Closed Lead Smelters

Longtime reader, first time poster.

This morning USA Today posted a big investigative piece on the dangers of dormant lead smelters in the U.S. and they noted several sites in our area including one next to Greensgrow. The two I noted are:
2320 Gaul St.,
Philadelphia, Pa. 19125
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/smelting-lead-contamination/#sites/307

2607 E. Cumberland St.,
Philadelphia, Pa. 19125
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/smelting-lead-contamination/#sites/57

Here is the main story for your consumption.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/smelting-lead-contamination/#sites/

Anyone heard of these before or know about any related problems?

Kenzo's picture

Wow if you switch to "pictures" for the Anzon/Dutch Boy site, my house pops up. It's a recent photo cuz my next door neighbor just put in a new window box last summer.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

dan

This area has a lot of lead. a lot.

We had our soil tested a few years ago. The results came back as "don't let children or animals play in it".

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

Kenzo's picture

I'm actually ready right now to call a landscaper to haul off my backyard for disposal... my backyard is partially exposed and partially capped. The exposed part is covered with rocks. There's no kids or a growing dog (my dog is adult) so I'm not worried too much about exposure, but I want a backyard with grass without lead in it.

I'm guessing about 8" of soil removal and soil replacement, new topsoil and new carpet grass. I have to call the guy today I've been putting it off.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Coder's picture

Anzon was on the stretch of Aramingo, from Cumberland to Huntingdon, along BOTH sides of the street.
It was known for its lighted "Christmas Star" that could be seen from afar, back in the day. I know that years ago, after they started shutting down someone, don't know who, came around and made available testing to all the kids who had lived near there. My sis lived behind it, but all her kids showed no lead. Don't know anything about the ground levels.
So yeah, it was where your Applebees, WaWa, RiteAid, Beneficial, ColdStone, DD, etc. are now located.

"No no! You don't ask me questions! You are a rabbit! I am a human!"

Kenzo's picture

Does anybody have photos of this behemoth? I knew the "Ol' Dutch Boy" made lead-based paint before I moved here but I can't find much about the DB or when it became Anzon.

The old zoning maps from pre-1920 show that where Aramingo Ave sits now, it used to be named Commerce St. and before that, it was a dredged canal for barges being dragged up the Delaware and the site had numerous industrial parcels before it turned into one megacomplex. What was this site before Dutch Boy was there?

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Coder's picture

Honestly, for some reason I don't think Anzon actually became Dutch Boy. I was pretty sure that Dutch Boy was located on the site of the PR mall. And that it went up in spectacular fashion somewhere in the mid 70's. I remember watching it burn. But the very large Dutch Boy Paint sign was affixed to the Anzon factory, which faced you at Cumberland.
If someone older than I can actually remember, please chime in. But I'm pretty sure they were two different locations, just associated through business.
After the fire, it was Tose (as in Leonard) Trucking, which moved up from Delaware and SpringGarden, for the new digs. Nothing fancy, just truck sheds.

"No no! You don't ask me questions! You are a rabbit! I am a human!"

dan

It should be noted that a lot of money was put into "fixing" the Anzon site problems before the current development was built there.

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

Kenzo's picture

dan wrote:
This area has a lot of lead. a lot.

We had our soil tested a few years ago. The results came back as "don't let children or animals play in it".

Is that the house where you live now? You were further away from the lead junk than I am. My block is catty from two galvos (one is Greensgrow now), and the Anzon megaplex. I was surprised to see that there was a smelter on Trenton Ave... so you had it on two sides of your house.

My yard is lower than both of my neighbors yards by about a foot so I suspect that some of the soil was dug up and removed by my builder, but I'm gonna play it safe and strip more of it.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Coder's picture

Jobs.

"No no! You don't ask me questions! You are a rabbit! I am a human!"

Scrambler's picture

My yard is lower than both of my neighbors yards by about a foot so I suspect that some of the soil was dug up and removed by my builder, but I'm gonna play it safe and strip more of it.

Above is a quote from Kenso.

