And the winner is.....

The nominees for best picture this year. Again, I've seen none of them. And quite honestly, have no desire to see any of them except for 'Moneyball', and 'The Artist'.
Any opinions?
Best Picture
• "The Artist"
• "The Descendants"
• "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"
• "The Help"
• "Hugo"
• "Midnight in Paris"
• "Moneyball"
• "The Tree of Life"
• "War Horse"

i watched midnight in paris. it was one of the 2 movies i watched in their entirety this year. it was pretty good, the cheese factor was really high.

someone was telling me the artist was good. i think the idea sounds interesting, still not too sure about a full length silent movie. i can barely stay awake through 1 hour tv shows.

nothin' bring you down like your hometown.

How does "Extremely Loud" get a best picture nomination when it only has a 48% on Rotten Tomatoes?

"I like my way of doing it better than your way of not doing it." - D.L. Moody

fuzzybottoms's picture

I haven't seen any of them either. We've talked about seeing Moneyball, but the rest do not appeal to me. I read the book "The Help" and thought it was meh. The previews didn't sell it for me.

Don't wanna see...
Extremely Loud...don't want to pay to feel bad.
War Horse...(spoiler alert), love horse movies, but only if the horse lives.
Hugo...oh Marty...Animation? Will probably watch anyway, and attribute to kids in the house.
The Decendants...George Clooney is like a spoonful of sugar, so its a maybe.
Tree of Life... Brad Pitt vanity project...I think not.
The Help...looks mediocre at best
Midnight in Paris...I dunno, I really haven't liked anything Woody Allen has done since Hannah and her Sisters...and I'm tired of watching them waiting for him to be funny again.

i'd like to see the descendents.

i just watched the tree of life, and i rated it three stars on netflix. it was a little too pretentious and slow. that said, it was kinda touching, in a noncreepy sort of way. however, i wouldn't see it again.

i loved midnight in paris!

meredith wrote:

Yea, that's kinda Terrence Malick's MO.

Watched MoneyBall last night. Good movie. Best of the year? Meh.

Yeah, "Days of Heaven" took days to get through.

I've only seen 3: Hugo, Midnight in Paris, Moneyball

Moneyball was my favorite of the three, but you have to expect a geek is gonna like a movie where you can win at sports because you're good at math. A pretty good movie, but not one I would label great.

MIdnight in Paris was a fun movie, but not earth-shattering. It was better than most of Allen's recent films, but that's setting the bar kind of low.

Was I the only person in the world who thought Hugo was just a mediocre movie? I saw the magic in the part of the movie that involved remembering what the early film studio was like - but for me most of the rest of the movie failed to be engaging in plot, character, and performance.

"I like my way of doing it better than your way of not doing it." - D.L. Moody

I saw The Help. I thought it was pretty good, and some of the performances were really outstanding.

However, Bryce Dallas Howard was in it, and while a deplorable character, was excellent.

Aaaww, I was hoping for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo because my boss' niece, Rooney Mara was in it.

Moneyball is surprising. I thought the movie was great, but unless you're really into baseball and sabermetrics I'm not sure it'd be as entertaining a film.

From welfare to Mayfair.

Pure_Fishtown wrote:

Um, she got nominated. For Best Actress.

Hugo is absolutely beautiful but I don't know about best picture.

I saw Midnite and while I loved the literary characters [Hemingway, Stein, etc] I hate the way Allen trots out the tired cliches every single movie -- the shallow, shrewish girlfriend...the pedantic academic...the wealthy snobby parents who disapprove of the affable protagonist...

Thanks, I didn't bother looking. I'll have to ask him if he is going since there will be no Super Bowl for him this year.

\

9/11 9/11 9/11!

I would not recommend The Descendants. I found the story line to be quite predictable and the first 45 minutes to be quite slow. The director relied heavily on the scenery in Hawaii to fill time. There were some touching moments associated with death and adressing the issue of modern DNRs. I don't think this movie would have gotten nearly the attention it did if Clooney wasn't the lead.

NB> I'm really picky when it comes to movies. I think most of what Hollywood churns out is crap.

Most of Hollywood does turn out crap. But I could watch George Clooney sit in a chair for two hours...no problem. He's my generations Cary Grant.

Atomic Larry's picture

Midnight in Paris was the only one I saw. It was Ok. Lighthearted and enjoyable but definitely not best picture worthy; and I'm a big Allen fan.... I heard Hugo was really good although I have no problem enjoying animated films of any kind.

