So You Root For the Other Team...

Mistake #1 - Leaving CBP with your Rangers jersey still on. Unless you are headed straight to the parking lot to drive back home, better take that off or put a jacket over it. You're going to get crap from the drunk Flyers fans who don't have all that much tact when they're sober. Deal. We're not talking about the 17 year old hockey punks... these are the older guys who sit in the chair to watch a major loss and then are itching to take it out on someone on the way back home.

We're talking about folks like this:

Mistake #2 - Going to Geno's.

Mistake #3 - Going to Geno's AFTER a mega-hyped Flyers game, so you just KNOW the 700-Level folks will be out in full force.

Oh who am I kidding, this kinda stuff happens every year when Canuck fans come down here in late season and still they never learn.

This isn't a one-off thing. I've gotten in plenty of kerfuffles in the stands at Flyers games before 3rd period and 3 years ago I saved an Islanders fan seated behind me from an arsewhoopin' because he couldn't handle Joe McFatburger who was more than happy to waste his precious $70 ticket throwing his addytood rather than enjoying the game.

I mean... this is the town that had Eagles Court. That should tell you somethin'.

BTW the Rangers fans TOTALLY started this brawl, before you beat up on me for beating up on die-hard Flyers fans, I think most of us know what nosebleed seats are like in the NHL, and the only way to avoid it completely is to pay for corner-ice tickets.

Landj's picture

My fiancé is a Jets fan. We went to the Jets/Eagles game. The guy working at the subway stop at the stadiums was wearing a Jets jersey. He told my fiancé to take his coat off. It's ok.
I said, sure.. You're behind glass.

People said things like, "this is going to be a long game for you." I said, "not really. I'm not a jets fan.." they said, "ohhh... " wanted to high five. I said I'm a redskins fan. They said comments, I replied.. Umm redskins are horrible. Why are you upset with me? If anything, be happy. We never beat you and we help you get a better spot in the division. They just looked at me confused. I said, it's football. Your team has had a long year. He can handle a long game. Stop taking it so serious.

Then, they let me try a crabby fry.

See what happens when people aren't so wasted? They can have a silly conversation without attempting murder.

Too much beer + anything dealing with passion is a recipe for disaster.

I hope the people involved are ok. I also hope they chill out on the seriousness of the sport, their alcohol intake and their cheesesteaks. Life is too short.

NFL/MLB are different. There's a lot more neutral visitors at the games. The out of townies that specifically come to Philly for a season NHL game are a different animal.

The display of testosterone can be higher sometimes. I will still sit in the upper levels and buy one corner ice ticket before playoffs but I know full-well there will be crazed nuts in the upper deck; there always are.

And it's the same group of fans over and over again... Penguins/Canucks/Rangers/Islanders. I've never seen a Red Wings fan get pummeled at the Wells Fargo Center and separated by cops.

Landj's picture

I guess let's just be happy that we don't have soccer..

Landj wrote:
My fiancé is a Jets fan.

As a Dolphins fan, this makes my skin crawl. And I'm sure he feels the same. But I'm sure he's swell otherwise and congratulations to you both!

(oh, and Rex Ryan is a fat fraud) :)

ronchito's picture

Landj wrote:
I guess let's just be happy that we don't have soccer..

we do have soccer

Chris in Kenzington's picture

BTW the Rangers fans TOTALLY started this brawl

Not according to the news. Multiple news outlets report the Flyers fan threw the first punch and then the guy gets beat by a second dude while on the ground. Typical in these parts.

This is exactly why I won't go to a Rangers or Eagles game in this city. Football games aren't that bad... as long as you don't get hotdogs thrown at you or beer down your back. Mostly booing and heckling which is fine. Eagles fans care more about getting up in the middle of plays to get beer and there is a better chance for 2 Iggles fans fighting because of peeps blocking views and tripping over other fans. At hockey games, the beligerence goes through the roof. The game is secondary to the fighting on and off the ice.

That being said, anyone stupid enough to go to Genos or Pats for a cheeze wiz steakum deserves to get beat down.

bonzombiekitty's picture

Never been to a hockey game. The Phillies & Eagles games I've been to, people seemed to pretty much behave themselves. Then again, I don't tend to hang around the stadiums when the games are over so I don't end up hanging out with the people that stay and drink.

Though I did go to a Villanova game when they played Syracuse a few years ago and almost got in a fight. Now-Fiance grew up in Syracuse and is a huge Syracuse fan, when they come down to play Villanova a lot of her friends used to come down to go to the game. We hadn't been dating too long at the time so I went to the game just to meet her friends - I'm not a fan of either team. When walking into the arena before the game I was holding onto an orange pom-pom for now-fiance. Some 'Nova drunk douche bag ripped it out of my pocket and threw it on the ground and stamped on it. I brushed it off, not wanting to escalate it - he was drunk and I was sober, not worth the effort. A few minutes later, the same douche bag tried to rip it out of my hands, partially breaking it in the process. That ed me off a great deal. We had some words. I loathe 'Nova now.

bonzombiekitty wrote:

That guy sounds like a class A . Every single sports team on the face of the planet has at least one. I promise, we are not all like that. But yes, I do hate Syracuse with the fiery passion of 1000 suns, perhaps alternating with Georgetown, St. Joes and UConn depending on the season.

Who physically started it is one thing, who shot their mouth off first is another.

Landj wrote:
I guess let's just be happy that we don't have soccer..

