Is fishtown a LGBT friendly neighborhood?

How LGBT friendly is Fishtown?
Is there any LGBT connections/organizations in Fishtown?

Yes, though I don't know of any official organizations.

I'm not LGBT, but if you want to start one, I'm game.

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

I would say it is very LGBT friendly, since there are rainbow flags, and even the less popular "leather pride" flag sailing on my block without a snicker. Okay, maybe a chuckle.
I don't know about an organization, though.

Love is a Mattlefield.

matinee1dol's picture

I think its very lgbt friendly.

fishtownfilly's picture

Atonement Lutheran Church on Montgomery ave. is very lgbt friendly.

Keep Smiling Beautiful Ones, the World Needs Your Light.

HAZMAT's picture

ALWAYS HAS BEEN NECESSARY EVIL , HUSBANDS NEED SOME PLACE TO GO THAT ONE WEEK OF THE MONTH.
I THINK THEY HAVE AN UN WRITIN CONTRACT...NO JERRY SPRINGER INVITES
may I add when people start worrieng what your doing behind closed does
INVITE THEM IN HAHAHAHAHA ...

To be ones self and unafraid, right or wrong, is more admirable than the easy cowardice of surrender to conformaty. Irving Wallace.

Coder's picture

I would say yes, just because it appears that every man I know is gay.

"No no! You don't ask me questions! You are a rabbit! I am a human!"

Asiagocheese's picture

Yes, I actually want to start a non profit LGBT org in Fishtown. I just dont dont where or how to start. Some friend of mine had recently experienced a very unpleasant experience. Just throwing some ideas to make a difference.

"We are all equals."

Asiagocheese wrote:

"We are all equals."

Depends on how formal you want to go. If you just want to get a group of people together every few weeks to discuss LGBT stuff that's one thing.

If you want to get a group together in order to raise funds, throw LGBT events, etc., you would need to find a group of individuals, selected a Board of Directors, raise capital, form an LLC, etc. We recently did that with RWCW (River Wards Crime Watch).

Either way I'm game.

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

Asiagocheese wrote:

"We are all equals."

PM me. I'd be happy to provide a meeting place in our warehouse.

simmer's picture

Please keep me, as well as others, informed. I would be more than happy to help and volunteer any way I could.

Ftownzzz's picture

this would be awesome please keep us posted if a meet up gets planned.

brooke's picture

HAZMAT wrote:
I THINK THEY HAVE AN UN WRITIN CONTRACT...NO JERRY SPRINGER INVITES
may I add when people start worrieng what your doing behind closed does
INVITE THEM IN HAHAHAHAHA ...

What does this mean?

Former attorney and current CITYSPACE real estate agent extraordinaire

HAZMAT's picture

brooke wrote:
HAZMAT wrote:
I THINK THEY HAVE AN UN WRITIN CONTRACT...NO JERRY SPRINGER INVITES
may I add when people start worrieng what your doing behind closed does
INVITE THEM IN HAHAHAHAHA ...

have fun stay young and dont take things so sereusley!

What does this mean?

brooke wrote:
HAZMAT wrote:
I THINK THEY HAVE AN UN WRITIN CONTRACT...NO JERRY SPRINGER INVITES
may I add when people start worrieng what your doing behind closed does
INVITE THEM IN HAHAHAHAHA ...

What does this mean?

We don't know. Sometimes HAZAMAT just goes off someplace we can't follow. We just have to trust that he'll come back to us.

Coder's picture

Capitalization fever.

"No no! You don't ask me questions! You are a rabbit! I am a human!"

It was my interpretation that he was suggesting that most married (or otherwise in a committed relationship) men spend one quarter of their time (ie. when their female partners are experiencing the end of their menstrual cycles) engaging in homosexual activity. This isn't an explicitly agreed to accommodation by their female partners, though it is tacitly endorsed because so long as it isn't made explicit/public the arrangement is mutually beneficial.

