Office of Property Assessment Visit

About a month ago, a form was left on my door know from the City of Philadelphia, Office of Property Assessment, stating that they had visited my house to verify/update info regarding my property. Has anybody else encountered this? Also, has anybody heard anything on the latest about our local (Fishtown) property tax situation? I have not filled out an returned the form - so what will happen? Any info is appreciated.

It was discussed at the last FNA meeting with Mark Squilla. Basically, the city wants to reassess (read: raise) people's property taxes. Mark Squilla is opposed to doing this, and apparently he's trying to do something to stop it. Apparently they're targeting Fishtown for reassessment...

No idea what happens if you don't fill it out.

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

I assume the same thing as when you don't pay your property taxes - nothn.

Landj's picture

Actually, things do happen when you don't pay your property taxes. Schools don't get their funding. Maybe nothing happens to your house, but seeing as property ownership is not a right.. You can just go ahead and not get mad that the level of education is suffering. Oh, and maybe kick yourself a few times for just being a jerk. :)

Catphilly's picture

Thank you for your responses. Soooo, what I'm wondering is how this process is supposed to work? For example:

- I have lived in my house for over 20 years.
- It has never been gutted, remodeled, additions, etc.
- I have, and continue to, pay the highest taxes on my block (both sides of the street)
- I do NOT have the nicest house on the street (trust me, it is average)

So, how is this "form" supposed to assist in "assessing" what my taxes should be? Also, understanding that raising taxes is the ultimate goal, who in their right mind would tell them "Yes, my house has totally been remodeled ... wanna come in and see it?" ??

I have every intention of paying my taxes - as I do every year - but, is this the most cost effective way to fairly assess value? I'm wondering how much money was it put out to create these forms (not just printing, but think of the, probably, endless meetings - think overhead - that were held to decide what the content and questions should be) and pay the people who went door to door to distribute them.

Anyway, thank you for allowing me to vent :)

We filled it out but our answers were not completely honest. The entire house was restored but it's not necessarily any different than a house that's been well maintained. Our taxes are in line with the rest of the block and I don't mind them going, along with everyone else, but I don't want to be punished for the work I've done.

Gotta say that I'm with Landj on this one. I'm not trying to be harsh here, but the reason why you let the guys into your house is because it's the law. When you purchase (even if it's just for$1) property, you also agree pay the taxes. I'm with you on the idea that it's not fair that you pay more taxes than the person in the brand new house with a tax abatement, but property taxes are ridiculously low here no matter what the house next door looks like. Our city schools are in the dumps for many reasons, but a big one is that property taxes generated here can't support them. I know alot of people might say, "Well I don't have kids in the school system, so I don't care." But honestly, we SHOULD care.

Anyway, I've been accused lately of being very mean so I don't want you to think that I'm targeting you because I'm not. I'm just saying in general that paying the property taxes assessed upon us is the law and we should want to do it because that money goes towards bettering educational settings for the kids in our city.

Catphilly's picture

No problem, Lauraska ... I don't think you're being mean at all. One of the reasons that I posted was to get different view points, aside from just trying to understand what's going on. I agree with you that taxes are low, particularly with all of our growth in value. I guess I just would like for them to be comparably fair. Thanks for your input :)

Catphilly's picture

Ooops, also just to clarify ... tax abatement was not the issue. Our taxes - meaning my block - have been totally lopsided for many years, without there being any tax abatement properties on the street. Thanks :)

Catphilly wrote:

- I have lived in my house for over 20 years.
- It has never been gutted, remodeled, additions, etc.
- I do NOT have the nicest house on the street (trust me, it is average)

Anyway, thank you for allowing me to vent :)

I'd call Squilla's office and ask. Councilman Squilla made a point to stress how important constituant calls are. He's also said this issue is important to him.

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

I received the same notice about a month ago. I plan to follow my father's advice and just not acknowledge it until I no longer have a choice. He's done so successfully for over 35 years.

Landj's picture

Just a FYI. I didn't mean my rant to the original poster. I just meant it in response to "nothing happens if you don't pay property taxes." :)

ExUnit4's picture

Lets not forget that Daryll Clarke, head of City Council also represents many of us....not to mention he lives maybe all of 40 yards outside of Fishtown. However seeing how he rarely comes into our neighborhood and his home is grossly under taxed based on supposed market value perhaps it isn't important to him.

