over again, nothing seems exciting, but its still good, better tasting food than in some other places iv'e been.

LA is king of the low brow, NY of the high, San Fran has its freshness, Boston Seafood, Philly = Beer food. Good quality beer, and the food that goes along with it. Its why places like Pez Loco is more exciting than another Johnny Brendas, or Kraftwork, or Draft house (and I like to eat at all three places, but I also like to see people be more adventurous at a low price than a burger, humus, chicken sandwich, mussels, and flatbread pizza).

If he comes, great, if he doesn't, who cares. This town has great food and Bourdain's crew will feed into his own hypocrisy which he has done in the past and he himself has acknowledged.

____________
Interrupted

I totally get the 'Disdain for Bourdain' (now THERE'S the first stanza of some bad poetry) but ultimately don't share that sentiment and kinda like the guy.

Seriously, what should he say to make people happy? That everything is interesting/wonderful/compelling? That would be both a lie and VERY bad television. I think he just pretty much calls things as he sees them in an isolated, edited slice of time. He's not doing a Chamber of Commerce promo.

Look, I know Miami REAL well and didn't find it much different than his (prior) take on Philly. He made fun of the tourist crap--perhaps in a cliched way but still kinda accurate--and then went off to eat barbecued goat in Little Haiti with actual locals who had no idea who he was. I like that.

If I wanted nothing but sunshiny, feel good travelogues I can watch Rick Steevs traipsing around Switzerland, y'know?

Bourdain can definitely be an adjective that pertains to male anatomy and rhymes with "stick" but he also has genuine chops in the industry and (I think) makes for pretty good TV.

I think he'll be fair with his next Philly go-round. Hopefully, anyway.

Susquehanna's picture

george wrote:

I think he'll be fair with his next Philly go-round. Hopefully, anyway.

Completely agree. Honestly, i think there's a good story in food to be discovered and make a great show here. I think it'll take someone like him to paint a good picture of us on a food show. Previous hosts have at best scraped the surface.

Frank Jones's picture

If I hear of a great place to eat I always wonder if I should tell everyone and risk never getting a table or tell no one and it goes out of business. (not that it's all up to me)

It is nice to be so privileged that you can be oblivious to a pretty popular stereotype in the canon of racism.

If anyone were asking me, I'd say the story should be the BYO phenomenon. You could eat through all levels of food. Take your $50 bottle of wine down town then a 6 pack of tiquate to the little Porto Rican place up North. As far as I know, Philly is really the only place that openly allows it.

I've come to the conclusion that alot of people dislike other people who speak their mind.
For whatever reason.
Personally, I like people who say things I disagree with.

stbenjamin's picture

It's a work-around for our bizarre and expensive liquor laws. I'd rather just have a restaurant pick the wine selection for me, they'd do a better job if they really cared.

stbenjamin wrote:

They may do a better job, however, a little place with 12 seats could never stay open if they had to buy a liquor license. Plus, it's really allowed people like me (on a budget) to explore the the more expensive places in town on a semi-regular basis. I'd never pay $20 and up for a meal if I were also paying $30 for a bottle of wine on top of it.

Restaurant wine is such a rip off.
I drink what I like, and I bring it with me whenever possible.
I could not care less what some snob faced guy thinks I should drink. It's a scam, to get people to believe they don't know enough to know what they like. (oh yeah, and to sell wine with ridiculous mark ups.)
Sommelier's are like diamonds, an invented importance.

Restaurant wine is such a rip off.
I drink what I like, and I bring it with me whenever possible.
Sommelier's are like diamonds, an invented importance.

Agreed.

I listened to an interesting piece on this recently. A couple blind taste tests revealed that trained industry sommeliers can get two pours of the same $10 wine, one they are told is $10 and one they are told is $30. They will overwhelmingly pick the more expensive wine and been found to *invent* differences in the characteristics of the same wine in order to explain the price difference. Pretty wild.

Makes me feel a little better about not spending bajillions of dollars on beer pairing dinners, its so subjective.

I expected to hear nothing about my comment, other than the sound of all the "foodies" falling off their chairs.
Glad I'm not the only one.

stbenjamin's picture

Glad I'm not the only one.

