Someone really, really hates pancakes

Burglars attempt to set the Port Richmond IHOP on fire...

I didn't think anyone could hate pancakes more than me, but here we are.

rgb's picture

Maybe some thugs from Denny's?

that would have been a hotcake holocaust (incidentally that is probably the name of their next promotion)

I didn't think anyone could hate pancakes more than me, but here we are.

Suddenly, I don't feel so alone in this world and finally have the courage to stand up and say it.

I hate pancakes, too.

It always amazed me that an entire restaurant empire was based on eggs and milk, and flour.

Not a fan. But I really want to try Meme's corn pancakes with maple butter and frois gras.

Doesn't IHOP also put pancake batter in the scrambled eggs/omlettes too?

That always made me scratch my head.

Their food is marginal, loaded with fat and expensive. Their pancakes are rubbery. Can't stand the place. Not enough to burn it down however.

Pancakes are the absolutely last thing I want away from home. I hate ever ordering anything I can make better myself. It's like going out and ordering spaghetti.

You'd think with a name like that, IHOP would be full of cosmopolitan intrigue. Perhaps some EU ministers arguing fiscal policy over their chocolate chip waffles or shadowy North Korean and Iranian operatives hammering out an arms for cash deal between bites of their "Cinn-A-Stack" pancakes.

"International" House of Pancakes, indeed. All I see is a bunch of fat people in flannel.

george wrote:

c'mon, it's better than the waffle house. those places are horrifying.

Breakfast should not have whipped cream on it.

Breakfast should not have whipped cream on it.

If it doesn't include eggs and meat I'm not even sure what the point of eating breakfast is.

Breakfast should not have whipped cream on it.

While IHOP is a lovely example of Americans liking things that are not real food, I find the rampant flapjack desecration to be pure and utter heresy. There are small bits of heaven to be found in a fresh blueberry hotcake from scratch. And if you cant realize that, may the lord condemn you to an eternity of griddle based slavery.

I already have lived an eternity of griddle based slavery. (I make a mean pancake, I just can't see going out for them.)

c'mon, it's better than the waffle house. those places are horrifying.

Don't you mean 'Awful House?' Or is it 'Offal House?' Either way, yeah.

I was at one in East Toadstool, Georgia or someplace like that where even a simple request for a plain egg sandwich on wheat toast resulted in a ball of grease wrapped in cellophane. Mmmmm!

But the South usually has a Steak 'n Shake nearby, so who needs 'em?

george wrote:
c'mon, it's better than the waffle house. those places are horrifying.

Don't you mean 'Awful House?' Or is it 'Offal House?' Either way, yeah.

But the South usually has a Steak 'n Shake nearby, so who needs 'em?

At least it's not a Shoney's.

brooke's picture

Exactly.

Former attorney and current CITYSPACE real estate agent extraordinaire

george wrote:

Now don't be dissin' fat people in flannel!!!
If you look around the world, we're slowly becoming the default standard.

Thud's picture

I don't understand how anybody can hate pancakes this much. Pancakes are cheap and they taste good and you can put syrup on them. Anything is good that you can put syrup on. I like blueberry syrup but it's okay if you like maple because that's what most people like. So please stop setting fire to pancakes. Set fire to alfalfa sprouts. They ruin good food when they put alfalfa sprouts on it.

Thud Fishington
email me!

Susquehanna's picture

i usually get the crepes at IHOP. the last time i tried ordering them i got screwed out of making them "international" and had to choose one of the styles. sorta counter to the name of the place, no?
when i moved back here at the turn of the millennium, i was excited about the Rittenhouse IHOP.
then it closed right before my move in. 10 years later they opened a new one half a block from my old apartment. timing!
as for this "Awful House" nonsense… i love waffle house. i've pilgrimaged all over the south for them. i'll be back at one in a couple weeks.

Susquehanna's picture

For the waffle house lovers: they're pulling a white castle and offering a candle lit dinner and tablecloth service for valentine's day. Make your reservation: