EBT Get out of Jail Card

lstriar's picture

So a guy tries to use an EBT card to get bailed out of jail, nobody confirms if he actually even has an EBT card or if it was used to bail him out, and we have a problem.

Food stamps are about the most effective form of helping alleviate poverty there is. Any abuses of the system should be used to further fighting abuse, and should be noted as the exception not the norm.

This is horrible journalism.

camera215's picture

This reminds me of my recent trip to the Wine and Spirits store on Girard. The woman in front of me had a bottle of whiskey and vodka and tried to pay for it with her Access card. The clerk told her she couldn't use it, and the woman seemed surprised by this.

btw, I fully support financial assistance for those who really need it. But, this kind of abuse makes me want to pummel people. I work 60 hour weeks and pay taxes to continually subsidize people who clearly abuse the system.

Coder's picture

You can't put strings on cash. It has nothing to do with stamps. Two different animals.
I'm surprised that he gets enough to cover bail. With a third offense, second for drugs, you'd think the bail might be a little higher.
Also, not sure about the eligibility of convicted criminals to get welfare. Don't think you can if you're a felon, but don't know how those charges rank.

IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY TO THINK THAT POOR PEOPLE MIGHT BE DRINKING ALCOHOL AND HAVING A GOOD TIME. IF THEY ARE NOT MISERABLE 24/7 HOW WILL I CONTINUE TO BELIEVE IN MY OWN SUPERIORITY?!

camera215's picture

I couldn't care less if she drinks. My point was that she wanted to use her Access card to purchase alcohol. That's what made me angry.

lstriar's picture

camera wrote:

This isn't abuse. It is attempted abuse. You clearly stated that the woman was not allowed to buy the booze. The system worked. It is not meant to stop people from trying to abuse it, it is meant to stop people from actually abusing it. Your tax dollars are mostly subsidizing people who don't make enough money to feed their kids. Should we punish them because the occasional person attempts to get drunk?

camera215's picture

Quote:
Should we punish them because the occasional person attempts to get drunk?

Not at all. I grew up on public assistance.

I keep my millions in off shore accounts to avoid paying taxes thus preventing abuse of the system by the very poor.

2014 york wrote:

You and Mr. Romney. True American Patriots™.

2014 york wrote:

can you PM me the name of your financial adviser?
oh, and maybe PayPal me a few of those millions first?

YJB 2k12's picture

So the Access Card system should be changed to allow the purchase of Alcohol?

Not necessarily, but I would suggest people stop getting angry if they see someone mistakenly attempt to purchase alcohol with their ACCESS card.

I don't think you can argue that an ACCESS card doesn't subsidize purchasing alcohol or drugs - just that you can't directly purchase it WITH an ACCESS card.

When you give a person $$ for food, it frees up on-hand cash for other purchases - responsible purchases or not.

bigtuna's picture

You kidding me. MISTAKENLY. Did he think it was the grocery store?

YJB 2k12 wrote:
*sub Mistakenly for Accidentally.

No problem.
It was a mistake.
Or was it an accident?

Coder's picture

No mistake involved there.

Oh, i wouldn't and i definitely don't have a problem with that. If you could be sure that the benefits were just for adults I wouldn't have a problem with those benefits being used for anything (legal). Adults can best decide for themselves what purchases have the highest utility. The only reason I would be hesitant to support a policy like that is that I am unsure how one could restrict benefits that are supposed to be for children in the family.

I am often mistaken for an accident.

Love is a Mattlefield.

Coder's picture

I was an accident. It's been verified.

bigtuna wrote:
You kidding me. MISTAKENLY. Did he think it was the grocery store?

According to the story, it was a she and the poster relaying it said she seemed surprised when the clerk told her she was unable to use her benefits. She was mistaken in thinking that the benefits had less restrictions than they do. There was no way that even if the cashier had wanted to accept the benefits that the transaction could have been rang up so its not like the lady in question thought she was pulling a fast one on the state and was surprised that the cashier wasn't playing ball.

Coder's picture

I can't understand why people don't just go get the cash from the ATM.
Jeez...Every junkie I know is standing at the ATM at 11:59pm the night before the cash gets dumped in.
Go get it. Cash is king.

There are lot's of places to buy ANYTHING with an Access card. It's possible she really thought she could use it there. I don't really care what people use them for. The abuse is miniscule compared to what happens on Wall St. People just find it much easier to hate or criticize the poor. I've heard the "steaks in the shopping cart/food stamps/expensive car" story all my life. I say...Let them eat steak.

bigtuna's picture

Free ride..free homes, free food, free alcohol, free health care. The system has created a bunch of bottom feeders.

bigtuna wrote:

Wait, are we talking about poor people or Wall Street traders? I lost track.

bigtuna's picture

Wall Street traders work for a living...The so called poor people live off the Govt every possible chance.

bigtuna wrote:
The so called poor people

Are you saying they are not poor?

big tuna is just itching to use the n word. Shtick is getting old. Unfortunately, Dan can't kill the Hydra

The thing is, if bigtuna really thinks the poor have it all that good he can very easily join them. The fact that he doesn't speaks volumes.

Coder's picture

Went past a Domino's on North Broad this morning, that had a giant banner advertising "We Accept EBT".
People gotta eat.

bigtuna's picture

Oh ! by the way i grew up poor but todays poor have no work ethic, because todays govt makes it so easy not to work. Come to America land of the { FREE ].

2014 york wrote:
There are lot's of places to buy ANYTHING with an Access card.

And that's why I do not go to ShopRite anymore.

bigtuna wrote:

Kids these days...

Lauraska wrote:
bigtuna wrote:

Kids these days...

So you were poor before it was cool?

bigtuna wrote:
todays poor have no work ethic

You should have seen what the bourgeois said about your parents (as a class) back in the day.