I can only say that a place with good wine does a better job than I do, even when I am at a decent liquor store (like Total Wine). I've had bad wine out too, but it is sort of like saying I can pick better beer than the bar owner. Maybe in some cases but not all. Plus then it is a separate trip (and in PA finding a store, and one that is open is a real pain). Also, then I am committed to drinking a whole bottle, I may have just wanted a glass.

As for the expense, I do wish PA were like other sane state, where a few hundred dollars gets you a license and then you can have a 12 person restaurant with an interesting wine selection. That is where the PLCB acts as a high barrier to entry for a lot of interesting restaurant/bar concepts I've been to in other states.

Le sigh. I stopped at the Total Wine on Naaman's Road on Friday. I had to limit myself to twenty minutes in there, otherwise it could have been a two hour trip (and much more painful to my wallet).

That being said, I hate dropping $40.00 in a restaurant on a bottle that costs $9.99 in the store. Because dangit, I WILL drink it all after paying said $40.00.

I just screw the cap back on and throw it in my plastic bag.

Atomic Larry's picture

Andrew Zimmern did a nice segment about Philly on bizarre foods.

Bourdain's disdain (see how i rhymed there?) for the gastropub is well documented so i dont think that would work. A BYO theme, however, would be the way to go. Another interesting topic would be to explore how the Italians are being replaced by the Vietnamese in the 'Italian' market. I'd like
to see him do a segment with Sonny D'Angelo (the game butcher) too. I bet they'd get along famously.

Atomic Larry wrote:

I think that's a really cool idea. Some of what I've seen done about the Italian Market seems like it's coming from a time warp, without recognizing how much of it has also become an Asian and Latin food enclave.

I'd compare it to what has happened to "Little Havana" in Miami, which ceased to be the main Cuban enclave years ago (it's far more populated with Central Americans now) but food reviews and travelogues invariably cling to the outdated perception of it.

You should call Bourdain!

Atomic Larry's picture

Restaurant wine is such a rip off.
I drink what I like, and I bring it with me whenever possible.

Sommelier's are like diamonds, an invented importance.

Agreed.

Wine prices are often more about supply and demand and have little to do with quality. Those 'experts' were being set up right from the start.

As a wine geek I think there is definitely an art to pairing food and wine. Maybe you've never experienced it (or even believe it) but a wine can taste better with the right food pairings or taste bad with the wrong. Sommeliers are familiar with the restaurant's menu/food and obviously have tasted the wines in the restaurant's cellar. So they're well suited to provide this service for casual wine drinkers who are paying a premium for a meal. They're not there to act snobby and tell you that one wine is 'better' than another but to help you maximize that matching experience. On the other hand you may know what you like to drink and not be interested in any of that stuff, and that's totally okay too.

I also agree that restaurant wine markups are just plain ridiculous and for that reason I'm all about BYOs. Philly might be the best BYO city in the country. And being into wine also makes it more fun since I can play sommelier myself. The only downside to that is that it sometimes requires you to know what you'll be eating before you even get to the restaurant.

Atomic Larry's picture

Atomic Larry wrote:

You should call Bourdain!

Haha. we could also take him to some good dive bars since he hates the gastropub.

I know alot of Italian-Americans dont like whats happening on 9th St but I actually dont mind the asian merchants at the italian market. I love the diversity and as long as places like D'Angelo's, DiBrunos and Claudios stay too, its all good to me.

barstool's picture

Is he going to eat at the greek place at Frankford and Girard? They have the very best food in Fishtown.

Coder's picture

I can't see the twitter at work! Where is he so I may stalk him?

Atomic Larry's picture

A colleague at work met him today at the 9th st Paesano's.

Through you?

I'm pretty sure he could just step over you...

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

They're supposed to be filming at JB's tomorrow but NOT with Bourdain along---so no reason to come by and gawk unless you want to gawk at me (I'll be wearing an ascot and heels)

george wrote:
(I'll be wearing an ascot and heels)

How's that different from any other time I've seen you there?

FPDA's picture

I love his show, but this had better be a love letter to our fine city.

FPDA wrote:
I love his show, but this had better be a love letter to our fine city.

