Open Casting Call

Hope everyone is safe and doing well, post-storm!!

OPEN CASTING CALL
At LES-N-DOREEN’S HAPPY TAP
Friday, November 2nd from 7-10 PM

A major cable production company is currently in your town casting for original FISHTOWN FAMILIES that have heritage, personality and are not afraid to speak their minds!

The potential show’s premise is to tell the story of one of the most historic neighborhoods in America and CELEBRATE the traditions and customs that make Fishtown so unique!

If you are part of a Fishtown family and are interested in being on TV- we want to hear from you!

Have questions or can’t make it? Contact us ASAP at 954-294-2458 or

Alex
Casting
617-284-2825

Laurie's picture

Ugh. I hope this show never makes it on air.

FPDA's picture

I'm actually surprised that Doreen is going along with this abomination. She usually seems all about keeping the peace.

roma258's picture

casting wrote:
The potential show’s premise is to tell the story of one of the most historic neighborhoods in America and CELEBRATE the traditions and customs that make Fishtown so unique!

vs.

casting wrote:
Do you come from a LARGER THAN LIFE family living in Fishtown PA?
Has your way-of-life changed by "outsiders" moving in?
Is your neighborhood hardly recognizable with all the yuppies, hipsters & scenesters?
Are you fed up with fighting to preserve the traditions only known to the locals?

Not a good look.

ronchito's picture

Sad to see the Happy Tap participating in a production that likely aims to exploit/ridicule the area from which it pulls the vast majority of its business.

george's picture

You're not fooling anybody here. You want cartoon characters for your stupid show, over-the-top caricatures that in no way resemble a 'normal' Fishtown family but rather your preordained desire to exploit the most comically 'angry' and 'bitter' oldtimers you can find.

You already gave that much away with the previous posts here. No sale on the "celebrate" crap you're peddling now.

I could care less about your brain-dead show and whether it's successful or not, but please stop trying to patronize people here who know EXACTLY what you're up to.

Happy Halloween.

Kat's picture

george wrote:
You're not fooling anybody here. You want cartoon characters for your stupid show, over-the-top caricatures that in no way resemble a 'normal' Fishtown family but rather your preordained desire to exploit the most comically 'angry' and 'bitter' oldtimers you can find.

You already gave that much away with the previous posts here. No sale on the "celebrate" crap you're peddling now.

I could care less about your brain-dead show and whether it's successful or not, but please stop trying to patronize people here who know EXACTKY what you're up to.

Happy Halloween.

THIS. X 1.0000

And I agree that The Happy Tap is doing their patrons a disservice by allowing this in their establishment. And I too am surprised that they went along with this. There is no good that will come of this. It will just cause harsh feelings in our community and make the neighborhood look like a bunch of idiots. All while these guys rake in the dough.

Coder's picture

If anyone from Les & Doreen's looks at this site, Please, Please, Please....
Don't let this continue.
They're going to end up making an out of you, your establishment, and everyone of your patrons that participate.

Kat's picture

I sent them a message on Facebook. Hope they see it.

Coder's picture

I'll do the same when I get home.

george's picture

I'd encourage a lot of people to do the same. They may not have the slightest idea what this is really all about and just think it's something positive going on rather than exploitative (of them as well as residents).

Kenzo's picture

roma258 wrote:
casting wrote:
The potential show’s premise is to tell the story of one of the most historic neighborhoods in America and CELEBRATE the traditions and customs that make Fishtown so unique!

vs.

casting wrote:
Do you come from a LARGER THAN LIFE family living in Fishtown PA?
Has your way-of-life changed by "outsiders" moving in?
Is your neighborhood hardly recognizable with all the yuppies, hipsters & scenesters?
Are you fed up with fighting to preserve the traditions only known to the locals?

Not a good look.

Yeah just because you're changing your story and trying to make it all sound cute now and how you want to celebrate Fishtown's GENERATIONS OF HISTORY don't mean that we don't know what you're up to.

Suck it and get tha _____ OUT.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

LST's picture

It's just another reality show - UGH!

It's all so beautiful.

Jay19125's picture

Back to the drawing board, fellas.

Perhaps we're only one week away from "Greetings Original Fishtown Families! I am Alex of Casting, contacting you in respect of seeking assistance for family treasure of deposit gold..." &c. There's at least some running comic potential here.

Concur with being disappointed at Happy Tap lending their name to these exploitative clowns.

Lauraska's picture

Guys? This sort of angry reaction is exactly the sort of environment they are looking for. These shows thrive on this sort of drama and ire. If they are reading this, they are only becoming MORE interested in filming a show here. You realize that, right?

This is my passive aggressive signature. Yeah it's about you.

bozoloper's picture

am i the only one that thinks they've come for an in depth exploration of the local preference for pony bottles and the subtle intricacies of washers?

gotta get up and be somebody.

george's picture

Lauraska wrote:
Guys? This sort of angry reaction is exactly the sort of environment they are looking for. These shows thrive on this sort of drama and ire. If they are reading this, they are only becoming MORE interested in filming a show here. You realize that, right?

Gotta disagree on this one. I think the LAST thing they're looking for is people fully cognizant of exactly what they're up to and how exploitative it is. That kind of awareness undermines what they hope to do.

They want manufactured drama, yes, but they only get there by finding people who are either unaware and/or don't care about how they're being used. I'm for reducing the odds of that as much as possible.

Lauraska's picture

But George, you aren't their target viewer so they don't care. You can be edited out of footage, or it can be edited to make you look like the aggressor. Trust me, a few loud voices telling them to go away won't make a difference. Do you know how much heckling the cast gets when they film Jersey Shore or the Real World? A LOT. And it's all from people like us who realize how exploitative and fake these shows are. But you never see it on the show because it's easily deleted from the footage.

