What's for breakfast...

Joe just took a bag and went off to pick up some groceries leaving the potatoes to get soft in the microwave..

I can't wait to see what he is going to make for breakfast!

Breakfast food is my favorite food.

What did you have/are you going to have for breakfast?

Jordan's picture

Coffee

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

meredith's picture

today started healthy eating 2012, so i had some nonfat plain fage yogurt with blackberries and some chai. i think i'll need to have a full year of eating like this to bring my cholesterol back to normal range after what i ate this weekend.

“Try to learn to let what is unfair teach you.” – David Foster Wallace

codergrrl's picture

I can't cook in a microwave. Never could. Used it strictly for popcorn, and as a giant overpriced breadbox.
Oh yeah...softpretzel.

"Je Suis Prest"

Landj's picture

code - we just soften the potatoes up in the microwave. then put them in some oil/old bay mixture in the pan. personally, i choose to put leftovers in a pan with some oil or water. im not a big microwave person either. i actually made popcorn last night, on the stove top.

he just got home. good thing, im hungry!!

jbette01's picture

Coffee, fage 0%, granola pretty much every morning. It usually goes downhill from there.

dan

I'm not sure how anything could "go downhill" from Fage 0%.

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

sdm's picture

eggs, pork product, v8 fusion. if it's saturday, some greens as well for good measure. obviously i'm talking about collards folks.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

meredith's picture

sdm wrote:
eggs, pork product, v8 fusion. if it's saturday, some greens as well for good measure. obviously i'm talking about collards folks.

that's funny. i eat all my greens during the week and then barely look at them on the weekends.

“Try to learn to let what is unfair teach you.” – David Foster Wallace

jbette01's picture

dan wrote:
I'm not sure how anything could "go downhill" from Fage 0%.

Nutrition wise, its pretty easy.

But I dunno, perhaps you are some sort of Tasty Yogurt Enforcer who only enjoys kefir or pequea valley and you think fage is the bottom of the barrell? Not sure.

meredith's picture

jbette01 wrote:
dan wrote:
I'm not sure how anything could "go downhill" from Fage 0%.

Nutrition wise, its pretty easy.

But I dunno, perhaps you are some sort of Tasty Yogurt Enforcer who only enjoys kefir or pequea valley and you think fage is the bottom of the barrell? Not sure.

mmm, i love kefir. i was thinking about trying to make my own kefir grains. i think it's kind of involved, though.

“Try to learn to let what is unfair teach you.” – David Foster Wallace

1fish2fish's picture

12:30 and I'm just eating "breakfast" a peanut butter on wheat bread sandwich. One of my "things to do in the new year" NOT a resolution, is to eat breakfast in the morning, not 5 hours after I wake up. So far, not doing so well. Oh well, I have til the end of January to make the transition...

dan

I'm not really a yogurt fan unless some type of fruit & sweetener are added.
And by then it's got all these carbs that I don't want.

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

Landj's picture

1fish2fish - we just finished breakfast. I usually wake up to a cup of coffee then it takes me a good hour to want breakfast. It's not easy having a Sicilian fiancé who wants to chow down as he is rolling out of bed, but we make it work. :)

We had an egg/chicken scramble, Maryland style potatoes, toast and oj. Yum!

sdm's picture

Yeah I eat a pretty late breakfast, usually takes me about 2 hours in the morning even be hungry so I often don't even wind up eating until 10-10:30.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

th's picture

sdm wrote:
Yeah I eat a pretty late breakfast, usually takes me about 2 hours in the morning even be hungry so I often don't even wind up eating until 10-10:30.

Me too. 2 cups of coffee first thing. Then 10 - 10:30 I'm hungry. When I was in an office I would just get a snack, now I usually just have lunch around then and a snack in the afternoon.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

ronchito's picture

homemade breakfast sandwich every morning for me. eggs (or whites), whole wheat english muffin, and some kind of tasty cheese like jalapeno cheddar.

sdm's picture

th wrote:
sdm wrote:
Yeah I eat a pretty late breakfast, usually takes me about 2 hours in the morning even be hungry so I often don't even wind up eating until 10-10:30.

Me too. 2 cups of coffee first thing. Then 10 - 10:30 I'm hungry. When I was in an office I would just get a snack, now I usually just have lunch around then and a snack in the afternoon.

