Pizzadelphia a/k/a/ Is the Chug Expanding?

So a couple of little birdies have noticed a PLCB placard at the Chug. I pulled up all license applications the past two months for 19125 and I've confirmed this is the case. I also see they have a history.

If you look at the bottom there are two closed citations by the PLCB in the past.

And here is the BRT/OPA account information for the property:

please god, no.

by expanding, if you mean knocking out the front window, then yes.

Pizzadelphia - can't wait to get this one on the "Good Food" thread!

Will they continue providing "other stuff" out of the new restaurant? It would be such a shame for the neighborhood to lose that resource. [/sf]

This application has been known about for quite awhile.
I was told about it by someone in law enforcement who wishes to oppose the expansion.

18-20 years in age? that says more about the stupid laws in this country than it does the chug (whatever that is)

I've definitely been the only person over 21 in there before, bartender included.

Since it is the same group of people involved, would it be any different than before?

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Pure_Fishtown wrote:

I keep hearing rumors that alcohol is easily whisked away from the chug and ends up in the hands of minors years after their last citation for it. That doesn't bode well.

And yes the 26th District is very much aware of it.

I'm just astounded that the citation uses "divers" in the manner it does.
Is that still a common usage in legal documents?
I've never seen it in any English language documents produced in the last 100 or more years.

Do you have to be 21 to bartend?

Do you have to be 21 to bartend?

No. You can be older.

I think codergrrl might actually be correct. (Don't everyone get all excited, now.) I think you only have to be 18 to bartend. I THINK.

vcap22's picture

Whats the deal with that bar anyway? I live on that block, but have never been in the bar. Its always pretty quiet, except there was a fight one night during the week around Christmas. Should I not venture in there for a drink?

If this was/is a complete owner & format change and really is gonna become a pizzaria; then I'll give the benefit of the doubt. But I still have furrowed eyebrows right now.

I'd love to hear an explanation from the owners what their intentions are with the place. I'll give this the rest of the week before I go trace all these folks' phone numbers down.

IIRC, 18 to bartend.

I was wondering because I celebrated my 21st birthday bartending. The only one surprised was the owner, (a completely straight up legit guy, RIP) who kinda did the math and realized that I'd been drinking in his bar for at least five years previously. I didn't think he would have hired me if he was breaking the law...but he obviously didn't know my age.

Ha! Coder - that happened to me too. In California I was 16 and lied about my age. Was a cocktail waitress, bartender and bar back for five years. Celebrated my 21st by getting up on stage with the house band, singing and doing shots...the manager freaked a little....but soon got over it ;) I seriously thought he knew already...lol

vcap22 wrote:

i only ever went in once. all the regulars stayed at the back and sent one guy over to ask us if we were cops. we finished our beers, bought a six pack and left. i haven't been back in there since.

1801's picture

I had heard they were looking for someone to open up the kitchen in the back. I guess this is it. Dont know why they would do pizza with Francos right down the street.

1801 wrote:

yeah, seems an odd choice. there are three pizza places in a 5 block radius.

I went in there to seek signatures for a petition to save a particular neighborhood resource that was slated to be closed a couple years back and was asked if I was a cop, too, although the intimidation didn't really end there. I won't go into the details, but let's just say I haven't gone back.

CrustyZombie's picture

I always wanted to place that check out

Don't you have to serve food to be open on Sunday?
Pizza is the easiest substitute that would qualify for food. Especially bar pizza.
But I really don't know if that Sunday law is still in effect.

1801 wrote:

Lack of creativity.

Sounds like it might be the hot new spot for Quizzo.

Sounds like it might be the hot new spot for Quizzo.

If I'm going to Quizzo in that place then I'm going to open carry.

Just sayin'.

ronchito's picture

CrustyZombie wrote:
I always wanted to place that check out

sounds like you just came from there

Don't you have to serve food to be open on Sunday?
But I really don't know if that Sunday law is still in effect.

atlantis doesn't serve food.

meredith wrote:
Don't you have to serve food to be open on Sunday?
But I really don't know if that Sunday law is still in effect.

atlantis doesn't serve food.

what do you think the free bagels are about?

Well, I do know some times they have food...I don't know if its considered "served".
Besides, how would I know, I'm on my knees in prayer on Sundays.

CrustyZombie's picture

I'm assuming that Atlantis applied for a Sunday sales permit?

actually, nevermind, in order to apply for a Sunday sales permit you must still make a minimum of 40% in sales on food and non-alcoholic beverages. there must be some sort of loophole. either that or PLCB just doesn't care to enforce it. Atlantis certainly isn't the only bar that does not serve food and is also open on Sundays!

Yeah, does Fritzie making a crock pot full of chicken wings or chili count?

Neilpuck's picture

ronchito wrote:
CrustyZombie wrote:
I always wanted to place that check out

sounds like you just came from there

Thank you for tomorrow. Enough said.

fuzzybottoms's picture

Anyone know anything more about the specifics of a Sunday sales permit?
(I'm not asking because I"m concerned about Atlantis or 99% of the other bars in the area. The nuisance bar near my house? That's another story).

CrustyZombie's picture

well this is strange, certain establishments are exempt from needing a license to serve liquor on Sundays, without having to quality for the 40% minimum of food or non-alcoholic drinks.

fuzzybottoms's picture

Is there a way to tell if a bar has a Sunday sales permit from looking at what Kenzo posted above?

CrustyZombie's picture

not entirely related, but found this while googling information on sunday sales permits;

was only a few years ago that no beer distributor could be open on sundays. they're currently allowed to be open until 5, soon to 9. same as for liquor/state stores.

I won't be happy until Philly has a Whole Foods that serves beer like the one in Plymouth Meeting, however.

Besides, how would I know, I'm on my knees in prayer on Sundays.

i guess their bloody marys could be considered a meal.

CrustyZombie wrote:

Trader Joe's in other states has their own brands of beer (I think one comes in a white can and just says: BEER - very clever) plus other interesting brands. All at fair prices. That would be a welcome development.

CrustyZombie's picture

I have heard about this. also, while I don't think it's their own vineyard or anything, they also have some decent wines by the bottle for only $5. a co-worker told me that you can now buy wine at the 24 hour Fresh Grocer at 40th and Walnut. of course you can only buy it until 9 PM, but still, baby steps.

CrustyZombie wrote:

they make a dos equis knock off in both light and dark called "Trader Jose's." it's not that bad.

stbenjamin's picture

CrustyZombie wrote:

Trade Joe's Belgian beer is actually Unibroue. Talk about a steal.

Two buck chuck (Charles shaw) used to actually be $2/bottle

stbenjamin wrote:
CrustyZombie wrote:

Trade Joe's Belgian beer is actually Unibroue. Talk about a steal.

Really??