I don't think his host will let him get away with too much trash-talkin' about Philly.

How's that different from any other time I've seen you there?

I'll be wearing pants this time.

FPDA wrote:
I love his show, but this had better be a love letter to our fine city.

I think it'll be fine. The one he did in Miami impressed me with how much he avoided the touristy, cliched version and actually went to spots that locals would.

FPDA wrote:
I love his show, but this had better be a love letter to our fine city.

Hard Rock Cafe, right?

Newcomer wrote:
Hard Rock Cafe, right?

Yes. And Burger King (which was founded in Miami).

In all seriousness, though, if I ever see another Miamicentric food special where they visit Gloria Estefan's overpriced garbagefest "Bongo's" and insist it's authentic Cuban I'm gonna throw a brick at the TV. Same with the Pat's/Geno's drearily predictable nonsense here. Pretty sure Bourdain will steer clear of all that crap.

Apparently he's already checked out the Mutter Museum - and most recently spotted at the Barnes.

FPDA's picture

So the general public outside of Philly will be finding out about not only our world-class restaurants, but also our world-class arts and culture?

I hope he doesn't mention our absurdly low cost-of-living when compared to other major cities, otherwise we may have an influx of outsiders...

Coder's picture

He was trying out the DiBruno's selection at the Thriftway!
Nah, but he was in the store down the market. Not too touristy.

Atomic Larry's picture

Hmmm I wonder if he's just gonna trash JBs as one of those pretentius gastropubs? ...btw, George as lifelong Philly native, there's nothing wrong with Pats/Genos. Toursity yes, but a cheesesteak from either establishment is tasty enough and a valid example of philly street food. Besides, Pat's DID invent the darn thing so you need to give them some props.

steveeboy's picture

according to his twats he ended up at Dirty Frank's with Han of HANDY NASTY fame, so I would say the "dive" aspect of trip has been completed...

Dirty Frank's is only a dive to people who have never actually been to a dive.

steveeboy wrote:

We're reading Moby Jerk but this gets past the filter?

Dirty Frank's is only a dive to people who have never actually been to a dive.

if he wanted an "authentic" dive he should have gone to Bob's HH

lighterthief wrote:
Dirty Frank's is only a dive to people who have never actually been to a dive.

if he wanted an "authentic" dive he should have gone to Bob's HH

Now we're getting somewhere. I haven't lost a Sunday afternoon in there in far too many years.

lighterthief wrote:
Dirty Frank's is only a dive to people who have never actually been to a dive.

if he wanted an "authentic" dive he should have gone to Bob's HH

Oh good lord.

That being said - we need to revisit a Girard Ave crawl akin to our recent Frankford Ave crawl.

lighterthief wrote:
Dirty Frank's is only a dive to people who have never actually been to a dive.

if he wanted an "authentic" dive he should have gone to Bob's HH

Oh good lord.

1) Known hater.

2) Yes, I think we just need to figure out which end to start at.

2) Yes, I think we just need to figure out which end to start at.

I think we start with tallboys of cobra in the 7-11 parking lot

1) Known hater.

2) Yes, I think we just need to figure out which end to start at.

Moi? A hater of Bob's HH? Surely you jest. ;-)

And - hmmm - I was thinking the Fire - but we need to consider what's in between that and, say, JB's.

1) Known hater.

2) Yes, I think we just need to figure out which end to start at.

Moi? A hater of Bob's HH? Surely you jest. ;-)

From the Fire I think we only have Wonder Years and Ozz to deal with before 7-11 parking lot and JB's. What is the anchor bar at the other end of Girard? Do we go all the way to JR's and just consider that part of Girard the way we considered Murph's part of Frankford? (I of course say this because it gets me closer to home)

bingo's picture

stbenjamin wrote:

Pittsburgh has lots of BYO's too. It's a state thing.

bingo wrote:
stbenjamin wrote:

Pittsburgh has lots of BYO's too. It's a state thing.

I guess I could appreciate the BYO scene here more if I was a wine drinker, but I'm the guy that shows up to BYOs with airplane bottles of whiskey in his pockets.

Atomic Larry wrote:

From what we've heard they're coming to film upstairs in what is considered one of the best music venues on the East Coast. Bourdain is an old punker, don't forget.