Speak softly, the dashboard cam has a very sensative microphone

Catphilly wrote:

- I have lived in my house for over 20 years.
- It has never been gutted, remodeled, additions, etc.
- I do NOT have the nicest house on the street (trust me, it is average)

Anyway, thank you for allowing me to vent :)

If you do not respond to the questionnaire you're likely to get a knock on your door by the assessor when he comes to canvass the neighborhood, asking the same questions that are on the door flyer.

Landj wrote:

i'm pretty sure th was making a joke, not advocating tax delinquency.

puzzles's picture

Catphilly wrote:

Does anyone know how this is different from the property tax increase that happened last year? (or was it the year before last?)

Catphilly's picture

No harm. I totally got it :)

Catphilly's picture

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice ... this is exactly what I was looking for! Within the next week, or so, I will be in contact with both Squilla and Clarke's office. I will be sure to keep everyone posted on what, if anything, I find out.

Chris in Kenzington's picture

The increases from the past 2 years are different. They were supposed to be temporary, but are now becoming permanent. Now you'll get reassessed and bumped higher.

puzzles wrote:

Also, not everyone's property tax rates are low around here. I know some peeps, north of York, that are paying $3000 a year on basic row homes.

I do know that if they increase your taxes, you will have the opportunity to appeal it.
I've always said, that when they get too high, I'll just go down there with pictures of the inside of the house.
You really can't judge a book by its cover.

Chris in Kenzington wrote:

really? we're north of york and our taxes are no where near four digits.

Chris in Kenzington's picture

really? we're north of york and our taxes are no where near four digits.

I couldn't believe it myself. My taxes aren't at 4 digits yet, but they are getting close. When my bud bought his house, the taxes were less than a grand. A year later, the city sent them through the roof. He has tried to fight the increase for over a year, but to no avail. Add to that the wage tax, and taxes are completely out of hand here. Especially when taking into account the public services you receive (or lack of services actually).

Chris in Kenzington wrote:
really? we're north of york and our taxes are no where near four digits.

ah, well that's something to look forward to.

fuzzybottoms's picture

Chris in Kenzington wrote:
really? we're north of york and our taxes are no where near four digits.

ah, well that's something to look forward to.

Hm. Our taxes are in the 4 digits and we have an abatement. So, we're paying 4 digits just on the land assessment. And we only own one lot. The city reassessed the value of our land after we bought our house and increased our taxes 5-fold. I really wish that we wouldn't have the so-called abatement because it's truly a joke. We pay more in taxes that anyone else on our street and we're not even paying taxes on our house.

fuzzybottoms wrote:
Chris in Kenzington wrote:
really? we're north of york and our taxes are no where near four digits.

ah, well that's something to look forward to.

i'm just hoping the boarded up house on our block keeps the assessments low.

sandi

If my taxes are truly going back into the neighborhood, and most importantly to public schools, even through I pay to send my children to private school, then I say do it! Raise my taxes, raise my property value, even though my family is completely poor right now, supporting quality public education, early education, neighborhood revitalization, safety, recreation, and sustainability are all areas where I would be proud to see the little money I have going to make a difference.

"If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, the excitement, and the mystery of the world we live in." --Rachel Carlson

sandi wrote:

If the property taxes paid in our area stayed in our area, we would have better city services. But they don't and will not stay here.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

i have no problem with increased funding for the school district, but they need serious reform. they have as much cash per student as many surrounding districts that aren't chronically bankrupt.

sandi

I figured as much, hense the word "truly" at the beginning of my post!

Before raising taxes the city has to have an equitable and fair system, then they need to collect delinquent taxes, get city owned land back in private hands and on the tax rolls, then they can start looking at raising taxes on the average home-owner. Still I see no need to let the assessor INSIDE my home. Why should my taxes be based on the condition of my kitchen or bathroom, do granite countertops (I wish I had them) make ones tax burden on city services greater? The bank can issue an equity line without coming inside I think the city can come up with an assessment based on property size, SF, and comps that does not penalize for maintaining your property and incentivize blighting it.

Ultimately, given the high tax burden of income, sales and sin taxes I think the city should work to make the property tax system fair but also try to keep property taxes low. The low property tax rate helps make up for the income tax and provides a significant incentive NOT to move to New Jersey.

lstriar's picture

At the same time, they plan to make back the money by reassessing home values. While many fear that this effort will come along with corruption, the Mayor has made it one of his major pushes to clean up this system, and reassessing property, so that the original poster in this thread no longer pays more than the rest of the block, is one of the ways to accomplish that. This Mayor has his failings, but one thing he does not generally fail it is an attempt to make the City government more fair and ethical. The property tax assessment system HAS to change, and I would recommend everyone support this effort.

Chris in Kenzington's picture

i'm just hoping the boarded up house on our block keeps the assessments low.

hmmm.... i wonder if my neighbor would mind if I throw a couple pieces of plywood over his windows. i'll do it to my place too for good measure :)

Chris in Kenzington's picture

lstriar wrote:
From what I have read, the Mayor is proposing to actually end the temporary property tax hike that has been in effect the past two years..

it's temporary portion is ending alright. They're making it permanent.

Chris in Kenzington's picture

lighterthief wrote:

bingo. the property tax rate should be assessed by two factors only: size and location of the lot. you could literally reassess the entire city in less than a week doing it this way and make it for fair for everyone. the building on the lot should have zero impact on the property tax

lstriar's picture

Chris in Kenzington wrote:
lstriar wrote:

it's temporary portion is ending alright. They're making it permanent.

That may be so in the end, but that is not the plan at the moment. The plan is to let the temporary tax hike expire. To make it permanent would require new legislation.

Chris in Kenzington's picture

lstriar wrote:

You're right. I misread the article. Seems the city will let the tax increases from the past two years expire at the end of the year, and then replace them with the new reassessed number.

Chris in Kenzington wrote:
lstriar wrote:

Which .... if I remember correctly that Council has until to June to vote on the increased number.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Landj's picture

Bozoloper.. Just wanted to thank you for clarifying that th wasnt being serious.............. ;)

Landj wrote:

he's a jerk, but not that much of a jerk.

Landj's picture

Haha.. I didn't think he was being serious. I wasn't directing my reply to him either. It was to the people who know who they are that don't pay property taxes because the city doesnt enforce it. That's all. :)

Landj's picture

When I lived in las Vegas I lived in this amazing condo resort style place. Vegas is cheap to live, you get a lot for your $. Anyway, so many owners stopped paying their hoa fees. The place wasn't really caring too much. Then one day one pool was closed. Then the basketball wasn't fixed. People started complaining. Then the ones who were behind in their fees gate keys were turned off. Some of the people that were screwed were renting from said homeowners. Some people were so far behind they couldn't or didn't want to catch up. It turned the place in to a dump. No one ever thought they were going to care. Then one day they did.

Landj wrote:

ah, the beauty of not having a mortgage.

FishtownYo's picture

My taxes were amongst the streets highest at one point and we have one the smallest houses. I know we definitely have the smallest yard on the street. I sent an email to the tax assessment board with a listing of all the neighbors taxes and aerial photo from google maps. Within 2 weeks of the email, I went from the highest to almost the lowest. It took about 15 minutes of work and saved me 400+ a year.

This was about 5 years ago and probably wouldn't happen now a days.

What is so bad about religion is that it fosters a primitive form of morality that hinders progress in virtually any domain beneficial to our modern world.

This will probably give most of you a frowny face:
MICHAEL NUTTER IS EXPECTING A 20% INCREASE IN REVENUE FROM PROPERTY TAXES AFTER THE AVI SYSTEM GOES INTO EFFECT. YES, THAT'S **OVER** THE PROPERTY TAX HIKES THE LAST 2 YEARS.

The last 2 years there have been 2 property tax increases. These were done to the City millage rate. Both are set to expire.

Last year, Michael Nutter introduced the City's 5 year plan showing projected revenue. Of course, the Property Tax portion of this was shown to be staying the same and increasing through all 5 years. When asked about WHY there would be no reduction in the budget estimate (because the millage will revert back to its old rate)... the City would not respond, nor would Alan Butkovitz, the City Controller.

The Inquirer and the DN published those facts. The City had no response: that should tell you a lot.

So yes, these tax increases are going to be made permanent and the way they are going to do it is when they take out the prorata property tax assessment system and put you on AVI (Actual Value Initiative aka Full Value Initiative) the final outcome is that your taxes are likely to rise--again--in neighborhoods that have stable or improving property values, and will stay the same in declining neighborhoods (i.e. Oxford Circle).

The assessor is charged with correcting OBVIOUS screw-ups... like two identical original condition rowhomes with differences that are glaring, like some who have differences in up to the 4 digits, and even higher.

