Penn Treaty SSD Throws Money at Finnigan's Wake

Repeat after me: "Jobs."
You are getting sleepy.
And now repeat this: "The Casino only has the best interest of the community in mind."
You are getting very sleepy.
And repeat again: "Jobs."
You are now in your happy place and all is right with the world.

HAZMAT's picture

PTSSD should be stopped from any further granting , all future granting should be voted upon by the residents who live in these districts !
This is pure back scratching sad truth behind any good idea this city has is not its impact but how long before its a scandal to get money out of it...........

To be ones self and unafraid, right or wrong, is more admirable than the easy cowardice of surrender to conformaty. Irving Wallace.

$100 says The Spirit will barely, if at all, write about this and if it does, it won't question this expenditure.

YJB 2k12's picture

Yea, I guess that grant is looking more shrewd.

TLP's picture

Are the board meetings public? Are there other opportunities for public comment on the grant applications? Maybe there just needs to be a few extra eyes on the process.

Before everyone goes nuclear, why dont we try to confirm that this has actually occured?

Somers only cited 'sources'. Let's clarify, please.

If I was a board member of the PTSSD and I haven't actually handed over the check, I would snap that check right back and toss it in the shredder before the neighborhood thinks Finnigan's already cashed it.

If this is true, PTSSD credibility has dropped to FARWKING ZERO. ZERO in my book.

HAZMAT's picture

Somers only cited 'sources'. Let's clarify, please.

I'm sure we should get a lil miffed to say the least ... PTSSD why wait until it is a done deal , You think they would put a stop payment on a check thats been cashed ?
Get on it before it happens and then we should look for a way to monitor them so it does not happen again .........

Somers only cited 'sources'. Let's clarify, please.

Verifying sources before flipping out? That's not how the Internet works my dear.

Hey TheSomers decided to post along with a monologue it and it's not April Fool's. Chris Somers can walk it back if it's a dud. But sadly, something tells me in my heart that this is true.

steveeboy's picture

I am thinking I will fill out some PTSSD grant paperwork for loco pez so they can include some balconies and perhaps a jacuzzi in their outdoor seating plan.

I'm going to submit a PTSSD grant to put solar panels on my house.

Let's also do another one. Fishtown.US cruise:

HAZMAT's picture

I'm submitting a grant application to get this dagon root canal of layaway ...........

Yea, I guess that grant is looking more shrewd.

Yeah, but...free t-shirts!

steveeboy's picture

t shirts and ice cream!

but don't question my motives!

this is all for your "best interests"!!!

Somers only cited 'sources'. Let's clarify, please.

Trust me, I have my own concerns about this, should we verify that it is true.

Hasn't someone on fishtown.us previously contacted the board with some success? Can we do this quickly?

HAZMAT's picture

Somers only cited 'sources'. Let's clarify, please.

Trust me, I have my own concerns about this, should we verify that it is true.

we been jebetted ...........

JedicusMaximus's picture

Somers only cited 'sources'. Let's clarify, please.

Trust me, I have my own concerns about this, should we verify that it is true.

I could remembering incorrectly, but I believe it was Donna Marie who was in contact with them before regarding their grant to The Spirit.

10011101

Coder's picture

Regarding questions surrounding the post re Finnigan’s Wake. Below is from the PTSSD website, all you have to do is find out where the meeting is located, it’s not always at the same location. Sometimes the meetings are at 1080 Delaware Ave., across from the casino but I know other presentations take place at Liberty’s Bar (which is owned by one of the board members, go figure).

The e-mail of the Admin Asst there is

(Kerry Auge), she should know where the next meeting (7/18) will be held.

Grant Request Forms and all applicable attachments can be e-mailed to our Secretary, Dolores Griffith at

or dropped off at the offices of The Spirit, 1428 E. Susquehanna Ave, Phila. 19125. Packages will be collected by the Secretary of the PTSSD for review by the board. Requests will then be officially heard at the monthly meeting of the PTSSD board, in the order in which they were received, on the 3rd Wednesday of every month. . A maximum of three (3) requests will be heard by the board at each meeting. Organizations requesting support will be given 15 minutes to make their request presentation to include a brief question and answer session from the board. The PTSSD will provide a computer and video projector for those who wish to present via PowerPoint. Pictures, drawings, sketches, estimates, renderings, budgets and any other information regarding your request are highly encouraged. Consistent with our commitment to transparency, these meetings are open to the public. Once you have presented your request, the PTSSD board will determine the level of support, if any, and will contact each organization regarding the outcome or if additional information is needed . Organizations not receiving support from the PTSSD should not be discouraged from requesting funding at a later date.

I hope this will be announced on a banner.

they already have the portside's money up on the website, and they just got the grant 2 months ago. they seem like they list the recipients before paying out the money. until someone verifies it with them i find the store less than believable.

