norris st deli (rewrite)

Forums:

The following is a rewrite of naybor2deli's "norris st deli" post. I hope this helps in the conversation. I have to confess that I struggled to understand what was originally written, so I have invested substantial time to clarify it. I hope I didn't distort the original writer's intended message. I've given the best understanding I have. The original thread is here: http://fishtown.us/content/forum/norris-st-deli-0

Sometimes I'm amazed how people give their opinions on something, but truly have no clue what they are taking about. These are, after all, merely your opinions. They are in no way backed up by any facts. I live right next to that deli, and I know a lot of people who hang there (briefly) and who come in and out of that store.

If you want to talk about drug dealers and selling drugs, you should focus your attention on Fishtown Market. Look at which and what kind of kids hang out on that corner, and hung out at Emo's when they were in business. (I am in no way insinuating Fishtown Market or Emo's was involved in selling drugs.)

Answer this with facts: When was anyone ever locked up on the corner of Norris & Almond for selling drugs? Remember, answer with facts, not your "honest gossip opinion"! The answer is, as far as i can remember, that nobody has been arrested there for selling drugs in the last 5 years. Not one person. I know this because I have lived here most of my life.

So, dasfish is basically stereotyping people. Dasfish, do you know these people? Did you ever speak to these people you're referring to in your comment? Basically, what you're saying is that because these people (who you refer to as smackheads) are sometimes on the corner when you drive by, they are affiliated with the store. In what manner?

Actually, I'm not sure what you're saying exactly - other than because people look a certain way and hang at a certain place, they somehow define that place and bring everything around them down. That's absurd. Your comment simply displays your own paranoia. Trust me on this.

Instead of belittling these people, you should try going up them and saying, "Hi." You might be surprised at their response. They just might say, "Hi, how are you doing?" in response. They're human. Go figure.

Some of them might have had, or currently have, problems with addiction. Before you clowns say I've proven your point that this place is bad because there are addicts on the corner, let me say this: "Newsflash! There are more addicts than you can imagine." I'm sure you people think you don't know any addicts and think you don't surround yourself with addicts. However, you're fooling yourself if you live in Fishtown and believe this.

As for all you other clowns on here talking smack about the corner, let me just inform you of this: I know the owner who works very hard to run that place, and I know all the employees too. Some of the most respectful, hard-working kids around work in there, along with some older ladies. The girls that work in there go to college (Immaculata and La Salle), and the younger kid is going to Penn State next fall. The store is one of the cleanest kept and well maintained stores in the neighborhood.

Since Kenzo likes using maps for crimes, ask him to show a crime report in the past 5 years showing drug arrests on the corner of Norris & Almond. Do you really think if that store wasn't there that those B/E's and T/V's wouldn't have taken place in the last 2 weeks? Do you think that because the store is there, it assisted in one way or another with those crimes? You're crazy for even suggesting that. If we say this is true, we can then take all businesses and somehow link them to the crimes that take place around them - or exclude them if they weren't there at the time of the crimes. The reality is that these crimes would have taken place no matter what business was there at the time.

Here's another fact about these crimes around Norris and Almond: They all took place in the overnight hours. (Didn't they?) Are you still going to say it's the store's fault regardless of whether it was open or closed? This is a legitimate business. There are no DEA agents raiding the store, and no stakeouts on the store or surveillance of the people standing on the corner. There is certainly no drug dealing in that store. As a matter of fact, there is none on that corner. If there is, where are all the arrests? There are none. There is only a bunch of people giving their absurd, useless opinions which can't be backed up with a single fact!

I just don't understand why people thrive on useless gossip and misinformation. What I read on here is no different from taking Fishtown as a whole, slamming the bad people that live within the boundaries of Fishtown, and then saying Fishtown is not a good place because drug addicts, thieves, rapist and murderers live in it. This totally disregards the good, honest, hard-working, 8-5 people who also live in Fishtown. For anyone who didn't understand that analysis, it's saying you can't define the whole by judging a part. You must judge the whole as a whole, with both the good and the bad.

You know, people, if you spent half your time talking about and taking part in something useful and meaningful, you might make a difference. Don't waste your time gossiping and talking about useless, factless topics.

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

dan

For reference, this was the first version, emphasizing spelling, capitalization, punctuation, & paragraphs. (with italicized words added for clarity)

Sometimes I'm amazed at how people give their opinions on something and truly have no clue on what they are taking about. I mean, after all, these are your opinions because in no way are they backed up by any hard facts. I live right next to that deli and I know a lot of people that hang (as brief as they do) and come in and out of that store.

You want to talk about drug dealers and selling drugs, you need to attract your attention to Fishtown Market and who and what kind of group of kids hang out on that corner and Emo's when they were in business. ibut In no way am I making an insinuation that Fishtown Market or Emo's was a part of selling drugs because of the people that hang there or around them.

Can anyone tell me with true hard facts - when was anyone ever locked up on the corner of Norris & Almond for selling drugs? Remember, true facts people, not your honest gossip opinion! None, as far as i can remember, in the last 5 years. Not one person. I know, I lived here pretty much my whole life.

So, dasfish is pretty much stereotyping people. Dasfish, do you know these people? Ever speak to these people you're referring to in your comment? so Basically, what you're saying is because these people you refer to as smackheads n are sometimes on the corner when you drive by are affiliated with the store in what manner? I'm not sure what you're exactly saying, other than because people look a certain way, hanging at a certain spot, somehow define and bring everything around them down. That's absurd. Your comment? It's your own paranoia, trust me.

You should try, instead of belittling them, to go up and say hi. You might be surprised that they might just say, "Hi, how are you doing?" back to you. They're human. Go figure. They might have, or still do have, problems with addiction. (Yeah, I know - so go ahead clowns, see that what we are talking about why is there addicts hanging on that corner? Newsflash! There are more addicts than you can imagine, but I'm sure you people don't know any addicts or surround yourself with addicts - but you live in Fishtown? And as for all you other clowns on here talking smack about the corner, let me just inform you of this: I know the owner who works very hard to run that place, and I know all the employees too. Just to give you some true facts, there are some of the most respectful, hard working kids that work in there along with the elder ladies. The girls that work in there go to college (Immaculada and LaSalle), and the younger kid is going to Penn State college next fall. The store is one of the cleanest kept and well maintained stores in the neighborhood.

Since Kenzo likes using maps for crimes, ask him to show a crime report in the past 5 years showing drug arrests on the corner of Norris & Almond. Do you really think if that store wasn't there that those B/E's and T/V's wouldn't have taken place in the last 2 weeks, or that because the store is there that it assisted in one way or another with those crimes? You're crazy for even suggesting that. In that case, let's take all business and somehow link them to the crimes that take place around them, or exclude them if they weren't there at the time of the crimes. Of course, those crimes would have taken place no matter what was there at the time.

