Those Things Really Are Dangerous

Sad to see young people die so stupidly and senselessly. Even sadder that it is not even shocking anymore.

I think this one's a first

I bet no one will be riding ATVs or dirtbikes down that block again

I wonder if some crazy Mayfair resident will do that to the Tire Slasher. He was on the rampage again last night. Almost the same blocks he hit last time:

And there was another block hit last week in West Kensington.

I'm not sure if they were shot because they were on the annoying ATV's, or if they were just collateral damage.

Those Things Really Are Dangerous

Assault rifles? I agree.

cme2niteudig's picture

I recognize the name Dexter Bowie; I think he was involved in an incident earlier this month, It could be related.

When the axe came into the forest, many of the trees said " At least the handle is one of us "

repolozob's picture

These scum were riding a stolen ATV. Maybe if they ran someone over you would not be feeling sorry for them.

repolozob wrote:

Is there something wrong with the Bible?

roy keen's picture

My initial disappointment was that this didn't happen on Lehigh. But hey, at least the AK isn't in my neighborhood.

RIP, I guess.

I guess that's just the hazard of bad life choices.
I'm not stealing ATV's, nor riding them around drug infested neighborhoods, so its something I tend not to worry about.
Everybody dies, some just have a little more input into how its gonna happen.

cme2niteudig's picture

Apparently the pair had been targeted. One of them had been shot a few months ago at 8th and Indiana. Both of them, had run-ins with the law.

Cutter's picture

Sucks for the people who have cars and property now riddled with bullet holes.

It's sad that a two kids lost their lives for being stupid. I'm angered with respect to ATV's but I don't ever seriously consider killing anyone. A nutjob with and AK-47 is a BFD.

Cutter's picture

Yeah, they were being stupid over and over again in their lives. Sad for those kids.

Family says the PPD chased a motobiker teen in Port Richmond, but PPD says he was struck by a blue minivan that fled the scene.

The reaction from the uncle is well... just watch it:

Landj's picture

New news that the crash with the 14 year old ran in to an oncoming car and the car stayed on the scene. Was all caught on tape.

Obvious rhetorical question: Where are the parents when a 14 year old is speeding around the streets on an illegal vehicle?
They're talking about possible arrests of the driver, but how is anyone at fault, other than the deceased? I don't think "it serves him right," but if you have to place blame, maybe the underage kid driving the illegal vehicle over the speed limit is a good starting point.

Love is a Mattlefield.

Cutter's picture

I hope this reverberates around the city.

It won't.

Quote:
Shortly after the incident, the family of the victim told Action News they saw a police car chasing Alexander and striking the teen. Both police and another witness say there was no such incident and no pursuit.

sounds like an attempt to exploit the death of your child for personal gain and publicity, sad.

or his friends were lying to the family to cover their own butts.

ExUnit4's picture

Momma says " he had a dirt bike fetish " whatever that is.... and ..." They forbidded him from riding them" Really! So how did he get on the bike? Was he riding someone elses? Think that would have come out by now . But yea right. She Forbidded him to ride them in the street. Sounds like they knew he was riding them elsewhere though and had no issues with that. A 14 year old has no business on a Cycle....Dirt or otherwise unless its on a closed track thats built specifically for that purpose and safety is enforced. period.

Speak softly, the dashboard cam has a very sensative microphone

The "No Chase" policy makes sense on some level but It's clearly not working. There seems to be no real effort by the PD to find another solution. The rare roundup of a few ATV's or Dirtbikes is not sending a message. I have a feeling that these recent incidents will cause the City to re-think it's policy. Eventually one of these things will cause the death of a pedestrian and when it does I feel the PD will share in the blame. I've heard Capt. Crams views on this and I've always thought his answer was insufficient. Basically it's, we can't chase them so live with it.

One thing they could try to do is ban possession of dirt bikes inside the city. That would let them seize bikes that weren't actively being ridden and would shut down the shops selling them.

That probably would be tough to get enacted and not overturned by the courts, though (not that I really have any idea about that part of the law).