I think you're right about Midnight in Paris but anything after Hanna and her Sisters... Seriously? Radio Days? Mighty Aphrodite? Crimes and Misdemeanors? (one of my top 5 films ever), Sweet and Lowdown? Vicky Christina Barcelona? (way better than 'Paris' IMO)

Radio Days was after Hannah...
Oh...my timeline must be screwedup.
And of course...Django is always a winner.

I just IMDB's him, and yeah you're right.
There's a couple of good ones. I did love Radio Days...I still walk around saying "Take the pipe".

Woody Allen hasn't made a decent movie since he married his daughter.

Yeah, I think that's what I was thinking/wishing...the old Woody Allen. I always loved "Take the Money and Run"..."I have a gub".

Atomic Larry's picture

Newcomer wrote:
Woody Allen hasn't made a decent movie since he married his daughter.

completely disagree. either you're not watching or your opinion is tainted by his personal life ...and married his ex-girlfriend's adopted adult daughter would be more accurate.

I've noticed it mentioned multiple times that Hugo was animated.
Um, it wasn't.

It has some digital effects, but it wasn't "animation".

"I like my way of doing it better than your way of not doing it." - D.L. Moody

Atomic Larry wrote:
Newcomer wrote:
Woody Allen hasn't made a decent movie since he married his daughter.

Allen's relationship with Mia Farrow ended when she discovered his nude photos of Soon Yi, her adopted daughter whom he later married. Since he never formally adopted her, you're right: she wasn't technically his daughter.
I've seen most of Allen's movies over the year and while a few are decent, most are mediocre and some are just unwatchable. Even with the star power he attracts, most of his movies are just average. Even Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem couldn't elevate Vicky, Christina, Barcelona into more than just a "cute" movie.

Susquehanna's picture

this is the first year i haven't seen any of them. i've gotten rather selective and think "it'll be nominated for best picture" so i wait for the Best Picture Marathon to see them all. the only one that offends me is Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. i've heard it's not a good translation of the overrated book (brings to mind Lovely Bones) and it's subject matter crass. i'm wondering if it'll supplant the Blind Side as the worst best pic nom i've ever seen.

Atomic Larry's picture

I know what Allen did or what was portrayed in the media anyway.... and yes it looks bad but we really don't know what happened. judge lest ye be judged and all that. and when you get right down to it they were two consenting adults. I still disagree with you on the quality of his movies. I thought 'barcelona' was excellent and i think he's as close to a genius filmaker as there is.

Thud's picture

I have seen all of these movies. I didn't used to see many movies at all but now you can buy them for a dollar on DVD at flea markets even while they are still showing them in the movie theaters. Plus you can make your own popcorn at home and that is really cheap too. I didn't like the Artist because I kept wondering why I couldn't hear the people talking. I thought my TV was broken and it was playing a radio station with old-timey music on it. Then I found out it was supposed to be that way and I felt cheated. I paid a whole dollar for a movie and they can't bother putting voices in it? What a ripoff!

I liked The Help. It inspired me. I want to hire some people to work in my house now.

Thud Fishington
email me!

Atomic Larry wrote:

We pretty much do know what happened: he married his ex-partner's daughter. That aside, he made great movies a couple of decades ago but nothing comparable since. Though Midnight in Paris is the best thing he's done in a while.

I liked Vicky Christina Barcelona but seriously -- Scarlett Johansson playing a brilliant academic? She was barely believable as a zoo keeper in We Bought A Zoo. At least Woody finally stopped playing the leading man.

Atomic Larry's picture

nope. The films I mention in my first post in this thread are all excellent, highly entertaining and often profound films, comparable with anything he did decades ago and surely better than any of the "Hollywood crap fests" typically made today. ...so now I'm curious. What are some of your favorite recently made films?

Mighty Aphrodite was Woody Lite. Crimes and Misdemeanors -- maybe my absolute favorite -- was done almost 20 years ago. If you want to argue that the worst of Woody is better than what's out there [Date Night, for example], I'm ok with that but I think he peaked in the 90s. Recent movies I've like are Melancholia, The Guard, Double Hour.

Thud wrote:

Impossible Thad!

I kind of wish Spiral would come back in his unadulterated form. Was there an era when Frank, Spiral and Stein were on here at the same time? I may have purposefully erased it from my fishtown.us archives.

Atomic Larry's picture

goodness I looked up Crimes and Misdemeanors and it was 1989! ....but I think all the others were made after he married his daughter so I guess i was focusing on that. Never heard of the movies you mention I will try and check them out.

Admittedly, aside from barcelona and midnight in paris, I have not seen the films he made in the last few years but they seemed to have gotten some acclaim. All that said I still consider him a great and prolific filmaker so dont be hatin' on Woody. Wiki says he's returning to acting in his next movie. I hope you're excited!