And another true fact about these crimes happening around Norris and Almond: Didn't all these crimes take place in the overnite hours? Oh, wait - it's the store's fault whether it was open or closed. It's a business, people. There aren't no DEA agents running up in that store, no stakeouts on that store, or on the people standing on that corner. Certainly no drug dealing in that store or on that corner, as a matter of fact. And if there is, where's all the arrest? There's none. It's just a bunch of people giving their absurd, useless opinions that couldn't back them up with a single fact!

I just don't understand why people thrive off of useless gossip and misinformation. What I read on here is no different than taking Fishtown as a whole, slamming the bad people that live within the boundaries of Fishtown, and then saying Fishtown is not a good place because drug addicts, thieves, rapist and murderers live in it, and then totally disregarding the good, honest, hard-working, 8-5 people that live within Fishtown also. For those people that really didn't understand that analysis, it's you can not define a whole by judging a part. Judge the whole as a whole with the good and the bad. You know, people, if you spent half your time talking and taking part in something useful and meaningful, you might make a difference.

I'm sure everyone in here was a part of Occupy Philly. ( I would bet youse probably couldn't even tell me their purpose and goal.) Or 9/11, how our own government crashed 2 planes on American soil and blamed it on a dude that lives in cave, and made us believe that a 3rd plane crashed into our Pentagon with cameras everwhere - and they have not release one image showing a plane crashing into the Pentagon. ( I have $1000 to anyone that can find a video as clear as the one of 2 planes going into the World Trade Centers, crashing into the Pentagon. A clear image.) And why ever has the people supposedly on that plane have never been mentioned during memorials and so on. Don't waste your time gossiping and talking about useless, factless topics.

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

dan

and this was the original, unedited text:

sometimes im amazed at how people give there opinions on something and truly have no clue on what they are taking about.I mean afterall these are ur opinions bcuz in no way are they backed up by any hard facts. I live rite next to that deli and I no alot of people that hang(as breif as they do) and come in an out of that store. You wanna talk about drug dealers and selling drugs you need to attract your attention to fishtown market n who an what kind of group of kids hang out on that corner n emos when they were in business.ibut in no way am i making an insinuation that fishtown market r emos was apart of selling drugs bcuz of the people that hang there r around them. can anyone tell me with true hard facts when was anyone ever locked up on the corner of norris n almond for selling drugs? remember true facts people not ur honest gossip opinion! none as far as i can remember in the last 5 yrs. not one person, i no i lived here pretty much my whole life. so dahfish is pretty much stereotyping people. dasfish do you no these people? ever speak to these people ur referring to in ur comment? so basically what ur sayin is bcuz these people u refer to as smackheads n r sumtimes on the corner when u drive by r affiliated with the store in what manner? I'm not sure what ur exactly sayin, other then bcuz people look a certain way hanging at a certain spot somehow define and bring everything around them down. thats absurd ur comment its ur own paranoia,trust me. u should try instead of belittleing them go up n say hi, u might be surprised that they mite just say hi how r u doing back to ya. they're human go figure they might have r still do have problems with addiction(yeah i no , so go ahead clowns ,see that what we r talking about y is there addicts hanging on that corner? newsflash! there r more addicts then u can imagine, but im sure you people dont no any addicts r surround yourself with addicts, but u live in fishtown?.n as for all u other clowns on here talking smack about the corner let me just inform u of this. I no the owner who works very hard to run that place and i know all the employees too, just to give u sum true facts, there are sum of the most respectful, hard working kids that work in there along with he elder ladies. the girls that work in there go to college , immaculada n la salle n the younger kid is going to penn state college next fall. the store is one of the cleanest kept n well maintained stores in the neighborhood. since kenzo likes using maps for crimes ask him to show a crime report in the past 5 yrs showing drug arrest on the corner of norris n almond. do u really think if that store wasn't there that those b\e's n t\v's woodnt have taken place in the last 2 weeks r that bcuz the store is there that it assisted in one way r another with those crimes, ur crazy for even suggesting that, in that case lets take all business n somehow link them to the crimes that take place around them, r exclude them if they werent there at the time of the crimes. Of course those crimes wood of taken place no matter what was there at the time, and another true fact about these crimes happening around norris n almond, didn't all these crimes take place in the overnite hrs? o wait its the stores fault whether it was open r closed. Its a business people, there are'nt no DEA agents running up in that store, no stakeouts on that store or on the people standing on that corner, certainly no drug dealing in that store r on that corner as a matter of fact n if there is wheres all the arrest? there's none its just a bunch of people giving their absurd useless opinions that couldn't back them up with a single fact! i just don't understand y people thrive off of useless gossip and misinformation. what i read on here is no different then taking fishtown as a whole slamming the bad people that live within the boundaries of fishtown and then saying fishtown is not a good place bcuz drug addicts, thieves, rapist and murderers live in it and totally disregarding the good honest hard working 8-5 people that live within fishown also. for those people that really didn't understand that analysis, is u can not define a whole by judging a part, judge the whole as a whole with the good and the bad. you no people if you spent half your time talking and taking part in something useful and meaning you might make a difference, im sure everyone in here was apart of Occupy Philly ( I wood bet you's probably couldn't even tell me there purpose and goal?) or 9\11 how our own government crashed 2 planes on american soil n blamed it on a dude that lives in cave, n made us believe that a 3rd plane crashed into our pentagon with cameras everwhere n they have not release one image showing a plane crashing into the pentagon ( I have $1000 to anyone that can find a video as clear as the one of 2 planes going into the world trade centers , crashng into the pentagon. A clear image) n y ever has the people supposedly on that plane have never been mentioned during memorials and so on. dont waste your time gossiping and talking about useless factless topics.

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

dan

In interest of full disclosure: I omitted the part about Occupy Philly and 9/11 because I wasn't sure I fully understood what was being said, and even more because I couldn't understand the connection to the rest of the points being made.

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

stein's picture

There was no connection, but thats never stopped anyone before.

Ken Milano (before he went and edited this comment out to avoid the consequences of having wrote it) wrote:
I don’t have much sympathy for renters, for me, they are non citizens

Newcomer's picture

I think it's fake post[er]. Volume alone suggests it was Kenzo.

Kenzo's picture

Newcomer wrote:
I think it's fake post[er]. Volume alone suggests it was Kenzo.