As for the cheesesteak thing, admittedly I just don't like them at all and neither establishment holds the slightest interest for me regardless of the roots/emotional attachment, etc. (which I totally get). Can't say it's really a 'Philly native' thing, though. Half my family IS from here with very deep roots in this town and not many of them are fans of them, either.

Now DiNic's or Sarcone's, that's another thing entirely!

Atomic Larry's picture

I'll be curious to watch that episode. JBs is like Punk rock meets the gastropub. Bourdain is going have an epic battle of conscience. How will he play it?

meh it seems fashionable to dump on Pats/Genos thesedays because of the tourist factor but I still think they make a decent cheesesteak (slightly prefer Pats over Genos). My favs are Shanks or Tony Lukes which arent that much better than P/Gs. DiNics is decent (they have a shack on the navy base where I work, about a block away). Admittedly, I never knew that Sarcones made cheesesteaks?

Atomic Larry wrote:

Probably should have worded that better. I just meant both establishments as sort of 'Philly Institutions' that do their own iconic sandwiches, rather than cheesesteaks. Sarcone's is only hoagies as far as I know. But what a freakin' hoagie.

Atomic Larry's picture

ahhh yes I was only talking cheesesteaks. Yep sarcones has great hoagies but Paesanos 'Daddy Wad' or whatever its called is about best hoagie style sandwich around IMO. BTW, I heard Bordain really liked the 'Liverache' which doesnt surprise me.

I'd have to skip Ozzzz. And I'd vote to include JR's.

Kuishimbo's picture

Atomic Larry wrote:

Now DiNic's or Sarcone's, that's another thing entirely!

Same here. We eat cheesesteaks when we don't feel like thinking about what to eat. If we are painting a room or hanging sheet rock, then we order some cheese steaks. I'll gladly take a DiNic's any day. It's not even close.

Also, I'm not crazy about Johnny Brenda's downstairs- I'm more a Murph's guy- but that music venue upstairs at Brendas is without a doubt the best venue in the city. Just everything about it is perfect. I love seeing bands play there.

How often do you have to replace the "I" key on your computer?

austen wrote:

I'd have to skip Ozzzz. And I'd vote to include JR's.

Why, you yellow?

Atomic Larry's picture

austen wrote:

I'd have to skip Ozzzz. And I'd vote to include JR's.

JRs is a pretty classic divebar. might as well stop in Les n Doreen's too if you are over that way. I dont quite consider Murph's a divebar. maybe it was at one point but they've upped their game the last few years.

austen wrote:

I'd have to skip Ozzzz. And I'd vote to include JR's.

Why, you yellow?

Yes, yes I am yellow. Plus they told me I can't come in as a patron on my off-shift days.

Kuishimbo wrote:

We take a lot of pride in that room and most of us up there have a lot of playing experience ourselves, so your words are appreciated. No question we have nights that suck (what venue doesn't?) but I will say we really do try VERY hard to make it a special place.

Downstairs is like a chameleon. I'm also not too much a fan of the crowd that rolls in there weekend nights but then again I'll sometimes stop by for brunch and it's very relaxing with good friends and conversation everywhere. It can be a very different place depending on the time/day.

austen wrote:
Plus they told me I can't come in as a patron on my off-shift days.

I read this as "my OFF-SHIRT days."

I thought "well, that makes sense."

austen wrote:
Plus they told me I can't come in as a patron on my off-shift days.

I read this as "my OFF-SHIRT days."

I thought "well, that makes sense."

See! Synchronicity. See you @ Atlantis.

So I've heard Bourdain has stopped at (among others) DiBruno's, Southwark, Dirty Frank's, Han Dynasty and Paesano's. Not bad choices at all even if I'm not much of a Dirty Frank's fan. Apparently, we haven't had a final word if they'll be filming at JB's but if so it would be tomorrow rather than today and sans Bourdain himself. I suspect it would just be for some brief "other stuff to do" addendum to the program.

No word if he's been able to experience one of Philadelphia's world famous ginger lattes.

JedicusMaximus's picture

george wrote:

This is hands down the best thing I've come across today.

