19125 CA$H 4 $IGN$ CONTE$T!!!

Economic incentives are good.
Plus, it gives Thad the opportunity to make a boatload of money replacing all the signs once they're down.

First Prize:
Second Place: $75 CASH!!!
Third Place: $50 CASH!!!
Fourth Place: $25 CASH!!!

Ok some questions I already got:

- Realtor signs affixed to properties advertising them for sale are NOT bandit signs.

- However, a realtor sign planted on a utility pole or in the highway median, IS a bandit sign. I know it sounds confusing, but it really isn't. City code lets you put up signs on buildings and lots advertising them for sale, but you can't put 20 signs out like breadcrumbs, such as "AWESOME HOUSE THIS WAY ----->>>". As nice as that is for the driver searching for someone's open house, that is a bandit sign.

-- The signs you collect can come from anywhere, but it would be nice if you focus around your immediate neighborhood before venturing out into other neighborhoods.

Tips for finding lots of signs:

- Commercial avenues. Lehigh Ave gets plastered a lot, so does Frankford Ave, York west of Memphis St, Aramingo, Richmond, etc. Lehigh gets re-populated about 1x a week more than any other road in 19125 from what I've seen.
- Wawas, pharmacies and busy intersections with 2-way traffic.
- Residential streets close to commercial corridors
- Highway medians

I'm going on a Bandit Sign hunt this weekend. :)

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

I cant use a ladder? Short people discrimination.

I cant use a ladder? Short people discrimination.

Why in the world can you not use a small step ladder to help get them down?

Why in the world can you not use a small step ladder to help get them down?

You just can't. Because I said so.

If you do, I don't want to hear about it (or from your personal injury lawyer... and you CAN'T use Leo, by the way). :D

jbette/sdm, get a tall ORCA member to help lift you. Like me or Phil.

Why in the world can you not use a small step ladder to help get them down?

You just can't. Because I said so.

jbette/sdm, get a tall ORCA member to help lift you. Like me or Phil.

BUT YOU CAN CALL ME!!

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

Why in the world can you not use a small step ladder to help get them down?

You just can't. Because I said so.

jbette/sdm, get a tall ORCA member to help lift you. Like me or Phil.

Um, something about having you or Phil put me up in some sort of cheerleading stunt seems more dangerous than a ladder.

Jordan wrote:
Why in the world can you not use a small step ladder to help get them down?

You just can't. Because I said so.

jbette/sdm, get a tall ORCA member to help lift you. Like me or Phil.

BUT YOU CAN CALL ME!!

Hah

Why in the world can you not use a small step ladder to help get them down?

You just can't. Because I said so.

jbette/sdm, get a tall ORCA member to help lift you. Like me or Phil.

Find a tall guy on match.com and date him until the contest is over.

Find a tall guy on match.com and date him until the contest is over.

Blargh. Do not pay to meet losers when you can meet them for free. Believe me.

stbenjamin's picture

austen wrote:
Find a tall guy on match.com and date him until the contest is over.

Blargh. Do not pay to meet losers when you can meet them for free. Believe me.

Seriously, that is what okcupid is for.

Jill, Austen is tall, you two could be quote the duo.

stbenjamin wrote:
austen wrote:
Find a tall guy on match.com and date him until the contest is over.

Blargh. Do not pay to meet losers when you can meet them for free. Believe me.

Seriously, that is what okcupid is for.

Jill, Austen is tall, you two could be quote the duo.

They could be the Master Blaster of cleanup day.

If you're looking for a honeypot, my bud in Fox Chase just posted this...

Quote:
If anybody wants to get big numbers of bandit signs, go to Tacony! I was going to New Jersey last night and the whole route from about Robbins and Harbison to the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge is filthy with them, especially those of scumbag Lenny Trexler's JUNK CARS $250 and some clown's business PRO ROOFING. There is definately more than 65!

I also saw some in EKNA-land in pockets and there's a whole storm of them over around Norris Square, too.

There's some around my own house but if nobody gets them by Sunday, I'm nabbing them. [Don't worry, I'm excluded from the contest.] :-)

austen wrote:
Find a tall guy on match.com and date him until the contest is over.

Blargh. Do not pay to meet losers when you can meet them for free. Believe me.