Pfft. Ugh, no. I don't start off about a deli and go into 9/11 and the Pentagon.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Jordan's picture

Can we get some of the regulars together and do a musical version of the post next?

A. Jordan Rushie
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2424 East York Street, Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125 215.385.LAW1 (5291)
Blog: www.phillylawblog.com
Website: www.fishtownlaw.com

Lauraska's picture

Dan, I know you've been kind enough to "interpret" in the past, but this guy demonstrated in other posts that he KNOWS who to express himself with punctuation and proper spelling. If he doesn't have enough respect for his fellow neighbors to address them appropriately, why should anyone listen? His posts were the written equivalent of someone standing out in the street and screaming their complaints, which I see/hear so often in this neighborhood. It's not okay. It's not respectful of neighbors or community. And I don't really think that making grammatical edits is going to make it any better. If he's concerned about his friends/family being maligned on the forums, he can say so without making such a production of it and in away that might actually lead to some compromise instead of just making everyone point and laugh.

Kenzo's picture

I'm not sure who'se friends/family are being maligned. Other than the mysterious folks committing the thefts and breaking into houses, whoever those individuals may be.

I do have a feeling that some folks know something but aren't saying anything. Be that as it may, I still nominate this zone for crime cameras and I encourage the folks who are tired of having their crap broken into to put them up as well.

Nobody wants to talk? Let the cameras do the talkin'.

If you install cameras be sure to register them with the PPD. You can do this in person at the station or online at the PPD's website. Also, you should stop by the 26th District's office to pick up SAFECAM stickers which you can put on your doors and windows.

I bet you dime to a doughnut just 4 or 5 houses with cameras up pointing at the street and fronts of homes around this area--the theft reports will drop like a rock.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

austen's picture

Jordan wrote:
Can we get some of the regulars together and do a musical version of the post next?

Once more, with feeling?

Kat's picture

...and jazz hands! Don't forget the jazz hands!

austen's picture

Kat wrote:
...and jazz hands! Don't forget the jazz hands!

SPIRIT FINGERS.

Matt Benatar's picture

It will be called "Sepvivin': A Fishtown Saga"

Love is a Mattlefield.

austen's picture

Matt Benatar wrote:
It will be called "Sepvivin': A Fishtown Saga"

Ah - pronounced LIke "SUH-VIVE-ING", correct?

steveeboy's picture

I for one am grateful for the post.

I agree with all of it vis a vis the store and the people that work there.

Although I do not know the owner or people that work there personally, they are very friendly and hard working. When I greet the people hanging outside they are always nice to me and my dog.

I wish I had thought to bring up the time of crimes and such--since if they occur at hours when the store is closed it is an obvious hole in the theory that the store attracts bad people who commit crimes.

to recap:
it was claimed that this store was a "bodega" with shady people and that something was going on there. To now backtrack and claim nothing was meant doesn't wash. We all know what was meant when one posts something about shady people, a "bodega," crimes, etc.

I am pretty much in the "mind your own business" column as well. I like that store. It saves me every time I need some kind of kitchen basic and am too lazy to ride over to Thriftway...

I am also pretty much in the "I don't wanna live under a 24/7 police state with constant surveillance by CCTV just because YOU are scared to live in Fishtown" column and think that if you are scared by regular stores, regular people at stores, etc. then maybe you need to sell your house to somebody who is genuinely happy to live here, right now, in this place as it exists, with all of its good and bad.

"Love it or leave it" seems most apropos of late.

Because the ongoing rantings about things being so unsafe here don't seem to jibe with the reality.

There are plenty of places to live with 8 minute police response times, no crime, no drugs, etc.

But those places typically suck and don't feature all of the great things and quality of life one gets here.

Yeah, let's all install cameras and allow the police to monitor them 24/7.

let's start reporting every rumour of every gossip item to law enforcement.

let's let a few horrific but obviously random crimes color the entire perception of the area, so that people start to believe we live at Kensington and Somerset rather than one of the tightest knit and safest neighborhoods around.

let's be like every lame gentrifier and suburbanite around and let every possibly community interaction and decision be made with one thought in mind "PROPERTY VALUES PROPERTY VALUES PROPERTY VALUES"

What could possibly go wrong with that plan?

bozoloper's picture

steveeboy wrote:
let's let a few horrific but obviously random crimes color the entire perception of the area, so that people start to believe we live at Kensington and Somerset rather than one of the tightest knit and safest neighborhoods around.

let's be like every lame gentrifier and suburbanite around and let every possibly community interaction and decision be made with one thought in mind "PROPERTY VALUES PROPERTY VALUES PROPERTY VALUES"

What could possibly go wrong with that plan?

let's make sweeping blanket statements.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

steveeboy's picture

if the shoe fits bub, wear it.

cuz I certainly recognize the bougie when I read it and it's been flying round these parts for a while now.

austen's picture

steveeboy wrote:
PROPERTY VALUES PROPERTY VALUES PROPERTY VALUES

Speaking of, I got a nice little doorcard from the city yesterday. I feel weird sending it back in with my name and phone number on it, though.

bozoloper's picture

steveeboy wrote:
if the shoe fits bub, wear it.

cuz I certainly recognize the bougie when I read it and it's been flying round these parts for a while now.

it's not a shoe it's a blanket, pal.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

Kenzo's picture

LULZ SOMEBODY CALL THE WHAAAAMBULANCE

Oh all those break-ins? Those weren't break-ins those were space aliens looking for fish food. Nothing to see here.

Oh yeah, ignore these new ones too:

2600 BLK E YORK - THEFT 12/16
2600 BLK E YORK - THEFT 12/19
1200 BLK E FLETCHER - THEFT FR VEHICLE 12/18

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Kenzo's picture

steveeboy wrote:
if the shoe fits bub, wear it.

cuz I certainly recognize the bougie when I read it and it's been flying round these parts for a while now.

Maybe there's some people who are worried about it for all the right reasons, know what I mean?

Psst. Hints From Heloise: I know a lot more than I let on.

Tho seriously, Pedobear as your avatar?

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

AM's picture

Like the blanket used by the original poster who assumed because those outside the store didn't dress like him they were "characters and smackheads" - like that kind of blanket? Just curious . . .

"Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone . . . "

bozoloper's picture

AM wrote:
Like the blanket used by the original poster who assumed because those outside the store didn't dress like him they were "characters and smackheads" - like that kind of blanket? Just curious . . .

that's a pretty similar blanket, smaller group of people though.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

dan

Kenzo wrote:
Tho seriously, Pedobear as your avatar?

Yeah, that's been giving me the creepies too.

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

Kenzo's picture

YEAH.

