Favorite Albums of 2011

I didn't put together a list for wxpn this year, but I could always use new music suggestions for work. i think my favorite this year was Hayes Carll "KMAG YOYO".

newfish's picture

Currently digging Bronze Radio Return - Shake! Shake! Shake!
Beirut - The Rip Tide gets my favorite of the year.

here's my top 6 that i put together for phawker:

Tom Waits – Bad as Me
Hayes Carll – KMAGYOYO
Gillian Welch – The Harrow and the Harvest
Laura Marling – A Creature I Don't Know
The War on Drugs – Slave Ambient
Basement Jaxx vs. Metropole Orkest

I am lame and couldn't name more than two albums that came out this year.

1) Lady Gaga - Born this Way
2) Burzum - Fallen

Did I miss a lot?

Er, three.

3) Burzum - From the Depths of Darkness.

Lame.

just watched a documentary partially about burzum. i found him to be the most interesting of the bands, his politics are tough to stomach.

"Menudo: The Blue Note Years"

His politics are completely insane, and he's got some real big mental issues himself, but dang he makes some good music - if you're into the whole black metal thing.

Leo wrote:

his ambient stuff from when he was in prison is more my style, but i find his type of black metal more appealing than the other things i took away from the documentary.

ronchito's picture

Creeping Weeds' latest album was a particular favorite of mine this year. :-) My favorite unbiased album was Kate Bush's 50 Words for Snow. Some folks say it's monotonous coffee house piano muzak, but I think it's totally creepy/bizarre/arty/brilliant -- almost more like a tone poem than an album. I am old.

Ah, fourth - but sorta not really an album from 2011, but more like 1967:

4) Beach Boys' SMiLE Sessions. Absolutely brilliant.

"Madness and Blindness and Astonishment of the Heart" by Terry Scott Taylor

Overall a disappointing year in music. I'm not sure a single album came out this year that would even be worth mentioning in a positive light.

holding out for the journey reunion double live album?

newfish wrote:
Beirut - The Rip Tide gets my favorite of the year.

The show at the Electric Factory was really quite good, probably the best I saw in 2011.

holding out for the journey reunion double live album?

Like I don't already own that.

holding out for the journey reunion double live album?

Like I don't already own that.

you missed "vh1 classics" at o'reilly's the other night. it was a fun filled trip into the the 90s, immediately followed by "pop up videos". it was like middle school all over again.

holding out for the journey reunion double live album?

I only missed it because you didn't tell me you were going.

Like I don't already own that.

Are you referring to my jukebox selections?

Are you referring to my jukebox selections?

nope, wasn't there for that.

Are you referring to my jukebox selections?

she was very kind and put on the only peter gabriel song i can stomach. she must have been in the christmas spirit.

Are you referring to my jukebox selections?

nope, wasn't there for that.

Oh...nevermind then...they were wonderful...(I thought sdm said it, that's how much I'm paying attention.)

Johnny R's picture

Big Harp – White hat
Rural Alberta Advantage – Departing
Tim Kasher – Bigamy

1. Battles - Gloss Drop
2. Zoos of Berlin - Pallister Chant
That's all I got. Everything else I like is old. The Battles record is not the most approachable record, but I'm happy to report that even after seeing them like five times as a four-piece, they completely shattered my brain live as a three-piece with video vocal sampling. The Zoos album is an EP, and it's another great example of this criminally under appreciated band. Two dudes singing in harmony for ten years will eventually get way too good at it.

Love is a Mattlefield.

sandi

Electric Mammoth - self titled debut

Sorry, shameless husband promotion!

"If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, the excitement, and the mystery of the world we live in." --Rachel Carlson

PJ Harvey, Let England Shake
Kurt Vile, Smoke Ring For My Halo
Roots, Undun
Das Racist, Relax
Black Keys, El Camino
Tuneyards, Who Kill
We Are Augustines, Rise Ye Sunken Ships
TV on the Radio, Nine Types of Light
My Morning Jacket, Circuital
Bon Iver, Bon Iver
Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi, Rome

Surprising to see this rocket up the charts in 2011 (must have been the digital remaster):

Blue Sky Black Death - Noir

I though this was a 2010 album I just didn't get until 2011.