I don't know, my buddy had a lot of success wit OkCupid.

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

Jordan wrote:
austen wrote:
Find a tall guy on match.com and date him until the contest is over.

Blargh. Do not pay to meet losers when you can meet them for free. Believe me.

I don't know, my buddy had a lot of success wit OkCupid.

I've found OKC to be ground-zero for crazy chicks on the Internet.

I did match.com for YEARS. All I got out of it were abusive relationships.

okcupid seems to be slightly above craigslist casual encounters. Slightly. Plus I just found out that my ex just messaged my good friend the other day on it. Creeeeepy.

I will NEVER do online dating again. My best friend keeps threatening to surreptitiously sign me up for eHarmony. I told her that if she did I would kick her in the throat.

And I had to google MasterBlaster - and kind of regretting that I did so at work.

austen wrote:
I did match.com for YEARS. All I got out of it were abusive relationships.

The only emotionally abusive relationship I have ever been in was a result of the eHarms. I cant believe they havent asked me to be in one of their commercials.

i know several people who have met their husbands/wives on online dating sites. however, i also know many people who have met nothing but creeps on there. i guess it's the luck of the draw.

Ok temporary derailment interruption:

Somebody save this poor tree outside Coffee House II from its misery (and improve your shot at a Kindle or some $$$)...

JedicusMaximus's picture

I'll be spending a few hours tomorrow running "Junk Car" signs off on the photocopier at work. I figure about 1000 should only cost about $20 to make and be more than enough to win the Kindle. If anybody wants to come over and put staples in the signs, I'll give you 400 of them so you can claim second prize.

Yeah but the paper bandit signs have like 80 staples in them; so if there's only 4, I won't accept it as "authentic". Also has to be on card stock. I've never seen anybody use photocopy paper for the junk car signs (yet). They use the card stock because copy paper dissolves in the rain.

Ok temporary derailment interruption:

I'll do it.

But I'm bringing my ladder and you can't tell me what to do, so there.

And if I fall off, I'll represent myself, sue you, and then see if we can get Ratofsky to preside over the whole thing.

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

Re: dating sites, I know a lot of normal people who have had success with them. I think it's all luck of the draw - just like the bar scene, dance scene, whatever.

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

Jordan wrote:
austen wrote:
Find a tall guy on match.com and date him until the contest is over.

Blargh. Do not pay to meet losers when you can meet them for free. Believe me.

I don't know, my buddy had a lot of success wit OkCupid.

I've found OKC to be ground-zero for crazy chicks on the Internet.

If they're hot, that sounds like a good situation...

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

I have colored card stock & lots of staples.
I figure with about $400 & 100 hours time I should be able to win that Kindle Fire.

gauler's picture

Heres a good place, go to Master St. West of Broad Street. For about the next 15 blocks there are bandit signs EVERYWHERE! Total Jackpot for you. Not the prettiest or probably the safest neighborhood (read Lots of empty lots with trash, and abandoned buildings) so be safe.

____________
Interrupted

Jordan wrote:
Jordan wrote:
austen wrote:
Find a tall guy on match.com and date him until the contest is over.

Blargh. Do not pay to meet losers when you can meet them for free. Believe me.

I don't know, my buddy had a lot of success wit OkCupid.

I've found OKC to be ground-zero for crazy chicks on the Internet.

If they're hot, that sounds like a good situation...

Or the plot to Fatal Attraction 2.

Misfitz's picture

I saw the article in Philly.com! Great job making waves and getting the word out!

"Save me Jebus!!"

Misfitz wrote:

And for once on that site the comments section was almost all positive.

Misfitz wrote:

And for once on that site the comments section was almost all positive.

Yeah I was waiting for someone to blame the signs on OWEbama.

Great article and because of that, the petition is getting more signatures -- 800!

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Stock's picture

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

It can be yours...

ExUnit4's picture

Apparently the no ladder rules have been noticed by several of the bandit sign posters. can't help noticing several brand new ones going up on Girard Ave that are 10-12 feet high.

Speak softly, the dashboard cam has a very sensative microphone

I have a new surprise coming for the ones going high up.

It involves paint.

Paintball!!!!! Fun

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Apparently the only way a roofer can get any business in this town is to bolt signs way up high on the utility pole at the Wawa parking lot.