Coder's picture

Personally, I don't care for the Somerstream blog/advertising. They never have a bad thing to say about the Piazza, or Northern Liberties in general. They remind me of the people standing on the deck of the Titanic still playing the music while the ship goes down. Don't want to affect those sales/rentals I guess.
Haven't cared for them since they published that there were no shad in the Delaware anymore.
But I have even less love for Finnegans.
If they got the money, its because of who owns it, as usual. That's why they get away with everything they get away with. Political par for Philly. More gangsters in city hall than over at 3rd & Clearfield.

Coder wrote:
But I have even less love for Finnegans.

At least the gangsters at 3rd an Clearfield do not portray to be any thing but just that ...
there dope is dope!

Coder's picture

At this point, neither does City Hall.
"They're all thieves, you just have to hope your theif gets in there."

I just sent an e-mail to the entire PTSSD board and copied Squilla, Rep. Taylor, Peg Rzepski, and the ORCA board on it asking if this news is true.

This outta be good.

If anyone emails back I'll ping it back.

dmandy's picture

Yes it was me who contacted the board and recieved and answer about the Spirit. Still waiting an answer about info on the other grants. Here is the page with the contact email addresses for the board.

I think we should all email the whole board, everyday until we get an answer. Rich Levins is Rules and Regulations Director/Fishtown and Dolores Griffith is Secretary/Fishtown. Kevin Kelly I believe is the owner of Liberties. If you know any of these people or the other board members call them up and ask them. I don't think there will be another meeting until September. I think we should also call Mike O'Brien and ask him to look into it. I'm not in his district but I'm going to call John Taylor and see if they can find out any info. Also any council people you can think of.
Would the DA be able to do anything about this?

I don't have a problem with having the special services district but this kind of stuff can't go on.

HAZMAT's picture

It almost seems that they are poking us in the eye on purpose .. make us grant money to your causes huh..we will just donate to people that will anger you enough to stop the whole program. ! Maybe this is there strategy ...

Kotter's picture

I think some of the members on this forum are missing from the occupy protest. All they do is whine just about everything. Heavens to Betsy.

Heavens to Betsy

Kotter wrote:

You must be on the PTSSD board I see.

HAZMAT's picture

That moron couldn't get on board his own boat ...

Kotter wrote:

hey now, you do your fair share. speaking of, i've been waiting for you and zaw's insights on the obamacare thread.

JedicusMaximus's picture

Kotter wrote:

When you whine about the whiners does that make it a meta-whine or just a super whine?

10011101

Kotter wrote:

I think Zaw got scared away when I told him I was black.

JedicusMaximus's picture

Kotter wrote:

I think Zaw got scared away when I told him I was black.

He did seem to have quite the fear of people who aren't white.

10011101

jobber's picture

I do not see Finnegans Wake on here. They do not meet in July & August. Kevin Kelly does not own Liberties.

Jobber

Has anyone called Finnigan's Wake?

Coder's picture

Has anyone called Finnigan's Wake?

We need to organize a Happy Hour there, so we can get to the bottom of this.

HAZMAT's picture

Has anyone called Finnigan's Wake?

Line's are dead ....

Maybe someone related to Ronchito could use their press credentials to ask them for comment.

Coder wrote:
Has anyone called Finnigan's Wake?

We need to organize a Happy Hour there, so we can get to the bottom of this.

Can we just complain on the Internet instead and hope that solves the problem?

Coder wrote:
Has anyone called Finnigan's Wake?

We need to organize a Happy Hour there, so we can get to the bottom of this.

Can we just complain on the Internet instead and hope that solves the problem?

Usually works.

Coder's picture

Just as well, I wouldn't go in there on a dare.

ronchito's picture

A certain someone was sent the story link this morning -- what happens after that is out of my hands.

steveeboy's picture

Joe Rafter, Chair of PTSSD, is owner of liberties...was also a pro-casino guy.

I'm looking forward to the Philebrity post making fun of this thread and the people in it who are getting in such a tizzy over hearsay.

steveeboy's picture

philebrity hates finnegans.

they will be all over this since it is so sleazy.

$75k to a bar!

UNREAL!

Kotter's picture

PTSSD trys to honor all request in the hood. What gets me most of the members on the forum never wanted a casino Now they want to jump on the bandwagon. HAZ go tear some bandit signs down.Heavens to Betsy.

Heavens to Betsy

FPDA's picture

Hmm. If PTSSD was formed as a non-profit and SugarHouse claims this money as a tax-exempt donation, there could be an entire world of hurt coming towards both groups if this turns out to be true.

steveeboy's picture

yeah, we were opposed to the casino, and setting up a slush fund to pay off the supporters of casino and allowing other casino supporters to run the slush fund doesn't change the analysis that the casino would take money from old and poor and be another corrupt institution one bit.

$50k for "history" banners!
$75k for a nuisance bar to landscape the private street it is trying to annex!

Still no reply to my email.

I'm gonna go look for PTSSD's 990s.

HAZMAT's picture

Maybe my comprehension skills are lacking but on a pure and simple level may I ask does PTSSD funding situation not leave them open to legal action?

dmandy's picture

Still no reply to my email.