There's some folks spending WAAAAAY too much time going after the original poster, and nooooottta lot of concern about the thefts and break-ins happening all around them.

THAT SEZ A LOT.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

dan

I have to disagree with the idea that wanting less crime, good police response, less litter, less noise at inappropriate times, and less drug-related problems are "bourgeoisie" issues only of concern to allegedly interloping gentrifiers.

I hear concern for these issues expressed by lifers and by those of us who are not locally born but who moved here before gentrification.

In fact, it is concern over these issues that is bridging some of the gaps that have existed in the neighborhood - whether old vs. new or anti-SugarHouse vs pro-SugarHouse.

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

Kenzo's picture

dan wrote:
I have to disagree that wanting less crime, good police response, less litter, less noise at inappropriate times, and less drug-related problems are "bourgeoisie" issues only of concern to allegedly interloping gentrifiers.

I hear concern for these issues expressed by lifers and by those of us who are not locally born but who moved here before gentrification.

Oh but Dan... you're supposed to keep your trap shut and not say anything, 'MEMBA? When the house next door to your friends gets opened up like a can of tuna and they steal everything inside, you're just supposed to shrug your shoulders and go "That's Fishtown for ya!"

ROFL

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

AM's picture

Chances are the people on the block already know who is doing the break ins and the thefts from autos. When something goes missing on our block there are two or three of the usual suspects who are definitely involved. I can't speak for that particular block or the area that surrounds it but I can say that around here that is usually the case - junkies looking for money for a quick fix. I personally have no problems with cameras but can understand why some people don't want to feel like they are under surveillance at all times. I'm curious as to what would happen to these dirtballs even if they were caught on tape and actually charged with something. Would it be the usual "slap on the wrist" ?

"Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone . . . "

Kenzo's picture

AM wrote:
Chances are the people on the block already know who is doing the break ins and the thefts from autos. When something goes missing on our block there are two or three of the usual suspects who are definitely involved. I can't speak for that particular block or the area that surrounds it but I can say that around here that is usually the case - junkies looking for money for a quick fix. I personally have no problems with cameras but can understand why some people don't want to feel like they are under surveillance at all times. I'm curious as to what would happen to these dirtballs even if they were caught on tape and actually charged with something. Would it be the usual "slap on the wrist" ?

AM: That's the depressing part. 20 some-odd of the 57 repeat B/E offenders in our PSA have burglary rap sheets that take a ream of paper to print out. They re-offend like clockwork.

At the PPD meeting (not the outdoor one, the one with Commissioner Ramsey there), both the PPD and the DA's representatives hinted that we have some issues with our Common Pleas/Muni judges (which I don't disagree with).

Cameras can act somewhat of a "bug spray", they can retard some incidents. But they do help with positive ID, especially if it's somebody the 26th already knows all too well. That can make the difference between getting away with it and getting caught.

I know cameras make people uncomfortable, but that's kinda the point. They're not a babysitter either, they're a resource. Cameras don't eliminate the chaos that goes on with SEPTA vehicles for instance, but the presence of them there makes identification a LOT easier.

Like for instance the bus that was mowed down near Temple by an assault rifle.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

steveeboy's picture

a poster noted a while back that cops had, in fact, visited a resident who is known to them as into this sort of thing in this general area. I don't believe that person has anything to do with the store.

The fact that the crime happens within a certain radius of the store does not mean it is related to the store. I can pull up a google map of the area and find tons of similar hot spots all over the place. some with stores, some without stores.

I seem to recall lots of crime around Scoops, does ice cream cause crime?

Lots of incidents up on Cumberland between Memphis and Frankford, maybe good craft beer is the real culprit?

I suspect that a better correlation could be made if we could plot the known addresses of repeat offender burglars and petty thieves as discussed by Captain Cram.

But, picking one spot and looking at it for three weeks says nothing about an increase-- or decrease-- in crime.

we have no baseline for comparison.

all we know is someone just found a new source of data and now thinks they are Sherlock Holmes and wants everyone to put in surveillance cameras.

Sorry, not into the Orwellian fantasies of the internet crime fighters.

the original theory--that the "bodega" is somehow involved due to the "shady" people that go there--does not seem to be holding up very well.

I am also reminded of something Commissioner Ramsay said at the meeting last week:

He noted that while it was great people here were so involved and he wished he could have tons of bike cops, beat cops, etc. deployed here, the resources were needed elsewhere in the city because things in other neighborhoods were so bad compared to Fishtown.

Until somebody can provide the historical context and crime rates for years past, there simply is no reason to assume things are getting worse here just because you just got a google app that plots crime.

I live right by the store, I recall no sudden increase in crime, no discussion of crime, some mention of a junky stealing from a car, but of course the car was left unlocked.

if you lock your car doors, don't leave crap in your car, lock your house, and don't leave crap in your yard, the property crime issue fades away as the crooks tend to rob the foolish and forgetful people who leave their GPS, laptop, purse, wallet etc in plain view.

I feel no need for cameras when I got a legion of old ladies on stoops and corners, the various people hanging out at the store, my neighbors, etc. keeping a human eye on things.

(and regardless of the counter intuitive nature of it, I felt better when the notorious neighborhood business was up and running because that was even more neighbors on the street keeping watch)

My thesis is this:

a guy got murdered a couple of weeks ago, and the degenerates who perpetrated that crime were apprehended within days and are now sitting in jail where they will remain for a very long time.

some people are ed because they complained about a property linked to the recent murder and feel that it would not have occurred if only their complaints about loud parties and under age drinking were immediately addressed.

that is a sad story and is horrible for the families involved.

But that crime didn't suddenly turn the neighborhood into North Philly-- or even 26th District PSA1 or PSA2.

If we had perfect data going back to 1980 or so, I am gonna guess that we would find that crime has declined big time from what was going on during the crack era.

I had friends in school here then and their cars were being robbed 2-3 times in 6 months.

Do you see a bunch of "no radio" signs around any more???

Do people advise you to put a "no radio" sign up, take everything out of the car, and leave the doors open so you can avoid the inevitable crack head break in any more?

Do people still drive around with their plates attached to the INSIDE of the car so that they are not stolen off the bumper?

That should tell you something about the petty crime rate, the car break ins, etc.

Nah, things aren't degenerating. But some people just discovered crime stats.

And now they think they can properly deploy police resources based on google maps and that if we implement a mini-Foucauldian panopticon all will be well.

DO NOT WANT

Kenzo's picture

It's not a B/E, it's "misguided transient houseguests."

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Kenzo's picture

steveeboy wrote:
Do people still drive around with their plates attached to the INSIDE of the car so that they are not stolen off the bumper?