10011101

JedicusMaximus wrote:
george wrote:

This is hands down the best thing I've come across today.

Is that when you beat up a red head and then pour your coffee on him?

austen wrote:

I'd have to skip Ozzzz. And I'd vote to include JR's.

Why, you yellow?

I will be part of no pub craw that ignores the gem under the El known as Ozz.

steveeboy's picture

pretty much half of the bourdain agenda is just copying this Vice show: http://www.vice.com/munchies/brad-spence
warning, NSFW due to crude Chef language and food analogies...

george wrote:

I heard they ate at Amis also. Nice list. i like DF's and I think Southwark is the most overrated place ever.

Coder's picture

At Amis, the first words out of his mouth were "I should have come sooner".
Now that he loves us, we can start hating him.

Jesus. Pete should have left Vetri and Bourdain alone; they look like they're gonna start making out any second.

Coder's picture

I'd pay to see that.

Newcomer wrote:

hahahahahaa

Atomic Larry's picture

I think I would have made out with Vetri if he wanted during my meal there. (Vetri I mean, not Amis)

I want to take him to Richmond Diner at 3am when all the girls from the Penthouse Club come in after their shift. That place can get a serious Twin Peaks vibe in there that late at night.

Nice.

Although he's gone home, his crew apparently IS coming by JB's to do a little filming. I will bring my fancy hat and exotic snakes.

Nice.

Today?

Nice.

And the stilettos.

Kuishimbo's picture

I'm waiting for the night the waitress comes to my table with the syringe still hanging out of her arm.

How often do you have to replace the "I" key on your computer?

Today?

Sorry I didn't see this until 'today' became 'tomorrow' (which will be today when you read it)---but, yes.

No worries, though. Bourdain was not along. Just his crew---who were very nice---and they stayed an hour or so filming inside and out. I suspect it's just a bit of filler focused mostly on our marriage to local and regional beer and the venue itself--probably will just be a brief part of the espisode.

Man, does he have a following though. I had multiple people asking me where he was, as if we were hiding him somewhere in the building!

And the stilettos.

SO hard on the ankles coming down those el steps...but ok.

And the stilettos.

SO hard on the ankles coming down those el steps...but ok.

I appreciate it, truly.

And the stilettos.

SO hard on the ankles coming down those el steps...but ok.

We all have to sacrifice for beauty.

And the stilettos.

SO hard on the ankles coming down those el steps...but ok.

We all have to sacrifice for beauty.

To some of us it just comes naturally.

FPDA's picture

FYI, this episode is going on air Monday at 9

We're doing a viewing party upstairs at JB's on Monday with the 'Pickle Man' (a truly unique human being) doing some kind of opening comedy/variety/inexplicable thing beforehand.

I'll probably go--should be fun.

not THE Steve Slutsky!

Stock's picture

Soul Man wrote:

not THE Steve Slutsky!

He's still kicking? I saw him two years ago in Port Richmond, didn't know he was still around.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

Soul Man wrote:

not THE Steve Slutsky!

Yes, indeed. He's our Pickle Man.

(this is a free event, btw)

Soul Man wrote:

not THE Steve Slutsky!

Yes, indeed. He's our Pickle Man.

(this is a free event, btw)

I haven't seen him in awhile. He used to bring his truck by the Green Rock almost every Friday afternoon.

Can someone tell me the Comcast channel, please?

Kuishimbo's picture

Should be 840.

How often do you have to replace the "I" key on your computer?

Thanks, man

Liked the show a lot and thought Bourdain did Philly proud. Also great to see my friends Melissa and Regina from JB's make a brief appearance!

I liked how they tried to paint the P&P as a somewhat respectable place as opposed to a giant after-hours coke fest for restaurant servers.

ronchito's picture

Bourdain's shock value schtick wears a little thin for me at times, but I actually really enjoyed the show despite that. If nothing else, I learned that Peter McAndrews is an astounding doofus.

FPDA's picture

I enjoyed the not-very-subtle jab at Stephen Starr by referring to him in the past tense along with Perrier.

Ha! I've been once and cannot dispute this.

Coder's picture

So is the synopsis that there is nothing worth eating north of Port Richmond?