Ah, we do. Check out the Sons of Ben.
We just don't have hooligans. (Except at my house.)

Landj wrote:
I guess let's just be happy that we don't have soccer..

Ah, we do. Check out the Sons of Ben.
We just don't have hooligans. (Except at my house.)

hooligans from the scottish hooligan society?

They be the ones.

Landj's picture

I played soccer throughout my youth. Never missed a summer Baltimore Blast camp! I was more referring to the insane fans of soccer that other countries have. :)

ronchito's picture

I've been to a couple of Eagles/Giants games here in Philly and never had a problem (I'm a Giants fan). It's usually pretty easy to ID the person(s) who's going to be more serious about it than everyone else -- and just as easy to ignore them. As long as you cheer without being a jackass, it seems like most of it is good-natured fun. Always thought the whole Eagles-fans-are-ruthless reputation to be a bit overblown.

Physical violence is not a reasonable response to sports-related heckling. This is some troglodyte level nonsense.

i think the problem here is more with geno's fans than hockey fans.

bonzombiekitty's picture

heh. I grew up in CT and since Drexel doesn't have a sports culture at all, it makes me a UConn fan when it comes to college sports. Not that I pay much attention to college sports, but if I have to root for a college team, it's UConn. Been a bit a rivalry between fiance and I. I STILL hear her brag about Syracuse beating UConn in that game that went into something like 10 over times 2 or 3 years ago (Syracuse as city celebrated that one for a good six months).

ronchito's picture

bonzombiekitty wrote:

Nice to have a fellow Husky fan in the 'hood! (I grew up in CT too) My friend & I are going to the UConn/Nova game in Feb. He's not a huge Nova supporter but he does get all teary-eyed when he watches 1985 championship game. I doubt we'll get into a fight but I guess you never know. That's funny about the Syracuse 6-OT bragging -- especially since UConn went to the Final 4 that year and the Orange couldn't make it past 2 rounds. It was a classic, though.

Susquehanna's picture

i think the problem here is more with geno's fans than hockey fans.

absolutely. they're all dbags

phillygirl1267's picture

ronchito wrote:

I'm a Giants fan too, my husband is an Eagles fan, its war in our house when the 2 teams play each other and forget about when the Eagles needed the Giants to lose and they didnt, I never heard the end of it... Although I would never go to a game, I wear my Manning jersey all over the neighborhood and hardly ever get razzed for it...

I'm pretty lucky in the rivalry department since all the Miami teams (except the Marlins) play in different divisions and/or conferences than the Philly teams and there have been few huge games or series between the two cities over the years---although Marlins/Phils may get a lot more interesting now.

I have been razzed for wearing a Miami Heat shirt and wanted to explain "no, it's not being a front-runner when you're actually from there and went to games in the Rony Seikaly days" but not worth the effort.

The only thing that annoys me is when people ask why you don't switch allegiances. What kind of fan would do that? When I turn it around and ask if THEY would do the same if they moved elsewhere, that pretty much ends it.

KingDingAling's picture

Chris in Kenzington wrote:
BTW the Rangers fans TOTALLY started this brawl

This comment is just plain wrong. Have you ever been to a Flyers game? Have you? I have. Season ticket holder for 4 years now and do you know how many fights I've seen in the fans or in the parking lot after the game? 0. That's how many.
Fighting in hockey is a way of policing one another. You go after another teams star player then there's a good chance you're going to have to fight later. If you watch hockey you'll notice that a very large majority of the time a fight occurs between two willing combatants and both players will often remove their gloves and helmut, fight, skate to the penalty box and that's the end of it.

I shouldn't submit this comment before mentioning that the best hockey in the world is played during the NHL playoffs and do you know how many fights there are during the playoffs? 0. So please don't say the game is secondary to fighting. It just isn't true.

When the king speaks, fishtown.us would be wise to listen.

CrustyZombie's picture

I really wish someone beat up Mike Rupp after his first goal and giving the Jagr salute. wouldn't have been such a big deal if the guy didn't just have to leave the game with an injury!

george wrote:

Like when people ask me if I have become an eagles fan? WHY WOULD I DOWNGRADE, DUMMY(Insert_Interrobang)

Frank Jones's picture

When you're a Bills fan people just feel sorry for you.

It is nice to be so privileged that you can be oblivious to a pretty popular stereotype in the canon of racism.

AM's picture

I have some great pictures of me having a Capitals fan in a headlock - good stuff because it was all in jest. I posed for a similar photo for him. Both groups of us went out for drinks after the game and a good time was had by all. People have to learn how to have a good time the right way! That whole episode is embarrassing and disturbing.

"Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone . . . "

Landj's picture

Am - agreed!!!

Like someone said earlier, unless you have money on the game.. Don't get so emotional. And if you're putting down more money than you can afford to lose, maybe sports betting isn't for you.

I thought this thread had something to do with being surprised that someone was gay. Unfortunately it's about sports, which I consider a complete waste of time.

So now the story is that somebody (a Flyers fan, whoever) paid a squeege guy to spray the Rangers guy.

Background on the Rangers guy from Jersey that got pummeled: 30, just had a baby a week before Christmas, went to Iraq and got a Purple Heart, is a cop. I'm sure the mooks who did this are keeping their traps shut and laying low. One that piped up on Facebook got turned into South Detectives and Broad Street Hockey is stayin' on it.

Hope these dbags never attend another Flyers game ever again for the rest of their lives.