That is alot of work, especially if you don't have easy access to the yard.
Why not get it tested first? Home Depot sells lead paint test kits. Maybe they will work for soil. Or have samples of your soil sent out for testing? I don't think it costs much.

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Coder, do you remember back in the late 80's /early 90's the lawsuit for the residents? We had moved from Gordon Street by then (but it was part of the class-action lawsuit), but, they found us at the new house. I remember having to sign papers to return but over the years don't know if I still have them or if they were thrown out. I kind of remember something in it regarding ages, I was part of one group while my brothers (younger) were part of another.

I often wonder what happened to this.

BTW, Anzon was a totally different company than Dutch Boy.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Coder's picture

Pure_Fishtown wrote:
BTW, Anzon was a totally different company than Dutch Boy.

Right!...I've often argued with folks, but I specifically remember watching it burn down, and Anzon was still there. Dutch Boy site=Thriftway !
My sister lived behind Anzon, and I remember them coming out and testing her kids, etc. in the mid 80's. But honestly, I didn't even realize there was a smelter at Gaul and Gordon, I just knew it was a 'factory'. I don't know what ever came of the class action suit, could still be in court today!

"No no! You don't ask me questions! You are a rabbit! I am a human!"

Coder's picture

Was just reading that Dutch Boy Paints was a started as National Lead. For what its worth.
Still, it was two different locations.

"No no! You don't ask me questions! You are a rabbit! I am a human!"

Pure_Fishtown's picture

There was a company at the corner of Gaul & Gordon, I don't remember what they did in there but it wasn't as big as the Galvo. It went from Gaul to Belgrade.

The class-action was specifically for Dutch Boy. I don't believe Dutch Boy was where Thriftway is now. There was a huge fire on that spot, pre-1971, it was a huge warehouse; I remember the wall collapsing. My friends and I walked down to the fire and watched from Aramingo & York. Dutch Boy had both sides of Aramingo from Cumberland to Huntingdon. But there was a fire in the Dutch Boy part east side of Aramingo because the fire dept was out there for days after. That was around 1975 - 1977.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Coder's picture

So Dutch Boy and Anzon, National Lead, etc were all the same thing. The big place along Aramingo?
Hmmm....I must have confused the two fires.
I mostly remember the Thriftway one. By 75-77 I was busy elsewhere!

"No no! You don't ask me questions! You are a rabbit! I am a human!"

th's picture

The EPA was at the last ORCA meeting discussing this. Their rep seemed to feel that as long as soil is covered by grass, the lead particles are going to stay put underneath. The real danger is to children who tend to ingest dirt as they play. You can have you're soil tested, but keep in mind that you will then be legally obligated to disclose that info when you sell your house. He suggested that everyone around here just assume you have elevated lead levels in your soil and act accordingly. According to him, that means covering it with something - even just grass.

One issue that was raised was growing food in soil polluted by lead. Apparently plants don't absorb the heavy metal so it's not going to get into the plants. However, he didn't recommend growing plants like carrots or potatoes that grow in the ground. Things that grow above ground would need to be well washed to remove the lead dust that may be on them.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

butch77's picture

coder, the fire at the mall was the roosevelt paper company, owned by irv kosloff, who at the time, owned the 76ers. i also believe it was much earlier than 1975.

Coder's picture

Yes, early seventies, or even late sixties. I'm trying to figure out how old I could be before I was allowed to walk down there alone to watch it.
According to Pure Fishtown, the OTHER fire (at Anzon) was around '75, which is why I don't remember it as well. I was older and probably on to other pursuits.

"No no! You don't ask me questions! You are a rabbit! I am a human!"

butch77's picture

i was young enough to cross the street and loot the burned shell of the paper company. they evacuated our block 'cause of this fire. been here all my life, and can't remember a big fire at national lead/anzon. we would have been evacuated for that too.
i moved from the east side of anzon to the west side while the class action lawsuit was going on. i wound up getting my yard cemented and a top of the line vacuum cleaner. oh, and i was told that if i dug up the yard, i shouldn't eat anything grown from that dirt.

dan

Kenzo wrote:
dan wrote:
This area has a lot of lead. a lot.

We had our soil tested a few years ago. The results came back as "don't let children or animals play in it".

Is that the house where you live now? You were further away from the lead junk than I am. My block is catty from two galvos (one is Greensgrow now), and the Anzon megaplex. I was surprised to see that there was a smelter on Trenton Ave... so you had it on two sides of your house.

My yard is lower than both of my neighbors yards by about a foot so I suspect that some of the soil was dug up and removed by my builder, but I'm gonna play it safe and strip more of it.

Yes, it's our current house, but I'm doubting our particular lead source is the smelters.
Our lead source is probably the collapsed house that was buried in its own basement in our yard.

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Coder, my dad died in March of '71 and I know he was around with the big fire (now know the name - Roosevelt) and he wasn't sick yet; so it had to be late '60's.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Coder's picture

, I guess my mom had no idea where I was!

"No no! You don't ask me questions! You are a rabbit! I am a human!"

Kenzo's picture

dan wrote:
Yes, it's our current house, but I'm doubting our particular lead source is the smelters.
Our lead source is probably the collapsed house that was buried in its own basement in our yard.

What... like the house in Poltergeist?

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

butch77's picture

Pure_Fishtown wrote:
Coder, my dad died in March of '71 and I know he was around with the big fire (now know the name - Roosevelt) and he wasn't sick yet; so it had to be late '60's.

connie mack stadium was still open when roosevelt burned. i was there that night, and you could see the flames licking the top of the stadium.

sorry for the signature line, but i couldn't resist.

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Now we're closing in. Connie Mack's last game was October 1, 1970; dad was driving a 1966 Ford Country Squire station wagon. Police cars were red. Exxon was Esso and Mack Truck was still on York Street.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

butch77's picture

Pure_Fishtown wrote:
Now we're closing in. Connie Mack's last game was October 1, 1970; dad was driving a 1966 Ford Country Squire station wagon. Police cars were red. Exxon was Esso and Mack Truck was still on York Street.

yellow cab drivers spoke english, and wore a white shirt WITH a tie. mcdonalds advertised "change from a dollar" and you had to make your own 1/4 pounder by putting two of 'em together.

Neilpuck's picture

It is at these times I would love to have a time machine just to go back to walk around and see what it looked like back then.

cheweymid's picture

I've wasted entire days on PhillyHistory and PhillyGeoHistory looking at maps and pictures:

http://www.phillyhistory.org/PhotoArchive/

http://www.philageohistory.org/tiles/viewer/

Hard and crunchey on the outside, soft and chewey in the middle.

BettyAnn's picture

This was not exactly 2320 Gaul Street, it is across the street the Edmondson Plumbing building 2319 Gaul Street. I've lived on this block of Gaul Street since 1971. When I first moved here I believe that building was a supply company, napkins paper towels etc Amazing I live across the street and in all these years cannot remember anyone ever wanting to test soil in the area. I do remember many years ago when my children were young, we had to have them tested but we were told it was because of living in close proximity to Anzon. There have been over the years at least 6 or more people from this block who have died from cancer. Brain Cancer, lung cancer one of whom was not a smoker, esophagheal cancer, etc. Some of these houses still had dirt basements years ago, would have been nice if residents were informed.

Betty Ann

th's picture

I'm in no way apologizing for anyone, but you have to remember that lead was not considered a big threat until fairly recently. Heck, leaded gas wasn't phased out until the 80's and the gas companies fought that tooth and nail. One of the things the EPA guy mentioned was that the properties that back up to 95 have more lead than anyone because the lead from emissions fell pretty much straight down off the highway.

The Anzon company did pay out a lot of cash to families in the immediate area and payed for a lot of things like finishing basements with concrete. A lot of families didn't participate in the law suit though because Anzon was such a big employer in the hood.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

jbette01's picture

Kenzo wrote:
dan wrote:
Yes, it's our current house, but I'm doubting our particular lead source is the smelters.
Our lead source is probably the collapsed house that was buried in its own basement in our yard.

What... like the house in Poltergeist?

