1:30 PM Public School Closing TODAY

Philadelphia public schools are closing at 1:30 PM today, May 29, 2012 due to heat.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Kat's picture

Parochial schools staying open. Suffering is good for the sould apparently.

I have been in my daughter's school on days like this and there is no learning going on - you can barely breathe in those classrooms when the humidity and heat is this high.

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Kat, as a child from the Parochial school system, I have no sympathy for those in school today. Our uniforms were wool and for the first 4 years, we had to wear long sleeve blouses all year round AND they had to be starched. Then add the slip because of the wool uniforms. As the nuns often reminded us, they were wearing more article of clothing than us.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

austen's picture

And you had to wear those ugly ugly shoes, and knee socks, and walk uphill both ways to school.

Kidding - I kid. I was in parochial school from K-6th grade, and can commiserate.

But, the rest of my schooling through senior year of high school was suburban and public - no early dismissals or A/C going on in the classrooms then, either.

Zaw's picture

I feel for them but there would have been parents complaining because they let the students out an hour early. A lot of people work and for students to be let out an hour early would have caused a major disruption. For just an hour the kids can suck it up.

You can take the fish out of the town but you can't take the town out of the fish.