Malt liquor is like gold, yo!

So the kid and I came back from an afternoon/evening on the town to find almost my entire block, old and new neighbors standing at the corner staring down Collins Street where all we could see was cop cars. There are a few (and I mean a few) good people on that stretch of Collins so I got worried and went down there to get the scoop. Turns out it was just a fight among a bunch of girls, although two of them were holding babies while they swung at each other. Classy!

Anyway, this story is about what happened while the neighbors all stood there chatting. A car creeped up very slowly and a girl popped out of the back seat. She literally tip-toed up to a house that was a couple doors down from the fight and picked up a bottle that had been sitting there. I thought the fight was about to start again, but she turned around and high-tailed it back to the car. Turns out she'd had to leave behind her 40oz when the fight heated up and she came back around to retrieve it. Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!

Happy Friday, y'all!

**An unfortunately necessary disclaimer - this post is meant to be a humorous tale about life in Kenzo. It is NOT a statement about all who live here.**

dan

Thanks for sharing this inspiring story of hope in the midst of adversary. Commitment and persistence being rewarded with a joyful reunion always moves me.

"I ain't got no dope. I just got my forty." - Jason Mraz

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

sdm's picture

I'd like to say this is the first fight I've heard about in the past two days where a baby was involved, but then there's this gem:

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/super-page/meramec-community-college-goes-hard/

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

Kenzo's picture

You know how much Silver Thunder COSTS these days? Sheeeee... if I had a 40oz I wouldn't just leave it by its lonesome. A pony, sure, but not a 40.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Lauraska's picture

dan wrote:
Thanks for sharing this inspiring story of hope in the midst of adversary. Commitment and persistence being rewarded with a joyful reunion always moves me.

"I ain't got no dope. I just got my forty." - Jason Mraz

As one of my older neighbors said, "Better that girl saves herself from spending another $4 on a new 40, right? At the end of the month it could mean the difference between being able to buy that Friday's 40 or breaking into our cars for spare change to buy one."

I was amazed at a) how awesome that statement was and b) the fact that it wasn't me who said it!!

austen's picture

I have overheard a conversation on whether to order another round or not, because toilet paper money was in jeopardy.

sdm's picture

austen wrote:
I have overheard a conversation on whether to order another round or not, because toilet paper money was in jeopardy.

And they went ahead and did it anyways.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

ronchito's picture

austen wrote:
I have overheard a conversation on whether to order another round or not, because toilet paper money was in jeopardy.

And I believe they eventually opted for the extra round, no?

bozoloper's picture

ronchito wrote:
austen wrote:
I have overheard a conversation on whether to order another round or not, because toilet paper money was in jeopardy.

And I believe they eventually opted for the extra round, no?

$5 heinekens, no less, i wanted to talk to them about the joys of pbr and not having dingleberries.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

austen's picture

Yes, the round was ordered, to the surrounding patrons' delight.

Leo's picture

Why does anyone order Heineken? It's expensive Budweiser in a green bottle.

Maybe I just answered my question.

Mulvihill & Rushie LLC
The Fishtown Lawyers
Criminal Defense • Civil Trials
www.FishtownLaw.com
215.385.5291

th's picture

That's a story about you guys, isn't it. It's ok. We won't judge.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

ronchito's picture

It was a tough week.

th's picture

Actually I don't get it. Why can't you just steal TP from work like everyone else?

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

dan

ronchito wrote:
austen wrote:
I have overheard a conversation on whether to order another round or not, because toilet paper money was in jeopardy.

And I believe they eventually opted for the extra round, no?

And I'm guessing that at closing that evening it was discovered the toilet paper was missing from both restrooms.

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

bozoloper's picture

dan wrote:
ronchito wrote:
austen wrote:
I have overheard a conversation on whether to order another round or not, because toilet paper money was in jeopardy.

And I believe they eventually opted for the extra round, no?

And I'm guessing that at closing that evening it was discovered the toilet paper was missing from both restrooms.

well the one restroom isn't allowed to have paper products anymore. it was apparently causing a problem.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

ronchito's picture

dan wrote:
ronchito wrote:
austen wrote:
I have overheard a conversation on whether to order another round or not, because toilet paper money was in jeopardy.

And I believe they eventually opted for the extra round, no?

