Children in Center City

Anyone work around the Comcast building? Have you noticed a large influx of families' with children roaming around? I've never noticed this many suburban families bringing their kids into the city for holiday stuff in the last couple years. It's a good sign for the city!

and a bad sign for the people just trying to get lunch.

Susquehanna's picture

word of mouth for their holiday display. i like it. Macy's/Wanamakers, the model train display at the Reading Terminal and it are the only real reasons for families to come into the city.

Susquehanna wrote:

my parents always used to bring me down for the nutcracker.

If I get wheeled by one more suburban mom with a giant tricycle of a stroller, pushing a kid old enough to have their own drivers license, I'm gonna head butt them all the way back to BrynMawr. Yeah, welcome to the city.

that was meredith's opinion, too. i was trying to put a more positive light on it.

i was all right with the strollers. it was the dad walking with his kid while completely engrossed in his cell phone and not paying attention to where he was walking that really got me.

Susquehanna's picture

my parents always used to bring me down for the nutcracker.

sorry, i was referring to free events in the city during the holidays.

meredith wrote:

I hate em.
But a funny aside, the other night, we were in Pez, and I was endlessly amused by a couple who sat at a table and stared at their phones, texting, and reading...I mean really...why go out with anyone, just take your precious little phone and give it a booster seat. Its sooo incredibly rude.

meredith wrote:

I hate em.

I'm confused. Was it just the two of them at the table? If they were both ok with sitting there in silence, how were they being rude?

If I went out to dinner with you, (it could happen :)) and all I did was stare at my phone, would that not be rude? Then it is rude twofold to have each person doing it. I might just be old fashioned, (lol) but I believe in the art of conversation. You may disagree, but that's why they make chocolate AND vanilla.

Lauraska wrote:
meredith wrote:

I hate em.

Probably because like I was raised, Mom told us if there was anyone sitting at the table with you, you were not allowed to read. I use to like to read the newspaper while eating breakfast but if someone came out to the table, the paper had to be put down and folded. Mom always said it was rude to ignore the person sitting with you.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

I'm with laura here, if both people are fine with the other being on their phone it's not rude at all. Just because it would be rude if they were out to dinner with you doesn't make it universally rude. Context matters.

Yes, I just thought it was common manners.

If I went out to dinner with you, (it could happen :)) and all I did was stare at my phone, would that not be rude? Then it is rude twofold to have each person doing it. .

I believe rudeness is canceled out when both parties are equally absorbed in their respective phones.

I just don't understand it.

Not necessarily, its up to the party members to decide whether it's acceptable or not. It could very well be that you were witnessing a failing relationship at that table and both people consider it rude for someone else to ignore them while out to dinner and are doing it on purpose as an act of passive aggressiveness. it could be that one of the two doesn't find it rude and the other does and is trying to prove it by engaging in the same behavior. Or they both could be fine with it.

But it's not up to any of us to decide what's rude for other people. It's their dinner

but it's really more fun when we decide for them.

Don't worry Stein, it wasn't you!

Of course it wasn't. That isn't the point

but it's really more fun when we decide for them.

good idea

Of course it wasn't.

Because I am sure you are a mannered gentleman.
I know it doesn't matter, I just find it very odd, to be around humans, and still defer to electronics.

Of course it wasn't.

Because I am sure you are a mannered gentleman.

it's only going to get weirder.

You do realize that there are human beings on the other side (figuratively) of those electronics, right?

potentially, but what if they're just playing mah jong against the computer?

potentially, but what if they're just playing mah jong against the computer?

We have a cat who is obsessed with doing this.
He's not very good, but it endlessly fascinates him.

Oh my god...really? I gotta get with it.

actually for that matter, what if they were playing words with friends against each other while texting back and forth about how lame everyone else in the bar is? maybe they were actually saving your from their rudeness.

Newcomer wrote:

So I am guilty of this. We sit down at a restaurant, order beers, discuss them, try the other person's beer, and then check into them on the untappd app so we can log what we drink.

To clarify, I have never, ever tried to pretend that I was cool.

I had dinner with my mom last week in Florida at a very nice place. It wasn't ruined by cellphones or babies, but by Bill Parcells being seated at the next table.

You don't want to watch Bill Parcells eating. Trust me.