Banning possession isn't the answer. Confiscation when not on private property or in transport (not riding) could possibly pass but enforcement is the key. Simply using unmarked cars to follow them, with cameras, until they stop and dismount is a no-brainer. Owning one of these vehicles loses it's appeal if you are in danger of losing it every time you ride. It's clear the the word has spread about the "No Chase" policy and that has translated to there being no penalty for having/riding them.

I'd like to believe that would be more effective (and its definitely preferable from a rights/freedom standpoint) but I don't see how unmarked cars are going to work: urban dirtbike riders dont care much for stop signs/lights but presumably city vehicles would so just keeping up with would be tough and more importantly it may work for one or two when the element of surprise is involved but those cars are going to be obvious to anyone on a dirtbike after a week or two. If you see it, you just need to get away before dismounting.

What's really sad is that when neighborhood folks report these things and tell the cops where to find them...nothing. The PD could get warrants to search a property if there is evidence to support it's housing a vehicle that is being used illegally, couldn't they?

I assume that without a license plate to uniquely identify a bike, it would be impossible to argue that the specific dirtbike they found in the house/garage was used illegally even with video.

Possibly but a detailed picture of most bikes seems like irrefutable evidence. Unless it's brand new, there will be something about the vehicle that is unique. I'm just throwing out thoughts, I have no idea of the legalities.

Paintball guns.

How about we set up a gauntlet on Cumberland by St. Anne's Sr. Center and just have a drinking game for each dirtbike and ATV score.

Paintball guns.

only if it's open carry.

AM's picture

That sounds like something I would definitely be down for : )

"Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone . . . "

Paintball guns.

only if it's open carry.

Sorry, I think you'll need to keep your tallboy in a paper sack.

Paintball guns.

only if it's open carry.

Sorry, I think you'll need to keep your tallboy in a paper sack.

the neighbors are already street drinking. it's 7oz bud cans until at least late September

it's 7oz bud cans

an appropriate size for children!

it's 7oz bud cans

an appropriate size for children!

i've seen a 4 year old do a keg stand, no lie.

it's 7oz bud cans

an appropriate size for children!

i've seen a 4 year old do a keg stand, no lie.

he was 2.

That there is some fine home training.

So yesterday PPD held a meeting with Fairhill neighbors over the 2 kids on ATVs mowed down by an AK:

Susquehanna's picture

Wow. Someone really didn't like that kid.

A case of "not my kid" syndrome.

Quote:
Family members said Bowie recently had recovered from being shot six times Jan. 5 a few blocks from where he was gunned down last week.

Now, if someone shot me 6 times, I'm not sure I'd be going back around that area. But that's just me.

A case of "not my kid" syndrome.

I have often wondered what causes parents psychologically to go to the 'not my kid' place. It seems like a very specific kind of denial... but I guess there is an argument that nobody likes to take responsibility for unpleasant things, it is something you learn to do as a means to an end.

I dont have any children of my own so it's very confusing to me.

A case of "not my kid" syndrome.

I dont have any children of my own so it's very confusing to me.

I have a bunch of kids and I certainly don't understand it either.

Coder's picture

The don't want to admit that their kid did anything wrong, selfishly, because they feel it reflects back onto them as bad parenting. Everyone knows that you can be raised by wild dogs, and still be and honest and good person. This type of person is more concerned with how they are perceived, then they are with the actions of the person they are responsible for. Unfortunately for my kid, I was the polar opposite and always thought that it was my kid, until proven wrong.

Coder's picture

ExUnit4's picture

Just love the newspaper article where they say the folks can't afford the cost of traveling to ride in places where it's legal. RIGHT, but they somehow manage to find the money to buy two or three quads or dirt bikes at 2400-5500 and up a piece in the first place, then fill them with gas every day and all day on weekends. And here's an idea. IF these quads and dirt bikes are illegal, then why is WAWA allowing them to fill up their tanks??? Just wondering. ( cause they sure aren't swiping their credit cards at the pump to do it) Maybe if the city made it harder to get gas for them some of them would disappear.

Speak softly, the dashboard cam has a very sensative microphone