If two people go to a restaurant together, then are on their phones (not interacting), are they being rude?

45% (19 votes)
55% (23 votes)
Total votes: 42

Comments

"It depends on context" is not an option, because the whole point is to decide for them.

rude to each other? no. but they're being rude to everyone else by not adding to the vivacious bar atmosphere. it takes teamwork.

Good point. I will rephrase. Those who wish may feel free to cancel their vote and change it.

Maybe I'm the rude one, because I force people to talk to me?

I say no. Social mores change. I used to be really annoyed if the person I was eating with answered their cell, now I'm willing to give them a grace period. I do think people talking or texting in meetings is rude. I'm on the fence about tweeting in meetings.

If both people are doing it pretty much equally then it's weird, but not rude. However if one person is habitually texting, or even worse talking, then it is pretty rude. I walked out on a date around this time last year because of such behavior.

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses's picture

my husband and I sometimes go out to eat for convenience sake and will use our smart phones. . . it's no one's business but ours if we do that (we don't call people, but will text or look up information)

zimmiezelda's picture

I agree with that. Who cares what other people are doing in the bar / restaurant, if they're not with you. Now, if it were Valentine's Day or something special and he started texting, he'd definitely get a kick under the table.

Big Rog's picture

I think it's more rude to make fun of other people for having their phone out.
My family got me a cell phone for my birthday and Christmas and an earpiece that I think was free because that part was from my daughter who is thoughtless.
I wasn't even talking on it. I just had the ear thing in and some kids were heckling me at McDonald's. Since when do you make fun of people for the things they have? You're supposed to make fun of people for the things they don't have. They were probably trying to psyche me out so they can take it from me. Yeah right. Get a life, pal. This thing is great. Every time I see somebody I don't want to talk to, I just pretend I'm on the phone. Pretty much what I'm trying to say is that even though my daughter is thoughtless and cheap, the best gift was from her.

meh, not that long ago you had to either be at work or home to get a call and that was just fine by me. I still think it's strange when I go to a public place and everyone is either on their phone or computer and nobody is talking or taking notice of those around them. I'm not sure if it's rude or anti-social but I can say I don't want to join the club.

2014 york wrote:

While you post this from an iPad...

I say as long as all members of the party are cool with it, it's fine. I was out at a diner with my husband last night and someone nearby us commented to her husband about the fact that we were on our phones. She then launched into a story about a couple she knew who got divorced because they never talked. I was cracking up because a) she had the nerve to comment on the stability of a total stranger's relationship, b) she neglected to realize that we'd pulled out our phones to look up something we were TALKING about, and c) her husband looked like he'd rather be at our table with a smart phone and silence.

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses's picture

Lauraska wrote:

Yeah, people too often just judge others. I guess it makes them feel better about themselves somehow. I say everyone should mind their own business about people's personal decisions.

If I wanted to 'mind my own business' I wouldn't be on this forum.

If I wanted to 'mind my own business' I wouldn't be on this forum.

My business is really pretty boring, thats why I asked coder to mind it for me. She does a great job, I highly recommend her.

zimmiezelda wrote:

Knowing you, he'd probably get more than a kick.

Big Rog wrote:

This is why bankers don't really worry about the economy.

2014 york wrote:

While you post this from an iPad...

I don't have a smart phone or even one with a camera. I also don't have a portable computer. I've been seriously considering a land line and giving up my cell (gasp). People talk way too much about nothing IMO.

2014 york wrote:

who actually participates in phone calls these days?

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses's picture

who actually participates in phone calls these days?

I still call people and have phone conversations. It started happening after I deleted facebook.

Stock's picture

No phones. I'm out with YOU! Not a text message or that 'Oh so important phone call' (ok mr. president). Leave the phone in the car or put it on silence. If you can't go through dinner without checking something (either a fact or email) then you are insecure. Look people in the eye and actually listen to what they have to say. You'd be amazed at what you hear when you are not preoccupied.

So googling makes someone insecure? This thread is awesome.

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses's picture

Stock wrote:

I wouldn't say insecure insomuch as ADD.

Stock wrote:
Leave the phone in the car or put it on silence.

yes, there are many yahoos in the neighborhood who would love if people left their phones in their car whilest out to dinner.

Quote:

Bizarre statement.

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses wrote:

It makes me feel better. I'm glad someone understands.

I won't even answer my house phone. If I wanted to speak to you, I'd call you.

Are the two people Irish? It may make a difference.