Here's a DN article that ran last summer about the little man with the clipboard:

Nutter has said that he believes most of the 20% increase in property tax revenue will come from:

- Accelerating Sheriff Sales faster (sending more properties to Sheriff's a month)
- Tax abatement properties due to come offline. The very first of the 10-year tax abatement properties have already started losing their abatements this year and it will slowly build from there
- Correcting gross underestimated values where taxes were purely set to "vapor" levels due to malfeasance by BRT employees. This is part of the patronage/corruption scandal at the BRT when Michael Nutter first took office and it's why there is now an OPA and a BRT. The BRT is what is left of the original patronage jobs and the OPA is the office that has taken over most of the functions of the City's property book.
- Gentrification and redevelopment valuations that haven't been done for decades where you have million dollar properties paying thousand-dollar taxes.

puzzles's picture

So my taxes have increased as of this month's mortgage statement apparently. Anyone else have the same thing going on?

ruhoh! better actually open my mail

If they over assess my cruddy little cottage due to my snappy new neighbors with their zen gardens and prius' I am going to be p*ssed.

DP

Dunno - haven't gotten my new statement yet after my refinance.

Coder's picture

I haven't gotten any contact about this at all. No cards, no visits, nada.
Hopefully, I'm flying under the radar.

"No no! You don't ask me questions! You are a rabbit! I am a human!"

nirvana's picture

I appealed. Took pictures of my house front and back and neighbors houses front and back. of kids dealing and drinking on the corner. (This was because I had the front of the house pointed and got new doors but the condition of my surrounding area was a mess. there were rats in the yard behind me and pigeons living in the broken out windows behind my house. (I got pics of it all). I won the appeal and they did raise my taxes. There is a lot of disparity in what people pay from house to house. Any outside improvement seems to raise your taxes. I did appeal twice and went to both hearings and won... If you think the amt is not fair for the condition of your house and surrounding area, i would recommend appealing. The pictures really helped.

nirvana

memphis's picture

I think that your purchase price should dictate how much your RE taxes are. We need more money so we can fund the new charter schools that are going up all over the city. These are the ones that will put a lot of teachers out of work. Charter schools will be able to hire non-union and underqualified teachers. Soon there will be a charter school on every block. Public education in this city will be dead. No public schools and no catholic schools. Just a few private schools for the elite. So it is written, so it shall be done.

"We have two evils to fight, capitalism and racism. We must destroy both racism and capitalism."

Jayallday's picture

memphis wrote:

That's fine except when the neighborhood increases or decreases in value. What about people who bought before the bubble burst and their house dramatically decreased in value? It would seem a little unfair to them

Wherever you go, there you are

Jayallday wrote:
memphis wrote:

That was the market price back then, when the market was inflated with cheap credit.

Jayallday's picture

Credit is even cheaper now it's just harder to get

Wherever you go, there you are

Jayallday wrote:
Credit is even cheaper now it's just harder to get

Price and supply are two different things. Everyone buys homes now either in cash (investors) or FHA, and FHA virtually requires an anal probe these days to get approval. FHA loans post-2008 are now high quality and that's been the whole mortgage market since 2008. Republicans poo-poo FHA guaranteed loans but that is doing more to heal the private mortgage market than anything. Demand for new loans though has dropped way down nationwide, except where there are areas of growth like in Philadelphia.

Most of the time bomb Option-ARM mortgages from late 2007, around the time when that form of mortgage was taken out of the market, have already exploded. Mortgage delinquency rates are doing a lot better now than before.

Credit supply has been restricted with higher credit scores needed to get into FHA (you're not really safe unless you got a 640 or better; preferably you should shoot for 680). The insurance backing these higher-quality loans up will help cover for defaults and stabilize the market. And there's huge sections of the country with people stuck in underwater homes paying on expensive mortgages.

If you walk away from an underwater house, you can kiss getting another mortgage goodbye for at least 4 years. That's kept the majority of people out of the mortgage market; because they're stuck where they are.

The cheap but harder to get credit is fixing the mortgage mess on its own. As rents continue to keep going up because the demand for rent keeps going high, you'll have a fraction of those renters start to put their toe in the water and will get into houses.

Coder's picture

I haven't gotten any mail, or any notice, or heard one thing about this. I paid the taxes in Jan. They weren't out of line. Am I safe until next year? Will I get another 'adjusted' tax bill this year?
All I gotta do is invite them inside...they'd probably knock my taxes down by half.

"No no! You don't ask me questions! You are a rabbit! I am a human!"

Catphilly's picture

Coder: I hear ya. I just need someone to explain in simple terms (like talk to me like I'm 2 yrs old) ... what is going on???

I don't understand this either. On the OPA website the assessed value of my house is the same for 2012 as it was for 2011, but my taxes went up $30.

What I understand is this is for the 2013 taxes; 2012's are over and should be paid by now.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

True. All that stuff is in escrow, I don't really pay that much attention to it.