And I'm guessing that at closing that evening it was discovered the toilet paper was missing from both restrooms.

If their beer & liquor stock is any indication, I wouldn't be surprised if O'Reillys didn't have any TP to steal.

sdm's picture

ronchito wrote:
dan wrote:
ronchito wrote:
austen wrote:
I have overheard a conversation on whether to order another round or not, because toilet paper money was in jeopardy.

And I believe they eventually opted for the extra round, no?

And I'm guessing that at closing that evening it was discovered the toilet paper was missing from both restrooms.

If their beer & liquor stock is any indication, I wouldn't be surprised if O'Reillys didn't have any TP to steal.

They're in the process of hiring an actual bar manager so hopefully things will turn around in that department.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

Matt Benatar's picture

Does anybody still use the term "yo" to end a sentence, besides Jesse Pinkman?

Love is a Mattlefield.

meredith's picture

oh, john and charlotte, how i miss you!

“Try to learn to let what is unfair teach you.” – David Foster Wallace

Coder's picture

I can honestly say I have never drank malt liquor. But I ain't dead yet.

bozoloper's picture

Coder wrote:
I can honestly say I have never drank malt liquor. But I ain't dead yet.

does anthony's carry colt 45? first one is on me.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

Coder's picture

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

austen's picture

Coder wrote:
I can honestly say I have never drank malt liquor. But I ain't dead yet.

Seriously? Not even grape Mad Dog?

Cutter's picture

austen wrote:
Coder wrote:
I can honestly say I have never drank malt liquor. But I ain't dead yet.

Seriously? Not even grape Mad Dog?

Not malt likka, that's bum wine. Different, inebriated animal.

Coder's picture

Oh god, I remember when MD20/20 came on the market. Our prayers had been answered. No more Bali Hai for us...but yes, that's just fortified wine. Malt liquor is different. I just don't like the word malt. Its a turn off.

sdm's picture

MD 20/20 is the only alcohol I will not allow in my home.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

Coder's picture

Prude.
I have to stand corrected. I was informed by an old friend yesterday that I had indeed consumed malt liquor.
Carlsberg Elephant...I didn't realize.

Stock's picture

Leo wrote:
Why does anyone order Heineken? It's expensive Budweiser in a green bottle.

Maybe I just answered my question.

People drink Pabst. Still haven't figured that one out.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

1fish2fish's picture

I'm pretty sure that any of the spaten's are malt beverages, except for the original spaten. The octoberfest and the dunkelwiess are all marked as malt beverages...I never would have thought that!

Cutter's picture

All beers are malt beverages.

stbenjamin's picture

1fish2fish wrote:
I'm pretty sure that any of the spaten's are malt beverages, except for the original spaten. The octoberfest and the dunkelwiess are all marked as malt beverages...I never would have thought that!

I think that is because of the high ABV, not due to the use of any adjuncts like corn or rice. In some states beer over a certain strength has to be called malt liquor and I am sure they use the same label for everything they import into the USA.

simmer's picture

Let he who is without sin.......I can tell you that I went back to get my beer many times when I was that age. Not proud of it now of course but when you are under 21 and can't get your hands on alcohol easily you have to do different things. Im sure all of us here did. And when I was that age, Mcdonalds gave out free toilet paper.....at least i think it was free.

dmandy's picture

Lauraska wrote:
Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!

Happy Friday, y'all!

**An unfortunately necessary disclaimer - this post is meant to be a humorous tale about life in Kenzo. It is NOT a statement about all who live here.**

When I started to read this post I thought it was just another report of something happening in the neighborhood. Until I came to the ending. I've been trying to come up with the right word and i think I have , it is disparaging. Why, Laura, do you feel it necessary to disparage the very large commuity of Kensington because of the actions of a few? This isn't the first time you have done it as evidenced by your disclamer. You do it on a regular basis. There are many, many good people in Kensington who get up and go to work, take care of their homes and their families. Good people who do what they can to keep this area together. And this isn't a new people vs old people, white people vs everyone else. You insult everyone who is a good neighbor when you make comments like, " Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!" Just saying that something is a humorous tale about life in Kenzo doesn't make it so.