This is my passive aggressive signature. Yeah it's about you.

ronchito's picture

Lauraska wrote:
Guys? This sort of angry reaction is exactly the sort of environment they are looking for. These shows thrive on this sort of drama and ire. If they are reading this, they are only becoming MORE interested in filming a show here. You realize that, right?

I don't think they'd be interested in anything that exists in this thread as the anger here has nothing to do with the anti-newbie/Jerry Springer nonsense they're hoping to manufacture/capture.

**Sorry -- I wrote this concurrent with George's response -- wasn't intended to be a rough duplicate**

george's picture

I hear 'ya on that. In fact, I once WAS in a crowd at a punk club in Miami when 'Real World' came in and they wound up not using any of the footage because nobody wanted them there and let them know it very directly.

I know if they're determined to do it they'll find people perfectly willing to exploit themselves and make the neighborhood look ridiculous in the process. No illusions in that regard.

Just saying I see no harm in getting the word out as much as possible (to places like Les and Doreen's for example) that this is a 'Caveat Emptor' deal before they decide to go down that road.

LST's picture

Protest the bar for letting them do this!

It's all so beautiful.

Coder's picture

I agree with George, and hesitated posting because I don't want to feed into this.
IMO they want some local yokel to make an of himself. They may not care about heckling, or what "people like us", and I include myself in that group, want. But I don't care what they want.
I don't want them here. I don't want them making fun of my friends grandma's or grandpa's, who may or may not realize they're being exploited. And I'm not going to be quiet about it.
I think we should just send some newbies to the casting call, but just have them swear that yes, they were born and bred here...make up a back story and go sell them on the fact that you're a fifth generation Fishtowner with two Masters degrees, a hybrid car, a dog, and a loft....or something like that.

Lauraska's picture

LST wrote:
Protest the bar for letting them do this!

Please don't. I don't think that Doreen is being malicious here. In fact, I'm pretty sure the motivation is to help a family make some money and maybe get the bar some publicity in the process. I know we all have our opinions about corner bars or whatever, but I just don't want a mob showing up to protest this one when the real problem here is the show promoters, not Doreen.

This is my passive aggressive signature. Yeah it's about you.

stein's picture

You might as well make it as tough as possible. If local businesses are pressured to not let them film inside (and I dont even think pressured is quite the right word given the situation) then it becomes pretty tough to actually get enough footage to put together a show.

Ken Milano (before he went and edited this comment out to avoid the consequences of having wrote it) wrote:
I don’t have much sympathy for renters, for me, they are non citizens

george's picture

Agreed on not 'protesting' the bar itself. They may very well have NO idea what this is really all about and think it's all in fun.

I'd say a call or e-mail explaining your feelings would suffice.

(edit: also nothing wrong with GOING there Friday---spending a few bucks in the process---and making your feelings known without being unnecessarily hostile)

Coder's picture

Agreed the bar shouldn't be punished. You could however, patronize the bar that particular night, and make your feelings known to anyone who will listen. I think it would be quite interesting to have a bunch of atypical Fishtowners there.

dan

I'd say go with a creative, alternate response.
Be extremely friendly, but also have some fun.
Something like the Ku KIux Clowns:
http://www.redletterchristians.org/ku-klux-clowns-in-east-tennessee/

(Unfortunately I have a prior commitment. Otherwise I'd love to coordinate something like this.)

This is not a signature.

dan

Or maybe just patronize the bar that night and continuously talk about all the good people in Fishtown - both old and new.

This is not a signature.

Coder's picture

Happy Hour?

th's picture

I am so tempted to create a fake account (castingpowderhouse) and troll Coder's inbox:
Dear Mr. Coder, you seem to be just the grumpy old man type we are looking for for our new show.

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

Kenzo's picture

Why isn't this crap in the Star or the Spirit?

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

sdm's picture

Coder wrote:
Happy Hour?

HH during their casting call?

There is no grace, there is no guilt. This is the law: Do what thou wilt!

Kat's picture

Coder wrote:
I agree with George, and hesitated posting because I don't want to feed into this.
IMO they want some local yokel to make an of himself. They may not care about heckling, or what "people like us", and I include myself in that group, want. But I don't care what they want.
I don't want them here. I don't want them making fun of my friends grandma's or grandpa's, who may or may not realize they're being exploited. And I'm not going to be quiet about it.
I think we should just send some newbies to the casting call, but just have them swear that yes, they were born and bred here...make up a back story and go sell them on the fact that you're a fifth generation Fishtowner with two Masters degrees, a hybrid car, a dog, and a loft....or something like that.

I agree 100%. I don't patronize bars, but this is a well-known and loved neighborhood establishment and I would hate to have them taken advantage of and in the long run, be the butt of a very public joke. I am sure that that is not what they want. And the bar should NOT be punished for agreeing to this - who knows, maybe the decision was made without the owners consent - maybe a manager or someone else. You never know.

milkbox's picture

If they find the right family, it won't matter much what the neighborhood thinks. And I'd wager a fair amount of families will try really hard to *be* the right family.

An important message now would seem to be: "We won't watch."

or would you? you know, to make sure it's not too exploitative and all...

Coder's picture

sdm wrote:
Coder wrote:
Happy Hour?

HH during their casting call?

Yes.
I'm interested in the process, and the result.

Coder's picture

I'm gonna go smoke all over them.

Kat's picture

milkbox wrote:
If they find the right family, it won't matter much what the neighborhood thinks. And I'd wager a fair amount of families will try really hard to *be* the right family.

An important message now would seem to be: "We won't watch."

or would you? you know, to make sure it's not too exploitative and all...