Because you know: if it weren't for utility poles, there would be no roofers in this city because they wouldn't be able to get any work.

Coder's picture

Yeah they got a very large banner hanging off the side of a building on N. Broad. The host building looks abandoned, lucky the person who put it up there didn't fall through the roof.
Are they union? Back in the day Local 33 would have taken care of that, if they weren't.

You mean Local 30? Considering how many small companies love the bandit signs, and that they take advantage of sending guys out with ladders to put them up high out of reach, doubtful.

Most of my physical confrontations I've had with people getting combative with me over removing signs have been with low-IQ-level roofers. In fact, all but 1 has been a roofer, or a roofer's apprentice. The one who wasn't was a political wonk putting up bandit signs for a politician I shall not name.***

They not only do that, but some companies put out the illegal bus benches. Union Roofing, who can only seem to generate 1-star or 5-star reviews (http://bit.ly/HicaeA), has illegal benches on my street, along with another HIC and a check cashing jawn. I have yet to see someone actually sit in the traffic island at Cumberland & Aramingo on that bench; but since the benches are still mostly intact and haven't been vandalized I'm not too worried about them.

I just find it hilarious that roofers insist on using the signs, whereas carpenters and plumbers can get by without them.

*** There ARE decent and honest roofers in the city, but they are far... FAR outnumbered by shysters who sully the entire profession, and judging by the court records I use to validate business and home addresses, it often turns out the bandit sign roofers have more damaged reputations than the ones you find with loads of smarmy reviews on Yelp or Angie's. I cringe the day I need my roof replaced and will wind up calling a contractor from out of state (and only after after reviewing civil court documents... who wants to get a $6,000 estimate and then wind up with a $10,000 bill) only because the pool of available roofers within easy reach of my home is overwrought with bad apples.

Coder's picture

Yes. My mistake, it is Local 30.

By the way if you want some fun with contractors, mostly with roofing and plumbing... guess how many online reviews, both positive and negative, are actually written by competing contractors (negative) and positive (family/employees of contractors). It's hilarious.

Stock's picture

I get the tall ones all the time and it's fast and easy for me. I pull up with my truck with the tool box on the bed right next to the pole. I climb in the bed, then on top of my toll box. BAMM! I'm 12' up in the air. Have not found one I can't get this way.

- Benjamin Franklin

Stock do you think you can get the MyPhillyRoofer one at the Aramingo Wawa?

It's facing the parking lot so you see it when leaving Wawa and it's screwed in with bolts. When I get free time I had planned to go over there in the middle of the night when most of the MPR roofers would be drinking and not notice little old me with a pole extender white-washing their sign.

That's the high-up one that's been annoying me the most.

Another one being put up by Josef Bonk for Primo Roofing and Solar is also annoying, it's mounted on wood as well.

Actually, I think white washing is the better answer to those really-high up signs because to replace the sign that's been bolted, they have to take the old one down before they can put the new one up.

Kenzo - you got em scrambling now. Just heard the short report on NPR durning the hour break about City Council hearing on the matter.

ExUnit4's picture

Or, what if we could all chip in and have a local print shop make us some pretty Fishtown, Old Richmond and East Kensigton signs that we can just paste over them. Sorta in the same style as those large banners hanging along Girard Ave. Maybe even change them every few months to match the season or special Holidays. That cleans the bandit signs and eliminates folks getting hurt trying to pull it down or paint over it while beaytifying the neighborhoods. Maybe!

Second out of the box thought: if bandit signs are on Utility poles...and those poles are owned and property of said utility companies...then if the utilities charged the bandits for the illegal postings at say 10 grand per sign ( and automatically added it to their utility bill) wanna bet a lot of signs would come down fast. Know all sorts of legal issues probably but bet if they could the utilites would be a lot more aggressive than the city has ever been. I will never feel good about L&I, etc being in charge of such things. They can deny all they want but we all know Inspectors can be persuaded very easily ( one nee donly ask any plumber or home remodeling contractor about how they handle permit inspections with an envelope)

Speak softly, the dashboard cam has a very sensative microphone

Someone down in Newbold (that gentrified area of Point Breeze) is doing raised planter beds made out of bandit signs. I have to trade some more emails back and forth, but all the bandit signs collected may go to fund new planter boxes. She is calling them "BanditBoxes". Work in progress:

Kenzo, I looked at the link; while I like the idea, I think they should reverse the sign -- why give them any more free advertising.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Interesting remark from Councilman Jones. It's like an about-face from his bill that tries to legalize the signs: http://www.newsworks.org/index.php?option=com_flexicontent&view=items&id=36371:philadelphia-city-council-wants-more-action-to-reduce-sign-clutter

ExUnit4 wrote:

Wheatpaste over the Bandit signs?

