Mummers

anyone going this year?

I haven't been since the fancies pussied out and decided to put on a Broadway show at the Convention Center. The only reason to go is for the string bands, and then you have to be strategic in figuring out where they're actually gonna play. The wenches are just drunks on parade.
If you want to really have fun, just end up down on Two Street.

If you want to really have fun, just end up down on Two Street.

did that for the first time last year, it was a little overwhelming but we had fun. i'm off on monday, so it might be more enjoyable without the threat of work the next day.

radduff2535's picture

String Bands perform at Shunk, Wolf(Hospital), Washington, Pine, Sansom(Union League), & for the judges and TV at JFK Blvd. between 15th & 16th...they also usually play outside Engine 1 right near Bainbridge. Tickets for the stands are on sale at the welcome center in Love Park. The weather looks good, so I think it will be a good time.

TLP's picture

Confession: I've never been.

How crowded is it usually around Sansom and Pine? Is Washington easier to find a place to watch?

TLP wrote:
Confession: I've never been.

farther south is definitely more roomy, it wasn't all that crowded last year.

I used to live a block away from Broad.

Sansom is bad. Too narrow. Chestnut is better since it's far enough away from most of the hotels except the Ritz and the kids living in the Arts apartments move to their friends apartments and watch it from above; so East side on Chestnut was always easy. Most people try to bunch up at Walnut & Broad.

Lombard-South is also roomier to watch it from the west side of Broad, but some years that was a problem spot with cops wanting to stage there.

Sansom-Pine is the absolute worst... you'll never get close enough to see anything unless you're over 6' tall, unless by chance the weather is freakishly cold and people would rather sit in a bar and watch it on TV.

I remember years ago we had some freakish 70F weather for Mummers one year and I woke up from a hangover and sure enough the line standing outside McGillians wrapped around Drury St. and went up 13th. That year even though I was just feet away from the parade I just sat in a bar (I think Dirty Franks or it was Locust St) and watched it on TV instead of dealing with the mad house. I won't go unless it's below 30F. Bone chillin' cold == less freaks.

CrustyZombie's picture

my friend recently moved into an apartment on Broad at inson so I'll probably check it all out from there. but mostly I'm saving up my energy for the Winter Classic the next day.

Big Rog's picture

I usually just find Froggy Carr and drink all their beers for free all day. There's so many of them. Just say you know Shawn. Works for me.

twitter.com/bigbigrogrog

Big Rog wrote:

ROFL hahahha

decided to put on a Broadway show at the Convention Center.

Was that really their decision?
I thought that was forced on them by "the powers that be" who wanted the parade shorter.

The Duffy String Band goes through their whole routine outside their clubhouse at Cedar and Dauphin before heading to the parade, so we might take the kid to go watch that instead of trying to trek down to the actual parade.

I'm going to worship in the AM, and then I think I'm going back to bed.

decided to put on a Broadway show at the Convention Center.

Was that really their decision?

Yes, I believe it was their decision. They were afraid to walk up Broad Street in anything except 60 degree clear skies because their costumes cost too much.
That is what I have been led to believe, but if I am wrong, feel free to correct me.

Lauraska wrote:

Oh cool! When is that?

Also, a friend told me that if you climb up underneath the bleachers at city hall, you can make friends with drunk people for an hour or so during the parade until it gets too cold/long/boring.

Ok, I know this is mummers anathema and I will immediately be sent to be burned at the stake, but I actually like watching the performances in the convention center. The theatrics and costumes really are vegas/broadway caliber for most groups, and everything is loud and bright there. TV doesnt really give you an idea of the scale, dancing and all the things happening at once. Also I think the conv center setup is a way to make money, so I like the fact that I can throw some bones at the orgs to keep them around.

I'm going to worship in the AM, and then I think I'm going back to bed.

At the Altar of the Mummers?

"If the decision to break-away and form their own Division was viewed as courageous, what came next seemed downright crazy. In 1997 the Brigades voted to move their show indoors to the Pennsylvania Convention Center for a "finale" after the Broad Street Parade. The indoor show would be the "judged" event. Despite many who said it could not be done, the 1998 Parade was viewed as a complete success."

From their website.

decided to put on a Broadway show at the Convention Center.

Was that really their decision?

Nah. Mine's based on fuzzy vague memory also. Let's call it a tie until future data is available.

Newcomer wrote:
I'm going to worship in the AM, and then I think I'm going back to bed.

At the Altar of the Mummers?

You haven't really sung "Amazing Grace" until you've sung it to a string band.

A bagpipe is the only instrument that should be allowed to play that song.

From their website.

I thought they originally did both - marched in the parade and then went indoors for the show.
But, once again, fuzzy memories.

See above...they said it themselves.

See above...they said it themselves.

Yeah, see above my reply to your "see above".
this is the alternate definition of cross-posting.

tracey mccandless's picture

The costs of the costumes range into the thousands and tens of thousands each. The wind, rain and other elements were destroying them. So to preserve the integrity of the costumes for future generations they moved the fancies inside. Even the stringband clubs spend between 30k to 90k for each brigade.

Tracey McCandless

I'm well aware of the costs. They've been doing it for like 110 years. It costs money then too, and it rained and snowed then too...like I said...before they pussied out.

tracey mccandless's picture

I like the fact that they moved indoors. People with wheelchairs and the elderly can sit and watch it inside, instead of battling the elements. I understand what your saying and will probably be debated for many more years, but it did benefit a great big segment of Philadelphia folks

Tracey McCandless

Yeah, they always had the "Show of Shows" for that anyway. Now they just killed two birds with one stone.
They were just really cool, and looked great under the lights at night...but I'm not paying to go see them.
I will admit, they have a pretty neat thing where you can go to the convention center, and play with the costumes and face paint, etc. before the parade.

radduff2535's picture

The closer to city hall the more crowded and cold. I would recommend south philly at Shunk or Methodist. If not you'll be fighting crowds to see anything, so you might want to purchase tickets for stands. The first band starts at 10am at Shunk and by 1pm you'll probably see all the bands. Duffy is the first band too, so get out early to show some support!

I like Big Rog's idea of just finding Froggy Carr and drinking their beer non-stop until the whole thing is over.

And yeah I know Shawn. Who doesn't?

Susquehanna's picture

FYI for anyone wishing to grandstand it at city hall: dilworth closure forced the dept of rec to move the judging to JFK at love park.

I used to watch it from Methodist from the 70s–90s. I remember that 70° year, Kenso. Friggin tee shirt and shorts.

FishtownYo's picture

Every year we go to Sansom, that made Ludwig's the go to spot for beers after we run out and bathroom. Now that Time replaced Ludwig's it lost some of the fun, but still a great party spot. Definitely not a kid zone.

What is so bad about religion is that it fosters a primitive form of morality that hinders progress in virtually any domain beneficial to our modern world.

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses's picture

I'm in it this year. I'm in an independent brigade.

Ugh.

marymargaret's picture

i saw this posted in the a new forum in one the recent ones. the address and phone number are listed.

mary margaret

nhb's picture

decided to put on a Broadway show at the Convention Center.

Was that really their decision?

There were many reasons why, but I am more than sure the $$ they make inside is helpful. All Mummers want clear skies and 50 degree weather with no winds! It's brutal out there some years .