I'm gonna go look for PTSSD's 990s.

i doubt if anyone is going to answer today, if they are still in their offices or at their computers it won't be for long. With Tomorrow being a holiday not mich is going to get done.

FPDA's picture

Hazmat, they are extremely open to legal action and their founding documents indicate that, upon dissolution of the PTSSD, the voting board members are, as individuals responsible for the settling of all debts. Unless they pay an insurance premium to avoid that case. People seem to have this impression that non-profits are kind of "casual" entities. They are not.

Here's a link to their founding docs:

dmandy's picture

I'm not sure but i think that John Talyor represents at least part of the PTSSD. I have a call into his office & will let you know what i hear. Since the Dem. party is so tied into this place, we might have better luck with a Rep. And I say this as a life long Dem

FPDA wrote:

Here's a link to their founding docs:

Thanks for the link I'm going to be looking into this real hard. There is so much that could be done with this funding on the community level that the choices being made here almost seem criminal to me ...

dmandy wrote:

as a life long dem J.T.and team are awesome

Kotter's picture

Cmom does this really affect all the private investigators we have here. Maybe you should investigate the illegal drug activity that goes on in the hood. Do u want some cheese with that wine.

Heavens to Betsy

dmandy wrote:

I also emailed Marc when I sent out that e-mail earlier.

FPDA's picture

And here's the 990:
You may have to register with GuideStar to see it. They really should already have 2010 up there.

Kotter wrote:

self deleted my comments to you ... JUST NOT WORTH THAT ENERGY !

PTSSD is organized under the IRS, as it says in their selection of filing under 990-PF, as a private foundation.

The Rules (IRS):

ISays here, there are several restrictions and requirements on private foundations, including:

- Restrictions on self-dealing between private foundations and their substantial contributors and other disqualified persons;
- Requirements that the foundation annually distribute income for charitable purposes;
- Limits on their holdings in private businesses;
- Provisions that investments must not jeopardize the carrying out of exempt purposes; and
provisions to assure that expenditures further exempt purposes.

The Rules (IRS):

- Limits on their holdings in private businesses;
provisions to assure that expenditures further exempt purposes.

the very end it said all granting shall be for non profit organizations only in the fishtown,n.liberties,and south kensington areas.. they basically are lying to not only us but the IRS as well ... it is these types of brazen acts of self indulgence that always gets them hung up and dried out !

I just sent an e-mail to the entire PTSSD board ... and the ORCA board on it asking if this news is true.

ORCA does not have any relationship PTSSD. Tom from NKCDC said he'd look into it.

wooooooooooohooooooooooooooooo

HAZMAT's picture

sorry for the bad attitude i'm going sign of for a lil bit this has me steaming right now ..

Zaw's picture

Kotter wrote:

I think Zaw got scared away when I told him I was black.

No. I was just dissapointed when we couldnt have an honest disscussion about it.

You can take the fish out of the town but you can't take the town out of the fish.

Zaw's picture

Kotter wrote:

Just waiting for Rush to tell me what to think about it.

Duh. I copied the ORCA board b/c I wanted any of the PTSSD board members to hit reply-to-all to let us all know (at once) what the deal-yo is.

If this is real that Mike Driscoll is gonna get upper 5 figures for a one block pedestrian pathway for his patrons to puke on; then I wanna know why Cione doesn't get ATV-proof fences and astroturf. Or York St has broken pavement in spots. Or why we got so many unsecured lots that need cyclone fencing, or why Front & Girard still looks like crap. And no money for security cameras.

Why blow all this money on Bodine Street for some pit stop on the Erin Express.

This better not be true.

Cool beans.

Kotter wrote:

get with the times bro, we can easily complain on F.U.S. from our iPhones while we sit in a drum-circle at occupy silly. It's called multitasking.

Zaw's picture

ok. I get it now. Calling someone names is a-okay ( as long as its someone you dont like) but a playful play on words about self deleting comments is censored.
Seems a bit hypocritical to me

lighterthief wrote:
Kotter wrote:

lol I needed that thanks !

YJB 2k12 wrote:
But guys ... it's according to THE SOMERS BLOG

It's a big gamble for the Somers. If it's true that means it's a real big-boy blog now.

YJB 2k12's picture

Interesting how it is the most recent post on the blog (7/3/2012), yet it is not the first post listed on their homepage. It is sandwiched between blog posts dated 7/1/2012 and 7/1/2012.

Zaw's picture

HAZMAT wrote:
lighterthief wrote:
Kotter wrote:

lol I needed that thanks !

this is absolutely hysterical. if you have not seen this before please watch it. I love the part where the guy wont share his ipad:

lighterthief wrote:

lolz.

I find that fact that jbette'ing was used a verb in this thread to mean 'slowing down to inject reason' hilarious.

th have you heard anything yet?

Oh wow who doesn't think that's an insider deal?

Depends how you define 'insider deal'.
That said, I give you this quote from a comment on Philebrity:

"So politically connected businesses are benefiting from politically connected foundations that funnel money extracted from taxpayers in politically connected and derived casinos?
I'm shocked, SHOCKED."