Cutter's picture

Hurricanes go really well with a Crown Fried 3 piece meal. It was the afterwork hump day pick me up when I lived at 6th and girard.

sdm's picture

Cutter wrote:
Hurricanes go really well with a Crown Fried 3 piece meal. It was the afterwork hump day pick me up when I lived at 6th and girard.

I love CFC. I remember a party once in Manhattan where we actually had someone that was coming from Philly bring up a bag of chicken from CFC for us to eat.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

1fish2fish's picture

stbenjamin wrote:
1fish2fish wrote:
I'm pretty sure that any of the spaten's are malt beverages, except for the original spaten. The octoberfest and the dunkelwiess are all marked as malt beverages...I never would have thought that!

I think that is because of the high ABV, not due to the use of any adjuncts like corn or rice. In some states beer over a certain strength has to be called malt liquor and I am sure they use the same label for everything they import into the USA.

good to know! I have only noticed it on the spaten stuff, I'll look at other higher ABV imports.

th's picture

1fish2fish wrote:
stbenjamin wrote:
1fish2fish wrote:
I'm pretty sure that any of the spaten's are malt beverages, except for the original spaten. The octoberfest and the dunkelwiess are all marked as malt beverages...I never would have thought that!

I think that is because of the high ABV, not due to the use of any adjuncts like corn or rice. In some states beer over a certain strength has to be called malt liquor and I am sure they use the same label for everything they import into the USA.

good to know! I have only noticed it on the spaten stuff, I'll look at other higher ABV imports.

Is King Cobra an import?

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

Coder's picture

dmandy wrote:
Lauraska wrote:
Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!

Happy Friday, y'all!

**An unfortunately necessary disclaimer - this post is meant to be a humorous tale about life in Kenzo. It is NOT a statement about all who live here.**

When I started to read this post I thought it was just another report of something happening in the neighborhood. Until I came to the ending. I've been trying to come up with the right word and i think I have , it is disparaging. Why, Laura, do you feel it necessary to disparage the very large commuity of Kensington because of the actions of a few? This isn't the first time you have done it as evidenced by your disclamer. You do it on a regular basis. There are many, many good people in Kensington who get up and go to work, take care of their homes and their families. Good people who do what they can to keep this area together. And this isn't a new people vs old people, white people vs everyone else. You insult everyone who is a good neighbor when you make comments like, " Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!" Just saying that something is a humorous tale about life in Kenzo doesn't make it so.

Apparently, Ken Milano agrees with you.

Newcomer's picture

Coder wrote:
dmandy wrote:
Lauraska wrote:
Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!

Happy Friday, y'all!

**An unfortunately necessary disclaimer - this post is meant to be a humorous tale about life in Kenzo. It is NOT a statement about all who live here.**

When I started to read this post I thought it was just another report of something happening in the neighborhood. Until I came to the ending. I've been trying to come up with the right word and i think I have , it is disparaging. Why, Laura, do you feel it necessary to disparage the very large commuity of Kensington because of the actions of a few? This isn't the first time you have done it as evidenced by your disclamer. You do it on a regular basis. There are many, many good people in Kensington who get up and go to work, take care of their homes and their families. Good people who do what they can to keep this area together. And this isn't a new people vs old people, white people vs everyone else. You insult everyone who is a good neighbor when you make comments like, " Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!" Just saying that something is a humorous tale about life in Kenzo doesn't make it so.

Apparently, Ken Milano agrees with you.

Why the indignation? The story involved a select few classy individuals and not the community at large.

Coder's picture

Me? I'm currently referring to Mr. Milano's opinion that a particular poster on the board is pretty consistantly denigrating the family structure of some old school lifers. I thought it was striking that he could peruse the site and pick that out so quickly. I used to think I was being paranoid, but feel somewhat vindicated now. My comment had nothing to do with the previous posts regarding Mr. Milano, who gained my admiration by posting and making his opinions known. Whether I agree with him or not.

Newcomer's picture

Coder wrote:
Me? I'm currently referring to Mr. Milano's opinion that a particular poster on the board is pretty consistantly denigrating the family structure of some old school lifers. I thought it was striking that he could peruse the site and pick that out so quickly. I used to think I was being paranoid, but feel somewhat vindicated now. My comment had nothing to do with the previous posts regarding Mr. Milano, who gained my admiration by posting and making his opinions known. Whether I agree with him or not.

