FNA Zoning Committee Meeting: 1255 Marlborough St.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 7:00pm to 7:30pm

A proposal for a bakery. This meeting will be held at the Fishtown Rec Center, 1202 E. Montgomery Ave. All residents of Fishtown are eligible to vote. Please bring proof of residence or business ownership in the form of a driver's license or a photo ID and a lease, utility bill, or recent piece of mail addressed to your home or business.

Comments

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Is this going to be Metropolitan's retail?

Matt Benatar's picture

Pure_Fishtown wrote:
Is this going to be Metropolitan's retail?

That was what I heard on the street. I look forward to shopping for bigger pants.

fuzzybottoms's picture

I wasn't there for the screening, but I'm pretty sure that this is unrelated to Metropolitan.

Pure_Fishtown's picture

I wish we were given just a little more detail.

fuzzybottoms's picture

Maybe one of the other zoning committee members can chime in. I wasn't able to attend the meeting so I could only provide the little amount of information that I have.

FishtownYo's picture

If it were Metropolitan, why would they need zoning for a bakery? This would only be a retail outlet, they do the baking on1000 Marlborough

lighterthief's picture

mmm bakery I hope it's a bread bakery and not another fancy cup-cakery

Kenzo's picture

ZBABOT SEES YOU!!!

ZBA Hearing Date: Wednesday 06/27/2012 04:00:00 +01:00 Calendar No.: 18085 Address: 1255 MARLBOROUGH ST, PHILADELPHIA PA, 19125
Owner: STEVEN SCURON Applicant: ZYNTHIA MARTINEZ Attorney: MULVIHILL & RUSHIE LEO MULVIHILL Appeal No.: 394626 Appeal Date: 05/24/2012
Proposal:
PERMIT FOR A RETAIL BAKERY TO INCLUDE BAKING ON PREMISES AND TWO (2)ACCESSORY FLATWALL INTERNALLY ILLUMINATED SIGNS ON THE FIRST FLOOR IN THESAME BUILDING WITH AN EXISTING THREE (3) FAMILY DWELLING ABOVE.

See the property here -> http://www.banditproject.org/ZBABot/PropertyDetail.aspx?Address=1255+MARLBOROUGH+ST

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Okay, Leo, do tell what kind of bakery.

Ftowntruehead's picture

Okay Jordan and Leo. Speak up. What is going on here? What kind of bakery?

Kenzo's picture

Tsk tsk tsk. Attorney-Client privilege you people.

(What they CAN do is tell their client about this thread and ask THEM to come on here to speak up, should they want to.)

Ftowntruehead's picture

Tsk tsk tsk Kenzo although I am not a lawyer, I have taken and studied quite a few law courses while in college and still have the books in front of me for reference. Last time I checked the Attorney–Client privilege only protects certain communications between a client and his or her attorney and keeps those communications confidential. Attorney-Client privilege only applies to what has not been made public. It does not apply to what has been aired and discussed in an open public forum. Disclosure of information that is already in the public domain does not breach that duty so anything that was said at the FNA zoning meeting at the Fishtown Rec a week ago they can discuss all they want.

Kenzo's picture

Yes yes, but usually a good zoning atty they will keep mum and only speak at the zoning meeting in front of neighbors, orally, because a) it's required if the client asks b) electronic stuff is permanent record and can be used against them in a ZBA appeal of an appeal. And of course they lay the whole world out in the open at the actual ZBA hearing and often reveal stuff that's not even disclosed at a zoning meeting. It's simpler to just ask the applicant to come on here.

It's way easier to get a realtor to blab details, they're being paid to yap.

Like with WCRP, their spokesperson said "I dunno" when I ask how much their project cost. If Lynette Brown-Sow asked it they would blurt the figure out immediately.

zempf's picture

Using my superior sleuthing skills, it appears to be "Zynnie Bakes" -- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=10057281&l=a3370b7d23&id=563474381 -- looks like a cupcake place.