Its my understanding that this is pretty common round these parts. Supposedly in the vacant lot across from me -- they razed three houses into the basements and then paved over it.

dan

jbette01 wrote:
Kenzo wrote:
dan wrote:
Yes, it's our current house, but I'm doubting our particular lead source is the smelters.
Our lead source is probably the collapsed house that was buried in its own basement in our yard.

What... like the house in Poltergeist?

Its my understanding that this is pretty common round these parts. Supposedly in the vacant lot across from me -- they razed three houses into the basements and then paved over it.

Yep.
That's pretty well how all the city-paid demolitions were (and I think still are) done.

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

jbette01's picture

dan wrote:
Yep.
That's pretty well how all the city-paid demolitions were (and I think still are) done.

L&I took down a property on my block last summer. It was taken down very respectfully and properly, nothing was bulldozed into a hole. I was impressed.

Speaking of, this vacant lot has now become a place for drug deals, yay! If Kenseau is feeling bored, maybe he can tell me how I can get this property to sheriff sale. $14K in liens and I am fairly sure a deceased owner. Just thinking about it is giving me a headache.

Ftowntruehead's picture

What was on the block long lot behind Planet Fitness & CVS on Boston between Thompson and Almond? I seem to remember a big fire there when I was a kid.

Mr. Yuk's picture

th wrote:
I'm in no way apologizing for anyone, but you have to remember that lead was not considered a big threat until fairly recently. Heck, leaded gas wasn't phased out until the 80's and the gas companies fought that tooth and nail. One of the things the EPA guy mentioned was that the properties that back up to 95 have more lead than anyone because the lead from emissions fell pretty much straight down off the highway.

It was considered a big threat to many in the public health and scientific communities since (at least) the 1920's. The industry just continued to suppress the warnings!

Sally's picture

hope this helps,
Aramingo & Norris.Wooleyhan Trucking,then there was the freight yard where residents would often go and scoop up coal that fell from trains.
Aramingo & York........across York St. there were houses.......some of the famiy names were Hojanacki,Cambells,Steponowskis..Mrs Hojanacki use to wash and hang her clothes on lines that were located on front pavement.........her white clothes were the whitest clothes I have ever seen.The Hojanacki Family lived in the corner property
Where Thriftway is located today was houses in long gone yesterdays

Criminals,Not Society,Are Responsible for Crime........if Your Killer is Only Fifteen ,Are You Any Less Dead ?.................

My imaginary friend caught me talking to myself so now he is refusing to talk to me

Sally's picture

The good old EPA answers..........I agree lead was not considered a big threat until recently but I will not completely agree with the emission statement.There were many problems in this area that different government agencies knew but didn't care about.........how many hands do you think were polished during those years?

Criminals,Not Society,Are Responsible for Crime........if Your Killer is Only Fifteen ,Are You Any Less Dead ?.................

My imaginary friend caught me talking to myself so now he is refusing to talk to me

Sally's picture

Boyle Galvanizing formerly located on GreensGrow.It was destroyed by fire.Epa came in and removed vats,tanks,etc. Boyle used trains that wld come in and out of factory on the Firth St side of building .These trains wld wait on the Firth St lots to be loaded/unloaded.They wld also drain liquid from these trains on those lots as well as field located at Almond & firth behind St Annes senior center
National Lead/Dutch Boy Paints had a building on section of ground located by swimming pool at Aramingo & Huntingdon.My thinking is Nation Lead caught on fire in late 60's early 70's

Criminals,Not Society,Are Responsible for Crime........if Your Killer is Only Fifteen ,Are You Any Less Dead ?.................

My imaginary friend caught me talking to myself so now he is refusing to talk to me

Sally's picture

Betty Ann,you are correct,......there have been so many deaths in this area from the these medical conditions..........also many,many respitory problems

Criminals,Not Society,Are Responsible for Crime........if Your Killer is Only Fifteen ,Are You Any Less Dead ?.................

My imaginary friend caught me talking to myself so now he is refusing to talk to me

Sally's picture

Bottling plant......another lead factory

Criminals,Not Society,Are Responsible for Crime........if Your Killer is Only Fifteen ,Are You Any Less Dead ?.................