If I have even one cup in the morning I usually lose my appetite for most of the day.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

austen's picture

I'm trying something crazy this year - eating breakfast every day. I don't think I've done this consistently since high school - which was 20 years ago.

So today - 8 oz of low-sodium V8 before I left the house - then the below when I got to work
small whole wheat bagel (and I mean small) with 2 tbsp of natural peanut butter
handful of dried fruit
medium DD coffee with skim milk and splenda

bozoloper's picture

i believe breakfast to be generally unnecessary in the morning. i do enjoy breakfast foods for dinner, though.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

Atomic Larry's picture

takes me a few hours to get hungry in the morning too.... but Fage Total with a lil' honey is the bomb.

sara's picture

I make my own kefir. The grains multiply as time goes on, so if you would like some, let me know. I just gave some to my mom but in a few weeks or so, I should have more to share. It's not really involved at all.

*I meant to respond to meredith but somehow didn't reply to her post.

meredith's picture

sara wrote:
I make my own kefir. The grains multiply as time goes on, so if you would like some, let me know. I just gave some to my mom but in a few weeks or so, I should have more to share. It's not really involved at all.

*I meant to respond to meredith but somehow didn't reply to her post.

sara, that would be amazing! thanks so much. just let me know when you have enough to share :)

“Try to learn to let what is unfair teach you.” – David Foster Wallace

JedicusMaximus's picture

I've considered making my own kefir before, is it difficult? What kind of milk to you use to start with?

10011101

sara's picture

meredith wrote:
sara wrote:
I make my own kefir. The grains multiply as time goes on, so if you would like some, let me know. I just gave some to my mom but in a few weeks or so, I should have more to share. It's not really involved at all.

*I meant to respond to meredith but somehow didn't reply to her post.

sara, that would be amazing! thanks so much. just let me know when you have enough to share :)

No problem!

meredith's picture

JedicusMaximus wrote:
I've considered making my own kefir before, is it difficult? What kind of milk to you use to start with?

i think you use yogurt, but sara would know for sure :)

“Try to learn to let what is unfair teach you.” – David Foster Wallace

sdm's picture

kefir? fage? you people are just making up words now.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

meredith's picture

sdm wrote:
kefir? fage? you people are just making up words now.

both are amazing, but neither contain meat or alcohol, so you probably wouldn't like them.

“Try to learn to let what is unfair teach you.” – David Foster Wallace

sara's picture

JedicusMaximus wrote:
I've considered making my own kefir before, is it difficult? What kind of milk to you use to start with?

It is SO easy. I actually got my grains from someone, but that person started off getting kefir grains from Cultures for Health: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/starter-cultures/kefir-cultures.html. You want to get the milk kefir grains, not the starter culture.

I use regular 1% milk from the store, but you can use any kind of milk--organic, raw. I never made it with skim milk. It is REALLY good with whole milk, but generally I just use 1% because that's what I have.

Since I already have my kefir going, when one batch is done (I make about a cup at a time), I strain the grains and add a new cup of milk. In warm weather this gives me kefir every day; in cooler weather it's ready every couple of days (though I have warmed it up and therefore speeded up production by putting it in my oven with the light on for about an hour and then wrapping it with a towel).

Since the grains keep multiplying, you can just keep them and make larger batches/faster batches, but a cup every day or so is fine for me, which is why I give away the grains when I get too many.

Also, the Cultures for Health site, while a little expensive, seems to have good products. I know my kefir grains originated from there, and I also got a kombucha scoby that is working very well. I've had lots of success with both.

sara's picture

meredith wrote:
JedicusMaximus wrote:
I've considered making my own kefir before, is it difficult? What kind of milk to you use to start with?

i think you use yogurt, but sara would know for sure :)

Yogurt and kefir are different. I went to the yogurt-making class that Greensgrow offered and from experience, making the 2 are different (and kefir is easier once you get the grains).

meredith's picture

sara wrote:
meredith wrote:
JedicusMaximus wrote:
I've considered making my own kefir before, is it difficult? What kind of milk to you use to start with?

i think you use yogurt, but sara would know for sure :)

Yogurt and kefir are different. I went to the yogurt-making class that Greensgrow offered and from experience, making the 2 are different (and kefir is easier once you get the grains).

ah, good to know!

