Over 200 posts for quizzo and everyone but 2 people ignore a family with a baby that will be homeless

This is a sad thing.

I'm not biting...

Oh yes I will.
Don't assume you know what anyone on this board does as far as charity is concerned.
You have no idea.

Tracey --
I think you did a good job of listing the standing support services that are out there. And just because nobody has commented on the story doesnt mean we aren't reading it. If you do end up getting a collection bucket together at a bar, please post it here. I will make an effort to go wherever it is to drop some money in. Please feel free to post that info on the FNA page on facebook as well.

the quizzo thread is a month old, the help thread is one day old. it's not really a fair comparison. also, i'm not in the market for a motorcycle.

if you set up some kind of donation system i think you may get more responses.

This is an open message board. People are free to comment or not comment on what threads they wish.

You don't know what people may or may not be doing on their own time, based on their own resources, to help a family, or with what OTHER charitable activities they are already involved.

And call me cautious, but someone posting a thread topic stating that they are selling their motorcycle to help a family, neither of whom I know, nor is the situation that got them to this point very clear, is not likely going to get me to donate, or even publicly acknowledge that I will do so.

As someone who has no interest in buying a motorcycle, I skipped it and moved on, like I imagine many people did. The thread just needs a more appropriate topic to draw attention to the problem. It mentions nothing about helping out a soon-to-be homeless family.

ronchito's picture

Unless you're hoping that a thread about a truly unfortunate family would generate 200+ sarcastic/humorous/silly replies (which would clearly be inappropriate), I can't see how the two are in any way comparable.

austen wrote:

That's not what this lost kitty pointing a gun at my head is telling me.

tracey mccandless's picture

"motorcycle for sale proceeds go to a family" was the forum ..The reason for the post is that as a community we are supposed to see what we can do to help. Of course nobody wants a bike in winter. That was just one man's donation to help, Mine was donation jars and another clothes for the baby. You dont have to buy the bike to help. Figure out what you could do and do it. Its as simple as giving up our coffee money for a week. If everyone did just that This family would not face homelessness. As neighbors we don't need the details of why both parents lost their jobs, None of our business but it is our business when a fellow Fishtown family needs our help.

tracey mccandless wrote:

Again, you don't know what people are already doing - not everyone needs validation of their good deeds.

tracey mccandless's picture

I'm just asking for people to help this family. And by the way I might say My tactic surely brought this subject to the forefront.

Tracey McCandless

I don't think your "tactic" was to allienate the people you think should help.

tracey mccandless's picture

I didnt alienate anyone. I said its a sad thing! take it how you want because either way you look at it it is sad.

tracey mccandless's picture

If there is anyone who would like to help I'm sure this little girl and her parents would be greatly appreciative.

tracey mccandless's picture

I don't think your "tactic" was to allienate the people you think should help.

Do you ever shut up?

ronchito's picture

If I ever end up in serious trouble myself someday, I hope to god nobody "helps" me by berating/scolding my fellow neighbors on my behalf.

tracey mccandless wrote:
I don't think your "tactic" was to allienate the people you think should help.

Do you ever shut up?

Big mistake. Huge.

so, this post is coming from the same person who wrote on the portside's thread that instead of supporting a local business, one could easily go on diy.com instead for free? maybe next time when you want more attention brought to a thread, you could post something a little more positive instead of criticizing people you don't even know.

ronchito wrote:

Fellow neighbors help out without reason just because they need too help

hahahahahaha

tracey, you need to look at this from the perspective of someone that doesn't know you, doesn't know the family and doesn't know the original poster. if i was in the market for a motorcycle i would buy the shadow. i'd have a bike and the family would have money given to them by a person that is aware of their situation and has deemed it a worthy cause. since i'm not trying to buy a bike, and i have absolutely no idea how any money i give you will be used that leaves me in a gray area. there are thousands of places for me to put my charitable donations that will help this community. how can i tell if this is one of them?

i'd suggest having them go through their church. personally, i'd be happy to give to these people if their situation had in some way been validated by a local place of worship. people are going around trying to sell pies from greensgrow, there's scams all over the place in this neighborhood. i'm not rich and i have to be careful with my money. instead of berating everyone for their apparent lack of concern why not find a way to show there is a need and provide people with a way to help?

tracey mccandless wrote:
I don't think your "tactic" was to allienate the people you think should help.