No, I was referring to the quoted post by dmandy.

Milano mentioned "newcomers" posting disparaging remarks; it doesn't look as if he singled anyone out and I don't see how he could have when the old site contained so many posts about vandalism, drugs, noise, etc., from many different people .

Coder's picture

Perhaps its the Fishtown 'chip on the shoulder' thing. I seem to see it very clearly.

dmandy's picture

Newcomer wrote:
Coder wrote:
dmandy wrote:
Lauraska wrote:
Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!

Happy Friday, y'all!

**An unfortunately necessary disclaimer - this post is meant to be a humorous tale about life in Kenzo. It is NOT a statement about all who live here.**

When I started to read this post I thought it was just another report of something happening in the neighborhood. Until I came to the ending. I've been trying to come up with the right word and i think I have , it is disparaging. Why, Laura, do you feel it necessary to disparage the very large commuity of Kensington because of the actions of a few? This isn't the first time you have done it as evidenced by your disclamer. You do it on a regular basis. There are many, many good people in Kensington who get up and go to work, take care of their homes and their families. Good people who do what they can to keep this area together. And this isn't a new people vs old people, white people vs everyone else. You insult everyone who is a good neighbor when you make comments like, " Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!" Just saying that something is a humorous tale about life in Kenzo doesn't make it so.

Apparently, Ken Milano agrees with you.

Why the indignation? The story involved a select few classy individuals and not the community at large.

"Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!"

Up until this quote I agree with you, newcomer. and then Laura had to go there as she does so many times. By saying, "Ah Kensington", she included the whole community. Often, Laura will start out with a good point and almost as if she can't help herself, she makes a dig at the whole community. There was no reason to include that last remark but she does it all the time. Saying something is funny doesn't change the underlying sentiment.

Newcomer's picture

Coder wrote:
Perhaps its the Fishtown 'chip on the shoulder' thing. I seem to see it very clearly.

That Ken was referring to specifically one poster when he claimed that disparaging remarks came from "newcomers"?

Newcomer's picture

dmandy wrote:
Newcomer wrote:
Coder wrote:
dmandy wrote:
Lauraska wrote:
Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!

Happy Friday, y'all!

**An unfortunately necessary disclaimer - this post is meant to be a humorous tale about life in Kenzo. It is NOT a statement about all who live here.**

When I started to read this post I thought it was just another report of something happening in the neighborhood. Until I came to the ending. I've been trying to come up with the right word and i think I have , it is disparaging. Why, Laura, do you feel it necessary to disparage the very large commuity of Kensington because of the actions of a few? This isn't the first time you have done it as evidenced by your disclamer. You do it on a regular basis. There are many, many good people in Kensington who get up and go to work, take care of their homes and their families. Good people who do what they can to keep this area together. And this isn't a new people vs old people, white people vs everyone else. You insult everyone who is a good neighbor when you make comments like, " Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!" Just saying that something is a humorous tale about life in Kenzo doesn't make it so.

Apparently, Ken Milano agrees with you.

Why the indignation? The story involved a select few classy individuals and not the community at large.

"Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!"

Up until this quote I agree with you, newcomer. and then Laura had to go there as she does so many times. By saying, "Ah Kensington", she included the whole community. Often, Laura will start out with a good point and almost as if she can't help herself, she makes a dig at the whole community. There was no reason to include that last remark but she does it all the time. Saying something is funny doesn't change the underlying sentiment.

I don't know. Clearly seems like a joke and not a mean-spirited swipe. If someone complaining about raging ATVs on Cumberland [Kat, for example] commented, "Fishtown, where ATV is king," would you feel as if it was an indictment of the whole community?

Coder's picture

I think we all know that everyone, has a gripe from time to time. But I think we also know that sometimes its the same people over and over again, with the same negative comments...whether intentional or not.
But you are correct, after rereading the post, Mr. Milano DID NOT specify any one person. I stand corrected.
I think that anyone with any kind of perception can clearly tell the occasional rant from the regular negative aside. Sometimes, I think the posters don't even realize they are being so negative, because it is so ingrained into the fabric of their being. Subconsciously, they are unhappy about something here, and it rears its head without intent.

