Kittens... Im sorry....

Forums:

So... My indoor kitten, just over a year old..... is pregnant. I am assuming she is atleast. Her nipples are big, she is lazy, and she is a thin runt, but she CLEARLY has a large stomach that is wide rather than fat and low. My point is:
I have no idea what to do with a pregnant cat, or kittens. Resources would be nice. I would appreciate it. If you know anyone who would like kittens, please let me know.

DaniM's picture

Before anyone mentions this: I AM WELL AWARE OF MY IRRESPONSIBILITY i should have had my cat spayed. She is at a large risk for problems. I am frightened for her, and concerned, and disappointed in myself for the procrastination.... That being said, Advice and tips please, I don't want a litter of SPCA cats.

Southbounddown's picture

Why didn't you have your cat spayed?

Edit - You must've put that second post when I posted mine.

If you have an indoor kitten how did she come across a non-neutered male cat?

The spca is already filled with strays. Responsibility with any living thing gives you GREAT responsibility. There is no silver bullet for your negligence.

Children are awful dogs

sdm's picture

Just call your vet tomorrow morning. The Internet is not a good resource for anything that is actually important.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses's picture

DaniM wrote:
Before anyone mentions this: I AM WELL AWARE OF MY IRRESPONSIBILITY i should have had my cat spayed. She is at a large risk for problems. I am frightened for her, and concerned, and disappointed in myself for the procrastination.... That being said, Advice and tips please, I don't want a litter of SPCA cats.

I would just take her to the vet to find out what your options are.

Ugh.

dan

I'm surprised nobody has found a way to blame the Susan G Komen foundation for this yet.

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

george's picture

I think a scarlet letter is in order. Maybe a public flogging, too.

Kenzo's picture

Time for an abortion.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

rinobio's picture

There are several resources available to you., also the spay can be done although kitty is impregnated.
Its Is truly kinder to spay her now than later. I would be happy to advise you if I can in anyway
Below are several services which provide low cost vet care.
Phillycats.org low cost spay neuter
http://operationava.org - offers low cost spay neuter
Hope animal resource center - low cost spay neuter
Girard Animal Vet Clinic-http://girardvetphila.com/default.aspx

Kat's picture

DaniM wrote:
Before anyone mentions this: I AM WELL AWARE OF MY IRRESPONSIBILITY i should have had my cat spayed. She is at a large risk for problems. I am frightened for her, and concerned, and disappointed in myself for the procrastination.... That being said, Advice and tips please, I don't want a litter of SPCA cats.

Dani, it happens. I'm sorry for this. It does NOT make you a bad person.

rinobio's picture

Everyone makes mistakes the important thing is to own them - call girard vet tell them whats up - you can get a spay cert from Morris Animal Refuge which will make it a lower cost.

Susan's picture

I just had our little Chica spayed at PAWS in SW Philly. She had 2 vaccines, surgery and a collar for $82. They had me come back for her in 2 hrs... in the snow a few Saturdays ago.

I remember helping my cat have kittens when I was about 12, it was pretty awesome.
Good luck finding homes or a doctor who can 'take care of your little problem'.

DaniM's picture

Thank You for the link. I have an appt made already for the vet. But it is nice to see what options are for finding homes for cats. If it is a small litter I am fine, and I heard that first time litters are small. I will take 2 and a friend would like one, but if there are more, I will have to find more homes.

rinobio's picture

Dani,
i don't mean to sound harsh but to be blunt there are not options which are legitimate here. for each one born one dies like it or not.
Here are some of the stats for ACCT one of the shelters in Philadelphia for 2011,
http://www.acctphilly.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/2011-Year-End.pdf
I am not showing you this to make you feel bad but to ensure you understand that spaying your cat is the safest option for her medically and you ethically and financially. The reality past the # of kittens in the litter is that if mommy has birthing issues or the kittens are born deformed are you prepared to pay for that? Its VERY possible and very potentially costly. Secondly I have lots of experience in the kitty placing dept and I am here to tell you its basically a full time job, and you are legally and ethically obligated to spay/neuter each kitten and provide beginner vaccines. For each one born one dies, please consider the full ramifications of not spaying your kitty before she gives birth, I HIGHLY encourage you to do this.

Misfitz's picture

I think Dani understands what is important and I think Rinobio is actually posting this to make her feel bad. Dani very explicitly stated that she is responsible for this mistake previously. Let it go, she knows it wasn't the best thing that could have happened. It's pretty obvious what your intentions are in this post.