HAZMAT's picture

ughhh don't misconstrued my horrible humor as anti lgbt believe me if you really know me I'm very far from that ! in any way once so ever , I do firmly.believe how people live there lives is absolutely there choice and if you want help in organizing community events , COUNT ME IN...

This is like that website that deciphers Ebonics into English. This is also the first time I've ever heard of such a practice.

HAZMAT's picture

Thanks for decoding that for her !

Stein is correct. That's what happened to me, and then I decided to stay on that side of the road.

Well, most of the time.

It's complicated.

And I'm not saying any more!

HAZMAT's picture

george wrote:

Well, most of the time.
Ooooo K so this is about crossing the street while no one is looking .. sure hope they are careful;)

It's complicated.

And I'm not saying any more!

It's always important to look both ways. Safety first.

HAZMAT's picture

lol

I'm not down with the down-lows.

So are we going to start an LGBT Fishtown thing or not?

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

Jordan wrote:
So are we going to start an LGBT Fishtown thing or not?

Relax.

Lukes's picture

lukes bar is LGBT friendly ....come out on saturday night n show ur PRIDE

stop buy Lukes bar where its nice to be nice !

In my experience, people in the area don't really care about your sexual orientation. They do care if you are a good neighbor. David and I are very open about it and have never had any problems. Our block has three gay couples and two transgendered people. The days when you had to hide and search for gay friendly places to meet are, for the most part, behind us....at least in this area. It's difficult to tell who is gay anyway, with all the hipsters.

Gay: Kensington
Really gay: Fishtown

Totally gay:

To skip the rest and go to the penultimate gay singularity where the laws of gay physics begin to break down:

I used Cher and the soundtrack of West Side Story more than once to blast kids off my front steps when I lived in Fishtown.

I would call that both gay AND friendly.

george wrote:

I would call that both gay AND friendly.

Cher? I would reach for Barry Manilow. It takes a special form of manic-depressive to be a Fanilow. I've done what you've done in the past, but not to get rid of kids.

Put this on your iPod, set to repeat, crank it up and then leave the house for 6 hours.

Something about "reaching" for Barry Manilow just initiated a gag reflex but otherwise agreed.

I just got my parents Barry Manilow tickets for their wedding anniversary.

This thread has become totally inappropriate.

Oh. My.

(didn't the Osmonds originally do that?)

The barry manilow reference reminds of my some of my favorite Crucial Unit lyrics, from the song wall of death the circle of life:

Quote:
riding my bike and i saw such a mess. hundreds of white people in protest. i rode a bit closer to see why they were (redacted). thought they were buying barry manilow tickets. they weren't coming from playing tennis, but they had a picture of a giant fetus. i knew it was time to round up the kids so we could lock arms and (redacted) resist. wall of death the chain of (redacted) life.

the manilow reference kills me everytime i hear the song (even though its next to impossible to make out the lyrics)

Asiagocheese's picture

Well some good news. I spoke to a LGBT rep from center city and she will be glad to help out. It's not just the "safety" aspect but its about spreading LOVE. RESPECT & UNDERSTANDING general. YES, I would like to iniatiate a movement for unity. It's more like LGBT but it can lead to more. -NON PROFIT- Thank you for all the feedbacks :)

george wrote:

Well, most of the time.

It's complicated.

And I'm not saying any more!

George, are you trying to say that...there were others?

Newcomer wrote:
George, are you trying to say that...there were others?

I want to say one thing to the American people. I want you to listen to me. I'm going to say this again: I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky. I never told anybody to lie, not a single time; never. These allegations are false. And I need to go back to work for the American people. Thank you.

I think you need to tell us what the meaning of is, is.

Speaking of which, I will never forgive Bill & Monica, because it was that scandal that got the Drudge Report off its feet.

Matt Drudge. Oy. Talk about your self-loathing closet queens. That was about the WORST kept secret in Miami!

george wrote:

This is why I love you George.