FNA Meet the Neighbors

Friday, June 22, 2012 - 6:00pm to 9:00pm

At the NKCDC Garden center! www.nkcdc.org/land-use/garden-center

RAIN OR SHINE!

We are pleased to announce food donations from Frankford Hall (dogs, pretzels, and other favorites), Interstate Draft House (yummy wings!), Chili Cookoff winners Loco Pez (mmm guacamole, chips and refried beans), Kat's California Famous Salsa, ceviche from EGG Pub, Mediterranean goodies from Johnny Brenda's and a special appearance from Little Baby's Ice Cream!

DJ DNA (David April of Fishtown Beer Runners fame) will be on hand to spin tunes on our favorite summer night. Tim Patton of St. Benjamin's Brewery will be providing us with some of his signature beer, and look out for favorites from our own Philadelphia Brewing Company, courtesy in part by Frost Development Corporation.

Suggested door donation of $10.00 - kids under 12 free admission!

Community Service Awards being presented to: Art Sphere, Inc., Penn Treaty Museum, and the Trustees of Palmer Cemetery.

As for the raffle - we're raffling these things individually:

CrossFit Novem - ramp up & one month membership

Black Vulture Gallery - $50.00 GIFT CERTIFICATE

Group Three: Keeping it Green:
Greensgrow - $50.00 GIFT CARD
Atlantis the Lost Bar - 4 BLOODY MARY VOUCHERS
Compost Coop - YEAR MEMBERSHIP= $50.00

Group Four: Northwest Corner Represent!:
Garrison's Garage - CARE CARE BUCKET & SUPPLIES, AND FREE OIL CHANGE ($35.00 VALUE)
GrooveHound - $20.00 GIFT CERTIFICATE
Soup Kitchen - $25.00 GIFT CERTIFICATE

Group Five: Hipster Represent!
Sketch Burger - $25.00 GIFT CERTIFICATE
Barcade - $25.00 GIFT CERTIFICATE
Yards Brewing Company - CASE O'BEER
Bicycle Stable - $10.00 GIFT CERTIFICATE

Group Six: Back to Basics:
EKTA - $50.00 ONE-TIME GIFT CERTIFICATE
Angler Arts - DROP-IN CLASS CERTIFICATE ($15.00 VALUE)
Barry's Homebrew - $15.00 GIFT CERTIFICATE
Bicycle Stable - $10.00 GIFT CERTIFICATE

Comments

sandi

Yay!

Got it on my calendar! I love this event. I have missed it for the past two years and I don't want to miss it again!

Coder's picture

I've never made this one either.

are nametags required?

are nametags required?

Yes and there's also an awkward prom-style dance, too. #ShadesOfSeniorHigh

Nametags not required, all are welcome to attend.

Coder's picture

are nametags required?

Yes and there's also an awkward prom-style dance, too. #ShadesOfSeniorHigh

I never made that one either.

LST's picture

Where is this?

LST wrote:
Where is this?

Sugarhouse.

JedicusMaximus's picture

LST wrote:
Where is this?

At the corner of Frankford and Berks.

JedicusMaximus wrote:
LST wrote:
Where is this?

At the corner of Frankford and Berks.

[kidding device deactivated] More specifically, NKCDC Garden Center

are nametags required?

Yes and there's also an awkward prom-style dance, too. #ShadesOfSeniorHigh

I was going to stand along a wall and not talk to girls as it is, so this works out perfectly.

Is this a LBGT friendly event? Will there be any disco music?

Maybe it's GLBT unfriendly. (Why does the L have to come first, hmm?)

I can be pretty GLBT unfriendly when I'm in a foul mood.

Maybe it's GLBT unfriendly. (Why does the L have to come first, hmm?)

I can be pretty GLBT unfriendly when I'm in a foul mood.

In the spirit of fairness and equality, it shall be unfriendly to all peoples.

Maybe it's GLBT unfriendly. (Why does the L have to come first, hmm?)

I can be pretty GLBT unfriendly when I'm in a foul mood.

In the spirit of fairness and equality, it shall be unfriendly to all peoples.

That's like just about every event ever organized, anywhere. #ISOtoiletsAndJameson

Just wondering if my leather chaps would be appropriate attire. L is first for obvious reasons....the rest of us fear them.

2014 york wrote:
the rest of us fear them.

I don't. But I will not look at their Facebook or return their phone calls when they're in the middle of relationship issues.

Maybe it's GLBT unfriendly. (Why does the L have to come first, hmm?)

I can be pretty GLBT unfriendly when I'm in a foul mood.

I was the one time I went to Woody's (and I'm part of the tribe). Yuck. Tavern on Camac is cool, though.

As for Meet the Neighbors, now that I'm no longer a neighbor I may just drop by to say hello to everyone that is no longer my neighbor. Well, that and I HAVEN'T SEEN KAT IN FOREVER AND SHE CAN'T AVOID ME FOREVER!!

george wrote:
Maybe it's GLBT unfriendly. (Why does the L have to come first, hmm?)

I can be pretty GLBT unfriendly when I'm in a foul mood.

As for Meet the Neighbors, now that I'm no longer a neighbor I may just drop by to say hello to everyone that is no longer my neighbor. Well, that and I HAVEN'T SEEN KAT IN MILLION YEARS AND SHE CAN'T AVOID ME FOREVER!!

george wrote:
Maybe it's GLBT unfriendly. (Why does the L have to come first, hmm?)

I can be pretty GLBT unfriendly when I'm in a foul mood.

You're waiting to get salsa, aren't you?

The condiment or the music? Yes to both, actually.

(and I won't post this twice for emphasis)

LST's picture

Thanks. I always thought of that as the Berks Street garden place.

george wrote:
Maybe it's GLBT unfriendly. (Why does the L have to come first, hmm?)

I can be pretty GLBT unfriendly when I'm in a foul mood.

I will be there for YOU GEORGE. And you know that I would never avoid you :) And you will forever be a neighbor, no matter where you move to. You are stuck with us.

My friend David plays the piano at Tavern on Camac. He and his husband are awesome. They had one of the most beautiful weddings I have ever been at.

george wrote:
Maybe it's GLBT unfriendly. (Why does the L have to come first, hmm?)

I can be pretty GLBT unfriendly when I'm in a foul mood.

You're waiting to get salsa, aren't you?

Guess I will have to make a vat for the shindig since I can't seem to start a business ;) If I bring a gallon or two can we get in for FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE????

Kat wrote:

I just did a happy dance.

BUMP - I really need some volunteers to help make this event a success!

BUMP again!

We're getting some really awesome donations for our raffle - a year membership to the Compost Coop (a $50.00 value), and a CrossFit Novem on-ramp and month membership - an over $200.00 value!

Plus - tasty treats from lots of area restaurants, St. Benjamin's Brewing (possibly two kegs), PBC and Yards beer as well!

Get excited, Fishtowners!

dmandy's picture

are nametags required?

i think name tags would be nice. I've gone to a few Meet the Neighbors and it seem as if everyone talks to the people they know.

dmandy wrote:
are nametags required?

I'm going as Dan then.

Coder's picture

dmandy wrote:
are nametags required?

I'm going as Dan then.

Wait... you're not Dan?

dmandy's picture

dmandy wrote:
are nametags required?

I'm going as Dan then.

if I'm going to go, I guess i have to come up with a good name.

I won't be attending, so someone can go as me.
-Seymour Butz

Another bump - confirmed DJ DNA David April and Kat's Famous Salsa!

austen wrote:
Another bump - confirmed DJ DNA David April and Kat's Famous Salsa!

Oh Kat's salsa is gonna be there? Considering crashing this now.

Also - frankfurters, potato pancakes, salads and pretzels from Frankford Hall, and wings from Interstate Draft House!

More to come!

Coder's picture

You're doing a hellava job, considering.

Coder wrote:
You're doing a hellava job, considering.

Who, me?

Coder's picture

austen wrote:
Coder wrote:
You're doing a hellava job, considering.

Who, me?

Si.

Coder wrote:
austen wrote:
Coder wrote:
You're doing a hellava job, considering.

Who, me?

Si.

Awww, thanks. Yer making me blush.

I will only go if Memphis/ghettochicken/repolozob goes.

JedicusMaximus's picture

I will only go if Memphis/ghettochicken/repolozob goes.

memphis will be too busy trying to find new pictures for his avatar icon.

Coder's picture

JedicusMaximus wrote:
I will only go if Memphis/ghettochicken/repolozob goes.

memphis will be too busy trying to find new pictures for his avatar icon.

Then they can send CapeMay instead.

I even blocked it out on my home and work calendars - in giant red letters on Thursday June 21 - MAKE SALSA FOR MEET THE NEIGHBORS...that way no one schedules me for anything!

Coder wrote:
JedicusMaximus wrote:
I will only go if Memphis/ghettochicken/repolozob goes.

memphis will be too busy trying to find new pictures for his avatar icon.

Then they can send CapeMay instead.

bring back floppysoles!

Coder wrote:
JedicusMaximus wrote:
I will only go if Memphis/ghettochicken/repolozob goes.

memphis will be too busy trying to find new pictures for his avatar icon.