Kenzo's picture

Good one on searching the owner name :-)

Kenzo's picture

FB message sent:

Hi. I used the neighborhood zoning investigative magic powers and discovered that YOU are bringing these cupcake contraptions to my neighborhood. As a Kensington resident I demand to know: are they delicious?

Pure_Fishtown's picture

UGH!

2014 york's picture

Is it really too much to ask for a half decent baguette in the area? None of that awful Italian stuff. bleech.
I'm not excited by cupcakes in the least.

Kenzo's picture

2014 york wrote:
Is it really too much to ask for a half decent baguette in the area? None of that awful Italian stuff. bleech.
I'm not excited by cupcakes in the least.

I never understood the cupcake fad. It really took off as the feel-good do it yourself recession startup business. Looks great on an ad for American Express credit cards but in real life? We had the Cupcake Lady get in trouble with L&I and the cops chasing her all over University City and Center City two summers ago.

Then that poor thing who tried to rent a C-3 storefront in Fairmount and was called pretty-much a she-devil; zoning denied.

But hey, it's cupcakes. I'm sure Whipped Bakeshop is not pleased at competition.

kdlewis6's picture

I know I am supposed to be putting myself to sleep, but I would love a french bakery...warm crusty french bread, patisseries, yummy...

2014 york's picture

kdlewis6 wrote:
I know I am supposed to be putting myself to sleep, but I would love a french bakery...warm crusty french bread, patisseries, yummy...

You sound like a Gentrifier. No wonder Pat DeCarlo want's to screw up your world. Just shut up and be happy with nothing but Caribbean food. (wink)

kdlewis6's picture

haha!! please...I only wish I could be a gentrifier!! teachers don't make that kind of $ working in Philly!

lighterthief's picture

Cupcakes? Bleh! I want Brioche, fresh hand-made brioche, baguettes, croissants! sorry Ken Milano I am a Fishtown US hypocrite, I want to live in a richly textured working class neighborhood with good brioche (and not in France ick) - there is your "cultural snobbery" it's true. I have no use for cupcakes unless they are free in the office kitchen from a kids birthday or a sales rep (yep there ya go boring office stories too) and just incase my tone is not understood I am not mocking Ken I am mocking me.

Coder's picture

I could eat just French bread and butter for dinner, no problem. (Maybe wine).
I don't think Whipped will care, most of their business is wedding cakes, they seem to do very little walk in business. While I will sing the praises of their delicious caramel, sea salt brownies...I really think the cupcakes are just okay, and overpriced for the size. Brown Betty is THE go to place for cupcakes and even special occasion cakes.

Matt Benatar's picture

Her cupcakes are good. She brought some to a party at our garden.
How is this a bad thing?

Coder's picture

Zoes? No one said they were bad.

lighterthief's picture

Matt Benatar wrote:
Her cupcakes are good. She brought some to a party at our garden.
How is this a bad thing?

because it does not satisfy my specific and personal desire for access to quality brioche in 19125

stbenjamin's picture

lighterthief wrote:
Matt Benatar wrote:
Her cupcakes are good. She brought some to a party at our garden.
How is this a bad thing?

because it does not satisfy my specific and personal desire for access to quality brioche in 19125

I wouldn't mind some good bagels. And a Metropolitan retail outlet closer than RTM.

lighterthief's picture

stbenjamin wrote:
lighterthief wrote:
Matt Benatar wrote:
Her cupcakes are good. She brought some to a party at our garden.
How is this a bad thing?

because it does not satisfy my specific and personal desire for access to quality brioche in 19125

I wouldn't mind some good bagels. And a Metropolitan retail outlet closer than RTM.

but alas all we have is pretzels and cupcakes... ahh Philly how I love to hate you.

dmandy's picture

stbenjamin wrote:
lighterthief wrote:
Matt Benatar wrote:
Her cupcakes are good. She brought some to a party at our garden.
How is this a bad thing?

because it does not satisfy my specific and personal desire for access to quality brioche in 19125

I wouldn't mind some good bagels. And a Metropolitan retail outlet closer than RTM.