Zaw wrote:
HAZMAT wrote:
lighterthief wrote:
Kotter wrote:

lol I needed that thanks !

The Daily Show with Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10cOccupy Wall Street Dividedwww.thedailyshow.comDaily Show Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogThe Daily Show on Facebook[/

THAT WAS !

th have you heard anything yet?

nope

Atomic Larry's picture

what is this alleged funding being used for exactly? I cant tell from reading any of the philebrity/somersteam hysteria.

Just talked to Chris Somers over FB. He's standing by his story.

Quote:
Hey Chris - thanks for reaching out. With folks emailing PTSSD, they can confirm or deny. I became aware of it last night. I thought it was appropriate to get the information out being it is an important topic for the communities and also doubtful that it would be picked up by any local news source. My sources are pretty good and at this point, it is certainly not secret or private information.

As far as the funds exchanging hands, I do not know the process of PTSSD so am not sure how quickly that happens once a grant is approved.

~ Chris

Atomic Larry wrote:

Timeline:

1. Mike Driscoll (owner, Finnigan's) submits a request to Frank DiCicco to strike Bodine Street. DiCicco's staffers draw up the bill. NLNA is then informed during bill draft. NLNA holds meeting and vehemently opposes bill.
2. DiCicco retires, bill is thought to die.
3. Driscoll returns with request to Squilla. Bill is reintroduced and set before PCPC (Planning Commission), again to strike Bodine and also extend outdoor seating to the bar. Before the PCPC meeting, it's learned in the bill language that the bar also wants to install outdoor patio-balconies across Spring Garden, extending over the sidewalk.
4. PCPC (Planning Commission) holds a meeting, partially agrees to striking Bodine so long as it remains open to the public, bikes can traverse it and it's not blocked or cordoned off by the establishment. PCPC says no to the patios over Spring Garden. Driscoll shows PCPC a rendering of the patios (which bounce all over local media). Here's that meeting: http://planphilly.com/planning-recommends-striking-part-bodine-street-add-finnegans-wake-patio-says-no-balconies-over-spri
5. Council suspends the rules on first/second reading and bill sails through. The bill passes along with the other budget bills, including the one punting AVI to next year.
...
...
6. TheSomers reveals that Penn Treaty SSD is going to or already has written a $74,000 check to Driscoll specifically for the Bodine Street project.

Basically Finnigan's has a problem every major bar day for them---big congregation outside the bar on 3rd Street and also sucks up a lane on Spring Garden. Plus there's the smoking thing---and taking over Bodine street lets them have an outdoor smoking area, plus seating, while adding space on the 2nd and 3rd floors let's them take in the extras.

But Finnigan's is a for-profit entity, and PTSSD is a private foundation that is supposed to be spending its money on charitable purposes. There's absolutely no way you can paint or characterize spending money on Finnigan's annexation of Bodine Street in any way other than tossing money to a friend, and that includes registering a phony non-profit to receive the cash (should that be the vehicle by which this is done).

Given what Chris Somers is saying; this completely destroys Penn Treaty SSD's reputation and standing. This stinks like a Vincent Fumo alpaca farm.

bingo's picture

you forgot to add in between #2 and #3: Squilla meets with the NLNA and community, and publicly pledges to abide by what the neighborhood votes/recommends.

bingo wrote:

Ahh yeah; forgot.

To be fair, I'm sure in the back room the DCC powers that be convinced him that's really in the best interests of NoLibs that they live without Bodine Street, despite all their whining and b**ching. They just don't realize it yet. You'll see wait 'til it's done.

Coder's picture

They're probably gonna claim that it has something to do with "greening" Bodine Street...and making it "bike friendly", and alot of other crap.
You can put wings on that pig, but it still ain' gonna fly.

Atomic Larry's picture

So Bodine st is like one of those back alley type streets? ...and they want to remove the street and use it as an outdoor space as well as create a bike/green/walking path? Listen, I've no opinion either way regarding finnegans wake but (and I'm just playing devils advocate here) if they put together a proposal, presented it to the PTSSD and followed the rules, who are we to say that it isn't legit just because we dont like that particular establishment and the clientele there? Maybe it does look kinda shady but a green path sounds better to me than a back alley. I think the process is transparent so we shall see. In the meantime, why not put your energy into applying for something that you care about? If I'm not mistaken, any one of us can put together a proposal and apply for a grant.

Catphilly's picture

I'm going to weigh in here, simply because I am not in favor of any for-profit entity receiving grants that are supposed to be used for the "benefit of the community".

On that note, if I am not mistaken, Finnigan's has historically been a venue that is used by the police (and, perhaps firefighters?) for events, fundraisers, etc. So, I am wondering if this "grant" is being given to them, in some sort of round about way, to "benefit" one of these - or another - organization? Even if this is the case, it doesn't speak much for transparency. Therefore, my questions would be: Why is this profit business getting the grant and WHAT do they intend to use it for?