Depending on how much money they are willing to fork over to the "right" family, you are probably right. It may not matter what we say. But it won't stop me from saying something.

dan

I'm wondering if there might be some inspiration in this story:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/1e89d7d8-22e2-11e2-ac85-e669876c6a24_story.html

This is not a signature.

george's picture

I have to work Friday (what else is new?) but would LOVE to go otherwise. You guys should do it. Why not try to upend this thing with a little positive creativity while also making your feelings known and dropping a few buck at Happy Tap in the process? This is the kind of 'pranksterism' you can have fun with and still make a valid point.

For that matter, if this garbage program actually goes forward I've got ZERO doubt they'll also descend on us at JB's at some point for equally ludicrous and cliched "hipster/newbie/blah blah" nonsense but I can certainly help take care of THAT.

Coder's picture

th wrote:
I am so tempted to create a fake account (castingpowderhouse) and troll Coder's inbox:
Dear Mr. Coder, you seem to be just the grumpy old man type we are looking for for our new show.

Compliments will get you everywhere.

Kenzo's picture

Let's get Irish John to do quizzo right at the same time with lifers like Coder and Jeffro there while some newbs yarnbomb something in the bar.

They'll leave out of sheer boredom.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Lauraska's picture

Also, if they come with cameras on Friday, you should insist that they either post signs outside the bar that say anyone who enters is subject to being filmed OR get your written consent to film.

This is my passive aggressive signature. Yeah it's about you.

george's picture

I saw Irish John at JB's last week (he was up for a show).

He was being quite Irish and apparently overjoyed to see me. He even called me 'Paul.' Twice.

(but I love him)

milkbox's picture

Kat wrote:
Depending on how much money they are willing to fork over to the "right" family, you are probably right. It may not matter what we say. But it won't stop me from saying something.

I do understand wanting to say something, and it's certainly everyone's right, but there's a part of me that can't help think that Laura's not off-base with the 'ire = interest' idea...

If I were a producer walking into a crowded Les & Doreen's, I'd just see 'potential viewer' stamped on their foreheads, regardless of what they were saying.

Coder's picture

Surprising, some L&D regulars know nothing about this.
I hope this isn't the only place they advertised.

roma258's picture

I still say there is a non-negligible chance that we are being trolled.

dan

roma258 wrote:
I still say there is a non-negligible chance that we are being trolled.

The email address in the posting is indeed the email address that the original poster used to register.

This is not a signature.

LST's picture

I might have to pop in for a few laughs, and to see who these people are.

It's all so beautiful.

jbette01's picture

Kenzo wrote:
Why isn't this crap in the Star or the Spirit?

The production company cancelled their interview with the Star.

LST's picture

So, who is going to show up to see how this plays out?

It's all so beautiful.

Coder's picture

I am interested in going to my local tap room for a drink tomorrow after work.

StarEditor's picture

They did indeed cancel on me, at midnight the night before the scheduled interview. I've been working to put a story together on this for a little while. They don't seem to want to give me any details all of the sudden. But I will absolutely be at this casting call tomorrow. Look for a story next week.

Ali Eaves
Managing Editor, STAR Community Newsweekly

215-354-3113

Kat's picture

They got back to me on facebook - they said "I will talk to Doreen today and show her the thread, I don't believe she was asked about it." But that was it.

Coder's picture

Hmmm....will have to check tomorrow I guess.

StarEditor's picture

Employee at Les & Doreen's just said on the phone that he isn't aware of it.

Ali Eaves
Managing Editor, STAR Community Newsweekly

215-354-3113

bozoloper's picture

ooo, the plot thickens.

has anyone actually called the number they put in the post?

gotta get up and be somebody.

Coder's picture

That would be too easy.
Call 'em, Boz.
Report back.

bozoloper's picture

Coder wrote:
That would be too easy.
Call 'em, Boz.
Report back.

tooooo quiet in my office.

gotta get up and be somebody.

Coder's picture

Just called Alex, she said, and I quote...
"Ahh,...we checked with the owners, and as far as I know its still going on."..
So if the owners were trying to plead ignorance, Alex just threw them under the bus.

austen's picture

Anyone email the address above?

Matt Benatar's picture

They left a flyer on my windshield last night.
They're definitely going to get a family signed up.

Love is a Mattlefield.

LST's picture

So, who is most likely to shine around here, and get a deal with these producers?

It's all so beautiful.

StarEditor's picture

Also spoke to Alex. She said Heather and Sarah, who are the two Powderhouse casting representatives who have been staying in the city (they will be the ones at the casting call tomorrow) did reach out to L&D's, and the bar did okay the casting call.

Regarding Powderhouse's first Fishtown.us casting post (with the “what you HATE about how the place has changed” language), Alex said she just copied that from the original Powderhouse Craigslist ad, which she didn’t write—she said it was the same language from the ad Powderhouse had posted in the past to cast for its "Southie Rules" show in Boston.

Here's a link describing that show, about a family that, "Despite their family differences, they rally together for their daily turf war against the yuppies that are overrunning their territory," a network release describes. "These 'Southies' will stop at nothing to protect their way of life from the occupation, that is, if they don't kill each other first."

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-post/ae-orders-southie-rules-reality-series-39116

Since Powderhouse has been “learning more about Fishtown,” Alex said, she posted the above ad with the new description of the show’s premise.

Ali Eaves
Managing Editor, STAR Community Newsweekly

215-354-3113

Kat's picture

StarEditor wrote:
Also spoke to Alex. She said Heather and Sarah, who are the two Powderhouse casting representatives who have been staying in the city (they will be the ones at the casting call tomorrow) did reach out to L&D's, and the bar did okay the casting call.

Regarding Powderhouse's first Fishtown.us casting post (with the “what you HATE about how the place has changed” language), Alex said she just copied that from the original Powderhouse Craigslist ad, which she didn’t write—she said it was the same language from the ad Powderhouse had posted in the past to cast for its "Southie Rules" show in Boston.

