Cione pool schedule 2012

Cione opens tomorrow at 11:00 am. It will be free swim until Monday then regular schedule. and here it is:

Monday Wednesday Friday
11:00 - 12:00 Day camp

12;00 - 2:00 Boys swim

2:00 - 4:00 Girls swim

4:00 - 5:00 adult/Toddler (6 years and under)

5:00 - 7:00 Free swim

Tuesday - Thursday
11:00 - 12:00 Day camp

12;00 - 2:00 Boys swim

2:00 - 4:00 Girls swim

4:00 - 5:00 swim lessons

5:00 - 6:00 swim team

6;00 - 7:00 Adult swim (18 years and older)

saturday - Sunday
12:00 - 5:00 Free swim

For Safety Reasons
a. Proper swimwear must be worn ( no cutoffs, etc)
b. No one on the deck or in the pool while wearing street clothes
c. the maximum number of young children per adult is 2
d. Swimmers must be at least 6 years of age and at least 45 inches tall. Any swimmer who does not meet these requirements must be accompanied by an adult at all times in the pool.

Until i can find work, I'll be there every day. I have been told that if the pool is not filled to capacity they will open the pool for free swim. They are allowed to have 30 people for every one life guard.

steveeboy's picture

I would like to see the adult swim as a regular feature M-F 6-7pm or, barring that, at least a friday night adult swim--switch to MWF 6-7pm adult swim.

dmandy's picture

Adults can go during the day. I guess the day schedule should read male and female.

austen's picture

dmandy wrote:
Adults can go during the day. I guess the day schedule should read male and female.

Not this adult - hard to get over there from West Philly.

dmandy's picture

austen wrote:
dmandy wrote:

Not this adult - hard to get over there from West Philly.

there is time later in the day either as free swim or as adult swim. I only mentioned the day schedule because it said boy and girl swim and I wanted to let people know that adults can go also.

george's picture

I LOVE to swim (grew up in Florida, after all) and do it pretty much every day at my gym but a question here: Does Cione "lane off" areas so adults can swim laps unobstructed? Gotta say, much as I love the water if I can't actually swim it would drive me nuts.

Coder's picture

The only public pool I ever saw with lanes was the Jack Kelly pool out by Memorial Hall.

dmandy's picture

george wrote:
I LOVE to swim (grew up in Florida, after all) and do it pretty much every day at my gym but a question here: Does Cione "lane off" areas so adults can swim laps unobstructed? Gotta say, much as I love the water if I can't actually swim it would drive me nuts.

Cione doesn't but at adult swim it isn't usually crowded and people are good about staying out of your way.

george's picture

Coder wrote:
The only public pool I ever saw with lanes was the Jack Kelly pool out by Memorial Hall.

Some of the suburban ones are HUGE (and very nice) with dedicated lanes for adult swimmers but I guess it's a lot rarer in the city with budget restraints, etc.

I just can't sit in a pool bobbing around. I need to swim and get frustrated if I can't. My gym doesn't have lanes, either, but the pool is so underutilized that it's never an issue and I usually have it to myself.

george's picture

dmandy wrote:
Cione doesn't but at adult swim it isn't usually crowded and people are good about staying out of your way.

That's good to hear. There's definitely a "swimmers etiquette" in sharing space if you can. Happy swimming!

jessv's picture

i only ever saw one woman swimming laps at cione. she swam short ones - across the pool's width, versus up and down the length - but most folks (young and old alike) were very respectful and gave her a wide berth.

i hesitated using the pool for YEARS until it finally got so hot last summer i thought i was going to melt. i was pleasantly surprised by how clean it is, the politeness/behavior of the swimmers, and how perfectly cold it was. and FREE. way better than the arrow swim club joke.

dmandy's picture

jessv wrote:
i only ever saw one woman swimming laps at cione. she swam short ones - across the pool's width, versus up and down the length - but most folks (young and old alike) were very respectful and gave her a wide berth.

i hesitated using the pool for YEARS until it finally got so hot last summer i thought i was going to melt. i was pleasantly surprised by how clean it is, the politeness/behavior of the swimmers, and how perfectly cold it was. and FREE. way better than the arrow swim club joke.

