irrational fears

Since thangs are very heavy around here lately, a conversation I had recently made me wonder:

What are your fears? Ghosts? Republicans? Chia pets?

I'll go first:

Clowns
Dolls
Clown Dolls
Puppets (except the Muppets)
Marionettes
Ventriloquist dummies

sdm's picture

Urban Bigfoot Attack

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

fuzzybottoms's picture

Spiders
Heights
Sleeping with my feet outside of the covers
Parallel parking

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Stein

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

dan

This one's for you, austen:

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

austen's picture

dan wrote:
This one's for you, austen:

You, sir, have made my day.

rinobio's picture

escalators
my basement in the dark. ( yes i know i am silly)

Lauraska's picture

I only fear the downward escalators.

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses's picture

I hate marionettes too! And clowns!
I sort of have an irrational fear of having a brain aneurism.

Ugh.

codergrrl's picture

Oh Jesus, how much time do you have.
I will not get on an airplane. I had a panic attack getting on the one that was bolted to the front of the Franklin Institute.
Driving. I'm fine, I'm afraid of the rest of you.
Heights, cannot even look out the window because I know somehow, some otherwordly force will just push me right through the glass to my death.
Crowds. Again, too many humans.
Malls, and shopping in them. See above.
Anesthesia, the closest thing to being dead you can get. Too iffy, IMO. Plus I know some anesthesiologists, which doesn't comfort me at all. (Yes, I have done without it...I'd rather be in pain and know I'm still alive...but that's an entirely different thread.) If I could only get over that one, my knee would be fixed.
Ironically, the over use of alcohol alleviates every one of those fears, but is not condusive to the actual activity. I've tried.

"Je Suis Prest"

Kenzo's picture

Heights - That didn't stop me from skydiving for 6 years. And skydiving doesn't cure a fear of heights I'm here to tell you.

Violent turbulence - I acquired this fear from skydiving. Hitting your head on the roof and getting a near-concussion WHILE the back door of the plane is wide open == crazy scary. Still have nightmares about that.

Clowns

Those Russian dolls that are one inside of another. That creeps me out.

Opus Dei

Stein

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

sdm's picture

I was totally fine with skydiving but I have trouble even being up on people's roof decks, at least near the edge.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

Kenzo's picture

sdm wrote:
I was totally fine with skydiving but I have trouble even being up on people's roof decks, at least near the edge.

Bunjee is still off the radar.

I did jump off the Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas though, multiple times. But you're hooked up to an elevator cable.

Comparing which is more scary, the "Big Shot" ride on the Strat Tower is about 2x more scary than jumping off the building.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

dan

codergrrl wrote:
I will not get on an airplane. I had a panic attack getting on the one that was bolted to the front of the Franklin Institute.

I'm pretty sure that's the best thing I'll read all day.
Thanks!

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

Newcomer's picture

Kenzo wrote:
Heights - That didn't stop me from skydiving for 6 years.

sdm wrote:
I was totally fine with skydiving...

These posts belong in Jordan's bragging thread.

zimmiezelda's picture

There's this certain kind of bug, they're like centipedes but much, much hairy-er! (is that right?) If I see one, I can't even stay in the same room.

Gold is the new silver. Must I tell you everything?

zimmiezelda's picture

I couldn't even bring myself to Google a picture.

Gold is the new silver. Must I tell you everything?

Newcomer's picture

zimmiezelda wrote:
I couldn't even bring myself to Google a picture.

Google is on my list too. And the fear that some unstable Septa patron is going to push me off the platform onto the tracks.

meredith's picture

zimmiezelda wrote:
There's this certain kind of bug, they're like centipedes but much, much hairy-er! (is that right?) If I see one, I can't even stay in the same room.

those are silverfish. we get a ton of them in our house, mostly in the bathroom. thankfully, i have a fiance who will kill them so i don't have to.

“Try to learn to let what is unfair teach you.” – David Foster Wallace

1fish2fish's picture

birds
and I too had nightmares about silverfish! I had a fan behind my bed and my hair would tickle my face and would have nightmares that the silverfish were crawling all over me. It was horrible! That and I felt like they all lived under a chair in my house and if I lifted it up they would all come scurring out. It still makes me shudder.

meredith's picture

1fish2fish wrote:
birds
and I too had nightmares about silverfish! I had a fan behind my bed and my hair would tickle my face and would have nightmares that the silverfish were crawling all over me. It was horrible! That and I felt like they all lived under a chair in my house and if I lifted it up they would all come scurring out. It still makes me shudder.

they are pretty filthy creatures.

