o'reilly's up for sale

so i guess this is why they're planning on doing the renovations...

the text from the listing:

Great business opportunity. Sale includes restaurant, bar, up to 20 car parking (lot is on the side of the property) and 3 apartments. Restaurant - Bar is in great condition with about 30 stools, Restaurant has seating up to 150, irregular layout with seperate dining area and a dedicated location for a d.j,(this area is great for private parties), side exit door that leads to a patio with outdoor seating. all equipment is in good working order. newer computerized register system, 2 seperate rooms both with pool tables one of them leads to the out door patio with seating. there are 3 Restrooms on this floor. Basement is for storage and mechanicals,… walk in box. Apartment entrance is on lehigh. There is 1 efficency and 2, 1 bedroom apartments. projected rental income is 1825.00. the 3rd floor unit is rented out for 700.00 a month.

Now I'm torn, do I buy the bar or the church?
This will be interesting to watch. Somebody could make a fortune in that place. I think they just need deep pockets to redo the place.

new kenzo's picture

it's still on the far fringe of the area. Most of the kenzo's Ive met that live near it are pretty shady. Some of them troll on-line sites for (often disappointing) witty banter opportunities and dress like hipsters....

"vinegar of lil richard ninja" , yo

Maybe I can buy it if I save up all of my quizzo certificates.

new kenzo wrote:

i can't help but be personally insulted by this. you best hope it stays open or else we're going to be back at atlantis and you'll have to deal with us in person.

This is not really new news. He asks me if I want to buy the place at least once a month.

new kenzo wrote:

He's a known hater. And I'll quit drinking before I start going to Atlantis.

new kenzo wrote:

He's a known hater. And I'll quit drinking before I start going to Atlantis.

actually meredith said she had a quite pleasant experience at perry's last evening.

new kenzo wrote:

He's a known hater. And I'll quit drinking before I start going to Atlantis.

sdm, perry's is your kind of place. smoking bar, not crowded. and perry is awesome. i think we might need to make this our new go-to watering hole.

new kenzo wrote:

He's a known hater. And I'll quit drinking before I start going to Atlantis.

I can't go back to hanging out in bars that allow smoking.

did you see if it was a shuffleboard table or one of those bar bowling tables?

meredith wrote:
new kenzo wrote:

He's a known hater. And I'll quit drinking before I start going to Atlantis.

Thanks for the invite. I'll try and check it out this weekend.

did you see if it was a shuffleboard table or one of those bar bowling tables?

it looked like shuffleboard, but i didn't get a close-up look.

new kenzo wrote:

He's a known hater. And I'll quit drinking before I start going to Atlantis.

I can't go back to hanging out in bars that allow smoking.

your wife seemed to enjoy it last night.

smoking? haha, what is this? Mad men?

meredith wrote:

Its still the original owner?

meredith wrote:

Its still the original owner?

yup. he is great.

Would it be suitable for quizzo?

Would it be suitable for quizzo?

i'd say so, as far as the space goes. i'm not sure perry would want to put up the money, though, as it seems they don't get too much business in there.

Thats the whole point in having quizzo...to bring folks in.
Just curious. Always looking around for other options.

I was talking to Neil last night and he claims he will make it to quizzo one of these nights. I will begin holding my breath now.

I think Luke's is better because it's closer to our houses and it's just the right size for it and I think the owner would dig it.

true, but luke's bar doesn't have shelly and kait.

perry's is right around the corner from us.

true, but luke's bar doesn't have shelly and kait.

I'm not abandoning those two unless the place shuts down for good. You want to go to Luke's or Perry's? There's 6 other nights in the week for us to do that.

true, but luke's bar doesn't have shelly and kait.

agree. shelley and kait are two of the best bartenders around, so i'll stick with them until the place shuts down.

I agree. However, if the place does shut down, I'll be looking for available locations, for my client of course.

in the summer an outdoor quizzo in one of the beer gardens would be nice.

in the summer an outdoor quizzo in one of the beer gardens would be nice.

Or the patio there. 3 Fish has a nice sized beer garden and will have the games on the projection outside. I can't see any other beer garden working just due to there being too many people there for non-quizzo related activities.

Well, I haven't been to all the bars in the neighborhood lately, but worse comes to worse, we can have it in my yard on Johns laundry night. I can get the kids to wait on you.

Because nothings more fun than having a 10 year old pour me shots.

Hey, hey, he's only seven. The three year old can't reach.

You better know I wasn't serious. Christ, I'm barely allowed in there, let alone a bunch of Kenzo's coming in, and interfereing with his TV viewing pleasure.

I've heard that Perry's is a good little neighborhood bar. Someone on the board used to go there -- Lauraska?

stbenjamin's picture

I'm reading this with interest, if there are any decent neighborhood bars that get overlooked, I'd like to do a write up of some of them for the Star.

meredith wrote:

true, but luke's bar doesn't have shelly and kait.

That's why I haven't popped the question to the owner of Luke's because I figgered you people would be sticks in the mud about it. And well... you have to tell people in advance about Irish John so they can brace themselves before he appears.

KingDingAling's picture

How does a bar like Atlantis, Memphis Taproom or O'reillys complete the transformation from neighborhood bar to hipster hangout? Does the transformation rely solely on the instillation of a bike rack outside or is it more about making sure you have Philadelphia Brewing Company and the like on tap? Which is more important, bike rack or Pabst Blue Ribbon?

When the king speaks, fishtown.us would be wise to listen.

PBR.

Look at Spring Garden station. The hipsters are gone yet their legacy of having been there lingers on the station.

KingDingAling's picture

I pulled up to Atlantis for quizzo yesterday and I drove right up to the bar on the Hagert St. side with free range of parking spots. I said to my company "wow, this place is probably dead." We walked to the door on Frankford ave. and then we saw it, the bike rack overflowing with fixed gear and other cruisers. We opened the door and the bar was relatively crowded with an eclectic blend of artists, aspiring rock stars and towards the back (by the pool table) a couple people who reminded us all that we were indeed at a bar on Frankford and Hagert. All in all it was a fun experience and I'll probably do it again next week.

When the king speaks, fishtown.us would be wise to listen.

It would probably be a good idea to discuss the matter with John first. He doesn't do it for free ya know, and he has a number of bars in town that he is regularly scheduled to appear at, with two or more possibilities being talked about now. There are only so many nights in the week, and usually bar owners don't want quizzo during a weekend, unless its Sunday night, when he's already working. I'd mention it to him, and let him take a ride over there an eye up the place.

rockoncherry's picture

My mom is owner of Luke's and she is tryng to expand the bar to new ideas. Perry's is so humdrum!