Yeah, So...That Was Fun. What Now?

Make any resolutions?
Break any resolutions?
Well, here we go. About ninety days left of bone chilling, life sucking winter. I can't stand the winter. I hate my coat. I hate the fact that my knee knows what temperature it is out, regardless of how nice I am to it. I hate going to work in the dark, and coming home in the dark. I hate needing equipment, just so I can survive in case I fall in a snowbank with my giant coat on, and can't right myself.
I HATE THE WINTER....
Let the countdown to Spring begin.

I usually got a whole list of things; I made my last two years resolutions (set up to buy a house, then buy a house) and didn't make any others. This year I went back to making a "wish list"...

1. Spend more time outdoors this winter and enjoy it, because most of the numnuts in this town that make life nutty are busy in front of the TV and makin' love to a space heater.

2. Walk more

3. Get my credit card balances to zero before the 0% offers expire off.

4. Don't go long any stock unless it's got a div yield >2% no matter how sexy it looks. Everything else: use options.

5. Go back to lifting weights

Oh and 6: make peace with the Vegan Paramilitary Front.

Winter? What winter? It was 60 on New Year's Eve. I'd like a little winter. I actually like my winter cloths. Coats, scarves, the whole get up.

1fish2fish's picture

coder I'm with you. Christmas is over, I'm ready for summer. Since I am now in a place with no public transportation, and I have to drive, I hate that I'm usually home from my 5 mile commute to and from work and my car still hasn't warmed up. And the philly girl in me is to scared to let my car running outside to warm it up!

I always knew there was something wrong with you. So, you're all ready for your commute from the bedroom to the bathroom?
Come stand on the corner of Broad Street at 5:30am when its 29 degrees, (but a wind chill factor, that statistic they invented so I would know how to feel should I decide to go to work completely naked.... is -15 degrees.)

Atomic Larry's picture

I walked the dog this morning before sunrise. It was beautiful. cold. crisp. quiet. I didnt really notice the "arctic blast" all the news is harping about. Actually, I'm ready for some snow:.bring it on baby. of course by March I will welcome spring with open arms. I love the change of seasons.

AM's picture

Love the winter - the whole thing, the cold, the snow, everything.
Resolutions: 1) Stop cursing 2) take care of various health issues 3) eat better 4) learn patience

"Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone . . . "

Look guys...I know we've gotten off the hook easy so far.
Its not today in particular...its just the long march into darkness...
I just don't like the winter, even if its milder than usual.
Of course, people who had to play with armadillos for entertainment probably enjoy the snow, etc.
I'm just tired of it.

Susquehanna's picture

I'm with Larry: bring it on.
I enjoyed the cold tailgating the classic yesterday. A kind lot mate offered hand warmers in exchange for a few lukewarm hot wings. In between the 2nd and 3rd periods it started snowing.

Look guys...I know we've gotten off the hook easy so far.
Its not today in particular...its just the long march into darkness...

Coder, I am confused. The days are starting to get longer again, we passed the solstice.

Look guys...I know we've gotten off the hook easy so far.
Its not today in particular...its just the long march into darkness...
I just don't like the winter, even if its milder than usual.
I'm just tired of it.

It's ok coder. No need to be defensive. You don't have to agree with everyone all the time. Every once in a while you're allowed to go against the grain a little bit. I know it makes you nervous and you really try hard to maintain the same opinions as the group, but we can let you slide this time. It will help you grow character.

I want sun up by 5:15 and down at 8:30.
Thats all.

1fish2fish's picture

I don't think your request is too much to ask.

Its the very least the world can do for me.
(I'm hearing it will be 50 again this weekend, so I guess I just look forward to that.)

This is true. I used to really dislike summer - until I got central AC. Now it's much more tolerable.

Shoot. Was that bragging? Stein, can we get a ruling?

Is today's "it's below freezing all day & it's going down to 15 tonight" winter good enough for you?

close, but it all feels a little hollow without some snow.

Shoot. Was that bragging? Stein, can we get a ruling?

No, once a piece of technology becomes so ubiquitous that republicans/conservatives/jerks use its existence in poor households as a reason that the poor in this country aren't actually poor it is no longer bragging to claim to have it. see also: flat screen tvs, cable, computers, cell phones, dishwashers.

citation: http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2011/07/what-is-poverty

It's colder in Miami today than it was here Sunday. Honestly, I think Philly winters are TAME and if a guy who grew up in South Florida thinks that, you people can only be a bunch of total wimps. :)

Total wimp who HATES THE WINTER.
Get it right, mister.

These make winter WAY more tolerable. (Yes the link works... Drupal just screws up the text)

Just sayin'

Fleece-lined jeans make below-30F weather WAY more easy to deal with, specially if you got big legs.

Kenzo - fitness equipment?

I need one of these - "Forever Lazy"- I just wish it came with footies.

I saw those on the TV. Its a giant onesie for adults.
Geez...we really disgusting, as a species goes.

Landj's picture

My other one always says we had change of seasons in la, we just didn't bother with the crappy one. I don't get it. I love winter! I could do with more sunlight.. But I let the farmers be happy with their daylight savings. I love skiing, sledding, making snowmen, making snowangels. If you're ever having a bad night, have some hot chocolate with pinnacle marshmallow! Roast a s'more!

Then again, I'm ready for another tan...

I saw those on the TV. Its a giant onesie for adults.
Geez...we really disgusting, as a species goes.

