Pho Soup right here in 19125

Forums:

stepped out looking for something out of the norm for a late lunch from the usual pizza shop / bar food .
had a pleasant surprise stopping in at Cafe Pho Ga Than !
very large bowl of traditional pho with side dish of mint ,celantro,sprouts,jalapeno,and lime !
all this for 8.00 bucks !
check it out sometime they are at 2539 Kensington ave.
Great food ,great staff,great all around choice in the nabe......
BYOB take your own heineken !

To be ones self and unafraid, right or wrong, is more admirable than the easy cowardice of surrender to conformaty. Irving Wallace.

th's picture

Is that the one Dan raves about or the new one?

You wanna dance? LET'S DANCE!

HAZMAT's picture

not sure about Dan's reviews but this place has been there a while family run and quant !
and way more than I could imagine any normal person could eat in one sitting ! great for tomorrows lunch..

To be ones self and unafraid, right or wrong, is more admirable than the easy cowardice of surrender to conformaty. Irving Wallace.

2014 york's picture

There are 3 places to get Pho on that block and all are good. Thang Long is still my Favorite.

dan

th wrote:
Is that the one Dan raves about

yes, except it's actually called Cafe Pho Ga Thanh Thanh

Godwin was basically a Nazi.

dan

and to clarify - it's the go-to place for Pho Ga (chicken pho)

lighterthief's picture

had el rodeo last night, maybe this is tonights call - I am finding the summer has killed my desire to cook and the grill ran out of gas sunday

Empty factories to the east and all our waste
The shape of things that came shows on the broken workers face

snailgem's picture

do they also serve gagh?
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gagh

HAZMAT's picture

snailgem wrote:
do they also serve gagh?

I'M SURE PEOPLE ARE screaming FOR IT !

sdm's picture

snailgem wrote:
do they also serve gagh?

I'd be more interested in some Romulan Ale, but that's just me.

Neatly chiseled, well groomed, drop dead handsome face.

Cutter's picture

Did they serve you huyệt (blood cubes)?

Jay19125's picture

I like this place. Cafe Pho Ga Thanh Thanh, a block south of the Huntingdon El. Was there once a couple months ago, and have been meaning to get back ever since. Yeah, I think they only do chicken pho. Two sizes, large and small. Large is huge, and $8. I ordered a small, but I guess there was a miscommunication as I received a large. I'd do a small for lunch, and a large for dinner. I think they're open 11 AM to 8 PM or so.

No menus - you go in, grab a seat (it's okay to sit communal-style if there are no empty tables, just ask the folk(s) at whatever table has an empty seat if you can grab it) and the guy asks what you want. Then he'll ask if you want bone-in chicken (I did).

I only just got into pho late last year right before I moved back from Portland, OR, so I'm by no means any kind of expert in it, and this was actually the first time I've had pho ga. I did notice most everyone else got their chicken on the side, and not already in the soup like I did. I have to ask for that next time. It was very good, although I don't really have a base to compare it to. Certainly seemed... lighter (is that the right word?) than beef pho, and I definitely could have gone for some liver or heart in there, but maybe next time I'll ask about that, too. Definitely no complaints about anything. Food and service, atmosphere, teevee which was playing rather mesmerizing Asian hip hop videos. All good.

bozoloper's picture

has anyone been to the newest one that just opened? i keep meaning to, but i feel guilty walking past thang long.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

dan

Jay19125 wrote:
I did notice most everyone else got their chicken on the side, and not already in the soup like I did.

To clarify, they are ordering an extra plate of chicken in addition to the chicken already in the pho ga.

Jay19125's picture

Ah okay, thanks Soul Man. I have to get back there again soon, and I also have to try that Dominican place (La Esquina del Bronco) a block over from York-Dauphin which I haven't been able to get to yet. Maybe this weekend for one of them! I don't get over to that block often, so I'll also have to look into this new place bozoloper mentions above.

george's picture

These places sound better than the disappointing selections at Cafe No Mo Pho.

HAZMAT's picture

there is also a new mexican place there I will try it out tonight and let ya know how it is !

2014 york's picture

Jay19125 wrote:
Ah okay, thanks Soul Man. I have to get back there again soon, and I also have to try that Dominican place (La Esquina del Bronco) a block over from York-Dauphin which I haven't been able to get to yet. Maybe this weekend for one of them! I don't get over to that block often, so I'll also have to look into this new place bozoloper mentions above.

The Dominican place is great but mostly for lunch. I'm talking about the one on the corner, just down from the Library on Dauphin. The building is painted Orange. Don't expect the staff to be friendly. It's not you, the woman behind the counter isn't really nice to anyone but she sure can cook.

Cutter's picture

Jay19125 wrote:
It was very good, although I don't really have a base to compare it to. Certainly seemed... lighter (is that the right word?) than beef pho, and I definitely could have gone for some liver or heart in there, but maybe next time I'll ask about that, too.

It's the most authentic pho ga outside of my mom's kitchen and vietnam itself. It's supposed to be lighter than pho bo, clear light yellow instead of tinged brown, and notes of cilantro and coriander instead of anise.

Hehe, they'll throw all of that fun stuff (blood cubes, heart, etc) in for me automatically without asking.

Make sure you get the habanero-lime-salt dipping dish for the chicken meat.

Jay19125's picture

Cutter wrote:
Jay19125 wrote:
It was very good, although I don't really have a base to compare it to. Certainly seemed... lighter (is that the right word?) than beef pho, and I definitely could have gone for some liver or heart in there, but maybe next time I'll ask about that, too.

It's the most authentic pho ga outside of my mom's kitchen and vietnam itself. It's supposed to be lighter than pho bo, clear light yellow instead of tinged brown, and notes of cilantro and coriander instead of anise.

Hehe, they'll throw all of that fun stuff (blood cubes, heart, etc) in for me automatically without asking.

Make sure you get the habanero-lime-salt dipping dish for the chicken meat.

Ah, yeah that dipping sauce was amazing! Totally forgot about that until now, not sure how, but thanks tons for the reminder. I want to try to incorporate that into my regular home-cooking rotation. Still not sure how I forgot about that sauce, reading about it on a blog somewhere prior to my lunch was what had me most excited about going there in the first place. Thanks for the rest of the info, too.

Jay19125's picture

2014 york wrote:
Don't expect the staff to be friendly. It's not you, the woman behind the counter isn't really nice to anyone but she sure can cook.

Yeah, that's the same place. And, yeah. I know what you mean. I thought maybe I caught her on a bad day or something. She seemed quite annoyed when I stopped in just to take a quick look at the place last week, and ask for their hours. Good to know it's not because I smell bad, or anything. Heh. I definitely intend to try it very soon, and I'll absolutely be a regular there if it's good. I find myself waiting for the bus home right there quite often, anyway.