Here's a link describing that show, about a family that, "Despite their family differences, they rally together for their daily turf war against the yuppies that are overrunning their territory," a network release describes. "These 'Southies' will stop at nothing to protect their way of life from the occupation, that is, if they don't kill each other first."

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-post/ae-orders-southie-rules-reality-series-39116

Since Powderhouse has been “learning more about Fishtown,” Alex said, she posted the above ad with the new description of the show’s premise.

Not sure that makes it any better. Pitting people against each other in any community is not a good thing. At. All.

ronchito's picture

StarEditor wrote:
Since Powderhouse has been “learning more about Fishtown,” Alex said, she posted the above ad with the new description of the show’s premise.

Obvious BS. (not on your part Mikala, on theirs!)

StarEditor's picture

Well, we'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm very curious to see how things go. If you happen to go and see me, please say hi!

Ali Eaves
Managing Editor, STAR Community Newsweekly

215-354-3113

2014 york's picture

This is too fun. Shame I don't watch TV. I only need to stand on the corner of York and Coral to watch the premise of this series in real life. I'm sure they won't have any trouble finding the right family. What are the chances the Mother is named Barbra?

george's picture

Heard last night the producers already approached JB's and were told "thanks, but no thanks." Hope they find plenty more of that.

Matt Benatar's picture

Reading what I can on the "Southie Rules" show, what I suspected is looking true: Nobody on the show looks good. My opinion of South Boston just dropped by reading it. Im sure they'll get a family, but I hope they don't. This will not be a feather in our cap.

Love is a Mattlefield.

LST's picture

StarEditor wrote:
Well, we'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm very curious to see how things go. If you happen to go and see me, please say hi!

Will you be wearing your reporter hat?

It's all so beautiful.

StarEditor's picture

I don't happen to have one, but my notebook and nosiness should give me away!

Ali Eaves
Managing Editor, STAR Community Newsweekly

215-354-3113

Kenzo's picture

2014 york wrote:
This is too fun. Shame I don't watch TV. I only need to stand on the corner of York and Coral to watch the premise of this series in real life. I'm sure they won't have any trouble finding the right family. What are the chances the Mother is named Barbra?

Maybe they can chronicle the family that has a son sitting in CFCF right now for first-degree murder.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Kenzo's picture

Or, how about the other family who has a particular family member that builds houses, doesn't get any permits when he can help it, put up an entire building on Frankford Avenue with practically zero permits and rented the first floor out to some schmuck who wanted to put in a sweepstakes cafe within weeks of those things being outlawed by the Commonwealth.... when anyone questions him he tries to mook them out and also tried to SWAT me by calling the 26th District Dispatch phone number and telling people on Fishtown.US that I'm testing people's doorhandles (and I'm not the only one he's pulled this on), then tried to pack a zoning meeting with his pals who all live outside the 500' circle of a project he's decided to start up---his largest one in Fishtown---failed at it and the 26th District had to be called out because he threatened assault?

I wouldn't mind seeing that family on TV.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

bozoloper's picture

speaking of, i saw two guys setting things up in there. they said it was going to be a pharmacy?

gotta get up and be somebody.

JedicusMaximus's picture

Here is a big sign inside that says pharmacy on it. But who knows when if is going to open, I haven't seen any much progress there in months.

10011101

Kenzo's picture

bozoloper wrote:
speaking of, i saw two guys setting things up in there. they said it was going to be a pharmacy?

Not the project I'm referring to.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

bozoloper's picture

Kenzo wrote:
bozoloper wrote:
speaking of, i saw two guys setting things up in there. they said it was going to be a pharmacy?

Not the project I'm referring to.

not the online casino?

gotta get up and be somebody.

bonzombiekitty's picture

Kenzo wrote:
bozoloper wrote:
speaking of, i saw two guys setting things up in there. they said it was going to be a pharmacy?

Not the project I'm referring to.

Leopard St project (I could tell the guy on that project is scummy, I'm trying to figure out exactly how scummy he is)?

Kenzo's picture

bonzombiekitty wrote:
Kenzo wrote:
bozoloper wrote:
speaking of, i saw two guys setting things up in there. they said it was going to be a pharmacy?

Not the project I'm referring to.

Leopard St project (I could tell the guy on that project is scummy, I'm trying to figure out exactly how scummy he is)?

Oh the neighbors and also the nearby businesses just LUV him. Luv Luv Luv. Went to the ZBA hearing for it to watch the ____ show but due to some lawyer drama he's having, the case is continued into January. Expect this one to go to Common Pleas. He wants to shove in 12 units into a space that can really only fit four rowhomes, but they'll be townhouses all with garage fronts and he also wants to go below the required off-street parking requirements since the zoning calls for a parking space for every 1/2 housing unit (so that would mean 24 parking spots).

There was also a community garden sitting on the parcel which he's mowed down and there's a crapped-out truck now sitting in the lot, which is sort of an omen to the quality of the product he erects. Dude definitely burned his bridges with the neighbors.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Coder's picture

Coder wrote:
I am interested in going to my local tap room for a drink tomorrow after work.

Considering changing taprooms and bailing on this.

bonzombiekitty's picture

Kenzo wrote:

Oh the neighbors and also the nearby businesses just LUV him. Luv Luv Luv. Went to the ZBA hearing for it to watch the ____ show but due to some lawyer drama he's having, the case is continued into January. Expect this one to go to Common Pleas. He wants to shove in 12 units into a space that can really only fit four rowhomes, but they'll be townhouses all with garage fronts and he also wants to go below the required off-street parking requirements since the zoning calls for a parking space for every 1/2 housing unit (so that would mean 24 parking spots).