“Try to learn to let what is unfair teach you.” – David Foster Wallace

brooke's picture

Birds, moths, small spaces (even watching someone crawl through a heating duct is like a horror movie to me), falling on my face, ladders (no issues with heights though).

Former attorney and current CITYSPACE real estate agent extraordinaire

KingDingAling's picture

I have a strong and rational fear of the hard core religious right. You know, Santorum votes. This is the type of hard lined, faith based indoctrination you see in the middle east.

When the king speaks, fishtown.us would be wise to listen.

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses's picture

Newcomer wrote:
the fear that some unstable Septa patron is going to push me off the platform onto the tracks.

oh my gosh, yeah, that one!

Ugh.

codergrrl's picture

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses wrote:
Newcomer wrote:
the fear that some unstable Septa patron is going to push me off the platform onto the tracks.

oh my gosh, yeah, that one!

I used to kinda have that. In the subway I always felt like I would fall, and for some reason, as if its slanted, roll uncontrollably into the tracks. I'm semi mesmerized by the headlights...I stopped taking it.
I remember thinking once that every el I was on was making a funny sound, and had to get off and wait for the next one, which then made the same exact sound. Took forever to get home. (That was when I was a teenager, I'm semi better now. The older I get, I'm just resigned that something is gonna kill me anyway.)

"Je Suis Prest"

rinobio's picture

I always stay as far back against the wall as I can too many craies on SEPTA I don't want them out of my line of vision for any period of time

codergrrl wrote:
ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses wrote:
Newcomer wrote:
the fear that some unstable Septa patron is going to push me off the platform onto the tracks.

oh my gosh, yeah, that one!

I used to kinda have that. In the subway I always felt like I would fall, and for some reason, as if its slanted, roll uncontrollably into the tracks. I'm semi mesmerized by the headlights...I stopped taking it.
I remember thinking once that every el I was on was making a funny sound, and had to get off and wait for the next one, which then made the same exact sound. Took forever to get home. (That was when I was a teenager, I'm semi better now. The older I get, I'm just resigned that something is gonna kill me anyway.)

Atomic Larry's picture

Kenzo wrote:
violent turbulence - I acquired this fear from skydiving. Hitting your head on the roof and getting a near-concussion WHILE the back door of the plane is wide open == crazy scary.

I fly all the time and still get white knuckle nervous with bad turbulence. ...not sure how irrational it is though?

1fish2fish's picture

I found out that a friend of mine has an irrational fear of sock monkeys! It was kind of funny to hear her shriek in a bar when I got a wine bottle sock monkey cover. Totally annoyed everyone around us, but brought us all to tears laughing.

Kat's picture

zimmiezelda wrote:
There's this certain kind of bug, they're like centipedes but much, much hairy-er! (is that right?) If I see one, I can't even stay in the same room.

We call then Thousand-Leggers. Don't bother me, but my eldest daughter saw one in her room once and slept in the hall for three days.

For me it's dolls and the fear that something is terribly wrong with one of my kids if they don't text me back within 2 minutes of me texting them.

bozoloper's picture

Kat wrote:
For me it's dolls and the fear that something is terribly wrong with one of my kids if they don't text me back within 2 minutes of me texting them.

i can never decide if it would have been more embarrassing to have my mother call me on a cell phone every 10 minutes as a kid, or having her call every parent of any child i could possibly hanging out with and asking them if i'm there.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

sdm's picture

bozoloper wrote:
Kat wrote:
For me it's dolls and the fear that something is terribly wrong with one of my kids if they don't text me back within 2 minutes of me texting them.

i can never decide if it would have been more embarrassing to have my mother call me on a cell phone every 10 minutes as a kid, or having her call every parent of any child i could possibly hanging out with and asking them if i'm there.

Better than having your Dad walk out on the back deck and just yell your name so loud the entire neighborhood could hear it.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

codergrrl's picture

Or having your dad walk up to your corner in full police regalia to tell you its time to go home.