"Save me Jebus!!"

rinobio's picture

Wow really ? I HAVE DEDICATED MY LIFE to PREVENTING KITTENS and I know Dani has worked really hard to get her rescue puppy acclimated and so NO I actually really like Dani M - and if thats what she felt I was getting at then I apologize to her. I shared the stats ON THIS PUBLIC FORUM for all to see, so that everyone understands the significance of the numbers. Bringing unnecessary unhomed pets in to the city is a big deal and I am one of the people who winds dealing with it when people are irresponsible- I am one of the people who winds up sobbing in the shelter parking lot because I can't take all the cute lil furballs home and by leaving them behind I know they will be killed. ( and I am not pointing fingers here but I am trying to blunt and honest as I can)

And If I ultimately seem like I get really upset about it I DO! I have worked COUNTLESS hours to prevent unwanted cats. I said we all make mistakes and thats the truth - being up front about the best solution is what grown ups do.

My offer to help in any way with out any intention of being judgmental stands - it happens all the time I understand that, I live in grown up land where there not only consequences for actions but also responsible kind compassionate, tangible solutions - thats what I going for.

Misfitz's picture

If it wasn't directed at her...then why did you direct at her? That's great if you want to make a separate post for that information on a public forum, but it just seemed kind of rude to me. It did to you too, or else you wouldn't have had a prelude before the rant saying "I don't mean to sound harsh or blunt"...in most situations, when someone says that...that is actually what they are trying to do.

My mother has long been a cat, kitten, dog and puppy rescuer, foster and care giver. I grew up with it, and I do it to this day, I can't even tell you how many animals I've fostered, rehabilitated, and found homes for, but it doesn't make me better, or smarter or in any position to lay down what looks like a public reprimand.

"Save me Jebus!!"

Lauraska's picture

First, as someone who knows Rinobio, personally, I can say that she's the last person to judge. So calm your horses, there, Misfitz.

Rinobio isn't judgmental. But I sure as hell am, so I'll just say it: you don't have to be the world's most awesomest fostering, cat rescuing, dog loving animal activist to know that you should get your freakin' pets fixed when you live in the city. It's irresponsible not to do it. It's inhumane to put animals through homelessness and at worst, through euthanizations. We have enough idiots in this city who mistreat animals, act as if they are temporary members of their household, and generally treat cats and dogs like breathing pinatas. Those of us who know better should be DOING things like getting our animals neutered/spayed and not letting in-house animals wander around outside. It's the courteous, humane, and just plain polite thing to do. Period.

Now, we all make mistakes. Dani admitted that she neglected to get this mama kitty fixed. Rinobio was trying to offer alternatives, while also stressing what needed to be done going forward. No judgment from her. I'll take the heat for that.

brooke's picture

Okay: non-cat owner here asking a serious question: am I to read that it's possible to have a kitty abortion by getting a cat spayed during the cat's pregnancy? Or am I totally misunderstanding Rinobio?

Former attorney and current CITYSPACE real estate agent extraordinaire

Matt Benatar's picture

Take this as the thought-provoking conversation-stimulating question that it is meant to be:
Is it most humane to rescue a cat, only to feed it other animals every day for several years, versus letting it be euthanized?
I ask this as a dog-owner, who feeds my dog other less fortunate animals every day, so I'm not looking down my nose. Rather, I am asking if any of it is even worth it to go through such hoops to rescue a house full of animals facing euthanization due to overpopulation, from an ethical standpoint? Peta gets flack for euthanizing animals, and it is one issue where I see their point.

Love is a Mattlefield.

2BigDogs's picture

Yes, it is possible (and routinely done) to have a cat spayed during pregnancy to prevent the birth of an unwanted litter.

How I spend my time:
www.sitstayrun.com
www.dogguide.net

Misfitz's picture

Lauraska wrote:
First, as someone who knows Rinobio, personally, I can say that she's the last person to judge. So calm your horses, there, Misfitz.

Rinobio isn't judgmental. But I sure as hell am, so I'll just say it: you don't have to be the world's most awesomest fostering, cat rescuing, dog loving animal activist to know that you should get your freakin' pets fixed when you live in the city. It's irresponsible not to do it. It's inhumane to put animals through homelessness and at worst, through euthanizations. We have enough idiots in this city who mistreat animals, act as if they are temporary members of their household, and generally treat cats and dogs like breathing pinatas. Those of us who know better should be DOING things like getting our animals neutered/spayed and not letting in-house animals wander around outside. It's the courteous, humane, and just plain polite thing to do. Period.

Now, we all make mistakes. Dani admitted that she neglected to get this mama kitty fixed. Rinobio was trying to offer alternatives, while also stressing what needed to be done going forward. No judgment from her. I'll take the heat for that.