One of the new houses on the 2400 block of York St now has bars up on its windows. I don't think those homes are even 3 years old, no?

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Leo's picture

Kenzo wrote:
AM wrote:
… I'm curious as to what would happen to these dirtballs even if they were caught on tape and actually charged with something. Would it be the usual "slap on the wrist" ?

…At the PPD meeting (not the outdoor one, the one with Commissioner Ramsey there), both the PPD and the DA's representatives hinted that we have some issues with our Common Pleas/Muni judges (which I don't disagree with)…

Devil's Advocate:

Should people be going upstate for petty thefts where property damage is $50-200? Or are we better served by ordering them to pay restituion, putting them on probation, and monitoring their drug use while on probation?

More than anything the Judges in this City side with the Police. While officers may beg to differ, if a cop testifies, absent a video to the contrary, then the Judge will believe the officer. Meanwhile, if the officer and the DA do their jobs correctly, then there are no issues for trial and the accused either pleads or is found guilty.

If the police and DA are sloppy, though, that's a larger issue that affects everyone. The Commonwealth's agents must follow the rules of the Pa. and Federal Constitutions when investigating, arresting, and charging. If a junkie gets off because the police violated his rights when they searched him without reasonable suspicion, or arrested him without probable cause, that's not the fault of the junkie, the judge, the DA, or the defense attorney.

If everything's by the book, and the police tell the whole truth, then a defense attorney has no hook on which to hang his hat.

Mulvihill & Rushie LLC
The Fishtown Lawyers
Criminal Defense • Civil Trials
www.FishtownLaw.com
215.385.5291

dan

steveeboy wrote:
My thesis is this:

a guy got murdered a couple of weeks ago, and the degenerates who perpetrated that crime were apprehended within days and are now sitting in jail where they will remain for a very long time.

some people are ed because they complained about a property linked to the recent murder and feel that it would not have occurred if only their complaints about loud parties and under age drinking were immediately addressed.

that is a sad story and is horrible for the families involved.

But that crime didn't suddenly turn the neighborhood into North Philly-- or even 26th District PSA1 or PSA2.

I think this analysis is correct.
However, what I would say is that while it didn't "turn the neighborhood into North Philly" it did turn the neighborhood from "a bunch of folks who complained about, but basically tolerated, crime" to "a bunch of folks who are mad and not gonna take it anymore".

I love my neighborhood. It's because I love my neighborhood that I want the crime to be dealt with.

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

Leo's picture

steveeboy wrote:
…Until somebody can provide the historical context and crime rates for years past, there simply is no reason to assume things are getting worse here just because you just got a google app that plots crime…

Bingo. I'd wager that crime is actually down, we're just hearing about it more, and it's being reported to the police more. Remember that statistics are only as good as the source data. If the source data is wrong, then statistics mean nothing.

Mulvihill & Rushie LLC
The Fishtown Lawyers
Criminal Defense • Civil Trials
www.FishtownLaw.com
215.385.5291

steveeboy's picture

and the person that put bars up is dumb and doesn't realize they are making it worse for the neighbors since this is a universal sign of a bad area.

but of course they are dumb for buying one of those gross houses to begin with...

Just love that architecture, and the exposed gas and water meters are one of my favorite classy features!

Plenty of parking though!

Do you think they got in when they were 270k or 380k?

I loved watching that sign change prices up up up and then down down down...

Ironic that their bars will probable make someone less likely to buy than more don't ya think?

would you say there are MORE bars on windows in fishtown than there used to be or less?

Kenzo's picture

Leo wrote:
steveeboy wrote:
…Until somebody can provide the historical context and crime rates for years past, there simply is no reason to assume things are getting worse here just because you just got a google app that plots crime…

Bingo. I'd wager that crime is actually down, we're just hearing about it more, and it's being reported to the police more. Remember that statistics are only as good as the source data. If the source data is wrong, then statistics mean nothing.

The PPD publishes it all here:
https://www.crimereports.com/

The data comes directly from the Roundhouse.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

dan

I do want to add that I think naybor2deli has brought a lot of important points to the discussion.
* Folks hanging on a corner are not necessarily up to no good. (Although, I have to admit that a lot more are up to no good than I would have guessed 10 years ago.)
* Crime around a business does not necessarily mean the business is related to or caused that crime. It could be something as simple as having a repeat offender living nearby or it could be coincidence.

I'd also like to say that I'm kind of disappointed how some of the posts have been mocked, and people and opinions dismissed, simply because people are not the best writers. I'm not talking about simply saying, "I can't understand because of how poorly this is written." or "If you want to get your point across, it will help to write better." Those are both legitimate statements.

However, I have to wonder why this person isn't given the same slack some other people might be. For instance, if the writing was equally poor, but the author was a teenage girl writing about her need to access reproductive health care, would the same mockery and dismissal occur?

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

steveeboy's picture

and you can deal with crime without turning the neighborhood into east germany.

and you can deal with crime without freaking out when some poor people pitch a few tents and ask for help.

and you can deal with crime without slandering hard working business people and those who patronize their businesses.

and you can deal with crime without fomenting panic and hysteria and making the problem seem worse than it really is--which may hurt more than it helps if resources are misdirected, policy is not properly changed, etc.

Kenzo's picture

steveeboy wrote:
and you can deal with crime without turning the neighborhood into east germany.

and you can deal with crime without freaking out when some poor people pitch a few tents and ask for help.

and you can deal with crime without slandering hard working business people and those who patronize their businesses.

and you can deal with crime without fomenting panic and hysteria and making the problem seem worse than it really is--which may hurt more than it helps if resources are misdirected, policy is not properly changed, etc.

But you're dealing with nothing but dismissives.

Care to share your wisdom or will it be more of this:

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

AM's picture

Leo - I think they would be better served with a foot up their backsides personally. . . Not politically correct, not eloquently phrased or backed up with data but honest nontheless !

"Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone . . . "

steveeboy's picture

here's the problem with the data, the universal bureaucratic imperatives mean that you never get a long term data set where you can make good comparisons.

it seems like that only goes back to June--unless I missed the long term figures.

they always give you six months.

cops got a problem, if it comes out that crime is down, they will have resources removed, so, you never get long-term data.

if crime is up, they get in trouble, maybe a new chief, but they don't usually cut resources.

and you see this all over the place--do a google search on iraq or afghanistan for "the next six months are crucial" and you get a good idea of how this works.

it's not just cops.

it would be nice if we could look at same radius last year, was it more or less?

does this mean crime is up?

or is it just christmas?

does the same guy get caught, go to jail for 6 months, then come back and start robbing?

If we search UCR crimes from FBI--or just Philly murders--you can get back to late 80s early 90s and find that murders are down by like 40% since then.

But no one mentions that, they just freak if the rate increases from say 280 to 315.

Population in Philly has been decreasing for years along with crime.

Has the size of the police department decreased in a similar fashion despite the increase in technology, transport, etc.?

All huge questions.

Kenzo's picture

steveeboy wrote:
here's the problem with the data, the universal bureaucratic imperatives mean that you never get a long term data set where you can make good comparisons.

it seems like that only goes back to June--unless I missed the long term figures.

they always give you six months.

cops got a problem, if it comes out that crime is down, they will have resources removed, so, you never get long-term data.

if crime is up, they get in trouble, maybe a new chief, but they don't usually cut resources.

and you see this all over the place--do a google search on iraq or afghanistan for "the next six months are crucial" and you get a good idea of how this works.

it's not just cops.

it would be nice if we could look at same radius last year, was it more or less?

does this mean crime is up?

or is it just christmas?

does the same guy get caught, go to jail for 6 months, then come back and start robbing?

If we search UCR crimes from FBI--or just Philly murders--you can get back to late 80s early 90s and find that murders are down by like 40% since then.

But no one mentions that, they just freak if the rate increases from say 280 to 315.

Population in Philly has been decreasing for years along with crime.

Has the size of the police department decreased in a similar fashion despite the increase in technology, transport, etc.?

All huge questions.

Hmm so far this year... Stolen Auto
Reports Arrests
PSA-1 78 9
PSA-2 173 17
PSA-3 193 16

Highest concentration of auto theft is along Trenton Ave and north of it in PSA-3.

Burlgaries 2011 - up 12% citywide

Robberies Reported/Arrests made
PSA-1 54 19
PSA-2 41 9
PSA-3 83 26*

*Cram mentioned that robbery has risen dramatically this yr in PSA-3

Agg. Assault
Reported Arrests
PSA-1 36 11
PSA-2 28 9
PSA-3 24 20

Off my notes, I see the citywide stats for property crime has been updated. Residential burglaries are up 14% citywide.

http://phillypolice.com/assets/Uploads/CITYWIDEWK-51.pdf

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Leo's picture

AM wrote:
Leo - I think they would be better served with a foot up their backsides personally. . . Not politically correct, not eloquently phrased or backed up with data but honest nontheless !

So long as the police aren't doing the foot-in-the-backsiding, then there's not a legal issue regarding violation of civil rights, and therefore no defense regarding any such violation.

Mulvihill & Rushie LLC
The Fishtown Lawyers
Criminal Defense • Civil Trials
www.FishtownLaw.com
215.385.5291

Matt Benatar's picture

dan wrote:
I'd also like to say that I'm kind of disappointed how some of the posts have been mocked, and people and opinions dismissed, simply —
Empty factories to the east and all our waste
The shape of things that came shows on the broken workers face." Those are both legitimate statements.

However, I have to wonder why this person isn't given the same slack some other people might be. For instance, if the writing was equally poor, but the author was a teenage girl writing about her need to access reproductive health care, would the same mockery and dismissal occur?

When you enter a discussion and display writing at a 4th grade level, that is going to raise some flags, for a few reasons. It illustrates a lack of education and lack of exposure to written materials that are adult in context. It also is indicative of a learning disability, and a strong link to crime, according to clinical studies in prisons monitoring education during incarceration. Unfortunately, there is also a strong link to poverty.
Now, when you expose these conditions about yourself in a conversation regarding a relatively complex issue, naturally, your position is going to be taken less seriously than if you had a better regard for punctuation, spelling, and a more traditional argument structure. When you throw in some nonsense about The Pentagon and Occupy Philadelphia, you may as well be wearing a tinfoil hat because you sound crazy.
So, if someone had the same style of writing, but indicated they were an underaged girl looking for information on her reproductive rights, I would make the same assessment of her education and mental capacity, but there's a big difference in that she would be information SEEKING rather than misinformation SPEWING. I would never make fun of someone for asking honest questions, only ignorant pontifications.
I do think that it is unfair that the place was accused of illegitimate practices for no reason, but the OP had done a great disservice by shrouding his position in terrible writing, anti-newbie sentiment, and some confused political sentiment that nobody could quite decipher.

Love is a Mattlefield.

Kenzo's picture

This is what I think occurred:

1. DasFish writes the following post:

Quote:
The Norris St. Deli on the NE corner of Norris and Almond...is the place a bodega for smackheads looking to get their fix? The reason for the question is because every morning on my drive to work I see "characters" hanging out on the corner curiously eyeing me up as I pass by. The same groups of guys are there just hanging out when I come back home for lunch as well. It could just be my own paranoia, but I wanted to get a feel is anyone else sensed this. My apologies to the owner if this comes across as accusatory.

DasFish wants to know more about the deli. He, or she, doesn't feel right when he/she's near it. This person is ASKING QUESTIONS.

2. I cross posted this to SSFF

3. The rumor mill outside FTUS and SSFF picks this up and the "telephone game" beings. All of a sudden, "so and so says the Deli is a smack den and is posting all your %%%% online!!!" People get mad.

4. While that's going on, I note that theft crime close to the Deli seems high this month. 3 B&E's very close to the deli, and a PPD detective was out investigating one issue out in this way.

5. Someone had the bright idea to suggest that since Operation Fishtown Scripts, crime patterns have changed because the "folks who use to hang" around there kept nonsense crime down, and now that those people are gone/scattered, it's anything goes.

6. Naturally, the rumor mill sees the post from #5 and now it's blowing even more out of proportion.

Nobody wants to talk about crime in the area or the crime victims. Everyone's trying to blow hot air.

So, apparently nobody saw nuthin' and nuthin's happening down there so nobody gives a crap.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Fshtwn406's picture

Ummm... The owner was indicted like 2 years ago for involvement in fishtown operation refill. She was forging prescriptions for oxy and percocet and selling them. And yes this is a fact it was all over the newspapers. I'm not sure if it's the same owner.. I haven't been there since they were busted.

Fshtwn406's picture

Ummm... The owner was indicted like 2 years ago for involvement in fishtown operation refill. She was forging prescriptions for oxy and percocet and selling them. And yes this is a fact it was all over the newspapers. I'm not sure if it's the same owner.. I haven't been there since they were busted.

Lauraska's picture

Matt Benatar wrote:
So, if someone had the same style of writing, but indicated they were an underaged girl looking for information on her reproductive rights, I would make the same assessment of her education and mental capacity, but there's a big difference in that she would be information SEEKING rather than misinformation SPEWING. I would never make fun of someone for asking honest questions, only ignorant pontifications.