"Je Suis Prest"

Newcomer's picture

"Speaking" the local language when traveling. I'm sure peals of Spanish/French/German/Italian/Czech laughter following ordering in a restaurant or request for directions/etc has nothing to do with it.

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses's picture

Atomic Larry wrote:
Kenzo wrote:
violent turbulence - I acquired this fear from skydiving. Hitting your head on the roof and getting a near-concussion WHILE the back door of the plane is wide open == crazy scary.

I fly all the time and still get white knuckle nervous with bad turbulence. ...not sure how irrational it is though?

I have lorazepam for that.

Ugh.

zimmiezelda's picture

meredith wrote:
zimmiezelda wrote:
There's this certain kind of bug, they're like centipedes but much, much hairy-er! (is that right?) If I see one, I can't even stay in the same room.

those are silverfish. we get a ton of them in our house, mostly in the bathroom. thankfully, i have a fiance who will kill them so i don't have to.

Actually, those bugs are not silverfish. I can deal with those. They are called House Centipedes. They are the grossest things on the planet.

Ironically, Centipede is my favorite game to play at Barcade.

Gold is the new silver. Must I tell you everything?

phillybama's picture

Birds
Having a tooth knocked out

dan

getting stuck in a traffic jam after drinking a 32-ounce iced tea

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

2014 york's picture

dreadlocks, they really creep me out.

Leo's picture

zimmiezelda wrote:
meredith wrote:
zimmiezelda wrote:
There's this certain kind of bug, they're like centipedes but much, much hairy-er! (is that right?) If I see one, I can't even stay in the same room.

those are silverfish. we get a ton of them in our house, mostly in the bathroom. thankfully, i have a fiance who will kill them so i don't have to.

Actually, those bugs are not silverfish. I can deal with those. They are called House Centipedes. They are the grossest things on the planet.

Ironically, Centipede is my favorite game to play at Barcade.

House centipedes, while formidable-looking, are a helpful critter to have around -

Wikipedia wrote:
House centipedes feed on spiders, bedbugs, termites, cockroaches, silverfish, ants, and other household arthropods. They administer venom through modified legs. These are not part of their mandibles, so strictly speaking they sting rather than bite.

Mulvihill & Rushie LLC
The Fishtown Lawyers
Criminal Defense • Civil Trials
www.FishtownLaw.com
215.385.5291

Newcomer's picture

Leo wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:
House centipedes feed on spiders, bedbugs, termites, cockroaches, silverfish, ants, and other household arthropods. They administer venom through modified legs. These are not part of their mandibles, so strictly speaking they sting rather than bite.

I am impressed with the modified leg aspect of the centipede.

meredith's picture

phillybama wrote:
Birds
Having a tooth knocked out

i have dreams all the time that my teeth are loose and about to fall out.

“Try to learn to let what is unfair teach you.” – David Foster Wallace

sdm's picture

meredith wrote:
phillybama wrote:
Birds
Having a tooth knocked out

i have dreams all the time that my teeth are loose and about to fall out.

Same here. My dentist said that can often happen if you're someone who grinds their teeth at night.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

th's picture

When we first moved to Michigan, I would have dreams on a regular basis of living in a giant houses with incredibly small doors. Sometimes the doors would be more like tunnels I would have to crawl through to get into my giant house.

For some reason it was really creepy and horrible.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

codergrrl's picture

th wrote:
For some reason it was really creepy and horrible.

Uh, because it was Michigan.

"Je Suis Prest"

th's picture

sdm wrote:
Better than having your Dad walk out on the back deck and just yell your name so loud the entire neighborhood could hear it.

In high school my dad came downstairs in his titey whities and black socks to tell all my friends (boys and girls) that it was late and they needed to leave.

In his defense - it totally worked.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

meredith's picture

th wrote:
sdm wrote:
Better than having your Dad walk out on the back deck and just yell your name so loud the entire neighborhood could hear it.

In high school my dad came downstairs in his titey whities and black socks to tell all my friends (boys and girls) that it was late and they needed to leave.

In his defense - it totally worked.

hahahaha, my dad did the exact same thing! except they were white socks.