Speaking of Infantasizing a nation ... anyone remember when "perc-a-pops" - the percocet lollipop were, ehem, on the market?
Those would go great with my new Forever Lazy!

I'll have to ask my guy if he can still get them.

They do have the THC taffies. The "i don't know who they are or where they get them" they.

Kenzo - fitness equipment?

I need one of these - "Forever Lazy"- I just wish it came with footies.

If you go to the website it says it does come with "matching footies" -
although they look suspiciously like unattached socks to me.

What I love is that they come in "stylish colors".
You know, for when you get invited to that big black-tie gala.

Anyway, those things are for amateurs. You want one of these:

ah, i saw an infomercial for those the other day! i really, really want one.

I need one of these - "Forever Lazy"- I just wish it came with footies.

I resolve to get me one of these ASAP -- it's going to be perfect for going directly from bed to Planet Fitness.

Neilpuck's picture

Considering speeding up winter, and hoping for a quick return to spring reminds me of all the facebook posts of people who can't wait for Friday to arrive. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the weekends and freedoms that warm weather bring. However, time seems to move too fast as it is. If we keep jumping to Friday, or next March soon enough we'll wonder what happened to all the years. So I'm going to enjoy the wintertime. I don't mind the cold, or the snow, even. Bring it on baby! Shoot, what's so doggone great about spring? It just brings on buckets of rain seeping through my roof.

I'm looking forward to each of the 366 days of 2012. That's right, we get a bonus day this year. Not going to take any one of them for granted. Hell, I'm going to need every last one of them in order to get done all of the things I've committed to.

brooke's picture

...Except for those that live in San Francisco, Neilpuck. I am with Coder on this. I hate the cold with a passion, which was my #1 reason for leaving Upstate NY. No, it wasn't the utter lack of jobs, the fact that Rochestarians get excited about a new chain restaurant opening, distance from anything cultural or metropolitan, lack of public transportation, an alarming amount of completely racist Democrats...

Nope--it was the fact that the last Winter I spent in Buffalo, we got 8 1/2 feet of snow in 3 days. Life is too short to spend it digging out.

If I had my wish, Philly would have San Francisco weather--except it would be in the low 70's year round. Summer's humidity is too much for me and today, despite the fact that I've stayed inside and had 2 cups of tea and a cup of hot cocoa, I can't get warm. This blows.

Former attorney and current CITYSPACE real estate agent extraordinaire

Kenzo - fitness equipment?

I need one of these - "Forever Lazy"- I just wish it came with footies.

Unless Sears went nuts, they're fleece-lined jeans. They block all the cold wind hitting your legs when it's cold+windy out.

Kenzo - fitness equipment?

I need one of these - "Forever Lazy"- I just wish it came with footies.

Ok, but can you wear the fleece-lined jeans to tailgate parties, wedding, funerals and job interviews as Forever Lazy customers recommend on the "official" site?

Atomic Larry's picture

ok. it was cold this morning. ...but still nice.

crisp!

Atomic Larry wrote:
ok. it was cold this morning. ...but still nice.

Glad to see you've collected you respective protons and electrons and are now Atomic. (Everywhere).
Now...are you positive?

Neilpuck wrote:

I can remember 1976 like it was yesterday. Its already moving too fast for me. I get what you're saying, I just would like the years to proceed in comfort. The older I get, the more concerned I am with comfort. I don't want to have to wear a hat that pops off my head, and messes up my hair, (not your issue I know), or gloves so I can't find anything in my pockets cause I've suddenly lost all the nerve endings in my fingertips...Believe me, I appreciate every day I get..even the cold ones...this is one of the only things I can think of that might possess me to drive.

Kenzo - fitness equipment?

I need one of these - "Forever Lazy"- I just wish it came with footies.

Those are just uppity 1% pajama jeans.

the "capture" monitor in the office elevator at 7:55 this morning said 14 degrees. crazy. i was hoping my face would actually fall off so i could call out of work but, alas, it just got so red that i looked like a peruvian child from the andes.

Atomic Larry's picture

Now...are you positive?

"atomic" refers to atomic fireball candy. ...if you remember that stuff. plus its just cooler than 99

Atomic Larry wrote:
Now...are you positive?

And here I thought it had to do with your mad bass skills.

Atomic Larry wrote:
ok. it was cold this morning. ...but still nice.

Now...are you positive?

Is this post meant to be ionic?

crisp!

Less photos of thermometers, more photos of your dogs, please.

I swear the people in my office have never seen a commercial building radiator before.

I go to the windows to the nearest radiators to check the valves... sure enough somebody has opened it all the way so it's a sauna in here. So I make a video showing how to turn the dial and check the pressure needle so that not too much steam is coming in so that you get a nice comfy 70F. I email it to everyone in the office. If it's a bit chilly, nudge the dial just a little bit and check the pressure valve, the needle should be in the middle.

So I come into work the next day and sure enough the heating is back in one of two settings: OFF or KENYA.

i feel your pain. the two ladies that sit by the window jack up the heat to insane temperatures. we have open cubicles everywhere. if you're cold by the window then move.

Hah...my dad used to control the air conditioner at the district he worked at...all the ladies complained constantly about how cold he kept it in the summer, and his reply was always..."go get a sweater".
Now, in his old age, he's on blood thinners and as soon as it drops below 80 he starts shivering.
Karma is, indeed, a *itch.

two settings: OFF or KENYA.

What have you got against Kenya?

two settings: OFF or KENYA.

What have you got against Kenya?

You should have to show a birth certificate to be able to put the heat exchangers to that setting.