Do you ever shut up?

No, I NEVER shut up. I have what's commonly referred to as a " Fishtown Mouth".
Can't help it...get used to it. Everyone else did.

Who is insulted by this???? This is what I wrote. who did I insult/ alienate

tracey mccandless wrote:
I don't think your "tactic" was to allienate the people you think should help.

Do you ever shut up?

No, I NEVER shut up. I have what's commonly referred to as a " Fishtown Mouth".
Can't help it...get used to it. Everyone else did.

Yeah because an Fishtown Mouth is so unique in these parts hahahahahahaha

Tracey McCandless

Honey...you don't have a clue.

Who is insulted by this???? This is what I wrote. who did I insult/ alienate

Plainly speaking, me. I guess you didn't get the gist in the previous responses.

you might as well just give it up coder, tracey only came onto this forum in the first place to validate her own preconceived opinions about n00bs (and sorry, you do get lumped in with the rest of us). this is just another example.

ronchito's picture

ronchito wrote:

Fellow neighbors help out without reason just because they need too help

Fellow neighbors help each other as they so desire, with or without broadcasting it to others. Which is why your comparison to a Quizzo thread & scolding has no merit.

tracey mccandless's picture

Honey...you don't have a clue.

nor do I want yours

Tracey McCandless

Dan, can we get a banhammer?

Agreed, Stein.
(I absolutely don't mind being 'lumped in'.)

austen wrote:

Who is insulted by this???? This is what I wrote. who did I insult/ alienate

Explain to me which part insulted you?

sara's picture

Thank you, bozoloper. I tried writing out a similar sentiment twice (even mentioned those darn Greensgrow pies) but stopped both times because I didn't like how I sounded. You stated this very well.

meredith wrote:

i meant no direspect I have just reread what I wrote and I'm am truely sorry. I meant that chairs ans smaller items are available. What I would love to learn is the darn couch and love seat my lovely dogs seems a dire need to scratch everytime I go out

You forgot this part of my response.....

Tracey McCandless

Synergize; maybe have a charitable Quizzo with a donation entrance fee, held at a bar, organized by a Church?

Nope. No one is guilting me into doing anything. Ever.

meredith wrote:

You forgot this part of my response.....

maybe you should do a little more of that rereading before you post...

sara wrote:

I understand the fact that none of you know who this family is and neither do I but i do know the man willing to give up his bike for them and really that is all i need to know. i have sent them to some places that i hope work out well for them but in the meantime i thought maybe someone else could come up with something also. That's all I wanted to do was help. For the ones that try to make me out to be a insulting bad guy, Your wrong. I am a good person.

tracey mccandless wrote:
Explain to me which part insulted you?

All of it. You don't know me, or what charities I am involved in/with, or what I already do in the community.

Hokay - maybe an example will help. If you constantly nag, berate, and goad someone (employee, spouse, child), about doing something, do they usually do it?

Doesn't it usually have the EXACT opposite effect?

ronchito's picture

tracey mccandless wrote:

You may very well be a good person -- and if you helped them out in some way that's a very generous gesture. But I would suggest re-thinking your strategies of recruiting others to help -- like, say, not wrapping it up in a scold/insult of the very people you're trying to appeal to.

ronchito wrote:
tracey mccandless wrote:

next time Ill know better and ask the True Blue. Don't know what i was thinking asking a bunch of self absorbed children that are on this page

I fold.