That FNA meeting was crazy. Such a huuuuge difference between his presentation and teh one preceding it. IIRC, there were no garage fronts, there would have been garages for a couple of the units in the rear courtyard, which would have been accessed via an entry and exit with a unit over it.

Quote:
There was also a community garden sitting on the parcel which he's mowed down and there's a crapped-out truck now sitting in the lot, which is sort of an omen to the quality of the product he erects. Dude definitely burned his bridges with the neighbors.

Yep. I was wondering what happened in regards to that. Last I had heard, the land was not owned by him (though he said it was), but then the garden got cut down. So I figured he won the zoning fight and was going to build. Although he may actually own the land now, I am happy he still hasn't gotten the variance.

I went into that meeting against the project, but prepared to be convinced that it could work. After the way that guy acted, there was no way in heck I was going to vote in favor. Even if his architect (who I felt bad for, he seemed to have no clue as to what he had become involved in) had convinced me that the idea could work OK, I do NOT want that guy developing it.

Big Rog's picture

No way, Jose!
I thought about it, because I have a larger than life personality, but everybody knows my brother would just make us all look like a bunch of poster children for poor life choices.
My brother watches that one show about Sugar Boo Boo or whatever, and that family might be making a few bucks, but they look really bad. From what I can tell about the mom, she has no discernible neck, a black belt in diabetes, and a grandkid with the wrong number of thumbs. Not worth it. Prostitutes only sell their time and their keester. What would you be for selling your whole future and your neighborhood's reputation?
We should go to that place and really rile up the joint. I haven't put a banana up a tailpipe since I saw Eddie Murphy do it, and it would good to teach something cool to my sons, since they're pretty much destined to be lame without my guidance.
Keep it clean, guys. No deer musk in the vents or anything. It's best to save that move as a threat. It's a last ditch kind of move.

twitter.com/bigbigrogrog

austen's picture

Big Rog wrote:
No way, Jose!
I thought about it, because I have a larger than life personality, but everybody knows my brother would just make us all look like a bunch of poster children for poor life choices.
My brother watches that one show about Sugar Boo Boo or whatever, and that family might be making a few bucks, but they look really bad. From what I can tell about the mom, she has no discernible neck, a black belt in diabetes, and a grandkid with the wrong number of thumbs. Not worth it. Prostitutes only sell their time and their keester. What would you be for selling your whole future and your neighborhood's reputation?
We should go to that place and really rile up the joint. I haven't put a banana up a tailpipe since I saw Eddie Murphy do it, and it would good to teach something cool to my sons, since they're pretty much destined to be lame without my guidance.
Keep it clean, guys. No deer musk in the vents or anything. It's best to save that move as a threat. It's a last ditch kind of move.

I think I love you.

Kat's picture

austen wrote:
Big Rog wrote:
No way, Jose!
I thought about it, because I have a larger than life personality, but everybody knows my brother would just make us all look like a bunch of poster children for poor life choices.
My brother watches that one show about Sugar Boo Boo or whatever, and that family might be making a few bucks, but they look really bad. From what I can tell about the mom, she has no discernible neck, a black belt in diabetes, and a grandkid with the wrong number of thumbs. Not worth it. Prostitutes only sell their time and their keester. What would you be for selling your whole future and your neighborhood's reputation?
We should go to that place and really rile up the joint. I haven't put a banana up a tailpipe since I saw Eddie Murphy do it, and it would good to teach something cool to my sons, since they're pretty much destined to be lame without my guidance.
Keep it clean, guys. No deer musk in the vents or anything. It's best to save that move as a threat. It's a last ditch kind of move.

I think I love you.

I'm thinking of starting a Big Rog Fan Page on FB.

sdm's picture

Kat wrote:
austen wrote:
Big Rog wrote:
No way, Jose!
I thought about it, because I have a larger than life personality, but everybody knows my brother would just make us all look like a bunch of poster children for poor life choices.
My brother watches that one show about Sugar Boo Boo or whatever, and that family might be making a few bucks, but they look really bad. From what I can tell about the mom, she has no discernible neck, a black belt in diabetes, and a grandkid with the wrong number of thumbs. Not worth it. Prostitutes only sell their time and their keester. What would you be for selling your whole future and your neighborhood's reputation?
We should go to that place and really rile up the joint. I haven't put a banana up a tailpipe since I saw Eddie Murphy do it, and it would good to teach something cool to my sons, since they're pretty much destined to be lame without my guidance.
Keep it clean, guys. No deer musk in the vents or anything. It's best to save that move as a threat. It's a last ditch kind of move.

I think I love you.

I'm thinking of starting a Big Rog Fan Page on FB.

Just when I want to walk away from the forum, this happens.

There is no grace, there is no guilt. This is the law: Do what thou wilt!

dan

I'm nominating Big Rog for "The Fishtown.US Thad K. Memorial Community Service Award".

This is not a signature.

LST's picture

So, who will be crowed the mouth of the hood for the show?

It's all so beautiful.

george's picture

Soul Man wrote:
I'm nominating Big Rog for "The Fishtown.US Thad K. Memorial Community Service Award".

Seconded.

Big Rog's picture

Seven o'clock. You. Me. Rally caps. Bananas. Tailpipes.
Fishtown needs you. Let's roll.

twitter.com/bigbigrogrog

LST's picture

Wear your wifebeaters and sweats! Oh, a few babies hanging off your hips might advance one!

It's all so beautiful.

Kenzo's picture

bonzombiekitty wrote:
Kenzo wrote:

Oh the neighbors and also the nearby businesses just LUV him. Luv Luv Luv. Went to the ZBA hearing for it to watch the ____ show but due to some lawyer drama he's having, the case is continued into January. Expect this one to go to Common Pleas. He wants to shove in 12 units into a space that can really only fit four rowhomes, but they'll be townhouses all with garage fronts and he also wants to go below the required off-street parking requirements since the zoning calls for a parking space for every 1/2 housing unit (so that would mean 24 parking spots).