“Try to learn to let what is unfair teach you.” – David Foster Wallace

meredith's picture

th wrote:
When we first moved to Michigan, I would have dreams on a regular basis of living in a giant houses with incredibly small doors. Sometimes the doors would be more like tunnels I would have to crawl through to get into my giant house.

For some reason it was really creepy and horrible.

sounds a lot like being john malkovich.

“Try to learn to let what is unfair teach you.” – David Foster Wallace

sdm's picture

meredith wrote:
th wrote:
sdm wrote:
Better than having your Dad walk out on the back deck and just yell your name so loud the entire neighborhood could hear it.

In high school my dad came downstairs in his titey whities and black socks to tell all my friends (boys and girls) that it was late and they needed to leave.

In his defense - it totally worked.

hahahaha, my dad did the exact same thing! except they were white socks.

Same here.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

brooke's picture

meredith wrote:
th wrote:
When we first moved to Michigan, I would have dreams on a regular basis of living in a giant houses with incredibly small doors. Sometimes the doors would be more like tunnels I would have to crawl through to get into my giant house.

For some reason it was really creepy and horrible.

. Coolest part of my new house is a hidden full size room through a "Being John Malkovich" door.

sounds a lot like being john malkovich.

Former attorney and current CITYSPACE real estate agent extraordinaire

Neilpuck's picture

I could hang off the side of a building, climb a 40 foot ladder and scale the proscenium at the Wilma theater, but standing on the balcony of a high rise freaks me out. I don't trust the railing. Or the other 60 people on the balcony.

I also really really really hate cockroaches. Anyone see Creepshow?

Neilpuck's picture

I'm not afraid of heights, or even falling. It's the sudden stop at the end that concerns me.

austen's picture

Neilpuck wrote:
I also really really really hate cockroaches. Anyone see Creepshow?

Uuuuggghhh. BUGS. Blick. Do not want.

I also do not like basements. Or attics. Or this one corner of my parent's house.

Birds are very vaguely creepy. As are squirrels.

sdm's picture

Neilpuck wrote:
I could hang off the side of a building, climb a 40 foot ladder and scale the proscenium at the Wilma theater, but standing on the balcony of a high rise freaks me out. I don't trust the railing. Or the other 60 people on the balcony.

I also really really really hate cockroaches. Anyone see Creepshow?

Ugh, I didn't even think about ladders. I just don't trust them.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

meredith's picture

i fear that i will be confined to a very small room one day with someone controlling what music i listen to. they will play sting, coldplay, and bjork on repeat all day long, every day.

“Try to learn to let what is unfair teach you.” – David Foster Wallace

fishtownfilly's picture

Garden gnomes, little people, Tatoo from Fantasy Island.

Keep Smiling Beautiful Ones, the World Needs Your Light.

ronchito's picture

as a kid i was deathly afraid of large plants -- especially ones with giant, plasticky-looking leaves. i have vague memories of bawling in a nursery.

th's picture

Clear noodles. I always think of that scene in The Empire Strikes Back when Han Solo cuts open that creature and puts Luke inside.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

austen's picture

th wrote:
Clear noodles. I always think of that scene in The Empire Strikes Back when Han Solo cuts open that creature and puts Luke inside.

Oooh - the tauntaun! That makes me think of macaroni and cheese.

Kat's picture

austen wrote:
th wrote:
Clear noodles. I always think of that scene in The Empire Strikes Back when Han Solo cuts open that creature and puts Luke inside.

Oooh - the tauntaun! That makes me think of macaroni and cheese.

Well there goes dinner. Thanks Austen......

sdm's picture

Kat wrote:
austen wrote:
th wrote:
Clear noodles. I always think of that scene in The Empire Strikes Back when Han Solo cuts open that creature and puts Luke inside.

Oooh - the tauntaun! That makes me think of macaroni and cheese.

Well there goes dinner. Thanks Austen......

All I want is a box of Macaroni and Cheese now. Guess I know at least one thing on the menu for dinner tomorrow.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

Kenzo's picture

Ooo there's some thai dish that's almost all clear noodles. I want some now.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Leo's picture

Hmmmm, Thai food…

Mulvihill & Rushie LLC
The Fishtown Lawyers
Criminal Defense • Civil Trials
www.FishtownLaw.com
215.385.5291

Matt Benatar's picture

People with non age related farsightedness.

Love is a Mattlefield.