I really don't have an untamed horses here. I didn't go on any rants or use ALL CAPS LIKE I'M SCREAMING ON THE INTERNET. I was only stating, as I said, that I don't think Dani needed the obvious pointed out to her and in that way. She already said she wasn't looking for being reprimanded and knew that she made a mistake, only an answer to her simple question.

"Save me Jebus!!"

brooke's picture

2BigDogs wrote:
Yes, it is possible (and routinely done) to have a cat spayed during pregnancy to prevent the birth of an unwanted litter.

This seems like an obvious answer then. I'm assuming that a D&C needs to be done to remove the kitten fetuses? Ugh. Gross to think about but better than the thought of all the animals that get put down in the shelter and all the cats roaming the streets without homes. People treat dogs like garbage but cats really get treated worse than garbage.

Former attorney and current CITYSPACE real estate agent extraordinaire

Laurie's picture

Actually, Brooke, a spay involves taking the entire uterus out (as well as ovaries), so if there are kittens in there, they come out too, still inside the uterus. Spaying an animal is also known as an ovariohysterectomy.

brooke's picture

Ah--thanks for the clarification.

Former attorney and current CITYSPACE real estate agent extraordinaire

codergrrl's picture

brooke wrote:
Ah--thanks for the clarification.

And it would be a D&E, dilatation and evacuation as opposed to a D&C, which is a dilatation and curretage. (or a dusting and cleaning as I've heard gyno's refer to it!)

"Je Suis Prest"

lighterthief's picture

Matt Benatar wrote:
Is it most humane to rescue a cat, only to feed it other animals every day for several years, versus letting it be euthanized?
I ask this as a dog-owner, who feeds my dog other less fortunate animals every day, so I'm not looking down my nose. Rather, I am asking if any of it is even worth it to go through such hoops to rescue a house full of animals facing euthanization due to overpopulation, from an ethical standpoint?

well for me there is a difference between animals bred for companionship vs food also I assume that my pets in general are eating the by products or rejects of animals ate by humans weather it is a homemade bone broth or processed dog/cat food. Cows and Pigs are cute but they are also super tasty and were bred by humans for tasty eats. Dogs and Cats are companion or working animals. Human's bred them and should be responsible to them, sorry creationists.

Empty factories to the east and all our waste
The shape of things that came shows on the broken workers face

DaniM's picture

Im not offended. By anyone on this page. I know this is a very passionate forum, and I am thick skinned enough to be able weed through the snark to get to the advice. If cat's is your life, than you are the person I want to talk to. As it turns out though, she wasn't pregnant. As confirmed by a VET, she had worms. She is such a scrawny cat that the distended stomach looked like pregnancy and I jumped the gun. She is currently medicated for a de worming, and I am waiting for her to get back to normal and will get her spayed, thanks to this little fiasco Im not putting that off anymore.

rinobio wrote:
Wow really ? I HAVE DEDICATED MY LIFE to PREVENTING KITTENS and I know Dani has worked really hard to get her rescue puppy acclimated and so NO I actually really like Dani M - and if thats what she felt I was getting at then I apologize to her. I shared the stats ON THIS PUBLIC FORUM for all to see, so that everyone understands the significance of the numbers. Bringing unnecessary unhomed pets in to the city is a big deal and I am one of the people who winds dealing with it when people are irresponsible- I am one of the people who winds up sobbing in the shelter parking lot because I can't take all the cute lil furballs home and by leaving them behind I know they will be killed. ( and I am not pointing fingers here but I am trying to blunt and honest as I can)

And If I ultimately seem like I get really upset about it I DO! I have worked COUNTLESS hours to prevent unwanted cats. I said we all make mistakes and thats the truth - being up front about the best solution is what grown ups do.

My offer to help in any way with out any intention of being judgmental stands - it happens all the time I understand that, I live in grown up land where there not only consequences for actions but also responsible kind compassionate, tangible solutions - thats what I going for.

Lauraska's picture

Dani, you totally did the right thing by getting it checked out. Hope your kitty gets better soon.

rinobio's picture

Great news Dani! That is a lot easier to treat for certain =), and you would be far from the last person to be on the wrong side of what those symptoms meant! =)
I would recommend if your vet has not defleaing your feline lady as the two are generally linked.
When you get your kitty spayed you should take the opportunity to microchip her so she would be scanned if she got picked up and thrown in the kitty slammer and returned back to you.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.need any help or need any guidance with getting the lady fixed. My offer to spay/neuter any animal any time any where stands =)

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses's picture

Good news. I hope she feels better soon.

Ugh.