Yes, they do keep it very clean. 99.9% of the people who go there are very nice. During the week is the best because it isn't very crowded but even on weekends it's still good. Now that they have free swim on weekends I'll be there right at 12. In the past the people who got a little rambunctious seem to come mostly later in the day, mostly.

george's picture

I used to pay to use the pool and sauna at the Sheraton on Dock Street. MANY a time I would get in there and there would be a ton of kids raising hell. Sometimes I would just start swimming and hope for the best, but that usually didn;t work out very well with a lot of sudden stops and near misses (plus parents who so very thoughtfully didn't believe in any lessons about 'sharing' with their little angels).

The gym situation is a LOT better even if it's a little bit pricey. I'm a bit swimming obsessed if you haven't guessed but it beats a heroin addiction or sitting around listening to Celine Dion records, y'know?

Those are actually the same things.

dmandy's picture

Remember the pool opens today @ 11 and is free swim until 7. I'll be heading out soon, have to get some sunscreen first

sdm's picture

george wrote:
I used to pay to use the pool and sauna at the Sheraton on Dock Street. MANY a time I would get in there and there would be a ton of kids raising hell. Sometimes I would just start swimming and hope for the best, but that usually didn;t work out very well with a lot of sudden stops and near misses (plus parents who so very thoughtfully didn't believe in any lessons about 'sharing' with their little angels).

The gym situation is a LOT better even if it's a little bit pricey. I'm a bit swimming obsessed if you haven't guessed but it beats a heroin addiction or sitting around listening to Celine Dion records, y'know?

Those are actually the same things.

I don't even need a pool, just access to a hot tub and a sauna for hangover relief.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

dmandy's picture

Went to the pool and it was wonderful. I forgot how hungry being in water can make you so came home to have lunch. Will be going back again at 5 and play until 7. Come home, go to sleep get up and do it all over again.

dmandy's picture

Just a reminder that the pool is open for free swim 11-7. In case it starte to rain, they usually let people stay in the pool unless they see lighting or hear thunder anywhere. One day last year it looked like it was to pour but I went to the pool anyway. There were three other people there and it never rained. It was lovely

sdm's picture

I always got a kick out of people who would get out of the pool when it started to rain. Like the addition of rain had somehow put them over the threshold of just how wet they were willing to be at a given time.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

george's picture

sdm wrote:
I always got a kick out of people who would get out of the pool when it started to rain. Like the addition of rain had somehow put them over the threshold of just how wet they were willing to be at a given time.

Isn't that the truth? SO weird. I get it when there's lightning, but I've seen people literally RUN out of a pool when it starts raining. No idea what the thought process is there.

Coder's picture

I have no problem just sitting in the rain, in lieu of a pool.

george's picture

Coder wrote:
I have no problem just sitting in the rain, in lieu of a pool.

Same here. It's very Zen.

I also still throw mud pies at passing motorists.

th's picture

Bought a large galvanized apple bucket yesterday. Just sitting with my feet in the water was nice (since I'm not allowed in Coder's pool).

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

Coder's picture

No one is allowed in Coders pool.

dmandy's picture

Wanted to let people know that because of the heat, the pool will be having free swim tomorrow.

dmandy's picture

when it is hot and the pool is having free swim, they are making everyone get out once an hour. They first let in anyone who has been waiting and then let in the other people. So if you are planing on going, go right before the hour and you have a better chance of getting in

Newcomer's picture

dmandy wrote:
Wanted to let people know that because of the heat, the pool will be having free swim tomorrow.

What's "free swim"? Both sexes? During what times?

dmandy's picture

Newcomer wrote:
dmandy wrote:

What's "free swim"? Both sexes? During what times?

Yes, it means both sexes. It is every weekend and when it's really hot, like now. I don't know what the deciding temp is but I'll ask the next time I'm there.

Newcomer's picture

Do you know what the hours are? Thanks.

dmandy's picture

The hours are at the top of the post

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses's picture

Yeah, and as long as the lifeguards don't feel like sitting at their post, you need to sit there in the hot sun until they decide to do the job they are paid for.