My imaginary friend caught me talking to myself so now he is refusing to talk to me

Sally's picture

question is;if Boyle Galvo has been gone for at least twenty years,Anzon for at least ten years,Catti Galvo closed for maybe two years ,freight yard gone for over twenty years than why is soil still contaminated.....because it doesn't dissipate

Criminals,Not Society,Are Responsible for Crime........if Your Killer is Only Fifteen ,Are You Any Less Dead ?.................

My imaginary friend caught me talking to myself so now he is refusing to talk to me

Kenzo's picture

jbette01 wrote:
dan wrote:
Yep.
That's pretty well how all the city-paid demolitions were (and I think still are) done.

L&I took down a property on my block last summer. It was taken down very respectfully and properly, nothing was bulldozed into a hole. I was impressed.

Speaking of, this vacant lot has now become a place for drug deals, yay! If Kenseau is feeling bored, maybe he can tell me how I can get this property to sheriff sale. $14K in liens and I am fairly sure a deceased owner. Just thinking about it is giving me a headache.

Want me to walk u thru it?

First, to try to save $800, ask one of Squilla's staffers to send a request to the Law Department to tip it into Sheriff's for ya. If they can't or no response, then hook up with me and I'll help ya with dragging it to a sale. It's actually not as hard as it seems.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

jbette01's picture

Kenzo wrote:
jbette01 wrote:
dan wrote:
Yep.
That's pretty well how all the city-paid demolitions were (and I think still are) done.

L&I took down a property on my block last summer. It was taken down very respectfully and properly, nothing was bulldozed into a hole. I was impressed.

Speaking of, this vacant lot has now become a place for drug deals, yay! If Kenseau is feeling bored, maybe he can tell me how I can get this property to sheriff sale. $14K in liens and I am fairly sure a deceased owner. Just thinking about it is giving me a headache.

Want me to walk u thru it?

First, to try to save $800, ask one of Squilla's staffers to send a request to the Law Department to tip it into Sheriff's for ya. If they can't or no response, then hook up with me and I'll help ya with dragging it to a sale. It's actually not as hard as it seems.

So any reason why $800 is the magic number? Honestly, that is going to be tough. I am unemployed right now and my block is filled with A LOT of elderly residents on fixed incomes. Even drumming up $$ to install decent stockade fencing is going to be difficult, but at least we have a guy to do install.

Kenzo's picture

jbette01 wrote:
So any reason why $800 is the magic number? Honestly, that is going to be tough. I am unemployed right now and my block is filled with A LOT of elderly residents on fixed incomes. Even drumming up $$ to install decent stockade fencing is going to be difficult, but at least we have a guy to do install.

That is the minimum bid for a Philadelphia property auction. The deposit is known as a "deed poll deposit". It represents to the county that there's an interest in buying the tax-delinquent property. Conmmonwealth Law provides for this but it doesn't make it a requirement that counties accept them. Changes coming in the Land Bank bill will require the City and any assigns who buy tax liens to accept deed poll deposits. When a deposit is received, the tax sale is expedited (it's moved to the top of the collections pile).

So, what's the parcel address? If you don't know, you need to run over to the Phila Zoning Map to get the precise parcel. The rule is: there needs to be at least $2,500 in tax LIENS, not just late taxes, but actual liens slapped on the parcel. If it's > $2,500 and the liens are with the RETU or Linebarger, you can enter a deposit. If GRB Law holds the liens, you have to sweet talk one of their counselors into starting the paperwork; which isn't hard in Fishtown because the F-Tizzy is a market-rate area, so it's always going to have a buyer at auction.

What's the address and how often are undesirables loitering on the parcel? I can help write up an e-mail to Squilla's staffers and cc: you on it and see if they'll bite. A Council tip-off to Sheriff's seems to happen a bit quicker than the deed poll process.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Coder's picture

butch77 wrote:
Pure_Fishtown wrote:
Coder, my dad died in March of '71 and I know he was around with the big fire (now know the name - Roosevelt) and he wasn't sick yet; so it had to be late '60's.

connie mack stadium was still open when roosevelt burned. i was there that night, and you could see the flames licking the top of the stadium.

sorry for the signature line, but i couldn't resist.