Then they can send CapeMay instead.

bring back floppysoles!

floppysoles: OGT

Last night, Fritz from Atlantis, the Lost Bar kindly donated four Bloody Mary passes for the raffle.

If you've ever had one of them, you'll know how awesome this is!

More and more to come!

austen wrote:

If you've ever had one of them, you'll know how awesome this is!

More and more to come!

Those bloodys have a prawn in them dont they? They are ridiculous.

austen wrote:

If you've ever had one of them, you'll know how awesome this is!

More and more to come!

Those bloodys have a prawn in them dont they? They are ridiculous.

indeed they do, as well as a salami-and-provolone rollup and a whole salad. they are amazing.

the hipster wrote:
Can we wear costumes?

I don't think you'll need one. But we welcome everyone - trolls and all.

austen wrote:
the hipster wrote:
Can we wear costumes?

I don't think you'll need one. But we welcome everyone - trolls and all.

He can dress up as a person one would actually want to have a conversation with.

More donations - gift certificates from the Lola Bean, Bare Foot Doctor, Angler Arts, Barry's Homebrew, B&D Auto, Adorn Boutique, Groovehound, Sketch Burger, Soup Kitchen, Ekta, and a food donation by EGG!

Neilpuck's picture

austen wrote:

If you've ever had one of them, you'll know how awesome this is!

More and more to come!

Those bloodys have a prawn in them dont they? They are ridiculous.

Or more succinctly, Prawn in that Jawn.

And now with more Loco Pez yumminess - maybe those secret nachos?

Come on out to find out!

Neilpuck's picture

The food and raffle prizes for this jawn are going to be ridiculous. If you've missed this in past years, get your act in gear and come on by. For the 8th straight year, we promise clear, sunny skies.

I am going to be BUMPING the crap out of this over the next week.

Once I get a full listing of raffle prizes, I'll be posting it here.

Please add this to your calendars, and tell your neighbors!

Ftownzzz's picture

is there a facebook invite for this anywhere we can share?

Additions to the raffle:

$50.00 giftcard to Greensgrow
$50.00 giftcard to Black Vulture gallery

Only three more days!

JedicusMaximus's picture

Dang, the raffle list keeps getting awesomer. Are the raffle tickets sold seperately from the $10 suggested donation?

Yes, the raffle tickets are sold separately. $1 each, $10 for an arm's length.

Food donations:

Frankford Hall: Dogs, pretzels, dippy, potato pancakes, salad
Loco Pez: guacamole, chips, refried beans
Interstate Draft House: wings
EGG Pub: ceviche
Johnny Brenda's: Mediterranean platter
AND KAT'S FAMOUS SALSA!!!!!

So - plenty of options for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.

Plus - fruit platters and cookies made by...moi.

this is looking good... may just have to cross the Ave and meet some "Fishtown Proper" folk

I *LOVE* Meet the Neighbors and am saddened I will be out of town for this.
Anybody who's able to go, make sure you do.

Really looking forward to this :)

I'm going for Kat's salsa and staying for the raffle! Come to me, Jacquin's basket...

Update - Little Baby's ice Cream is making another appearance this year with their wonderful wares!

Can only make it for the first hour because of work (what else?) but looking forward to seeing folks and being a Fishtowner again for a night---even if I was a renter and non-citizen.

I, too, shall be wearing elegant chi chi evening wear for both the Captain's Dinner and Reception.

RAFFLE LISTINGS!

We're raffling these things individually:

CrossFit Novem - ramp up & one month membership

Greensgrow - $50.00 GIFT CARD
Atlantis the Lost Bar - 4 BLOODY MARY VOUCHERS
Compost Coop - YEAR MEMBERSHIP= $50.00

Group Four: Northwest Corner Represent!:
GrooveHound - $20.00 GIFT CERTIFICATE
Soup Kitchen - $25.00 GIFT CERTIFICATE

Group Five: Hipster Represent!
Sketch Burger - $25.00 GIFT CERTIFICATE
Barcade - $25.00 GIFT CERTIFICATE
Yards Brewing Company - CASE O'BEER
Bicycle Stable - $10.00 GIFT CERTIFICATE

Group Six: Back to Basics:
EKTA - $50.00 ONE-TIME GIFT CERTIFICATE
Angler Arts - DROP-IN CLASS CERTIFICATE ($15.00 VALUE)
Barry's Homebrew - $15.00 GIFT CERTIFICATE
Bicycle Stable - $10.00 GIFT CERTIFICATE

I'm surprised you didn't just name the Possible Bad Decisions basket after me.