“Try to learn to let what is unfair teach you.” – David Foster Wallace

austen's picture

Sara, my darling, between the kefir-making (which now I am intrigued to learn how to make, since I just bought Lifeway @ BJ's), your gluten-free cooking skillz, you need to hire yourself out for lessons! :-)

Kat's picture

I get up extra early to make hot breakfast for the family every day (Mommy guilt for being a working Mom!). Usually breakfast sandwiches, hot cereal and fruit, omlettes or whatever I feel like making. I finally got my awesome juicer down so we have a yummy blend of carrott, celery and apple to go along with breakfast. I am going to be looking up more juice recipes. That thing is freakin awesome!

Newcomer's picture

Atomic Larry wrote:
takes me a few hours to get hungry in the morning too.... but Fage Total with a lil' honey is the bomb.

Top that with pistachios and/or toasted almonds. Really, really good.

sara's picture

austen wrote:
Sara, my darling, between the kefir-making (which now I am intrigued to learn how to make, since I just bought Lifeway @ BJ's), your gluten-free cooking skillz, you need to hire yourself out for lessons! :-)

Awww, thanks!

JedicusMaximus's picture

sara wrote:
JedicusMaximus wrote:
I've considered making my own kefir before, is it difficult? What kind of milk to you use to start with?

It is SO easy. I actually got my grains from someone, but that person started off getting kefir grains from Cultures for Health: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/starter-cultures/kefir-cultures.html. You want to get the milk kefir grains, not the starter culture.

I use regular 1% milk from the store, but you can use any kind of milk--organic, raw. I never made it with skim milk. It is REALLY good with whole milk, but generally I just use 1% because that's what I have.

Since I already have my kefir going, when one batch is done (I make about a cup at a time), I strain the grains and add a new cup of milk. In warm weather this gives me kefir every day; in cooler weather it's ready every couple of days (though I have warmed it up and therefore speeded up production by putting it in my oven with the light on for about an hour and then wrapping it with a towel).

Since the grains keep multiplying, you can just keep them and make larger batches/faster batches, but a cup every day or so is fine for me, which is why I give away the grains when I get too many.

Also, the Cultures for Health site, while a little expensive, seems to have good products. I know my kefir grains originated from there, and I also got a kombucha scoby that is working very well. I've had lots of success with both.

Interesting, thanks for the info. It doesn't seem complicated at all and alot cheaper the shelling out $4 a quart at the grocery store.

10011101

sdm's picture

Kat wrote:
I get up extra early to make hot breakfast for the family every day (Mommy guilt for being a working Mom!). Usually breakfast sandwiches, hot cereal and fruit, omlettes or whatever I feel like making. I finally got my awesome juicer down so we have a yummy blend of carrott, celery and apple to go along with breakfast. I am going to be looking up more juice recipes. That thing is freakin awesome!

It gets interesting when you start trying to juice things that God never intended to be juiced.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses's picture

I had Greek Yogurt with mixed in homemade blueberry jam and homemade muesli.

Ugh.

Newcomer's picture

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses wrote:
I had Greek Yogurt with mixed in homemade blueberry jam and homemade muesli.

Oh, I'm going to have some with your delicious apricot jam.

Landj's picture

Kat wrote:
I get up extra early to make hot breakfast for the family every day (Mommy guilt for being a working Mom!). Usually breakfast sandwiches, hot cereal and fruit, omlettes or whatever I feel like making. I finally got my awesome juicer down so we have a yummy blend of carrott, celery and apple to go along with breakfast. I am going to be looking up more juice recipes. That thing is freakin awesome!

Thats so wonderful! When my step daughter is in town I, or should I say, we, do the same thing!

A mans happiness is through his belly. Mine is through foot rubs. Gotta give if you want to get. :)

2014 york's picture

Whatever I order at Paradise Diner. Their Bacon, egg and cheese on a croissant is really good though it's really bad for you.

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses's picture

Newcomer wrote:
ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses wrote:
I had Greek Yogurt with mixed in homemade blueberry jam and homemade muesli.

Oh, I'm going to have some with your delicious apricot jam.

Gosh you still working on that? Stop over tomorrow, and I'll give you something new!

Ugh.

Jordan's picture

Later for lunch, I went home and made eggs with coconut milk and Jamaican curry.

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

Landj's picture

I had breakfast for dinner too!

codergrrl's picture

I had to google kefir.

"Je Suis Prest"