HAZMAT's picture

PTSSD and granting for profits for so called community interest !
First off any business that is not an asset or of use to a community will eventually fail and the ones who do survive and keep the community in mind are the ones who deserve community support not by a grant that is supposed to be used for things that would add to the quality of life for the residents of this community !
If your making money and are driving a brand new Mercedes Living in a 900,000 home I do not think it would be in your best interest to be applying for grants that should be funneled to your community !

Catphilly's picture

HAZMAT ... I agree. I can't wait to find out the details of this "arrangement".

HAZMAT wrote:
any business that is not an asset or of use to a community will eventually fail

to *a* community, yes.
to the community it is located in, not necessarily.

Atomic Larry wrote:

So let's put up a proposal for a Fishtown.US cruise. Bahamas everybody?

So you're seriously playing devils advocate for a (purported) $74,000 bag of payola being dropped for "landscaping" when like---oh I think we could all imagine like 5,000 other different more ethically-appropriate uses for that money.

It would be the largest distribution of money PTSSD has given out, to date... if what Chris Somers is saying is correct. And he is pretty confident that what he's been told is correct.

I'm going to pretend everyone's enjoying their July 4th holiday and PTSSD will address this matter before Friday.

Sorry, you can use that "greening" bullchit all ya want. The annexation of Bodine is to make an outdoor patio for a bar. "Greening it" and a "bike path" is just words thrown around in hopes it makes people shut up about it.

I would rather look a lunatic and this is all a bad dream, and that this money isn't going to be given to a bar owner. If nobody including PTSSD can seriously think of a good use for the funds, then they just give it back to Sugarhouse if they can't figure out how to spend it wisely.

HAZMAT's picture

I SAY WE JOIN THE WAKES FACE BOOK PAGE AND LET THEM KNOW HOW MUCH THIS STINKS AND PUBLICLY REFUSE TO PATRONIZE THERE ESTABLISHMENT FOR JUST THIS REASON !

Catphilly's picture

Ha Ha ... I've already been "refusing to patronize their establishment" for a whole lot of other reasons ... but this will just justify my sense of sound reasoning and good taste.

Catphilly's picture

Also ... it's the PTSSD we should be hammering - not Finnigan's. They're the ones who put a stamp on this.

Has it been verified yet?

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Coder's picture

When you say that the money could have been used for 5000 other things, thats true, on one hand. But it not like thats the entire pile of money, that one (whether undeserving or not) received. I 'm not saying it right at all, BUT, for all the other things everyone thinks the money could be used for, just remember, you can still request money for those issues. If anything, I hope this issue makes more people aware that the money is there for the community, and they organize somehow to take advantage of it. But I'm a glass half full type of person.

Coder wrote:
I'm a glass half full type of person.

so, how long are you going to let those pants burn before you put them out?

Soul Man wrote:
Coder wrote:
I'm a glass half full type of person.

so, how long are you going to let those pants burn before you put them out?

lol

Pure_Fishtown wrote:
Has it been verified yet?

Not yet. Hopefully it's all a dream and we've all been fooled. I would expect by Friday someone on the PTSSD board will respond/reply... or they just say nothing, then we're left to wonder if they'll even disclose it on their website if nobody talks and says if it happened or not.

Somers says his source is good and reliable.

HAZMAT wrote:
Soul Man wrote:
Coder wrote:
I'm a glass half full type of person.

so, how long are you going to let those pants burn before you put them out?

lol

Look, I know what you're saying, and I don't think (if its true) that what is happening is a good thing. I am just trying to add another thought in there. Go after them, take their money away, if possible, but at the same time, don't forget it is there to be used.

HAZMAT wrote:
Soul Man wrote:
Coder wrote:
I'm a glass half full type of person.

so, how long are you going to let those pants burn before you put them out?

lol

HMMMmmmmmmm.... so is that why my neighbor throws dirty diapers on the sidewalk just because I will be out every day complaining about it as i pick them up but what the heck I'm there to be used ? just because something is under utilized does in no way make misuse the right thing to do !

Coder wrote:
Look, I know what you're saying.

I was just making a joke that you were lying when you said you're a glass-half-full person.
(when you actually are one, but you often pretend you aren't0

Kotter's picture

They closing of Bodine St will be a great addition...One least place where we wont have to worry about dog poop.

Heavens to Betsy

daz wonerful tinking ?

This is from NLNA's newsletter:

Quote:
Finnigan's Wake. Neighbors expressed concern and displeasure at Council's passage, at Councilman Squilla's behest, of bills legalizing the striking of the 500 block of Bodine St. and large outdoor balconies covering Spring Garden St., for Finnigan's Wake.

This week, Councilman Squilla visited the NLNA's Board of Directors meeting, where we reiterated the neighbors' concerns. He reiterated his statement that Finnigan's will not construct the balconies unless or until there's an agreement with the community. He also committed not to put through similar legislation in the future unless a community agreement already is in place.