That FNA meeting was crazy. Such a huuuuge difference between his presentation and teh one preceding it. IIRC, there were no garage fronts, there would have been garages for a couple of the units in the rear courtyard, which would have been accessed via an entry and exit with a unit over it.

Quote:
There was also a community garden sitting on the parcel which he's mowed down and there's a crapped-out truck now sitting in the lot, which is sort of an omen to the quality of the product he erects. Dude definitely burned his bridges with the neighbors.

Yep. I was wondering what happened in regards to that. Last I had heard, the land was not owned by him (though he said it was), but then the garden got cut down. So I figured he won the zoning fight and was going to build. Although he may actually own the land now, I am happy he still hasn't gotten the variance.

I went into that meeting against the project, but prepared to be convinced that it could work. After the way that guy acted, there was no way in heck I was going to vote in favor. Even if his architect (who I felt bad for, he seemed to have no clue as to what he had become involved in) had convinced me that the idea could work OK, I do NOT want that guy developing it.

Oops yeah you're correct, curb cuts were going to go in at the back--no garage fronts.

A bunch of people I know where at that zoning meeting--I didn't know about it until much later--and after I found out who it was I can see precisely why the zoning meeting turned out the way it did.

By the way you should go look him up in municipal court. It's a gas. The latest case he's involved in is over selling a house with mold in it, according to the complaint. I met the folks suing him. They "luv" him too.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

Kenzo's picture

At casting party. Nobody's taking what they're selling.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

jbette01's picture

Kenzo wrote:
At casting party. Nobody's taking what they're selling.

Amen.

ronchito's picture

Kenzo wrote:
At casting party. Nobody's taking what they're selling.

Speak for yourself.

FPDA's picture

Kenzo wrote:
At casting party. Nobody's taking what they're selling.

Are they at least buying beers?

dan

Kenzo wrote:
At casting party. Nobody's taking what they're selling.

Awesome.
Let's hope it stays that way.

This is not a signature.

sdm's picture

Good to hear. A show of this nature would just further divide the existing gap between people who have called the neighborhood home for generations, and those who are just trying to start a life here. Instead of a show that focuses on the divide, it should celebrate the ways that these, otherwise, disparate groups, have come together despite uncommon backgrounds to enact positive change.

There is no grace, there is no guilt. This is the law: Do what thou wilt!

LST's picture

sdm wrote:
Good to hear. A show of this nature would just further divide the existing gap between people who have called the neighborhood home for generations, and those who are just trying to start a life here. Instead of a show that focuses on the divide, it should celebrate the ways that these, otherwise, disparate groups, have come together despite uncommon backgrounds to enact positive change.

So, no locals showed up to exploit themselves for this show?: Maybe there are just too many stupid reality shows on.

So, they didn't get anyone to talk to them about being on this stupid show?

It's all so beautiful.

ronchito's picture

LST wrote:
sdm wrote:
Good to hear. A show of this nature would just further divide the existing gap between people who have called the neighborhood home for generations, and those who are just trying to start a life here. Instead of a show that focuses on the divide, it should celebrate the ways that these, otherwise, disparate groups, have come together despite uncommon backgrounds to enact positive change.

So, no locals showed up to exploit themselves for this show?: Maybe there are just too many stupid reality shows on.

So, they didn't get anyone to talk to them about being on this stupid show?

I can't say 100% that nobody was interested, but it sure didn't seem that way and there was definitely not a line out the door.

Newcomer's picture

sdm wrote:
Good to hear. A show of this nature would just further divide the existing gap between people who have called the neighborhood home for generations, and those who are just trying to start a life here. Instead of a show that focuses on the divide, it should celebrate the ways that these, otherwise, disparate groups, have come together despite uncommon backgrounds to enact positive change.

That was beautiful.

dan

I hope the casting call results are indicative of the response they get.

My fear is that it only takes one family with dollar signs in their eyes, and perhaps a twisted desire for fame/infamy, to call a phone number or send an email to make this show happen.

This is not a signature.

sdm's picture

I really need to watch this Honey Boo Boo show. I'm very behind on everything average America finds popular. I only learned what Gangman Style was two nights ago.

There is no grace, there is no guilt. This is the law: Do what thou wilt!

dan

sdm wrote:
I really need to watch this Honey Boo Boo show.

I've only seen clips online, but I have to say my impression is that you'd be better off if you didn't.

Quote:
I only learned what Gangman Style was two nights ago.

I have a friend who works in Gangnam, so I saw it pretty early on.
Plus, I have another friend who does a killer Psy impersonation.

This is not a signature.

george's picture

Soul Man wrote:
I hope the casting call results are indicative of the response they get.

My fear is that it only takes one family with dollar signs in their eyes, and perhaps a twisted desire for fame/infamy, to call a phone number or send an email to make this show happen.

Ideally, the producers will be frustrated enough to pack their bags and find their suckers elsewhere.

Realistically, they'll probably find what they're looking for because of the reasons listed above.

My hope would be enough local businesses become clued in to what's actually going on and decide "publicity" like this isn't worth the high probability of making themselves and the neighborhood itself look ridiculous.

Any of us could probably sit here and write the scripts for this nonsense, anyway. Let's see: 'oldtimer' family gets dropped in 'hipster' bar (and vice-versa) with ensuing 'fish-out-of-water' tensions/bitterness, etc. fueled by copious amounts of alcohol. How original. zzzzz.

brooke's picture

Kenzo wrote:
bonzombiekitty wrote:
Kenzo wrote:

Oh the neighbors and also the nearby businesses just LUV him. Luv Luv Luv. Went to the ZBA hearing for it to watch the ____ show but due to some lawyer drama he's having, the case is continued into January. Expect this one to go to Common Pleas. He wants to shove in 12 units into a space that can really only fit four rowhomes, but they'll be townhouses all with garage fronts and he also wants to go below the required off-street parking requirements since the zoning calls for a parking space for every 1/2 housing unit (so that would mean 24 parking spots).