I didn't want to make it...personalized.

stbenjamin's picture

I'm surprised you didn't just name the Possible Bad Decisions basket after me.

Last years bad decisions basket was all vodka. Fun times. I think I still have some.

We're branching out. Plus incentive to get a really inadvisable tattoo.

stbenjamin wrote:
I'm surprised you didn't just name the Possible Bad Decisions basket after me.

I'll be over after work.

Also: That's a pretty bang'n list.

My committee did a terrific job - and all of the businesses are really happy to be involved.

Amazing raffle list!

Lukes's picture

don't forget $20.oo gift card from lukes bar...jordan gonna pick up

Lukes wrote:
don't forget $20.oo gift card from lukes bar...jordan gonna pick up

At Luke's prices that will last 4 hours!!! MEGABUCKET$$$

A late addition but welcome nonetheless!

This former Fishtowner, former Miamian may be a teeny bit hungover tomorrow...but VERY happy and looking forward to seeing good friends!

How does the raffle work? Do you have to be there when the tix are drawn?

george wrote:

Congrats, George!

We are announcing the raffle winners at 8. Yes, you need to be present.

zempf's picture

I know it says "rain or shine," but.. is there a thunderstorm contingency plan for this at all?

On the off chance that Sheena Parveen is correct for once, the rain/tstorms should roll through before 6.

We will have tents. Fingers crossed we won't need them.

Otherwise I am just taking all the food to my house and having a party there.

Newcomer wrote:
Congrats, George!

Thanks! I didn't misbehave too much and am fine. As for sleep, well, you don't realize how many friends and family you still have in South Florida until they are all calling at 3 in the morning to celebrate.

New stuff:

- Bag of coffee beans from ReAnimator (the best coffee ever)
- $20 Gift Certificate from X-Hale Lounge
- $20 Gift Certificate to Luke's Bar
- $25 Gift Certificate to Jovan's from Mulvihill & Rushie (the Fishtown Lawyers)
- 3 Cigars from Jordan's personal collection (Fishtown Lawyers)

HOLLA!

apparently you have to bee "in the loop" to rsvp to this on Facebook... i'm crashing anyway

Mulvihill & Rushie should donate one "get-out-of-jail-free" card.

lighterthief wrote:

Yeah I noticed that too.

Don't know how to change that. Tips?

FPDA's picture

austen wrote:
Don't know how to change that. Tips?

Don't take any wooden nickels?

How to change the thing on Facebook. Regardless, it's tonight, all are welcome.

FINAL BUMP!

I'm about to head over and start setting up.

Remember:

St. Benjamin's Beer
PBC kegs
white & red wine
Frankford Hall
Interstate Draft House
Loco Pez
EGG Pub
Johnny Brenda's
Kat's Famous Salsa

Community Service Awards and a raffle to END all raffles.

Thank you to all of the area businesses for their donations, be they beverage, food, or gift certificates.

Who is ready to party?

Mr. Yuk's picture

Next year I propose adding Club Ozz to the "Possible Bad Decisions" gift basket! Can't they submit a gift certificate?!

Mr. Yuk wrote:
Can't they submit a gift certificate?!

maybe they can donate a stripper to pop out of it

100!

new kenzo's picture

haha, never fails to storm on meet the neighbors night!

qbert4578's picture

I had a great time, regardless of the torrential downpours. And I won one of the raffle gifts (which I totally called, by the way)! Nice job by all!

Neilpuck's picture

qbert4578 wrote:

She totally did Q sent me a text from the bathroom line asking me to wait before picking numbers as she was sure she was going to win something, sure enough about 3 minutes later we called her number.

These raffles always turn out weird.

ronchito's picture

qbert4578 wrote:
And I won one of the raffle gifts (which I totally called, by the way)!

That was crazy (in a good way). Congrats!

Epic win! Had a great time.

Austen, you killed it. Awesome work all around to put this together and keep it fun even as we got drenched. In all of our years in the hood, we have always had a schedule conflict on the night of Meet the Neighbors. But this year, we were determined to go, and we had a blast!

great job to the organizers, tons of fun despite the rain

That was some soggy fun :) We had a great time. I wish we had nametags though! I only got to meet a few of you guys and I know there were more of you there!

The rain was a good thing. Being confined to small spaces under the tents forced you to meet your neighbors, whether you wanted to or not. I woke up thinking about the FH hot dogs, that's not weird at all, right? I almost want to call shenanigans on the raffle however.

You call shenanigans on everything. Thanks for your help picking up the food!

Yep great time! Great job Austen and her co-conspirators!

Wish I could have stayed longer than 20 minutes! Great to see some of you, though.