Finally, many neighbors have approached us asking about a grant from the Penn Treaty Special Services District to Finnigan's Wake. (The SSD disperses annual funds from SugarHouse casino, and has generously funded the NLNA's most recent phase of its Community Center renovation). Our understanding is that the SSD has granted $74,000 to Finnigan's Wake for work on Bodine Street.

I'm thinking of asking the city of giving me Penn Treaty Park to build a parking lot for Johnny Hot's food stand. How big of a grant can I get for this? (I realize this is not a fair analogy. Johnny Hot's is considered an asset, not a nuisance, by neighbors.)

Questions
* Does the PTSSD have a set of guidelines or bylaws that were created with the CBA? If so, I can't really find them on the website.
* If they do have guidelines, why aren't they public?
* If they don't have guidelines, why weren't they ever created?

To me, these questions need to be answered if a disbursement is verified. The reality is the PTSSD may be doing nothing outside of their governing rules.

Edit -- I agree with the general principle that this should be a call to action to become more involved in projects that you think could use these monies, no question there. However, without verifying that the funds *have* to be disbursed within a defined timeline, I dont see a reason to throw money around when it can be saved for future projects.

Atomic Larry's picture

I (very briefly) looked into applying for a grant to get the leaves cleared around the cemetery in the fall. I think a major contingency is that it not be somthing that should normally be covered by city services like streets dept, snow removal, leaves, etc. I forget where I heard this but it sort of squashed any hopes I had and I didnt persure it further. Obviously they dont want to create a precedent in doing things that the city should be doing, which is understandable. I agree they need to publically display their guidlines better but I'm sure if you contact them they'll give you the info you want.

Questions
* If they do have guidelines, why aren't they public?
* If they don't have guidelines, why weren't they ever created?

There's no mission statement.

There's no requirements document other than what's on the application grant form. So there's no general understanding of what kind of projects PTSSD will consider worthwhile candidates for funding. It just says on their website "you present your case with us, give us the application form and we'll let you know," in so many words.

And what's really interesting is that a non-profit private foundation dispersing funds to a taxable entity means the recipient would be subject to income tax on that income unless it was a loan; as a gift it becomes taxable.

What's next? PTSSD starts writing political campaign contribution checks?

Questions
* If they do have guidelines, why aren't they public?
* If they don't have guidelines, why weren't they ever created?

There's no mission statement.

What's next? PTSSD starts writing political campaign contribution checks?

Exactly what I was thinking , I know we should stay optimistic ... but after watching this city in action thats just not a safe thing to do !

Atomic Larry wrote:

You know Sugarhouse does have the power to dissolve its CBA and replace it with a new one, which means the money stops going to PTSSD and would instead go to another organization that is on the receiving end of a replacement CBA.

If money is piling up at PTSSD and nobody can think of a good project that meets whatever requirements PTSSD deems necessary, then it disgorges cash on entirely inappropriate expenditures; then perhaps it's time to nip it in the bud because the whole "B" in CBA is not benefiting the "C". That's why they're called COMMUNITY benefit agreements. If it ain't a benefit for the community, then it's a slush fund.

Just sayin

You can use a foundation to distribute grants to local businesses; however the recipients will owe income tax on it and on top of that they must be meritful disbursements. i.e. say a business is in a historic building and the SSD donates money to save the historic facade, that can pass the smell test, so long as this is established that anyone in a similar situation has the same shot at funding and saving a private structure is in the community's interest. You can channel funds through NLBA and FABA to business recipients for a common purpose... say a commercial street improvement project to spruce up business storefronts... that can pass the smell test so long as it's clearly a community benefit.

However, if I want to add a smoking patio to my bar, on my land, and it's not really for the community but for the people who eat and drink at my bar, where does the community benefit, hmm? Seems more like an interest-free loan that doesn't have to be paid back.

Interest free loans are taxable.

Atomic Larry's picture

Just sayin

I, for one, do not have the time or energy to take on such a responsibility. However, it sounds like this might be right up your alley (pun intended)?

Atomic Larry wrote:

Just sayin

If this disturbing news from PTSSD continues, I don't see why not. I would think a lot of community-oriented people from Kensington, Fishtown and NoLibs would have no problem setting up a meeting with Sugarhouse execs asking to have PTSSD removed as the recipient of the CBA disbursements and a new organization put in place to replace it, PTSSD can keep what it's already gotten.

Since PTSSD has only been around a couple years, I'd rather wait to see if they improve their spending habits or it continues to get more and more questionable.

Atomic Larry's picture

I have to believe that the SSD knew this particular project would be under the microscope. If any evidence of corruption or an 'insider deal' turns up, I aggree, they should rescind their approval. However if they are simply working within the CBA guidelines (whatever they may be) then we can't really do anything about it just because we don't like a particular establishment.

I'm sure being on a board that disburses CBA funding is a thankless position. You're never going to make everyone happy no matter how prudent or transparent. I certainly wouldn't want to do it.

Atomic Larry wrote:

People were thinking along those lines when Pat Freeland was getting large disbursements of FumoCash recycled through loans DRPA took out to blow on "Friends of Fumo"; Pat was running a one-woman CDC and using the funds to squat on vast estates of property. Turns out it was completely inappropriate and the spigot was shut down. That's also the same reason why there's an upsurge in development in Francisville--the CDC was forced to divest a chunk of that portfolio and builders bought the properties.

It doesn't matter how anyone feels about Finn's or that the work of a grant disperser is drudgery.

If this grant is real, then I fully intend to file an IRS Form 13909 on both sides of this transaction questioning its legitimacy and its tax treatment.

Coder's picture

If someone has formed a nonprofit to benefit the Bodine street redo, this entire thread is moot.

Who wants to be a board member of the Friends of Penn Treaty Parking Lot?

Coder's picture

Yeah, I'm more interested in who is on the board, how long are they on the board, how did they qualify, how often does it change members, etc.
I know at least one incredibly worthy cause that was denied. How can you keep personalities from getting involved? What if someone on the board doesn't like me, but my request is within the requirements...who's to say I'm not denied just because. Who's overseeing them?

Coder wrote:

Maybe a board oversight comity based of community volunteers with no more vested interest other than to see prudent use of the PTSSD granting is one way to moderate what is funded ? we do have a lot of activist on here fighting for quality of life issues . just sayin !

Here's a list of board members:

Coder's picture

Yes, I know who they are. I want to know who do they answer to? Are they like the Supreme Court, and in there for life?

Atomic Larry wrote:

My questions surrounding this situation have nothing to do with the establishment, actually. They are more strictly towards keeping grants away from for-profit corporations or entities that have not historically demonstrated any community enrichment activities. I am aware of the slippery slope here.

Coder wrote:

The IRS frowns on crap like that. But folks in Philly still continue to believe you can launder exempt grant money through non profit receptacles. Ask Vincent how he was proven that it's just not so.

Back in 2010 I filed multiple IRS 13909s against TSSI, the PHA funded non-profit chaired by Asia Cooney, the welfare queen with the 100K executive director salary, a luxury SUV and a fully-subsidized PHA unit. I filed it twice... once when I was told about it before news broke, and then another one much later when the official account hit the papers. The crap from TSSI is still going on in Federal court with PHA.

Miss Coney just finally paid back her fine she was slammed with when she committed welfare fraud:

Coder wrote:

I've been trying to find a copy of the CBA online. No luck so far.
I did find this:
"The District is controlled by seven voting members on its board of directors, all of whom serve without compensation. Voting members may not hold other public offices. These board members are elected by residents of the covered neighborhoods, save for the inaugural board. (The inaugural board members are to be appointed by two of the community groups that were involved in negotiations.) However, there’s also a nonvoting advisory board, made up of local officials. "

Atomic Larry wrote:

Jill the IRS flat out SAYS you cannot target funding to enrich a for-profit outright. Let's say we're in Bridesburg and DuPont wanted to expand a parking lot but do it with money from a friend who is a board member of a Civic that is flush with cash---so he sets up "Friends of Bridge Street Parking Lot" and the friend at the Civic disperses the funds to the entity, which has a board of 1 person (a DuPont board member), and its primary FUNCTION is to serve as a parking lot for a COMMERCIAL USE, then this is not an exempt use of the funds.

Bodine Street is becoming an al fresco patio for smokers for a commercial bar and that's its primary use when the landscaping is done.

If this were a project to do streetscape improvements across a whole strip of commercial businesses or rescuing historic commercial facades, that is an exempt and charitable cause. Bodine St. IMO crosses the line.

It's completely outrageous. I don't care who's friends with which person or who is doing favors for whom---this is just flat out WRONG and that check needs to be walked back.

TLP's picture

Soul Man wrote:
Coder wrote:

I've been trying to find a copy of the CBA online. No luck so far.
I did find this:

I think FPDA found it here:

FPDA wrote:

Here's a link to their founding docs:

Thanks to dmandy and others, here's the incorporation papers for the PTSSD (p.1), the bylaws for the PTSSD (p.6), and the CBA (p.26):

Thanks.

dmandy's picture

Spoke to people in O'brien and Squilla's offices. Neither one knew anything about this grant, which really suprised me.

dmandy wrote:

I doubt either would have known. I talked to a couple of DCC people yesterday and they had no clue, either.

Kotter's picture

I hope this comes this back and bites all you haters.. The problem most of the people on this forum were against the casino. But since we now have the PSSTD . they want to dissolve it. STOP trying to destroy a good thing. PSSTD has been generous to many causes and will continue to do so.

Heavens to Betsy

Kotter wrote:

Waa the sole Fumocrat on this board is whining because what is an obvious case of payola gets called out.

Someone call the Whaaaaaaambulance.

Kotter wrote:

If they're not operating by their own bylaws, then they LEGALLY have to STOP.

Kotter's picture

This is all hearsay.. does anyone have any proof ?

Heavens to Betsy

ronchito's picture

Kotter wrote:
This is all hearsay.. does anyone have any proof ?

