2 dead, 1 injured striking util pole @ Girard/Richmond St.

don't drink and drive, kids

FishtownYo's picture

don't drink and drive, kids

The article state they were coming home from work. I assumed drinking at first and still wont be surprised if it were involved, but people drive like s down Richmond all the time, drunk or sober.

What is so bad about religion is that it fosters a primitive form of morality that hinders progress in virtually any domain beneficial to our modern world.

I had to give directions from the back seat to someone not from the area, to get home from the Girard exit of 95, after coming over the Ben Franklin, and it was really kinda iffy even for me, who knows the streets around here. They have Delaware Ave all blocked off into one lane each direction, with orange barrels, and the first thing I thought was, "Man, somebodys gonna plow into this before the weekend is over".
Also this...I was wondering if this was one of those goofballs who so love popping the wheelies, or going 100 mph along Aramingo.
(TRIED TO POST LINK, BUT SITE WOULD NOT ACCEPT THE CORRECT WORD VERIFICATION. VISUAL AND AUDIO ARE NOT WORKING.
Long story short, some poor guy pulling out of Wawa killed a motorcylist on Aramingo. I believe it was Friday night.

Susquehanna's picture

Having not driven that stretch this past month until last night, I thought the same thing. People drove crazy there before construction. now, with the crammed single lanes, i was anxious to get off Richmond. Single car accident, 3am: all I can think is DUI, even after the work mention. If not, it'd be a shame if road remapping was the main factor.

FISHTOWN - January 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have released the names of the driver and passenger killed when their vehicle struck a utility pole in Fishtown early Sunday morning.

Annette Nash and Daniel Cordero - both 45-years-old - were killed in the crash.

It happened around 3:45 Sunday morning at the intersection of Girard Avenue and Richmond Street.

The verification no longer works for me either.

floppysoles's picture

Speed Kills

Here I sit broken hearted, paid a quarter and only farted.

Cutter's picture

Seen some people put up teddy bears and flowers on that pole. I never understood why people do that, decorate and shower gifts to the pole that killed their family/friend(s).

Cutter wrote:

I see the emotional need for a memorial but then at some point it gets ridiculous.

Perfect example was across from 5383 Frankford Avenue. Dude was assassinated at this spot. At first, it was a picture of the deceased on the pole and some flowers on the ground. Then teddy bears were added.

Then a week later, a desk was moved out to the utility pole and a very complicated rosary was set up. It would rain, hail, sleet and snow, it was getting pretty fugly. The thing deteriorated to the point where it didn't look that much different than the detritus already on the ground. Ceder Hill Cemetery I think let it sit there and fester for 2 1/2 years before it was finally gotten rid of.

Some more pictures were added at some point, and I started to wonder because it's so close to the shooting gallery over on Bridge Street--what did "Papi" do to get shot? I walked past that memorial on foot every day for years, since it's on the main drag between Mayfair and Frankford, morning noon and night... and I never got shot.

I consider Frankford Avenue to be the sanest part of Frankford; the whole length of it. His shooting wasn't random, that's for sure.

RIP Papi. I'm sure you were a loving father. Your kids miss you.

A desk? Maybe Papi had a desk job?

Cutter's picture

Next thing you'll see is some papi's beloved couch posted up on a light pole. Also, I don't understand 50-car funeral processions that block up streets. Seems kinda barbaric to parade a corpse around town.

They're not parading around town. Usually just going from funeral parlor to cemetery. Ever ride through a Latino neighborhood while in one of those processions?...every single person stops and makes the sign of the cross.

It didn't bother me until the desk and some of the teddybears were blocking the pavement. Then one icy night the 66 was shut down and I had to walk up that hill and it was solid ice and I fell on that memorial. Sorry, Papi.

I'm sure it's gone by now but after the first year of it being up I'd pay attention to it each time I walked past it to see if there were any little changes or adjustments to it. I think that's when it's no longer a memorial but a shrine.

That's a Southern tradition too. I grew up in a Hispanic majority town and so did a good chunk of my family. Slow-roll procession. When one of them passes by you it's customary to pull your car over, or if you're walking past, to stop and take your hat off and wait until it passes.

New Orleans funeral processions though are the best.

I want a jazz funeral.

I want a football shaped urn, so I can still play with the grandkids.