That FNA meeting was crazy. Such a huuuuge difference between his presentation and teh one preceding it. IIRC, there were no garage fronts, there would have been garages for a couple of the units in the rear courtyard, which would have been accessed via an entry and exit with a unit over it.

Quote:
There was also a community garden sitting on the parcel which he's mowed down and there's a crapped-out truck now sitting in the lot, which is sort of an omen to the quality of the product he erects. Dude definitely burned his bridges with the neighbors.

Yep. I was wondering what happened in regards to that. Last I had heard, the land was not owned by him (though he said it was), but then the garden got cut down. So I figured he won the zoning fight and was going to build. Although he may actually own the land now, I am happy he still hasn't gotten the variance.

I went into that meeting against the project, but prepared to be convinced that it could work. After the way that guy acted, there was no way in heck I was going to vote in favor. Even if his architect (who I felt bad for, he seemed to have no clue as to what he had become involved in) had convinced me that the idea could work OK, I do NOT want that guy developing it.

Oops yeah you're correct, curb cuts were going to go in at the back--no garage fronts.

A bunch of people I know where at that zoning meeting--I didn't know about it until much later--and after I found out who it was I can see precisely why the zoning meeting turned out the way it did.

By the way you should go look him up in municipal court. It's a gas. The latest case he's involved in is over selling a house with mold in it, according to the complaint. I met the folks suing him. They "luv" him too.

Ah, I totally know the character to which you're referring and I think we've discussed him a few times before in person. As does Roma258. The fact that this kind of thing exists here is so Tammany Hall to me. How are there not enough checks and balances in government to make sure this stuff isn't allowed to happen?

Former attorney and current CITYSPACE real estate agent extraordinaire

stein's picture

re: honey boo boo, and all reality tv

anything worth seeing ends up on the soup, so let them waste their time picking out the choice clips so you don't have to bother. it's 22 worthwhile minutes.

Ken Milano (before he went and edited this comment out to avoid the consequences of having wrote it) wrote:
I don’t have much sympathy for renters, for me, they are non citizens

Matt Benatar's picture

They have a sign hanging up in Primo's. It'll happen, unless it's a split casting effort between a few cities / neighborhoods, and another place shows better cooperation and has an especially goofy family.

Love is a Mattlefield.

StarEditor's picture

Matt Benatar wrote:
They have a sign hanging up in Primo's. It'll happen, unless it's a split casting effort between a few cities / neighborhoods, and another place shows better cooperation and has an especially goofy family.

A sign saying they are going to have a casting call there at Primo's?

Ali Eaves
Managing Editor, STAR Community Newsweekly

215-354-3113

Matt Benatar's picture

StarEditor wrote:
Matt Benatar wrote:
They have a sign hanging up in Primo's. It'll happen, unless it's a split casting effort between a few cities / neighborhoods, and another place shows better cooperation and has an especially goofy family.

A sign saying they are going to have a casting call there at Primo's?

No! Sorry, I wasn't clear. It was just a sign that relayed their intentions. Here's a pic I found on instagram. Not mine.
http://instagr.am/p/RlF83iyKdN/
My point was that they are using all outlets, and they will eventually get a big obnoxious family that can't wait to embarrass us all.

Love is a Mattlefield.

Coder's picture

I'll give you 2-1 that the name starts with a Mc or Mac.

Matt Benatar's picture

Coder wrote:
I'll give you 2-1 that the name starts with a Mc or Mac.

I fink das a bit racialist, innit?

Love is a Mattlefield.

Coder's picture

Don't care. Is is racist if its true?
I'd rather be honest than politically correct.

austen's picture

Matt Benatar wrote:
Coder wrote:
I'll give you 2-1 that the name starts with a Mc or Mac.

I fink das a bit racialist, innit?

AliG!

LST's picture

Matt Benatar wrote:
StarEditor wrote:
Matt Benatar wrote:
They have a sign hanging up in Primo's. It'll happen, unless it's a split casting effort between a few cities / neighborhoods, and another place shows better cooperation and has an especially goofy family.

A sign saying they are going to have a casting call there at Primo's?

No! Sorry, I wasn't clear. It was just a sign that relayed their intentions. Here's a pic I found on instagram. Not mine.
http://instagr.am/p/RlF83iyKdN/
My point was that they are using all outlets, and they will eventually get a big obnoxious family that can't wait to embarrass us all.

If anyone participates in this show they will embarass themselves!

It's all so beautiful.

Kenzo's picture

brooke wrote:
Kenzo wrote:
bonzombiekitty wrote:
Kenzo wrote:

Oh the neighbors and also the nearby businesses just LUV him. Luv Luv Luv. Went to the ZBA hearing for it to watch the ____ show but due to some lawyer drama he's having, the case is continued into January. Expect this one to go to Common Pleas. He wants to shove in 12 units into a space that can really only fit four rowhomes, but they'll be townhouses all with garage fronts and he also wants to go below the required off-street parking requirements since the zoning calls for a parking space for every 1/2 housing unit (so that would mean 24 parking spots).

That FNA meeting was crazy. Such a huuuuge difference between his presentation and teh one preceding it. IIRC, there were no garage fronts, there would have been garages for a couple of the units in the rear courtyard, which would have been accessed via an entry and exit with a unit over it.