Why don't we all email Metropolitan and let them know we want to but their products really locally.

also on facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Metropolitan-Bakery/63765391110

stbenjamin's picture

dmandy wrote:
Why don't we all email Metropolitan and let them know we want to but their products really locally.

also on facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Metropolitan-Bakery/63765391110

Done, publicly on FB.

lighterthief's picture

liked

Mr. Yuk's picture

I attended the zoning meeting for this proposal. She said that she hopes to offer bread in the future, which frankly I think would help her business! Here’s hoping! Zynnie, if you're reading this, please bake bread!!!

george's picture

I want guava pastelitos. In fact, I NEED guava pastelitos.

Guava.

Pastelitos.

roma258's picture

stbenjamin wrote:
dmandy wrote:
Why don't we all email Metropolitan and let them know we want to but their products really locally.

also on facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Metropolitan-Bakery/63765391110

Everyone who commented got a response! Great job letting them know about the demand in the hood:

Metropolitan Bakety wrote:
Thanks for the comments - we are considering it - right now you can get baguettes at QUince fine food and nicole there will also special order any loaves you want
Done, publicly on FB.

lighterthief's picture

clearly from their response Metropolitan IS NOT attuned to MY NEEDS. They say go to Quince, do they not realize that Quince is NOT EVEN IN 19125! Also they only mention baguettes I want more, closer, sooner HUMPH!

austen's picture

You're very italics-y today.

Coder's picture

Funny, he doesn't look Italian.

lighterthief's picture

because I am being not entirely serious

2014 york's picture

I've gotta check Quince out. They better have what I want and at a price I can afford or I'll denegrate them on this site.

Leo's picture

Ftowntruehead wrote:
Tsk tsk tsk Kenzo although I am not a lawyer, I have taken and studied quite a few law courses while in college and still have the books in front of me for reference. Last time I checked the Attorney–Client privilege only protects certain communications between a client and his or her attorney and keeps those communications confidential. Attorney-Client privilege only applies to what has not been made public. It does not apply to what has been aired and discussed in an open public forum. Disclosure of information that is already in the public domain does not breach that duty so anything that was said at the FNA zoning meeting at the Fishtown Rec a week ago they can discuss all they want.

Privilege regulates what we discuss behind closed doors. But our duty to client confidentiality means we shouldn't talk about anything, unless given explicit consent by a client, even if it is general public knowledge.

Newcomer's picture

2014 york wrote:
I've gotta check Quince out. They better have what I want and at a price I can afford or I'll denegrate them on this site.

I really like Quince but I found that some of the products they carry were cheaper at Whole Foods.

Newcomer's picture

Whole Foods!

Kenzo's picture

Ahem, Leo, your client didn't return my Facebook message.

We are not amused.

lighterthief's picture

Leo wrote:
Privilege regulates what we discuss behind closed doors. But our duty to client confidentiality means we shouldn't talk about anything, unless given explicit consent by a client, even if it is general public knowledge.

except your internet friends have very important questions about exactly what type of baked goods are coming to their neighborhood. Then you need to balance priorities buddy.... its F.U.S. or them.

Kenzo wrote:
Ahem, Leo, your client didn't return my Facebook message.

We are not amused.

Oh no she didn't!

Leo's picture

Kenzo wrote:
Ahem, Leo, your client didn't return my Facebook message.

We are not amused.

Is that the royal we, or is your MPD rearing its ugly heads again?

2014 york's picture

Stopped by Quince today. Not a lot to buy in there but everything looked good. Baguettes are $2.50...cheaper than Thriftway. They will also sell you a half. Like the earlier post...any other bread needs to be pre-ordered.

george's picture

Sure are a lot of old queens on this site.