Now I'm completely confused. How could the fire at Aramingo ave lick the top of a stadium at 21st & Lehigh?

"No no! You don't ask me questions! You are a rabbit! I am a human!"

austen's picture

Is it weird that I keep reading the title of this thread as CLOSETED Lead Smelters?

Ftowntruehead's picture

Coder you're confused, I still haven't been able to figure out if my question was answered or not. What was on the block long lot behind Planet Fitness & CVS that's bordered by Hagert, Boston, Thompson, Moyer, Almond and the part of York where Planet Fitness is?

jbette01's picture

Kenso - 2319 Mercer.

Fairly sure owner is deceased. View on google maps still shows the house. Drug activity is new and I am trying to convince my neighbors to call *every* time, but they are cynical about the whole thing. Since my street is so narrow, the viewing angle is as such that I can't see it directly.

It may be that the neighbors attending to the lot and securing it is the best option. Even if we were to snag it, we cannot afford to pay taxes on it every year.

Pure_Fishtown's picture

The block on York where PF is now was once Mack Truck. They were there for the longest time; they had a big window on York where a truck was always in the window. They moved away in the late 70's.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Sally's picture

@ Ftowntruehead,that lot was a bottling plant when it caught on fire.......I think it was bk in 80's when lot which runs from Almond St. to Aramingo Ave was purchased for one american dollar.........the side section along Aramingo @York sold for around 25,000...........I know it makes no sense

Criminals,Not Society,Are Responsible for Crime........if Your Killer is Only Fifteen ,Are You Any Less Dead ?.................

My imaginary friend caught me talking to myself so now he is refusing to talk to me

Sally's picture

Pure_Fishtown wrote:
The block on York where PF is now was once Mack Truck. They were there for the longest time; they had a big window on York where a truck was always in the window. They moved away in the late 70's.

after Mack left it became Bell Telephone

Criminals,Not Society,Are Responsible for Crime........if Your Killer is Only Fifteen ,Are You Any Less Dead ?.................

My imaginary friend caught me talking to myself so now he is refusing to talk to me

Ftowntruehead's picture

Mystery solved, Thank you Pure Fishtown and Sally. I asked about that lot for almost 20 years now and heard different stories about it. One more question was there a big fire in the Mack truck building or was it just torn down.

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Sally wrote:
Pure_Fishtown wrote:
The block on York where PF is now was once Mack Truck. They were there for the longest time; they had a big window on York where a truck was always in the window. They moved away in the late 70's.

after Mack left it became Bell Telephone

Yep, then some yellow building wasn't it a check cashing place?

If you all remember, when the mall was being built, the developer promised a movie theater.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Ftowntruehead's picture

There was a check cashing place in the old Bell telephone building. The name of it was America Check Cashing. You can still see the signs for it on Google street view.

2BigDogs's picture

Kenzo wrote:
I'm actually ready right now to call a landscaper to haul off my backyard for disposal... my backyard is partially exposed and partially capped. The exposed part is covered with rocks. There's no kids or a growing dog (my dog is adult) so I'm not worried too much about exposure, but I want a backyard with grass without lead in it.

I'm guessing about 8" of soil removal and soil replacement, new topsoil and new carpet grass. I have to call the guy today I've been putting it off.

Do you have a suggestion for someone who does this? We're thinking we should do the same thing, though we have a pretty sizable lot.

How I spend my time:
www.sitstayrun.com
www.dogguide.net

Kenzo's picture

The folks I've been calling all seemed hesitant about removing toxic dirt. I would LOVE a referral for a crew that can dig my yard out and dispose of the waste that's EPA-certified if it comes to that. I can't raise my yard with sod because my back yard floods when it rains hard so it needs to stay at the same elevation.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Kenzo's picture

2319 Mercer has over $13,000 in back taxes. *sigh* Let me guess the Revenue Department will eventually get around to foreclosing on this thing.