Ugh.

ExUnit4's picture

What I loved yesterday was they counted the people first, then told us neighborhood folks that they already had the limit allowed so we'd have to wait another hour. Meanwhile, at least 15 kids and their fat mama's that don't even live around here have been inside since the pool opened. Not to mentioned the local folks that fit the same description who want to hog the pool all afternoon.

Speak softly, the dashboard cam has a very sensative microphone

dmandy's picture

ExUnit4 wrote:
What I loved yesterday was they counted the people first, then told us neighborhood folks that they already had the limit allowed so we'd have to wait another hour. Meanwhile, at least 15 kids and their fat mama's that don't even live around here have been inside since the pool opened. Not to mentioned the local folks that fit the same description who want to hog the pool all afternoon.

It's funny, whenever I've been there it has been on a first come basis. And when they have 5 or more people at the gate, they make everyone get out once an hour, usually on the hour. They then let the new people in first and then go to the line of people who have been in already. Where you live has nothing to do with who gets in because while the pool is in this neighbothood, it is a city pool and anyone from any neighborhood can go in. If you want to know how the pool works, talk to the people who work there. They are more than willing to explain it to you. When there is free swim, get there a little before the hour to have the best chance of getting in. If you think that you should get special treatment just because you live in the neighborhood, the answer is no.

george's picture

dmandy wrote:
If you think that you should get special treatment just because you live in the neighborhood, the answer is no.

Bingo.

I think people are often confused or misinformed about this. These are city facilities open to ALL residents. Being from the same neighborhood a pool is located in means absolutely zilch.

dmandy wrote:
ExUnit4 wrote:

It's funny, whenever I've been there it has been on a first come basis. And when they have 5 or more people at the gate, they make everyone get out once an hour, usually on the hour. They then let the new people in first and then go to the line of people who have been in already. Where you live has nothing to do with who gets in because while the pool is in this neighbothood, it is a city pool and anyone from any neighborhood can go in. If you want to know how the pool works, talk to the people who work there. They are more than willing to explain it to you. When there is free swim, get there a little before the hour to have the best chance of getting in. If you think that you should get special treatment just because you live in the neighborhood, the answer is no.

Hi, I believe you and I were chatting in the pool today? :)

Ugh.

dmandy's picture

ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses wrote:
dmandy wrote:
ExUnit4 wrote:

Yes, we were and it was very nice. Did you ever make it to Pennypack?

dmandy wrote:
ThatGirlWithTheFunkyGlasses wrote:
dmandy wrote:
ExUnit4 wrote:

Yes, we were and it was very nice. Did you ever make it to Pennypack?

Nah, hubby went, and I stayed home and sewed. :)

Ugh.

dmandy's picture

Just wanted to let folks know that the pool will be on weekend schedule tomorrow, july 4th, 12-5 pm free swim. If the temps. are above 95 on Thursday it will be free swim also. You can call the playground @ 2156859880 to ask before heading over on Thursday.

dmandy's picture

They are doing regular schedule today inspite of the heat because they had a lot of trouble yesterday to the point of lifeguards being threaten and the police being called. Regular schedule at top of this thread.

th's picture

Can't have noth'n nice.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

dmandy's picture

th wrote:
Can't have noth'n nice.

still nice but there is always a few in every bunch that try to upset things. if it was the girls i think it was, they have already been kicked out of Cohox so decided to try at Cione.

steveeboy's picture

had a nice adult swim at the swimmo yesterday, 6-7pm. very chill. I think the location behind the 26th tends to eliminate the riff raff.

Atomic Larry's picture

so wish the swimmo would do some remodeling. It is pretty run down...

dmandy's picture

steveeboy wrote:
had a nice adult swim at the swimmo yesterday, 6-7pm. very chill. I think the location behind the 26th tends to eliminate the riff raff.

I've had a nice swim at Cione everytime and I'm there just about everyday.

dmandy's picture

Cione pool will be closing on Aug 15. Most lifeguards at city pools are college students and start leaving for school about then.