Newcomer's picture

Coder wrote:
I think we all know that everyone, has a gripe from time to time. But I think we also know that sometimes its the same people over and over again, with the same negative comments...whether intentional or not.
But you are correct, after rereading the post, Mr. Milano DID NOT specify any one person. I stand corrected.
I think that anyone with any kind of perception can clearly tell the occasional rant from the regular negative aside. Sometimes, I think the posters don't even realize they are being so negative, because it is so ingrained into the fabric of their being. Subconsciously, they are unhappy about something here, and it rears its head without intent.

Just wait until the Arctic Iced Tea event; it's gonna bring us together like nothing else has -- not Meet The Neighbors, Crime Watches, or Dan Roth in drag. It's gonna be the cold war we've been looking for all these years.

Coder's picture

Should we take bets on who will be rolling around in Palmer street with a hand full of hair, by the end of the night? Lol!

Lauraska's picture

You know what's funny? I actually swiped that last line from a neighbor, who said it as the girl got back into the car and drove away. That neighbor lives in the house in which she was born, right across the street from me. I'll go over there today and let her know that you all think she has anger issues and hates the neighborhood.

dmandy's picture

[quote=Newcomer
I don't know. Clearly seems like a joke and not a mean-spirited swipe. If someone complaining about raging ATVs on Cumberland [Kat, for example] commented, "Fishtown, where ATV is king," would you feel as if it was an indictment of the whole community?

If Kat had a history of insulting a whole community I would feel the same way. But Kat doesn't do that so I would just write it off as her needing to rant. On the other hand, Laura does it on a regular basis. It has been clear since Laura moved here, at least to me, that the area isn't a good fit for her. I grew up right down the street from there and watched it change, slowly at first and then very fast. I don't know if I would live there. But the fact that she may have a lot of dirtbags living around her doesn't mean she should insult a whole community. She needs to look past them and see the good neighbors who are too busy taking care of things to appear on her radar. This community shouldn't be defined by the few but by the very great people who have chosen to live here.

dmandy's picture

Lauraska wrote:
You know what's funny? I actually swiped that last line from a neighbor, who said it as the girl got back into the car and drove away. That neighbor lives in the house in which she was born, right across the street from me. I'll go over there today and let her know that you all think she has anger issues and hates the neighborhood.

No Laura, she doesn't have anger issues and hates the neighborhood. You are the one who insults a whole community on a regular basis. This isn't the first time I've called you on this and I'm afraid that it won't be the last. Now this is just my opinon, but the meaning changed when you posted it because of your feelings about your area. It's the same as if I called my brother a dirtbagand someone else did. It isn't because you weren't born here but because you have kept yourself an outsider. You've done that by insulting a whole community because of a few.

Lauraska's picture

Just let me know how many years I have to put in before I'm allowed to make any sort of joke about my experiences as a resident here.

Look, we aren't going to agree on this, yet you continue to press it. You think that my sarcasm stems from some sort of subconscious anger problem and the idea that I just don't belong here (your statement, not mine). I think that the constant need to dog pile on anyone who says anything remotely negative is a sure sign of a huge insecurity about where you live and that if you truly loved it as much as you say you do, you wouldn't feel the need to defend it so much. We are never going to change our minds about each other, and yet, I still find you to be a warm and friendly person. So who cares?

If I ever leave here, it won't be because of this neighborhood. It will be because of this abominable city as a whole, which is full of great people but run by a select dirty few that have ruined it for everyone.

th's picture

Lauraska wrote:
If I ever leave here, it won't be because of this neighborhood. It will be because of this abominable city as a whole, which is full of great people but run by a select dirty few that have ruined it for everyone.

They haven't ruined it for me.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

dmandy's picture

Lauraska wrote:
Just let me know how many years I have to put in before I'm allowed to make any sort of joke about my experiences as a resident here.

Look, we aren't going to agree on this, yet you continue to press it. You think that my sarcasm stems from some sort of subconscious anger problem and the idea that I just don't belong here (your statement, not mine). I think that the constant need to dog pile on anyone who says anything remotely negative is a sure sign of a huge insecurity about where you live and that if you truly loved it as much as you say you do, you wouldn't feel the need to defend it so much. We are never going to change our minds about each other, and yet, I still find you to be a warm and friendly person. So who cares?

If I ever leave here, it won't be because of this neighborhood. It will be because of this abominable city as a whole, which is full of great people but run by a select dirty few that have ruined it for everyone.