Speaking of which, Madame STILL awaits her guava pastelitos.

Pure_Fishtown's picture

From Philadelphia Magazine, December 2011 -- 12 Restaurant Trends that need to die: http://www.phillymag.com/articles/12-restaurant-trends-that-need-to-die-in-2012/

1. Crabcakes
2. Chocolate in savory dishes
3. Cupcakes
4. Gastropubs
5. Sushi in non-sushi restaurants
6. Lobster mac-and-cheese
7. Duck fat
8. Bacon
9. Hamachi crudo
10. Ingredient demagoguery
11. Complaining about Yelp
12. Sous-vide

Kenzo's picture

ABOMINATION.

Number 8. Enough said.

Kat's picture

george wrote:
I want guava pastelitos. In fact, I NEED guava pastelitos.

Guava.

Pastelitos.

Yes. Those.

lighterthief's picture

Pure_Fishtown wrote:
From Philadelphia Magazine, December 2011 -- 12 Restaurant Trends that need to die: http://www.phillymag.com/articles/12-restaurant-trends-that-need-to-die-in-2012/

1. Crabcakes
2. Chocolate in savory dishes
3. Cupcakes
4. Gastropubs
5. Sushi in non-sushi restaurants
6. Lobster mac-and-cheese
7. Duck fat
8. Bacon
9. Hamachi crudo
10. Ingredient demagoguery
11. Complaining about Yelp
12. Sous-vide

I refuse to see anything wrong with 1, 7, and 8 those are all beautiful things

The only thing wrong with "gastropubs" is the word.... it's like "Port Fishington" obnoxious and meaningless. There is nothing wrong with bars that serve quality food until you come up with an obnoxious name for it.

i would be very happy to eat crabcakes fried in duckfat and topped with bacon in a gastropub this evening

Pure_Fishtown's picture

I just put the item listed up not what they wrote for each one -- hysterical. Bacon had to do with using bacon in everything -- bacon ice cream, bacon cupcakes, etc.

bozoloper's picture

i'm glad that yelp has come full circle. complaining on yelp -> complaining about people complaining on yelp -> complaining that too many people complain that people complain too much on yelp.

ZynnieBakes's picture

Hello everyone,

I apologize for the delayed participation in this thread, but I didn't expect that a bakery would generate quite the discussion.

As you may have already guessed, it will not be a Metropolitan retail. However, I can try to work with them to possibly carry their neighborhood beloved bread. I personally have not had them yet, but will walk over Quince and check them out.

Yes, I will primarily serve cupcakes, cookies, and other confection. Why? Because that is what I do best. I wouldn't want to serve you anything less. I do understand that the neighborhood wants bread. In time and depending on demand, the pastries will be phased out to make room for more bread.

In response to Kenzo- I've triple checked my FB page, wall, and inbox inside and out but I did not receive anything from you. If I had gotten it, I definately would have responded. And in response: Yes, they're delicious and I hope that you will give them a chance.

To Matt Benatar and Mr. Yuk- thank you.

To George- I like guava pastelitos too! I don't think I've had the original one, but the one that I made was kick :)

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions feel free to post them. I'm here.

Thanks,

Zynthia
--
Have a sweet day at www.zynniebakes.com

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Zynthia:

Just checking your website and have one question, can you buy just one or two cupcakes? I see on your website: Cupcakes – $2.25 of the regular size, no filling; $2.50 of the regular size, with filling. One dozen minimum of the same kind.

With all the children passing during school time, I'd think they might want a cupcake.

Coder's picture

Oh my god, I'm doomed.

ZynnieBakes's picture

That is only until the shop opens. That is the case right now because I don't have a place to store them and not sure how to make just one cupcake at a time. Once the bakery is open, it wouldn't have to be by the dozen of each kind.

PS- maybe if its by the dozen, it'll teach them about sharing ;)