Forum replies are now "newest first"

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way yet that lets you choose whether you want newest first or newest last.
While I prefer newest last, it seems most folks prefer newest first.
So, until I can find a way to let users choose, I'm afraid it's going to be "newest first".

Okay, forget that.
It doesn't play nice with the comment order.

"I like my way of doing it better than your way of not doing it." - D.L. Moody

I am all confused now. Never understood newer first. Do you also read books from end to beginning?

From welfare to Mayfair.

okay, happening again.
sheesh.

Susquehanna's picture

i'm guessing it's the way social media users like to (or have been forced to) read. i prefer newer last on desktop viewing, but i'm indifferent to it when using touch-enabled mobile browsers. what i like about this new fishtown.us is you click on "new" replies link and it takes you right to the new content. with new posts last, you'd have to scroll or click to the page on the old site.

stillLife's picture

Dislike

i prefer newest last. this reminds me of the india-wedding seinfeld episode.

DISLIKE.

NEW POSTS LAST PLZ.

I like it however the old message board was.

A. Jordan Rushie
Fishtown Neighbors Association - Vice President
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

Too confusing for my brain.

listen to the masses, dan! first-to-last, please!

meredith wrote:
listen to the masses, dan! first-to-last, please!

That's my favorite way to, but "the masses" seem to prefer the other way.
I'll take a poll. :)

meredith wrote:
listen to the masses, dan! first-to-last, please!

That's my favorite way to, but "the masses" seem to prefer the other way.
I'll take a poll. :)

perfect. th, you'd better not sabotage this.

How does Dan not hate every single one of us?

How does Dan not hate every single one of us?

he probably relies on god to do that for him. i'm fairly certain that, while i don't personally believe in god, if he or she does exist, i am probably on the hate list.

How does Dan not hate every single one of us?

you're making a mighty big presumption there. ;)

"I like my way of doing it better than your way of not doing it." - D.L. Moody

oh, man. team oldest-first is losing big time. you, th.

fuzzybottoms's picture

I'm just really lazy and hate scrolling to the bottom of the page to read the newest comment. Yes, I know it's a bit pathetic, but it's the truth. So I much prefer the newest first option.

Yeah, we're getting clobbered.

"I like my way of doing it better than your way of not doing it." - D.L. Moody

I like newest first.. makes it so much easier to justify an ignorant post based on not reading the whole thread first

fuzzybottoms wrote:

newest-first is good for when you're up to date on all of the threads, but when you have a lot of new posts to read, it's very confusing and annoying.

fuzzybottoms's picture

meredith wrote:
fuzzybottoms wrote:

It's easy to be up to date when I spend an inordinate amount of time on FT.us while at work.

Why can't we just go back to having the option on a personal level?

From welfare to Mayfair.

Why can't we just go back to having the option on a personal level?

Please read the original post in the thread.
You can even stop after the first sentence. :)
Thank you.

"I like my way of doing it better than your way of not doing it." - D.L. Moody

Why can't we just go back to having the option on a personal level?

Please read the original post in the thread.
You can even stop after the first sentence. :)
Thank you.

Sorry, the working theory among some of my friends is that I had a stroke this morning, so my reading is not up to par at the moment.

From welfare to Mayfair.

Why can't we just go back to having the option on a personal level?

Please read the original post in the thread.
You can even stop after the first sentence. :)
Thank you.

eh?

meredith wrote:
Why can't we just go back to having the option on a personal level?

Please read the original post in the thread.
You can even stop after the first sentence. :)
Thank you.

eh?

This morning I sneezed so hard I lost feeling in my legs. The most common response was that I had a stroke.

From welfare to Mayfair.

meredith wrote:
Why can't we just go back to having the option on a personal level?

Please read the original post in the thread.
You can even stop after the first sentence. :)
Thank you.

eh?

that's very strange.

meredith wrote:
meredith wrote:
Why can't we just go back to having the option on a personal level?

Please read the original post in the thread.
You can even stop after the first sentence. :)
Thank you.

eh?

that's very strange.

Pretty par for the course for me.

From welfare to Mayfair.

alcohol withdrawal can cause seizures. you didn't go to quizzo last night. i think the answer is obvious.

nothin' bring you down like your hometown.

Yeah I've been dry for a week. I put the money to good use and bought myself presents at Franklin Mills today.

From welfare to Mayfair.

you can facebook "like" a thread now?

nothin' bring you down like your hometown.

It might just be me, but I have no idea who is saying what now. I know its from someone of a certain group that I can identify by avatars, etc, but it looks much more confusing than how it looked yesterday.

i kind of agree with this. dan, can you put the quotes in a light blue color or something to separate them better from the reply?

The names are tucked away in the upper right which does make it a bit more difficult, but it's a small price to not have the forum look like it did yesterday.

From welfare to Mayfair.

50/50 now! we actually have a chance.

No, its backwards. Avatars on the wrong side.
Once someone posts, thats evident, but the replies are confusing.
Are you driving a cab now?

this avatar on the wrong side thing is giving me a headache

Maybe you pinched a nerve. I think if you had a stroke you'd lose feeling on one side of your body.

austen wrote:

Yeah, you didn't stroke out. Stick out your tongue and see if it deviates to one side or another, or have someone watch your eyes as you follow a target from right to left...if they're working together, your fine.
Walk it off...

austen wrote:

I've also sneezed myself blind before. That was fun.

From welfare to Mayfair.

I've also sneezed myself blind before. That was fun.

i thought i was the most violent sneezer i knew, but you win.

nothin' bring you down like your hometown.

austen wrote:

Walk it off...