I'm pretty sure that's what people are trying to look into right now. It doesn't help that (to my knowledge) none of the PTSSD folks have replied to inquiries, thus far -- perhaps they could clear everything up quickly if everything was done in accordance with the law.

Kotter wrote:
This is all hearsay.. does anyone have any proof ?

Do you read full threads or just imply ignorance randomly?

Kotter wrote:
This is all hearsay.. does anyone have any proof ?

It will be on PTSSD's website soon---what their response is.

FPDA's picture

One of the things that troubles me is how hazy the language around board voting and membership is structured. It says to become a “member” of PTSSD you must be a resident of one of the neighborhoods for 2 years. But in Article IV it says that there are no members except as set forth in the document. Which then goes on to only refer to the board when using the term “member”. Essentially, how can we vote on/for the board? Are only “members” of the board allowed to vote on who is on the board, or what? It’s pretty confusing here, but I’m no lawyer…

Coder's picture

Doesn't it say that a petition with 75 adult neighborhood folks can revoke the board...or something similar?

TheSomers's picture

Interesting update - good news.

Grant to be rescinded ?

Chris Somers - Realtor/Owner , REMAX Access
Investor/ Developer/ Blogger
1033 N 2nd St - 5th floor (Rialto building)

jobber's picture

There is a statement on the PTSSD website stating that no money has been or will be granted for this project

Jobber

FPDA's picture

jobber wrote:

"issued" not "granted". Not to put too fine a point on it, but there's a big difference. The statement that the reason it won't because "The applicant withdrew its funding request" is very troubling. Combined, it looks like they were fully prepared to write the check until it was noticed by the Somers blog and followed up on by the people on this board. Just one more thing to keep our eyes on, I suppose.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Maybe the community should demand that ALL grant applications be published online on PTSSD's website before the board even meets to consider the application.

It certainly would make it a lot more difficult to do something like this again if the whole community can see the applications for themselves.

Jayallday's picture

Did you really expect anything less from one of Johnny Doc's buddies?

Wherever you go, there you are

I love it when a plan comes together.

jeffro's picture

For those who are so concerned with how PTSSD allocates their grants, I hope this incident incites more people to attend the PTSSD Board Meetings on the 3rd Wednesday of every month.

Since you can't read tone of voice on a message board, please understand I am not saying this to start an argument. I just think attendance at these meetings is a great opportunity for the community to be in the know about every project submitted.

ronchito's picture

Good idea, Jeffro. Do you know where the meetings are held and at what time?

jeffro's picture

I only found the time on their site: "The PTSSD Board meets on the 3rd Wednesday of every month from 6:30-9:00pm EST from September-June. There are no meetings held in July or August."

But I bet if you e-mailed any of the board members, they could tell you: http://penntreatyssd.com/contact.html

If someone sees Maggie please tell her I said she is 'da bomb!

If someone sees Maggie please tell her I said she is 'da bomb!

You can message her on FB or publically on SSFF.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

ronchito's picture

“These aren’t public dollars,” said Kelly, of the PTSSD’s funding. “The SSD doesn’t receive public dollars. These are private dollars and we can fund whatever we want. We choose not to fund private companies.” (from Hayden's article)

Except when they do?

jeffro's picture

Speaking of Hayden, he reported:

Quote:
The PTSSD holds monthly meetings at 6:30 p.m. on the third Wednesday of each month, upstairs at Liberties - bar and restaurant located at the corner of 2nd Street and Fairmount Ave. All meetings are open to the public.

So now folks know where meetings are held so they can listen and weigh in.

ronchito's picture

jeffro wrote:
Speaking of Hayden, he reported:

Quote:

So now folks know where meetings are held so they can listen and weigh in.

Cool -- thanks. Missed that in the article.

HAZMAT's picture

ARE YOU ALLOWED TO SNOKE IN THERE ?
" CAN NOT STAND DRINKING AND MAKING WISE DECISIONS WITHOUT A CIGARETTE OR 2 "

jeffro's picture

It was at the end of another one he wrote.

ronchito wrote:

Except when they do?

I'm assuming Haden was not writing for the Spirit?

By the way, anyone know if the Spirit is planning to run something about this?

HAZMAT wrote:
ARE YOU ALLOWED TO SNOKE IN THERE ?
" CAN NOT STAND DRINKING AND MAKING WISE DECISIONS WITHOUT A CIGARETTE OR 2 "

I don't think anyone would object to Snoking? BTW, what is a snoke?

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Pure_Fishtown wrote:
HAZMAT wrote:
ARE YOU ALLOWED TO SNOKE IN THERE ?
" CAN NOT STAND DRINKING AND MAKING WISE DECISIONS WITHOUT A CIGARETTE OR 2 "

I don't think anyone would object to Snoking? BTW, what is a snoke?

Maybe snorting a cigarette?

Pure_Fishtown wrote:
If someone sees Maggie please tell her I said she is 'da bomb!

You can message her on FB or publically on SSFF.

Done.

ronchito's picture

ronchito wrote:

Except when they do?

I'm assuming Haden was not writing for the Spirit?

Hayden writes for the Star.