Philadelphia is Number One!

The post about Phllly having the #1 murder rate of the 10 largest US cities reminded me of several other #1's (good and bad) the city has been bestowed with. I thought it would be fun to try to collect them all in one place.

Here's a few to start. Please add others you can find.

Philadelphia is Number One in...

The Good
Bicycle Commuters
College Basketball
Culture
Hockey (same link as College Basketball)
Minority Tourism

The Bad
Children Smoking
Gerrymandering
Murder
Incarceration
Toxicity

The Ugly
Ugliness

Ran across another one:
Teen Sex

Aren't we super unhealthy and fat too? I think Men's Health magazine said that. Jerks.

Kat wrote:

I don't think we're #1 in anybody's recent list.
Men's Fitness named us #1 in 1999.
But in 2009 we were down to #20.

We're the #1 Judicial Hell Hole. Yeah team!

Kat wrote:

I don't know about that but I would love it if someone would come over, go into my kitchen and deliver the rest of the Christmas cookies to me on the couch.

KingDingAling's picture

Let's get this post livened up, shall we? Obviously being number one in bicycle commuters should not be under the "good" category. Being someone who drives through center city every morning, I can say with 100% confidence that this city would be a better place without the parasite that is bicycle commuters. I stand by my previous declarations that bicycles are made for parks and children. Please don't bombard me with comments like "well if everyone rode a bike think about all the traffic that would be taken off the rode, making it much easier for the other people in cars." Also, please don't bore me with comments about the environmental benefits, you know things that would get Al Gore all hot and bothered.

When the king speaks, fishtown.us would be wise to listen.

rinobio's picture

So no comments disagreeing with your opinion. Mmmmm ok.

We're the #1 Judicial Hell Hole. Yeah team!

Also known as "Jurisdiction Most Likely to Hold Mega-Corporations Accountable for Their Actions."

That "Judicial Hellholes" list is compiled by the lobbying group for big Pharma, Oil, Chemical, etc. The faux-grassrootsness of it all makes me really angry. What a charade.

KingDingAling wrote:

I think it's good in that it's an indicator of exercise, and it also suggests that people live close to where they work. The alternative would be more cars and more fatties. I don't see your angle except that you don't like sharing the road with cyclists, I assume because they take a lane on some roads and ride in an erratic style sometimes. Is that all?

Love is a Mattlefield.

Matt Benatar wrote:
… I assume because they take a lane on some roads and ride in an erratic style sometimes.

Wait, are you still talking about bikers, or have you moved on to drivers?

KingDingAling wrote:

Just imagine how much better the city would be without cars.

KingDingAling wrote:

Just imagine how much better the city would be without cars.

And pedestrians!

By definition, you need people to have a city. But humans have had cities for thousands of years without cars

Doesn't negate what I said. :)

That said, Manhattan would be a lot better without most vehicles. And with the subways, they aren't all that necessary for transporting humans.

disagreed. it wouldn't be a city without people living in it. and in this particular city it would be impossible to have people without having them walk, at least temporarily, on public sidewalks and therefore acting as pedestrians.

I agree with all of that... and I'm wondering what happened to the humor.

KingDingAling wrote:

Just imagine how much better the city would be without cars.

And pedestrians!

We'd have to rename the city "Dallas".

KingDingAling wrote:

Just imagine how much better the city would be without cars.

And pedestrians!

We'd have to rename the city "Dallas".

…and then answer the question: "Who shot JR?"

Kristen!

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Maggie Simpson!

KingDingAling's picture

Here's one guy who'd be alive if there were no bicycles. And while I know far more people are killed by cars I'm also smart enough to know that there are far more many cars on the road. I'm really not trying to break it down all scientifically and prove to all readers of this forum beyond a reasonable doubt that my way of thinking (that bicycles aren't worth there weight in dog poop) is right or should be shared by all. Rather, I'm stating my no so humble opinion on my preferences based on an intimate and annoying first hand experience with these two wheeled monstrosities on a daily basis.

I also thought I'd share an interesting hypothesis as I fancy myself a somewhat junior scientist.
Not all women have bushy armpits but ALL women with bushy armpits use a bike as their primary transportation vehicle.
I'll begin my testing next week and i'll be sure to share my results with this thread. It's probably the closest I'll come to getting my scientific work published in any journal.

When the king speaks, fishtown.us would be wise to listen.

"In San Francisco, cyclists don't pose as great a risk to pedestrians, reports the transportation site SF Streetsblog: "811 people were injured by drivers last year, 18 people were injured by bicyclists, according to SFPD data."

tracey mccandless's picture

Possible cure for leukemia found by Penn State researchers

Tracey McCandless

Men's Health always hypes up Madison, WI in every listicle they put out.

stbenjamin's picture

Men's Health always hypes up Madison, WI in every listicle they put out.

Men's Health is out of Emmaus, I wonder if an anti-Philly bias is at play. I swear half the Forbe's lists exist to make Philly look bad so New Yorkers stop jumping ship.

stbenjamin wrote:
Men's Health always hypes up Madison, WI in every listicle they put out.

Well that's where the CEO lives I think, but having read the mag, most of the content is churned out of the NYC office.

Men's Health always hypes up Madison, WI in every listicle they put out.

It's very Portlandia-esque there.