You have now been diagnosed by two quizzo winners. Take as gospel.

newfish's picture

I think the avatars need to be moved back to a more prominent position.

you can facebook "like" a thread now?

that's pretty cool.

nothin' bring you down like your hometown.

that's pretty cool.

Ok, Miley.

From welfare to Mayfair.

I've also sneezed myself blind before. That was fun.

Has it occurred to you to see a doctor about this?

I saw Dr. Toboggan, Mantis Toboggan. He told me just to rub some Tussin on it and walk it off.

From welfare to Mayfair.

OK, you didn't get rid of me despite your best efforts. I should definitely go in the "oldest" category, however.

Does this new format have a 'Sumerian' option?

Frank Jones's picture

newest last please. With long posts you have to scroll up, then scroll down to read it, then scroll up past it.

Dan, why dont you change the text format option in the user settings to be a sort order option. that way you dont have to change the database and it is user specific. I would think default sort order is more important than text format and if you have to update drupal and forget to tie the original "text format" to "sort order" it would fail gracefully.

It is nice to be so privileged that you can be oblivious to a pretty popular stereotype in the canon of racism.

brooke's picture

Newest first would make more sense if the "add new comment" box was at the top. It doesn't make sense to enter a thread, go to the end of it to start reading it and when you get back up to the top, have to go to the bottom again to enter a comment.

I voted the wrong way--voted for newest first because apparently not working is eating my brain. (Back to work if all goes well on January 3).

Former attorney and current CITYSPACE real estate agent extraordinaire

Frank Jones's picture

Frank Jones wrote:

I'll do this if you want. Let me know.

Frank Jones wrote:
Frank Jones wrote:

I'll do this if you want. Let me know.

I'm wondering how.
It's not about any kind of database change at all.
I just haven't been able to find a "sort order" option for comments that is 7.x compatible and user-selectable.

Frank Jones's picture

It would be a custom thing. I know wordpress has a way to make customizations so updates don't destroy your customized bits. Drupal might have the same. But even if it does not you just customize it so that whatever value is in the "text formatting" option of the database affects sort order. Of course if you do this then you would have to have a default text formatting. Text formatting seems less important than sort order.

So what modules are you using with this? Or is it the default installation?

oh sweet mercy I was avoiding this thread, so I had to *go to page 2*, start there, and then read backwards.

That poll is bunk.

so, since we won, when will it be changed to oldest first?

All I can say is UGGGGHHH. Can we chose how the replies are viewed?

bonzombiekitty's picture

"newest last" is now winning the poll. Personally, I hate hate hate "newest first". If you miss a bunch of posts, you have to page forward, read down, scroll up, read down, go back a page, scroll up, read down...

It's counter intuitive.

The 3/5th supermajority wins. Comments are going back to "newest last".
Queues beat Stacks with the masses.

"I like my way of doing it better than your way of not doing it." - D.L. Moody

it makes a big difference if you are on a mobile device.

A big reminder to everybody -
If you are in the "Recent Posts" listing, go to the "Replies" column and click on "# new".
That will automatically skip you over the older posts to the newest ones.

A big reminder to everybody -
That will automatically skip you over the older posts to the newest one.

thank you!

it makes a big difference if you are on a mobile device.

I used the old site all the time from my phone with newest last and no issues.

From welfare to Mayfair.

Obviously you can use it with newest last but its a lot more scrolling. I also dislike having multiple pages to click through so I also had it set up with the maximum amount of posts per page (whatever that was). Clicking the '2 new' link was much smaller and required doing some zooming to reliably hit.

its not really a big deal either way, but 50/100 posts per page and newest first was the best combo of readability on both mobile and desktop devices, in my opinion.

I also dislike having multiple pages to click through so I also had it set up with the maximum amount of posts per page (whatever that was). .

I made that change just now when I switched to "oldest first". It's now 300 per page.
That's the same setting I used on the old site also.

"I like my way of doing it better than your way of not doing it." - D.L. Moody

yeah, i liked being able to have 100 posts a page.

nothin' bring you down like your hometown.

A big reminder to everybody -
That will automatically skip you over the older posts to the newest ones.

Thank you for this info. Makes it a lot easier than scrolling.

Is this our Christmas gift? :)

Pure_Fishtown wrote:
A big reminder to everybody -
That will automatically skip you over the older posts to the newest ones.

Thank you for this info. Makes it a lot easier than scrolling.

Is this our Christmas gift? :)

Actuallly, that feature has been part of the website for at least 5 years. :)

"I like my way of doing it better than your way of not doing it." - D.L. Moody

we now have to go through those stupid captchas for every post?

edit, or not? i had to put in a verification code when i posted on bozo's airport parking thread but none here. what gives?

the "quote" function isn't working.

nothin' bring you down like your hometown.

the "quote" function isn't working.

it seems to be for me.

meredith wrote:
the "quote" function isn't working.

it seems to be for me.

yeah, i think i may have been clicking "reply" instead. my bad.

nothin' bring you down like your hometown.

it is somewhat weird that the reply button exists at all, but I'm pretty sure Dan said he just doesnt know how to get rid of it yet.

we now have to go through those stupid captchas for every post?

Might be because you posted a link? It happened to me too on the massage thread, when I posted links.

Ugh I hate having to hold down PgDn now to read.

And try that on a Mac where there's no PgDn key.

Ugh I hate having to hold down PgDn now to read.

And try that on a Mac where there's no PgDn key.

Isn't it Cmd + down arrow, or Option + down arrow?

you just have to get used to clicking on the "3 new" link instead of the title link.