It isn't the number of years but how you feel about the neighborhood. You have kept yourself from being accepted because you can't stop insulting the community. I'm not reacting to someone saying anything remotely negative I am reacting to you insulting this community. I said that I wouldn't live where you are and it's because I believe there is too large a number of dirtbags there to make it worth my while. Yet I don't feel the need to put down everyone who lives in Kensington. I don't believe that is the area you wanted to be in, it was the one you settled for, and it is hard to be in a place you really don't like. I know you care Laura but it is hard to be welcomed when you say the things you do.

Lauraska's picture

Dmandy, with all due respect, you don't know jack squat about how accepted or unaccepted I am outside of this message board, which has absolutely no correlation to real life whatsoever. I don't need to justify how many friends I have or where they live. If you are referring to the people on Fishtown.us who have publicly announced their FB defriending of me, they weren't real life friends of mine to begin with. I am quite happy with my social contacts inside and outside the neighborhood. You also know absolutely nothing about why we bought our house or why we are where we are. Please stop with your analysis and conjecture. You have no idea what you're talking about. We have pleasant conversations around town when we see each other, but you are making it seem as if I have talked to you about these things and I haven't. Please stop.

dmandy's picture

Lauraska wrote:
Dmandy, with all due respect, you don't know jack squat about how accepted or unaccepted I am outside of this message board, which has absolutely no correlation to real life whatsoever. I don't need to justify how many friends I have or where they live. If you are referring to the people on Fishtown.us who have publicly announced their FB defriending of me, they weren't real life friends of mine to begin with. I am quite happy with my social contacts inside and outside the neighborhood. You also know absolutely nothing about why we bought our house or why we are where we are. Please stop with your analysis and conjecture. You have no idea what you're talking about. We have pleasant conversations around town when we see each other, but you are making it seem as if I have talked to you about these things and I haven't. Please stop.

You're right, I only know what you put on here and that is what i write about. You have posted on here that you don't feel accepted and that you are being judged differntly because you are an outsider. And it is ths things you post here that shows what your feelings are about this neighborhood. If you don't want people commenting on what you post and calling you on things they feel are wrong, don't post them here. Don't put your thoughts and feelings out in public if you don't want public comment. There are thoughts I have about many things but I don't put them here just because I can. I like you Laura and I wish that you would stop a moment before you post that last thought. The story in the original post was just that, a story about the neighborhood, until you had to say just one more thing.

Lauraska's picture

You are overreacting, dmandy, but it is your prerogative.

I've never said that I didn't feel accepted, here. EVER. I've never said I felt like an outsider, either. It's just not something I'd say. Just like how you read into what I wrote in the OP this thread, you are reading into what I've said in other posts. Not everything has a hidden meaning or needs analysis. You are inferring waaaaaay too much and, frankly, it's a little scary.

dmandy's picture

Lauraska wrote:
You are overreacting, dmandy, but it is your prerogative.

I've never said that I didn't feel accepted, here. EVER. I've never said I felt like an outsider, either. It's just not something I'd say. Just like how you read into what I wrote in the OP this thread, you are reading into what I've said in other posts. Not everything has a hidden meaning or needs analysis. You are inferring waaaaaay too much and, frankly, it's a little scary.

Whatever, you believe that if it makes you feel better.

Lauraska's picture

What is there to believe? Myself? And how I feel? Are you telling me that I don't know my own personal feelings? This is rich. Seriously.

Leo's picture

Mulvihill & Rushie LLC
The Fishtown Lawyers
Criminal Defense • Civil Trials
www.FishtownLaw.com
215.385.5291

dmandy's picture

Leo, while I've always hated Baez's version of this song I appreciate the sentiment.

Lauraska's picture

First I get told how I feel and now Kumbaya? This is starting to feel more and more like an EKNA meeting.

Kat's picture

Newcomer wrote:
dmandy wrote:
Newcomer wrote:
Coder wrote:
dmandy wrote:
Lauraska wrote:
Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!

Happy Friday, y'all!