I feel bad that this family is unknowingly being represented by someone who thinks it's appropriate to berate people about what she perceives as their lack of empathy for said family even though she has NO CLUE whatsoever about what they may or may not be doing for their neighbors. I agree that this is just another way of implying that all of us new people don't care about our neighbors. It's getting old.

tracey mccandless's picture

before you all complain abpout that Waaaaaaaaaa waaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaa Mommy she called me a child

Tracey McCandless

Ronchito, don't you EVER shut up?

ronchito's picture

I fold.

agreed -- it is hopeless.

Lauraska wrote:

your another one who never shuts it

ronchito's picture

george wrote:
Ronchito, don't you EVER shut up?

Only when I'm drinking overpriced beers.

And you're HOW old?

ronchito wrote:
I fold.

agreed -- it is hopeless.

Thirded. Call the question.

Lauraska wrote:

your another one who never shuts it

um... like you should talk. honestly, you're the one acting like a child here. we're just letting you know how to go about things in a wiser manner.

ronchito wrote:
Only when I'm drinking overpriced beers.

In that case, we need to get together and shut up sometime.

tracey mccandless wrote:

i believe you're a decent person just trying to help, but the approach you took in this thread just feels like you're scolding new people for not caring. this site is predominantly newer people, we don't know all the families, we're not part of the fishtown lifer grapevine.

you put out a great list of options, past that there wasn't much else for anyone to say but "i have $XX to donate, where i can i drop it off?" i don't think anyone is going to do that if they have no idea where the money is going.

ENOUGH.

Dan, please lock this thread.

Everyone take 10 and walk away.

Tracey - I ask you to respect that fact that personal insults are not welcome on fishtown.us.

Lauraska wrote:

your another one who never shuts it

I'm not going to shut it when some half-wit tries to tell me that I'm not charitable enough. So deal with it.

ENOUGH.

Dan, please lock this thread.

But I just made popcorn!

Well, anyway, everybody just shut up. Thank you.

austen wrote:
Dan, can we get a banhammer?

The thing about banhammers is that they hit both the people you agree with and the people you don't.

I agree that Tracey's post about coder is out of line. Then again, I've some of the folks who are now arguing with her be guilty of similar behavior.

Frankly, I think the forum was a better place when I enforced the rules against insults - but I decided I no longer wanted the grief and (even more) that I didn't want to spend the time.

if you do, if you don't.

Leo wrote:

or at least by a pastor who has had fun running quizzes before?
If only we could find one...

My two cents worth.

Tracey, I don't know you personally but I do know you and know that you are a good person through and through; so please take this as constructive criticism. You should not have posted like you did; it really came off like (and, I'll use me because I haven't posted on the other thread) like I didn't give a crap about the family. I saw Tom's offer which is very nice but I don't need nor do I want a motorcycle. I saw the posts about jars, etc. I thought great idea, if people do this I will make some type of contribution. To me, the thread looked like a place for the cycle and a place to hash ideas about how to help this family. With the start of this thread, it took a whole different spin and not for the better.

Laura, how dare you call someone a halfwit! OP was wrong but to call her names is worst. Didn't you ever hear of constructive criticism? You criticize but you always seem to have a demeaning attitude to your words. How would you like it if some of us here called you a ..... oh what is the word for a snob who looks down upon anyone and everyone who isn't to her caliber?

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

I have to say that although it's not 100% authentic, I *really* like the Cuban at Johnny Brenda's.
It's extremely tasty, and although I shouldn't, I usually end up eating the whole thing.

Any other places you can recommend to get a good Cuban?
I'm still looking for new options since the place on Cecil B. Moore closed last year.

Pure_Fishtown wrote:

Um...I tried the constructive criticism and then she insulted me. But of course it's okay for one of the old timers to be on the attack...it's when a new person that you've labeled a snob says something that it becomes wrong. Puh-lease.

It is half-witted behavior to come on and create a thread in the way that the OP did, here.

Okay, I'll go with half-witted behavior but not calling the person a halfwit!

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Maybe a dunking booth with Tracey, Laura, Stein, & I taking turns?

I heard a rumor that it was open again.

snailgem's picture

how does that psalm go, "my ego runneth over"?
or something like this...