NOT.

ok jbette I'll help you push this into Sheriff's. I'm sure at $13.5 a homebuilder would pick this lot up.

p.s. the story behind this property is so amusing. Went defunct without payments for a few years, City didn't foreclose. Became a nuisance, didn't foreclose. Eventually had to be torn down which the City paid for... didn't foreclose.

Now it's a vacant lot... won't foreclose.

And it's not like Mercer street is the hood, or anything.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Kenzo's picture

RETU just told me that Linebarger-Goggan owns the liens.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

jbette01's picture

Kenzo wrote:
2319 Mercer has over $13,000 in back taxes. *sigh* Let me guess the Revenue Department will eventually get around to foreclosing on this thing.

NOT.

ok jbette I'll help you push this into Sheriff's. I'm sure at $13.5 a homebuilder would pick this lot up.

p.s. the story behind this property is so amusing. Went defunct without payments for a few years, City didn't foreclose. Became a nuisance, didn't foreclose. Eventually had to be torn down which the City paid for... didn't foreclose.

Now it's a vacant lot... won't foreclose.

And it's not like Mercer street is the hood, or anything.

OK, keep me updated.

I dont want to put the cart before the horse, but if the project across the street (we just had a zoning mtg for it) goes well, maybe the builder will be interested. Who knows.

ExUnit4's picture

Curious. Does the 800 dollars have to be from one person/entity?? or could a group pool moneys together and submit it? And if so, would that said group need an official corporate name?

Speak softly, the dashboard cam has a very sensative microphone

Kenzo's picture

RETU and Linebarger will only accept a single cashier's check (and in Linebarger's case, a cashier's check or a money order).

So someone would need to agree to pool funds before sending it up.

Hmm that's an interesting idea... kinda like a micropayment system for entering Deed Poll Deposits. If the proposal to codify the Deed Poll Deposit into law gets cemented with the Land Bank, that makes for an interesting combo.

It would be possible to build a website where neighbors can chip in, say $5.00 donations into a pool, and we can have an administrator start putting money down to kick parcels into Sheriff's Sale. We could use a voting system like eBay where you can donate $5.00 and then "vote" on which parcel you think should go to Sheriff's Sale first.

When the auctions clear, the $800 is refunded back to the website. If you want to close your account, your monies are withdrawn and you can no longer vote on parcels (but you can still post eligible properties).

This actually sounds like a fun idea. What sayeth you '25ers?

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Kenzo's picture

By the way the only requirement for a Deed Poll Deposit is that you are breathing. You don't even need to be a Philadelphian, or a US citizen. If the RETU/Linebarger cashes your check, you're as good as gold and they start the notices and draw up the plea for the Preacipe to strip the deed.

So long as the owner doesn't enter a payment agreement with either RETU, Linebarger or GRB Law, there's nothing that will stop it from going to sale.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

ExUnit4's picture

Thanks, I was thinking along those lines ( And I like your idea)

I'd be interested in such a plan.

Speak softly, the dashboard cam has a very sensative microphone

ddddenis's picture

WHYY's Radio Times is having the USA Today lead author, investigative reporter Alison Young, and Greensgrow's Mary Seton Corboy on tomorrow, 10-11 a.m., talking about lead, soil, these "ghost factories" and more. Weds., 10-11 a.m. and 10-11 p.m. rebroadcast.

Kenzo's picture

Sweet! We'll be Kenzifying Radio Times, one listener at a time. I'll tune in.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Kat's picture

ddddenis wrote:
WHYY's Radio Times is having the USA Today lead author, investigative reporter Alison Young, and Greensgrow's Mary Seton Corboy on tomorrow, 10-11 a.m., talking about lead, soil, these "ghost factories" and more. Weds., 10-11 a.m. and 10-11 p.m. rebroadcast.

Nice!

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses's picture

I'm on Huntingdon and had my soil test last year. It's good soil, no lead.

Ugh.

th's picture

Shoot! I missed the radio times today.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

Matt Benatar's picture

I always heard that if you smelt it, you dealt it.

Love is a Mattlefield.