This.

Fshtwn406's picture

http://gantdaily.com/2010/10/23/corbett-announces-20-arrests-in-operation-fishtown-refill-linked-to-large-scale-prescription-drug-ring/

Susan Winczuk, 34, 859 Mercer St., Philadelphia, is charged with two counts of participating in a corrupt organization, one count of criminal conspiracy, one count of acquisition or obtaining of possession of a controlled substance by misrepresentation, fraud, forgery, deception or subterfuge, one count of manufacture, possession with the intent to deliver or delivery of a controlled substance, one count of possession of a controlled substance and one count of identity theft.

Fshtwn406's picture

Yes.. That's the owner and I lived in fishtown my whole life and everyone is well aware of that corner and many others that poison our neighborhood.

Lauraska's picture

Fshtwn406 wrote:
http://gantdaily.com/2010/10/23/corbett-announces-20-arrests-in-operation-fishtown-refill-linked-to-large-scale-prescription-drug-ring/

Susan Winczuk, 34, 859 Mercer St., Philadelphia, is charged with two counts of participating in a corrupt organization, one count of criminal conspiracy, one count of acquisition or obtaining of possession of a controlled substance by misrepresentation, fraud, forgery, deception or subterfuge, one count of manufacture, possession with the intent to deliver or delivery of a controlled substance, one count of possession of a controlled substance and one count of identity theft.

Before we go crazy, here....are we sure she is the owner or did she just work there? I want us to be VERY careful before we start accusing the business of being the problem, especially since the verbal rumor mill of Fishtown has already assumed that we are.

Kenzo's picture

The information about Susan is interesting.

However, there is no obvious linkage between the deli and three B/E's that occurred this month near the deli. Or the other near-dozen instances of theft-from-auto and theft close by.

So before the next person pipes up and screams that "we're pointing the finger at the deli" again, I'm gonna tell you right now: Blow it out your pie hole.

But if there's other information about the break-ins and the thefts... I as a property owner here would very much like to know about that because it's OUR neighborhood and OUR safety at risk here.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

dan

Kenzo wrote:
The information about Susan is interesting.

However, there is no obvious linkage between the deli and three B/E's that occurred this month near the deli. Or the other near-dozen instances of theft-from-auto and theft close by.

Precisely.
Therefore, the other information is merely gossip, unless some linkage is established to problematic behavior.

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

Kenzo's picture

If there's information about the break-ins and the thefts... I as a property owner here would very much like to know about that because it's OUR neighborhood and OUR safety at risk here.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

OMGREALLY's picture

Fshtwn406 wrote:
Ummm... The owner was indicted like 2 years ago for involvement in fishtown operation refill. She was forging prescriptions for oxy and percocet and selling them. And yes this is a fact it was all over the newspapers. I'm not sure if it's the same owner.. I haven't been there since they were busted.

CORRECTION.....She is NOT the owner ! She is the owners girlfriend.

OMGREALLY's picture

Lauraska wrote:
Fshtwn406 wrote:
http://gantdaily.com/2010/10/23/corbett-announces-20-arrests-in-operation-fishtown-refill-linked-to-large-scale-prescription-drug-ring/

Susan Winczuk, 34, 859 Mercer St., Philadelphia, is charged with two counts of participating in a corrupt organization, one count of criminal conspiracy, one count of acquisition or obtaining of possession of a controlled substance by misrepresentation, fraud, forgery, deception or subterfuge, one count of manufacture, possession with the intent to deliver or delivery of a controlled substance, one count of possession of a controlled substance and one count of identity theft.

Before we go crazy, here....are we sure she is the owner or did she just work there? I want us to be VERY careful before we start accusing the business of being the problem, especially since the verbal rumor mill of Fishtown has already assumed that we are.

SHE IS NOT THE OWNER !!

LIKETOTALLY's picture

OMGREALLY wrote:
Fshtwn406 wrote:
Ummm... The owner was indicted like 2 years ago for involvement in fishtown operation refill. She was forging prescriptions for oxy and percocet and selling them. And yes this is a fact it was all over the newspapers. I'm not sure if it's the same owner.. I haven't been there since they were busted.

CORRECTION.....She is NOT the owner ! She is the owners girlfriend.

Wow! So who's the boyfriend?

OMGREALLY's picture

LIKETOTALLY wrote:
OMGREALLY wrote:
Fshtwn406 wrote:
Ummm... The owner was indicted like 2 years ago for involvement in fishtown operation refill. She was forging prescriptions for oxy and percocet and selling them. And yes this is a fact it was all over the newspapers. I'm not sure if it's the same owner.. I haven't been there since they were busted.

NOT HER !!

CORRECTION.....She is NOT the owner ! She is the owners girlfriend.

Wow! So who's the boyfriend?

ExUnit4's picture

yea right. so she's the owners girlfriend. Like your living with someone or having a serious relationship and you don't kno wwhat they're doing?? He knows now, and he's still with her. What does that say about his credability?? Meanwhile, breakins, thefts and assaults are continueing. This past week alone 5 more within 100 yards of the store. Not to mention we've seen Shaun around again. You all remember Shaun. He's that fine young man that lived on Almond street back in 2005 with his parents and was caught and sentenced to 2 years for multi burglaries( took a plea for turning on his ring leader). then again in 2009 caught and sentenced again. Now he's out and I don't care what you say...he's back doing what he does best and if he's hanging around the store you do the math. maybe thats why the store always has its blinds drawn so we cant see whats going on inside???

Speak softly, the dashboard cam has a very sensative microphone

Kenzo's picture

I don't think it's a coinkidink that the PPD has been distributing their property crime fliers around the deli or that the crime maps since November have been showing a large uptick in property crimes in this section of Fishtown.

Sorry, that's just my opinion. If you disagree that's great. Jesus loves all His children.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

snailgem's picture

sometimes im amazed
--------------------

sometimes im amazed
at how people give.

there
(opinions)
on
something.

and truly:
have no clue
on
what they are taking.

meredith's picture

snailgem wrote:
sometimes im amazed
--------------------

sometimes im amazed
at how people give.

there
(opinions)
on
something.

and truly:
have no clue
on
what they are taking.

......... que?

“Try to learn to let what is unfair teach you.” – David Foster Wallace

Kenzo's picture

meredith wrote:
snailgem wrote:
sometimes im amazed
--------------------

sometimes im amazed
at how people give.

there
(opinions)
on
something.

and truly:
have no clue
on
what they are taking.

......... que?