**An unfortunately necessary disclaimer - this post is meant to be a humorous tale about life in Kenzo. It is NOT a statement about all who live here.**

When I started to read this post I thought it was just another report of something happening in the neighborhood. Until I came to the ending. I've been trying to come up with the right word and i think I have , it is disparaging. Why, Laura, do you feel it necessary to disparage the very large commuity of Kensington because of the actions of a few? This isn't the first time you have done it as evidenced by your disclamer. You do it on a regular basis. There are many, many good people in Kensington who get up and go to work, take care of their homes and their families. Good people who do what they can to keep this area together. And this isn't a new people vs old people, white people vs everyone else. You insult everyone who is a good neighbor when you make comments like, " Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!" Just saying that something is a humorous tale about life in Kenzo doesn't make it so.

Apparently, Ken Milano agrees with you.

Why the indignation? The story involved a select few classy individuals and not the community at large.

"Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!"

Up until this quote I agree with you, newcomer. and then Laura had to go there as she does so many times. By saying, "Ah Kensington", she included the whole community. Often, Laura will start out with a good point and almost as if she can't help herself, she makes a dig at the whole community. There was no reason to include that last remark but she does it all the time. Saying something is funny doesn't change the underlying sentiment.

I don't know. Clearly seems like a joke and not a mean-spirited swipe. If someone complaining about raging ATVs on Cumberland [Kat, for example] commented, "Fishtown, where ATV is king," would you feel as if it was an indictment of the whole community?

HEY LEAVE ME OUTTA THIS

dmandy's picture

Kat wrote:

HEY LEAVE ME OUTTA THIS

I stuck up for you Kat.

Kat's picture

dmandy wrote:
Kat wrote:

HEY LEAVE ME OUTTA THIS

I stuck up for you Kat.

Sorry should have used the sarcasm font. I was just kidding. Sigh.

dmandy's picture

Kat wrote:
dmandy wrote:
Kat wrote:

HEY LEAVE ME OUTTA THIS

I stuck up for you Kat.

Sorry should have used the sarcasm font. I was just kidding. Sigh.

I wasn't being sarcastic but i was trying to be funny. Guess this is a good example of how hard it can be to get intention across.

Newcomer's picture

Kat wrote:
Newcomer wrote:
dmandy wrote:
Newcomer wrote:
Coder wrote:
dmandy wrote:
Lauraska wrote:
Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!

Happy Friday, y'all!

**An unfortunately necessary disclaimer - this post is meant to be a humorous tale about life in Kenzo. It is NOT a statement about all who live here.**

When I started to read this post I thought it was just another report of something happening in the neighborhood. Until I came to the ending. I've been trying to come up with the right word and i think I have , it is disparaging. Why, Laura, do you feel it necessary to disparage the very large commuity of Kensington because of the actions of a few? This isn't the first time you have done it as evidenced by your disclamer. You do it on a regular basis. There are many, many good people in Kensington who get up and go to work, take care of their homes and their families. Good people who do what they can to keep this area together. And this isn't a new people vs old people, white people vs everyone else. You insult everyone who is a good neighbor when you make comments like, " Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!" Just saying that something is a humorous tale about life in Kenzo doesn't make it so.

Apparently, Ken Milano agrees with you.

Why the indignation? The story involved a select few classy individuals and not the community at large.

"Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!"

Up until this quote I agree with you, newcomer. and then Laura had to go there as she does so many times. By saying, "Ah Kensington", she included the whole community. Often, Laura will start out with a good point and almost as if she can't help herself, she makes a dig at the whole community. There was no reason to include that last remark but she does it all the time. Saying something is funny doesn't change the underlying sentiment.

I don't know. Clearly seems like a joke and not a mean-spirited swipe. If someone complaining about raging ATVs on Cumberland [Kat, for example] commented, "Fishtown, where ATV is king," would you feel as if it was an indictment of the whole community?

HEY LEAVE ME OUTTA THIS

Um, you kind of started it.

Lauraska's picture

dmandy wrote:
Guess this is a good example of how hard it can be to get intention across.

Oh the irony...

th's picture

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

Lauraska's picture

th wrote:

Last word.

dmandy's picture

Lauraska wrote:
dmandy wrote:
Guess this is a good example of how hard it can be to get intention across.

Oh the irony...

Laura, you just don't know when to leave things alone. There is a difference between what I did and what you do on a regular basis. You make a habit of insulting the neighborhood you have chosen to live in and then having to back peddle when someone calls you on it. You make a habit of taking the actions of a few to judge the larger community. You have made it clear in many posts that you do look down on many of the long time residents who you come in contact with .