Pure_Fishtown wrote:

Yeah I think the phone number should be scratched out or covered with a happy face sticker. Defacing the phone number makes the signs useless. Honestly if we haven't gotten any traction by now I was actually thinking of building a robodialer and start feeding the thing phone numbers that come in from bandit sign reports on the website.

Stock's picture

Wow. Dangerous spot. When I parked my truck there, I blocked the view of the people coming out of Wawa, so I had to move. They are up real high and on plywood!

I'll get them, but will have to use other methods.

Stock do you think you can get the MyPhillyRoofer one at the Aramingo Wawa?

That's the high-up one that's been annoying me the most.

- Benjamin Franklin

brooke's picture

You're just referring to posted signs, right? Not sandwich placards set up for an hour or so during an open house? My signs cost over $100/each...not looking to have them disappear and I'll come for you, Kenzo!

Saw Mr. Contractor setting up lawn signs on the median grassy area near the 95 ramp the other day when I was in Fishtown. Heh...I wonder how long they lasted.

Former attorney and current CITYSPACE real estate agent extraordinaire

Sandwich placards are not bandit signs. The city specifically refers to signs that are moored with stakes or mounted. City code lists the mountings. Goto banditproject.org and look through the Resources section.

brooke's picture

Thank you for the clarification. When you guys are done with Fishtown, we could use the help in Germantown. Was walking with my daughter and dog and couldn't get three signs on a post a few blocks from my house because they were nailed in and I was already essentially juggling. Killed me. KILLED ME.

Former attorney and current CITYSPACE real estate agent extraordinaire

Stock's picture

Go back with a hammer

- Benjamin Franklin

I just heard that banditproject was on FOX29.

Wish I had some help running a citywide bandit sign contest. I have someone who wants to pick up huge truckloads of Coroplast to start building raised planter beds with them. If they're actually sellable, maybe she could launch a side business and get signs picked off telephone poles and made the beds at her "factory" (her backyard).

Stock's picture

I'll sell them and Philadelphia Salvage!

I just heard that banditproject was on FOX29.

- Benjamin Franklin

BUMP. This is your last full weekend before the Philly Spring Cleanup to get those signs down. There are a BUNCH on Belgrade and on Gaul.

I will be out this Sunday ripping signs down so if you wanna get some points, better get them soon!

How this works... you keep your signs with you and cart them back to your house. On the Philly Spring Cleanup, you need to swing by Thompson and Huntingdon behind Mount Wawa, or you need to find Arthur Meckler from FACT over at Palmer Park (Frankford & Columbia).

Arthur is collecting signs over there and I am doing it by Mount Wawa. The clean-up wrap up at noon, so if you miss us, then give them to me or Athur at PBC before 12:30. Once we have the last signs collected we'll announce the winners at the Brewery.

It's an Amazon Kindle Fire people. Brand new, in the packaging, never been opened, worth about $200.

And the 2-4th place prizes are $75, $50 and $25 in cold hard cash. Take it to sugarhouse and turn it into $1,000... or drink it all, or buy yourself some happy.

That is all.

Just heard about the contest on WHYY. Guess I gotta up my game.

ExUnit4's picture

Anyone wants to hit paydirt just drive around germantown like Brooke suggested. If all you get i sthe Political signs for Dwight Evens and his opponent your have tons. Just got done work and driving on Germantown Ave, Wayne Ave, Lincoln Drive, Stenton Ave nothing but political signs. same on n Broad from Allegheny north. And of course the Mr. Contractor sign is still in the grass at the I 95 S entrance off Girad & Aramingo.

Speak softly, the dashboard cam has a very sensative microphone