Coder wrote:
So is the synopsis that there is nothing worth eating north of Port Richmond?

they threw a shout out to chink's.

They showed Czerw's.

Coder's picture

They showed Czerw's.

But that is PR. Other than a shout out, nothing north.

ronchito's picture

I think the concept behind the show is what can you do if you had 36 hours in Philly. There may be some good spots above PR but it would be difficult to suggest someone go that far out of their way with such limited time.

i was surprised the american sardine made it.

Kuishimbo's picture

Coder wrote:
They showed Czerw's.

But that is PR. Other than a shout out, nothing north.

Would Cafe Soho qualify as north of Port Richmond? It's northwest Philly, and near nothing. And if you cross the street, you are outside of the city. And it is fantastic. Well worth the drive straight up 5th street.

How often do you have to replace the "I" key on your computer?

Susquehanna's picture

Coder wrote:
So is the synopsis that there is nothing worth eating north of Port Richmond?

this is a silly question.
i think they did a nice broad stroke from mount airy to west philly, south and the NE (according to comcast, we are northeast). that Johnny Brenda's was given face time amongst all that good food and the characters was a gift.

as for the show, it was my first layover. i much prefer the No Reservations format. this felt awkward in it's attempt to be more of a travel show. now i'm apprehensive to follow him to CNN.
i will say i loved the two guys (the skinny ones with the hat and tattoos). they had me laughing every time they were on.

bonzombiekitty's picture

Busboy wrote:
Cheesesteaks and hot roast pork sandwiches. Same old, same old.

Cheesesteaks only got mentioned in the "There will be no cheesesteaks in my visit. Let the other travel shows do that schtick" and "Cheesesteaks are mostly for tourists. It's really annoying that it seems that's all we're known for when we have much better food" sort of way.

Roast pork sandwiches only got a slight nod when briefly mentioning John's Roast Pork, and talking about Paesano's. But Paesano's is a whole different thing.

Busboy wrote:
Cheesesteaks and hot roast pork sandwiches. Same old, same old.

Well, howdy there, troll! We've missed you terribly. How was your Thanksgiving in Florida?

Kuishimbo wrote:
Coder wrote:
They showed Czerw's.

But that is PR. Other than a shout out, nothing north.

Yeah I thought it was cool that he gave them a shout out. My better half works out in Cheltenham a few days a week and I keep meaning to have her stop there and bring me back chicken on her way home.

EDIT: Overall I enjoyed it. There wasn't really any point on the show where I yelled at the TV over his choices of where to go. Shame his layover wasn't a bit longer though.

Cutter's picture

He pours the coffee with condensed milk into the ice without stirring first. Fail.

That's how I like Thai iced coffee - then I can drink most of the milk first.

You didn't notice how EXTREMELY hungover Bourdain looked at Pho 75? I'll give him credit just for not falling out of the chair.

george wrote:

Yeah, but he's been looking way puffier lately.

Cutter's picture

Newcomer wrote:
That's how I like Thai iced coffee - then I can drink most of the milk first.

You like drinking syrup?

Southbounddown's picture

Kuishimbo wrote:
Coder wrote:
They showed Czerw's.

But that is PR. Other than a shout out, nothing north.

First off its in Olney, which is a part of Philadelphia north of North Philly and too far east to considered northwest. Second, its not near "nothing" its near a number of other Korean restaurants and businesses as that section of 5th street is referred to as Koreatown.

This wasn't the only far northern restaurant mentioned. He went to a soul food place in East Mount Airy and mentioned Chink's in the northeast.

Children are awful dogs

Coder's picture

Finally watching it on demand. Saw the Dolphin's sign when they were mentioning dive bars. Cool.

Kuishimbo's picture

Southbounddown wrote:
Kuishimbo wrote:
Coder wrote:
They showed Czerw's.

But that is PR. Other than a shout out, nothing north.

Yea, I know. I drive 5th Street from Luzerne to Cheltenham and back about 3 times a week. I also used to live in Logan, and know the borders of Olney pretty well. As I was often told by people from Olney where Olney begins and ends. And I know Cafe Soho is a good mile from those Korean businesses in Olney.

How often do you have to replace the "I" key on your computer?