Blue Sky Black Death - Noir

I though this was a 2010 album I just didn't get until 2011.

sounds uplifting.

Wild flag

FishtownYo's picture

Kayne West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

I like the MP3 version only, and know it came out and end of 2010. I also nominate it as the worst sounding/packaged vinyl record of 2011. Who ever mixed the vinyl version should have their music credentials taken away along with person who decided not to have lyrics included and censor the artwork

What is so bad about religion is that it fosters a primitive form of morality that hinders progress in virtually any domain beneficial to our modern world.

meredith wrote:

Blue Sky Black Death - Noir

I though this was a 2010 album I just didn't get until 2011.

sounds uplifting.

It is to me.

brooke's picture

Newcomer, why don't you burn those for me when you come over next time to bring me into modern times? Wow...I missed a lot in music this year, I guess. I think I bought two pieces of music in the past year: the Adele CD and the awolnation single. Before this whole pregnancy/moving/putting my new office on the 3rd floor/kid thing, I bought about 2 albums a month. Thank goodness for XM at least in my car.

Former attorney and current CITYSPACE real estate agent extraordinaire

brooke wrote:

You got it. Hey! Could you burn the Adele CD for me? [Kidding.]

I do not get the Kurt Vile thing. And I really dislike the way the local music community has treated him like the second coming.

But otherwise, solid list there newcomer.

But otherwise, solid list there newcomer.

Save your negative comments for the yet-to-be-created "Popular music I don't get" thread;" I stand by Vile.

And posit that you're just mad that I discounted your "almost" getting hit by a car.

i think my favorite this year was Hayes Carll "KMAG YOYO".

Did you catch him on Sunday's Mountain Stage? And nice Tom Waits interview on Fresh Air yesterday.

Newcomer wrote:
i think my favorite this year was Hayes Carll "KMAG YOYO".

yeah! i saw him at xpn fest, too. i was actually trying to get my dad that album for christmas, but best buy didn't have it. i got him the civil wars instead. in the end he heard hayes on mountain stage and was like "well maybe it's a good thing you couldn't find this album." my dad is quickly becoming that old guy that swears no good music has been recorded in the last 40 years.

Big Rog's picture

My son keeps playing this band called Munson and Sons or something. It's terrible. Every time he starts listening to it, I just drown it out with The Hooters or Bob Seger or something less terrible than Munson and Sons. They played on TV once and he made me watch it. I don't know who said it was a good idea to dress like some kind of homeless guy from prohibition, but they look even dumber then they sound. It's called an electric guitars, guys. Start wailing or else you'll just end up cuddling with the backstage betties instead of hitting the home runs with the big dogs.

twitter.com/bigbigrogrog

Active Child -- You Are All I See
Alabama Shakes

phillybama's picture

I love Mumford and Sons.
I am digging Alabama Shakes too.

My favorite for 2011 is definitely The Kind is Dead by the Decemberists. Amazing.

I love Alabama Shakes. I like the new Drive-By Truckers too. Go-Go Boots. Lots of good stuff came out this year.

don't know how i missed the new primus album until now. first album in 12 years, green naugahyde!

it is AWESOME.

Susquehanna's picture

gusgus — Arabian Horse. their best album in 10 years.

CrustyZombie's picture

I'm still digging Wiz Khalifa's Rolling Papers.

CrustyZombie's picture

also, I guess it's not really an album as it's a mixtape, but that's his thing, but Meek Mill's Dream Chasers was pretty good. and he's a local cat.

KingDingAling's picture

Bad Meets Evil - Hell: The Sequel.

When the king speaks, fishtown.us would be wise to listen.