I was expecting "mind your own business" but I'll take that... haiku.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

bozoloper's picture

Kenzo wrote:
meredith wrote:
snailgem wrote:
sometimes im amazed
--------------------

sometimes im amazed
at how people give.

there
(opinions)
on
something.

and truly:
have no clue
on
what they are taking.

......... que?

I was expecting "mind your own business" but I'll take that... haiku.

you guys ruined it. that was an awesome end to an awesome thread. i vote to have these final three comments removed and the thread locked. it will stand forever as a tribute to neighborhood relations.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

sdm's picture

Kenzo wrote:
meredith wrote:
snailgem wrote:
sometimes im amazed
--------------------

sometimes im amazed
at how people give.

there
(opinions)
on
something.

and truly:
have no clue
on
what they are taking.

......... que?

I was expecting "mind your own business" but I'll take that... haiku.

I see no haikus anywhere.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

Kenzo's picture

bozoloper wrote:
Kenzo wrote:
meredith wrote:
snailgem wrote:
sometimes im amazed
--------------------

sometimes im amazed
at how people give.

there
(opinions)
on
something.

and truly:
have no clue
on
what they are taking.

......... que?

I was expecting "mind your own business" but I'll take that... haiku.

you guys ruined it. that was an awesome end to an awesome thread. i vote to have these final three comments removed and the thread locked. it will stand forever as a tribute to neighborhood relations.

I second that motion.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

steveeboy's picture

I don't think you lock the thread when we finally have some real info here:

"we've seen Shaun around again. You all remember Shaun. He's that fine young man that lived on Almond street back in 2005 with his parents and was caught and sentenced to 2 years for multi burglaries( took a plea for turning on his ring leader). then again in 2009 caught and sentenced again. Now he's out and I don't care what you say...he's back doing what he does best "

probably the guy right there.

everybody knows it is him, he's got the MO and the record and whaddya know, he just got back to the hood and magically the burglaries start up again.

At the Holy Name meeting Capt Cram noted that they basically know who does this sort of crime and they know where they live and they can track it by their location and the crimes. but they cannot do anything unless they catch the guy in the act.

Now, back to the nonsense about the corner store:

"and if he's hanging around the store you do the math. maybe that's why the store always has its blinds drawn so we cant see whats going on inside???""

If "Shuan" lives here of course he goes to the store. everybody around here goes to the store because it is our store. store has nothing to do with the crime, other than geographic coincidence and perhaps "shaun" likes to get an arctic splash after he does his crimes.

the store has blinds drawn because at certain times of day the sun is really bright on Norris St . It's nice and toasty in the store due to the sun, but even in winter it gets a little hot some times. even with the blinds drawn it is really hot in summer.

what "math" would there be?

"shaun" is fencing stolen items in the store?

"shaun" is trading stolen goods for drugs in the store?

"shaun" is stealing items for the store?

there is no such behaviour observed in the store at any time.

the store has a huge amount of traffic from all sorts of people in hood at all times of day.

the store has legit items which are re-stocked when purchased. fresh milk, eggs, ice cream (not enough flavors, but still), chicken stock, spaghetti sauce, etc. the store does not trade cash for food stamps, does not loan money, keeps regular hours, does not "Close" in middle of day or at weird times, etc.

these are not the marks of a front or a shady store.

I am gonna go out on a limb and say that the "shaun" person is back to his old habits, that is why there is some crime going on around him, and that store just happens to be located in middle of it.

sounds like it is only a matter of time before "shaun" heads back upstate, and then the crime wave will end even though the store will remain in same locale with blinds drawn.

kwhln215's picture

This kid and the store have NO connection ( Besides him living up the street ) . If he is up to his old tricks thats they reason crime in up around Almond/norris/susky area .

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Why is it that the crimes and store get put together over and over? It is WRONG WRONG WRONG. What is the beef with the store?

When the thread first appeared, I made it a point to go over there, check it out for myself and even make a purchase in the store. It's clean, the people were nice and no gangs/thugs/orwhateverelse you want to call them were hanging outside.

It seems to me that there are certain people on here who have a beef with the store or just want to pot-stir.

FREE Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Kenzo's picture

Pure_Fishtown wrote:
Why is it that the crimes and store get put together over and over? It is WRONG WRONG WRONG. What is the beef with the store?

When the thread first appeared, I made it a point to go over there, check it out for myself and even make a purchase in the store. It's clean, the people were nice and no gangs/thugs/orwhateverelse you want to call them were hanging outside.

It seems to me that there are certain people on here who have a beef with the store or just want to pot-stir.

It's NOT the store! It's some fun people who reside very CLOSE to the store. The store isn't doing anything wrong, but the break-ins aren't some random dudes from North Philly who keep driving over and over to the same set of blocks. It has to be otherwise why are all the house break-ins all focused on that small triangle just south of where the deli is?

The person or people doing it LIVE here.

Yes, the g/f of the owner was arrested in Operation Fishtown Scripts. So what. Most perps doing this crap are males, not females.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

kwhln215's picture

I said it before the detectives KNOW who the Thief's are . They were at houses a few weeks ago but had NO evidence . The Guy who was just locked up for the bank robbery is being looked at for a handful fishtown break ins .

Kenzo's picture

kwhln215 wrote:
I said it before the detectives KNOW who the Thief's are . They were at houses a few weeks ago but had NO evidence . The Guy who was just locked up for the bank robbery is being looked at for a handful fishtown break ins .

I hope he gets caught doing this crap and hauled off because it needs to be nipped in the bud, pronto.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

snailgem's picture

remember true facts
------------------

can anyone tell me,
with true hard facts,
when was anyone ever
locked up on the corner
of norris n almond
for selling drugs?

bozoloper's picture

snailgem wrote:
remember true facts
------------------

can anyone tell me,
with true hard facts,
when was anyone ever
locked up on the corner
of norris n almond
for selling drugs?

i keep reading this in the voice of william shatner in my head. it's incredible.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

austen's picture

bozoloper wrote:
snailgem wrote:
remember true facts
------------------

can anyone tell me,
with true hard facts,
when was anyone ever
locked up on the corner
of norris n almond
for selling drugs?

i keep reading this in the voice of william shatner in my head. it's incredible.

I don't know - it's more of a William Carlos Williams vibe to me.

bozoloper's picture

austen wrote:
bozoloper wrote:
snailgem wrote:
remember true facts
------------------

can anyone tell me,
with true hard facts,
when was anyone ever
locked up on the corner
of norris n almond
for selling drugs?

i keep reading this in the voice of william shatner in my head. it's incredible.

I don't know - it's more of a William Carlos Williams vibe to me.

true, but i don't know what his voice sounds like.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.