Quote:
There was also a community garden sitting on the parcel which he's mowed down and there's a crapped-out truck now sitting in the lot, which is sort of an omen to the quality of the product he erects. Dude definitely burned his bridges with the neighbors.

Yep. I was wondering what happened in regards to that. Last I had heard, the land was not owned by him (though he said it was), but then the garden got cut down. So I figured he won the zoning fight and was going to build. Although he may actually own the land now, I am happy he still hasn't gotten the variance.

I went into that meeting against the project, but prepared to be convinced that it could work. After the way that guy acted, there was no way in heck I was going to vote in favor. Even if his architect (who I felt bad for, he seemed to have no clue as to what he had become involved in) had convinced me that the idea could work OK, I do NOT want that guy developing it.

Oops yeah you're correct, curb cuts were going to go in at the back--no garage fronts.

A bunch of people I know where at that zoning meeting--I didn't know about it until much later--and after I found out who it was I can see precisely why the zoning meeting turned out the way it did.

By the way you should go look him up in municipal court. It's a gas. The latest case he's involved in is over selling a house with mold in it, according to the complaint. I met the folks suing him. They "luv" him too.

Ah, I totally know the character to which you're referring and I think we've discussed him a few times before in person. As does Roma258. The fact that this kind of thing exists here is so Tammany Hall to me. How are there not enough checks and balances in government to make sure this stuff isn't allowed to happen?

Now that the whole public can see L&I's Hansen database, hopefully those days are over.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

dan

This is not a signature.

StarEditor's picture

Story in STAR tomorrow, but for you savvy Fishtown.us'ers, might not be too much new info.

Ali Eaves
Managing Editor, STAR Community Newsweekly

215-354-3113

Coder's picture

Kenny wrote:
I am praying that they make a movie and help us here in Fishtown. We have been overtaken with yuppies and hipsters and now our children have to move out of the neighborhood to crappy areas like Port Richmond and Bridesburg. Oh GOD hear our prayers.

No, your children don't have to move anywhere. Let them live with you, here in beautiful Fishtown...my only wish is that we were taken over sooner.

jbette01's picture

Coder wrote:
Kenny wrote:
I am praying that they make a movie and help us here in Fishtown. We have been overtaken with yuppies and hipsters and now our children have to move out of the neighborhood to crappy areas like Port Richmond and Bridesburg. Oh GOD hear our prayers.

No, your children don't have to move anywhere. Let them live with you, here in beautiful Fishtown...my only wish is that we were taken over sooner.

Coder has personally asked me to leave at least a dozen times. But being a 'real fishtowner', I'm stubborn as hell.

HAZMAT's picture

StarEditor wrote:
Story in STAR tomorrow, but for you savvy Fishtown.us'ers, might not be too much new info.

Said the savvy journalist hanging around Fishtown.us'ers !

To be ones self and unafraid, right or wrong, is more admirable than the easy cowardice of surrender to conformaty. Irving Wallace.

nickmooduh's picture
HAZMAT's picture

Kenny wrote:
We need to build a homeless shelter here in Fishtown for our grown children who cannot afford a house in Fishtown.

Hmmmm and we could call it."THE BROTHERHOOD MISSION!"

To be ones self and unafraid, right or wrong, is more admirable than the easy cowardice of surrender to conformaty. Irving Wallace.

bonzombiekitty's picture

Kenny wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the new Federal real estate sales tax that goes into effect Jan 1st 2013. I think you have to pay 3.8% of your sales price to the Government.

There's no such thing. There's a 3.8% tax on investment income (which may include sale of property) for individuals who make more than $200,000/yr or $250,000 (? conflicting numbers for the latter) for joint filers, and you still can exclude the first $500,000 of profit from the sale.

milkbox's picture

nickmooduh wrote:
Looks like they're moving on!

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tfr/3388383215.html

Aha! They should just make a tv show called "America's Most Embarrassing Families" and be done with it!

george's picture

Kenny wrote:
I am praying that they make a movie and help us here in Fishtown. We have been overtaken with yuppies and hipsters and now our children have to move out of the neighborhood to crappy areas like Port Richmond and Bridesburg. Oh GOD hear our prayers.

Sometimes the trolls do make me laugh. The plea to God is a nice touch.

george's picture

nickmooduh wrote:
Looks like they're moving on!

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tfr/3388383215.html

We'll see, but that would be great!

Technically, I live in South Philly but I don't think they'll find what they are seeking in my neighborhood. Annoying yuppies spending 10 minutes trying to decide between gouda or gruyere at Whole Foods, yes, cheesesteak-inhaling cliches, no.

(this show is obviously headed to Cinnaminson at this rate)

bozoloper's picture

george wrote:
nickmooduh wrote:
Looks like they're moving on!

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tfr/3388383215.html

We'll see, but that would be great!

Technically, I live in South Philly but I don't think they'll find what they are seeking in my neighborhood. Annoying yuppies spending 10 minutes trying to decide between gouda or gruyere at Whole Foods, yes, cheesesteak-inhaling cliches, no.

(this show is obviously headed to Cinnaminson at this rate)

the wild world of Delco!

gotta get up and be somebody.

StarEditor's picture

george wrote:
nickmooduh wrote:
Looks like they're moving on!

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tfr/3388383215.html

We'll see, but that would be great!

Technically, I live in South Philly but I don't think they'll find what they are seeking in my neighborhood. Annoying yuppies spending 10 minutes trying to decide between gouda or gruyere at Whole Foods, yes, cheesesteak-inhaling cliches, no.

(this show is obviously headed to Cinnaminson at this rate)

Too true, George, too true.

Ali Eaves
Managing Editor, STAR Community Newsweekly

215-354-3113

Kenzo's picture

AWESOMEBALLS!

I was certain they would have tried Kensington next if Fishtown didn't pan out but this is way, way better.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.