Lauraska's picture

dmandy wrote:
Lauraska wrote:
dmandy wrote:
Guess this is a good example of how hard it can be to get intention across.

Oh the irony...

Laura, you just don't know when to leave things alone. There is a difference between what I did and what you do on a regular basis. You make a habit of insulting the neighborhood you have chosen to live in and then having to back peddle when someone calls you on it. You make a habit of taking the actions of a few to judge the larger community. You have made it clear in many posts that you do look down on many of the long time residents who you come in contact with .

Dmandy, sometimes you just need to accept snark as snark and not read into it so much. The end.

dmandy's picture

Lauraska wrote:
dmandy wrote:
Lauraska wrote:
dmandy wrote:
Guess this is a good example of how hard it can be to get intention across.

Oh the irony...

Laura, you just don't know when to leave things alone. There is a difference between what I did and what you do on a regular basis. You make a habit of insulting the neighborhood you have chosen to live in and then having to back peddle when someone calls you on it. You make a habit of taking the actions of a few to judge the larger community. You have made it clear in many posts that you do look down on many of the long time residents who you come in contact with .

Dmandy, sometimes you just need to accept snark as snark and not read into it so much. The end.

Saids who? You're not my mother!

Lauraska's picture

No I am not, and you are not mine. So we can both stop lecturing each other, right?

th's picture

No, I get the last word.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

th's picture

th wrote:
No, I get the last word.

No. I do.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

th's picture

th wrote:
th wrote:
No, I get the last word.

No. I do.

No. I do.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

Lauraska's picture

th wrote:
No, I get the last word.

No. ;)

th's picture

th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
No, I get the last word.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

th's picture

th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
No, I get the last word.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

th's picture

th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
No, I get the last word.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

th's picture

th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
No, I get the last word.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

th's picture

th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
No, I get the last word.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

th's picture

th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
No, I get the last word.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

th's picture

th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
No, I get the last word.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

Lauraska's picture
george's picture

dmandy's picture

th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
th wrote:
No, I get the last word.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

No. I do.

NO, I DO so put that in your hooka and puff it.

Leo's picture

First!

Mulvihill & Rushie LLC
The Fishtown Lawyers
Criminal Defense • Civil Trials
www.FishtownLaw.com
215.385.5291

Kat's picture

Newcomer wrote:
Kat wrote:
Newcomer wrote:
dmandy wrote:
Newcomer wrote:
Coder wrote:
dmandy wrote:
Lauraska wrote:
Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!

Happy Friday, y'all!

**An unfortunately necessary disclaimer - this post is meant to be a humorous tale about life in Kenzo. It is NOT a statement about all who live here.**

When I started to read this post I thought it was just another report of something happening in the neighborhood. Until I came to the ending. I've been trying to come up with the right word and i think I have , it is disparaging. Why, Laura, do you feel it necessary to disparage the very large commuity of Kensington because of the actions of a few? This isn't the first time you have done it as evidenced by your disclamer. You do it on a regular basis. There are many, many good people in Kensington who get up and go to work, take care of their homes and their families. Good people who do what they can to keep this area together. And this isn't a new people vs old people, white people vs everyone else. You insult everyone who is a good neighbor when you make comments like, " Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!" Just saying that something is a humorous tale about life in Kenzo doesn't make it so.

Apparently, Ken Milano agrees with you.

Why the indignation? The story involved a select few classy individuals and not the community at large.

"Ah Kensington...where malt liquor is king!"

Up until this quote I agree with you, newcomer. and then Laura had to go there as she does so many times. By saying, "Ah Kensington", she included the whole community. Often, Laura will start out with a good point and almost as if she can't help herself, she makes a dig at the whole community. There was no reason to include that last remark but she does it all the time. Saying something is funny doesn't change the underlying sentiment.

I don't know. Clearly seems like a joke and not a mean-spirited swipe. If someone complaining about raging ATVs on Cumberland [Kat, for example] commented, "Fishtown, where ATV is king," would you feel as if it was an indictment of the whole community?

HEY LEAVE ME OUTTA THIS

Um, you kind of started it.

No, you did.