Jeez, nobody mentioned Woody's 1973 "Sleeper"??? I was little but remember my dad falling off his chair laughing when they unwrapped him like a baked potato. He was probably drunk too but he WAS laughing really hard.

Atomic Larry wrote:

I'll give you prolific but, ok.

Atomic Larry wrote:
Wiki says he's returning to acting in his next movie. I hope you're excited!

Y E S!

Did you see Polanski's "Carnage"? Not at all what I would have expected.

I know it wasn't nominated for anything but has anyone seen Drive? Holy Smokes. Made Animal Kingdom look like a Disney film.

I'd like to see Drive but I don't buy into that Ryan Gosling as an actor.

From welfare to Mayfair.

Newcomer wrote:

Yea. Watched it twice last week. It blew me away.

That same director made Pusher I - III. I just finished the third one last night. Really amazing movies. Disturbing, but amazing.

Gosling is great in Drive. As he was in Blue Valentine, All Good Things, and the weird Lars and the Real Girl.

I'd like to see Drive but I don't buy into that Ryan Gosling as an actor.

His pretty face and mild demeanor set up the last third of the movie and make it that much more shocking.

I'd like to see Drive but I don't buy into that Ryan Gosling as an actor.

Exactly. I'm still a little stunned by what happened in the elevator.

I dunno, he was pretty convincing in "Half Nelson"... you can't always trust a pretty face.

Oh, right. I forgot about that. Forgettable movie but I thought he was good.

Newcomer wrote:

I saw "Drive" last night, mostly because of the post, it kinda piqued my interest. I gotta say I found it in need of editing. Might just be me, but I thought the first hour was tedious, and the plot entirely unoriginal. I knew what was, in essence, going to happen as soon as he asked about the kids father. I felt the scenes went on entirely too long, and the pacing was too slow for my taste. Something has to grab me right away, I'm too impatient. I found it very predictable. I will say, however, that Albert Brooks stole the movie. I love him anyway, but I found his performance fierce.
I liked "Animal Kingdom" much more.

I liked the pace -- added to the build-up. And sure, one could probably guess about outcomes but what movie entirely surprises?

Thats true, not many things entirely surprise nowadays. They always say there are like only five plots in Hollywood, and everything is just a variation on the theme...that being said, I think thats why I hardly watch most movies anymore. When one comes along that does surprise you, its great.
I long for the feeling I had when I first saw "Pulp Fiction" or "The Usual Suspects", when you knew that you were watching a game changer. Just doesn't happen much anymore. I've almost entirely given up on American mainstream filmmakers, instead I seek out imports or even docs, as alot of the Indie stuff is lacking as well.

Frank Jones's picture

I also thought Hugo was not very good. Hollywood loves Hollywood, overacted (except for the Sacha Barron Cohen character who was very good) and kind of boring. Moneyball and Midnight in Paris were good but not excellent. Maybe this is like 2006 when the best movies were only just OK.

It is nice to be so privileged that you can be oblivious to a pretty popular stereotype in the canon of racism.

KingDingAling's picture

Drive is film noir. Most film noir movies are paced similarly. I loved Drive, found it to be excellent in its simplicity. Hollywood oftentimes finds it necessary to bombard us with special effects because they can so its refreshing to see a good movie with little to no special effects.

When the king speaks, fishtown.us would be wise to listen.

KingDingAling wrote:
Drive is film noir. Most film noir movies are paced similarly.

I'm familiar with the genre, however, it was no "Blood Simple", which I consider one of the best pieces of film noir since the 40's, when it was in its prime. (See "The Killers", "The Maltese Falcon", etc.)

Oh -- I got one for you: Double Hour. French movie. Get it.

Newcomer wrote:

Oh -- I got one for you: Double Hour. French movie. Get it.

Thanks, I will.

I also enjoyed the pacing of Drive. But then again, one of my all time favorite movies is 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Anyone see "the Killing" by Kubrick? I'm a big Sterling Hayden fan. Some of the scenes, especially the rooftop chase really reminded me of his later stuff in 2001, and the Shinning because it felt so vast and isolated.

Another very slow movie I really enjoyed was "The Conversation" by Francis Ford Coppola with Gene Hackman.

There isn't any list of good noir movies that "The Killing" is not on.

Newcomer wrote:

Oh -- I got one for you: Double Hour. French movie. Get it.

Thanks, I will.

Sorry -- it might be Italian. I can't remember. I never saw The Killing.

I don't even know which entry won, but the Oscar nominated short animated films are really great and still playing at the Ritz. Shocking how many people are involved in making a 10-minute Pixar.