We were taught to bless ourselves when a funeral procession passed. There was once a time when a funeral procession was passing; all cars pulled over to the side and let it pass. Not like today when drivers can't wait and cut into the procession.

It was just a sign of respect.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

doyne29's picture

It is also an Irish tradition to drive by the deceased house as a final goodbye. Having 50+ cars is not barbaric, it shows the person was deeply loved and had an impact on people.

I want a football shaped urn, so I can still play with the grandkids.

Comment of the day

stbenjamin's picture

I'm always respectful of a funeral procession driving on normal roads, but when theyput 40 cars on 676 and merge onto 95 around 3pm, sorry but you aren't going to stay together and it's a jerk move to even try. Funeral processions have no place on highways, at that point you are just driving to the cemetery.

Landj's picture

When I lose my mother and we have to take her to her resting place I would appreciate some sympathy. Maybe a wave, a cross, moving to the side, some respect.. I promise to do the same for you. Seriously, how often does someone else's funeral actually mess up your days plans?

AM's picture

I live across from Palmer Cemetary and there are a lot of young kids who live on the block. There was a funeral procession coming up the street and headed to the cemetary and my neighbor made her young girls stop playing and stand quietly until the procession of cars went by. I thought that was so sweet. They continue to grow into some of the most respectful kids I know. Some things are just done to show empathy. It's nice to see that parents take the time to teach their children these things.

"Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone . . . "

I remember not too long ago, when a neighborhood guy died. They carried his coffin from the undertaker's to the cemetery. I liked that.
Mostly, and I'll put it in writing here, because no one else will listen...
I want a big party at the Ukie Club...and if you cry you have to leave.

Cutter's picture

Just saying if my mother passes, I'm not gonna hold up anyone's day with 50 cars. People who don't know her needn't be bothered. The funeral isn't the problem, if you think I think transporting coffin is the issue, it's the unbreakable 3 mile line of cars that run reds just because they need to be in line. Yes, I'm late for things when this happens, so it does disrupt my day, which makes me less respectful. Why can't they just drive normally to the funeral, I'll wave to the lone Hearst.

Landj's picture

Cutter - maybe you could take that up with local legislation.

Until then - Pennsylvania. The law allows vehicles in a funeral procession to proceed past a red light or stop sign if the lead vehicle entered the intersection while the light was still green or if it made a full stop at the stop sign. Each vehicle in the procession must have its headlights lit, emergency flashers on, and a flag or other insignia indicating it is part of the procession. They must yield the right-of-way to emergency vehicles (75 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 3107).

I find it interesting that you want people to respect your need to get to where you are going, but you don't want to respect theirs. So be it.

I was inadvertently caught in Jackie Gleason's funeral procession and couldn't escape it for most of the route because of motorcycle cops on each side of me.

I have nothing else to add to this conversation.

We haven't had a good funeral procession around here since Big Frank keeled over.
My dad videotaped it. I kid you not.

I'm only freaked out by open caskets...processions can do what they want. Respect, yo.

stbenjamin's picture

Landj wrote:

It's a serious safety hazard. Cars are traveling at 55+ and merging from all directions. You can't always see the head of the procession, and not everyone puts on their blinkers. It is just a mess. I said I was respectful on slower speed roads but it just doesn't work on the highway.

Landj's picture

stbenjamin - if you break through any cars that are traveling together, it isnt a sin, but you can easily just switch to the next lane, right? i dont mean on a highway to stop and pull over, i meant that on side roads..

there are plenty of other annoyances on 55+ roads that we can take our rage out on. take for instance trucks carrying heavy small objects (gravel, salt, etc) that seem to fly out every few minutes. :)

stbenjamin's picture

Landj wrote:

Oh, any time I end up in the middle on a regular road (even somewhere busy like 352 in the burbs) I feel like a jerk and get out of the way. One time I got stuck in the middle of the 3-2-1 merge on 676 getting on 95 N and the guy in the procession behind me was raging but I and the other drivers had nowhere to go. The backup on 676 if we all stopped and waited wouldn't have cleared for ages.

I agree with stbenjamin here. if the idea of a funeral procession is a slow somber drive from the location of the services to the location of the burial, the procession should take surface streets and not limited access expressways. if getting the deceased into the ground as quickly as possible so that everyone can get on with their lives is what is most important than by all means take the highway, but dont bother with the procession.