Children in Center City

Anyone work around the Comcast building? Have you noticed a large influx of families' with children roaming around? I've never noticed this many suburban families bringing their kids into the city for holiday stuff in the last couple years. It's a good sign for the city!

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

meredith's picture

and a bad sign for the people just trying to get lunch.

“Try to learn to let what is unfair teach you.” – David Foster Wallace

Susquehanna's picture

word of mouth for their holiday display. i like it. Macy's/Wanamakers, the model train display at the Reading Terminal and it are the only real reasons for families to come into the city.

bozoloper's picture

Susquehanna wrote:
word of mouth for their holiday display. i like it. Macy's/Wanamakers, the model train display at the Reading Terminal and it are the only real reasons for families to come into the city.

my parents always used to bring me down for the nutcracker.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

codergrrl's picture

If I get wheeled by one more suburban mom with a giant tricycle of a stroller, pushing a kid old enough to have their own drivers license, I'm gonna head butt them all the way back to BrynMawr. Yeah, welcome to the city.

"Je Suis Prest"

bozoloper's picture

codergrrl wrote:
If I get wheeled by one more suburban mom with a giant tricycle of a stroller, pushing a kid old enough to have their own drivers license, I'm gonna head butt them all the way back to BrynMawr. Yeah, welcome to the city.

that was meredith's opinion, too. i was trying to put a more positive light on it.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

meredith's picture

bozoloper wrote:
codergrrl wrote:
If I get wheeled by one more suburban mom with a giant tricycle of a stroller, pushing a kid old enough to have their own drivers license, I'm gonna head butt them all the way back to BrynMawr. Yeah, welcome to the city.

that was meredith's opinion, too. i was trying to put a more positive light on it.

i was all right with the strollers. it was the dad walking with his kid while completely engrossed in his cell phone and not paying attention to where he was walking that really got me.

“Try to learn to let what is unfair teach you.” – David Foster Wallace

Susquehanna's picture

bozoloper wrote:
my parents always used to bring me down for the nutcracker.

sorry, i was referring to free events in the city during the holidays.

codergrrl's picture

meredith wrote:
bozoloper wrote:
codergrrl wrote:
If I get wheeled by one more suburban mom with a giant tricycle of a stroller, pushing a kid old enough to have their own drivers license, I'm gonna head butt them all the way back to BrynMawr. Yeah, welcome to the city.

that was meredith's opinion, too. i was trying to put a more positive light on it.

i was all right with the strollers. it was the dad walking with his kid while completely engrossed in his cell phone and not paying attention to where he was walking that really got me.

I hate em.
But a funny aside, the other night, we were in Pez, and I was endlessly amused by a couple who sat at a table and stared at their phones, texting, and reading...I mean really...why go out with anyone, just take your precious little phone and give it a booster seat. Its sooo incredibly rude.

"Je Suis Prest"

Lauraska's picture

codergrrl wrote:
meredith wrote:
bozoloper wrote:
codergrrl wrote:
If I get wheeled by one more suburban mom with a giant tricycle of a stroller, pushing a kid old enough to have their own drivers license, I'm gonna head butt them all the way back to BrynMawr. Yeah, welcome to the city.

that was meredith's opinion, too. i was trying to put a more positive light on it.

i was all right with the strollers. it was the dad walking with his kid while completely engrossed in his cell phone and not paying attention to where he was walking that really got me.

I hate em.
But a funny aside, the other night, we were in Pez, and I was endlessly amused by a couple who sat at a table and stared at their phones, texting, and reading...I mean really...why go out with anyone, just take your precious little phone and give it a booster seat. Its sooo incredibly rude.

I'm confused. Was it just the two of them at the table? If they were both ok with sitting there in silence, how were they being rude?

codergrrl's picture

If I went out to dinner with you, (it could happen :)) and all I did was stare at my phone, would that not be rude? Then it is rude twofold to have each person doing it. I might just be old fashioned, (lol) but I believe in the art of conversation. You may disagree, but that's why they make chocolate AND vanilla.

"Je Suis Prest"

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Lauraska wrote:
codergrrl wrote:
meredith wrote:
bozoloper wrote:
codergrrl wrote:
If I get wheeled by one more suburban mom with a giant tricycle of a stroller, pushing a kid old enough to have their own drivers license, I'm gonna head butt them all the way back to BrynMawr. Yeah, welcome to the city.

that was meredith's opinion, too. i was trying to put a more positive light on it.

i was all right with the strollers. it was the dad walking with his kid while completely engrossed in his cell phone and not paying attention to where he was walking that really got me.

I hate em.
But a funny aside, the other night, we were in Pez, and I was endlessly amused by a couple who sat at a table and stared at their phones, texting, and reading...I mean really...why go out with anyone, just take your precious little phone and give it a booster seat. Its sooo incredibly rude.

I'm confused. Was it just the two of them at the table? If they were both ok with sitting there in silence, how were they being rude?

Probably because like I was raised, Mom told us if there was anyone sitting at the table with you, you were not allowed to read. I use to like to read the newspaper while eating breakfast but if someone came out to the table, the paper had to be put down and folded. Mom always said it was rude to ignore the person sitting with you.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

stein's picture

I'm with laura here, if both people are fine with the other being on their phone it's not rude at all. Just because it would be rude if they were out to dinner with you doesn't make it universally rude. Context matters.

Ken Milano (before he went and edited this comment out to avoid the consequences of having wrote it) wrote:
I don’t have much sympathy for renters, for me, they are non citizens

codergrrl's picture

Yes, I just thought it was common manners.

"Je Suis Prest"

Newcomer's picture

codergrrl wrote:
If I went out to dinner with you, (it could happen :)) and all I did was stare at my phone, would that not be rude? Then it is rude twofold to have each person doing it. .

I believe rudeness is canceled out when both parties are equally absorbed in their respective phones.

codergrrl's picture

I just don't understand it.

"Je Suis Prest"

stein's picture

Not necessarily, its up to the party members to decide whether it's acceptable or not. It could very well be that you were witnessing a failing relationship at that table and both people consider it rude for someone else to ignore them while out to dinner and are doing it on purpose as an act of passive aggressiveness. it could be that one of the two doesn't find it rude and the other does and is trying to prove it by engaging in the same behavior. Or they both could be fine with it.

But it's not up to any of us to decide what's rude for other people. It's their dinner

Ken Milano (before he went and edited this comment out to avoid the consequences of having wrote it) wrote:
I don’t have much sympathy for renters, for me, they are non citizens

bozoloper's picture

but it's really more fun when we decide for them.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

codergrrl's picture

Don't worry Stein, it wasn't you!

"Je Suis Prest"

stein's picture

Of course it wasn't. That isn't the point

Ken Milano (before he went and edited this comment out to avoid the consequences of having wrote it) wrote:
I don’t have much sympathy for renters, for me, they are non citizens

dan

bozoloper wrote:
but it's really more fun when we decide for them.

good idea

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

codergrrl's picture

stein wrote:
Of course it wasn't.

Because I am sure you are a mannered gentleman.
I know it doesn't matter, I just find it very odd, to be around humans, and still defer to electronics.

"Je Suis Prest"

bozoloper's picture

codergrrl wrote:
stein wrote:
Of course it wasn't.

Because I am sure you are a mannered gentleman.
I know it doesn't matter, I just find it very odd, to be around humans, and still defer to electronics.

it's only going to get weirder.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

stein's picture

You do realize that there are human beings on the other side (figuratively) of those electronics, right?

Ken Milano (before he went and edited this comment out to avoid the consequences of having wrote it) wrote:
I don’t have much sympathy for renters, for me, they are non citizens

bozoloper's picture

stein wrote:
You do realize that there are human beings on the other side (figuratively) of those electronics, right?

potentially, but what if they're just playing mah jong against the computer?

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

dan

bozoloper wrote:
stein wrote:
You do realize that there are human beings on the other side (figuratively) of those electronics, right?

potentially, but what if they're just playing mah jong against the computer?

We have a cat who is obsessed with doing this.
He's not very good, but it endlessly fascinates him.

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

codergrrl's picture

stein wrote:
You do realize that there are human beings on the other side (figuratively) of those electronics, right?

Oh my god...really? I gotta get with it.

"Je Suis Prest"

bozoloper's picture

actually for that matter, what if they were playing words with friends against each other while texting back and forth about how lame everyone else in the bar is? maybe they were actually saving your from their rudeness.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

jbette01's picture

Newcomer wrote:
codergrrl wrote:
If I went out to dinner with you, (it could happen :)) and all I did was stare at my phone, would that not be rude? Then it is rude twofold to have each person doing it. .

I believe rudeness is canceled out when both parties are equally absorbed in their respective phones.

So I am guilty of this. We sit down at a restaurant, order beers, discuss them, try the other person's beer, and then check into them on the untappd app so we can log what we drink.

To clarify, I have never, ever tried to pretend that I was cool.

george's picture

I had dinner with my mom last week in Florida at a very nice place. It wasn't ruined by cellphones or babies, but by Bill Parcells being seated at the next table.

You don't want to watch Bill Parcells eating. Trust me.