Raccoon Invades 19125

I live on Cumberland St and on my way home I see a dark four legged figure, as it approached me (slowly) I thought it was an opossum or a large cat, but no it was a Raccoon. He is running around Cumberland between Sepiva St &Tulip streets, I first seen him at Boston and Tulip, just watch out because at times urban raccoons are usually rapid and considered dangerous keep an eye out and prep your sling shots.

Susquehanna's picture

I saw one awhile back walking home from Interstate. It was on Cabot. Big sucker too.

Thankfully I only had an opossum in my back yard on Saturday night while enjoying the cool evening. It walked along my fence and climbed into and out of my yard via tree. If it were a coon I'd have gone inside.

new kenzo's picture

they make good hats

"vinegar of lil richard ninja" , yo

dmandy's picture

One night, earlier this summer, I heard a noise outside the kitchen window. It looked like a grey tiger cat and when i chooed it, this head comes up and it is a raccoon. it just looked at me and then turned and walked away. This might be the same one the OP saw because it was at Firth & Tulip.

Coder's picture

Saw one sitting on the corner of Belgrade and Hewson one morning, coulda stole a small child.
That thing was at least the size of a medium dog, which is what I thought it was at first. I only looked twice because it was so still. Then I practically ran across the street to stay away.
Racoons in daytime are dangerous. That would lead me to believe they were sick, but if you see them at night, they're probably fine. Rabies isn't as widespread as people think. They're mostly around because we stole the river from them.

new kenzo's picture

I saw one smoking on the corner one night this summer but he wasn't bothering anyone. I suppose he was taking advantage of someone discarding their lit butt. I really dislike littering. He certainly was better behaved than the usual gang on my block. I thought it was only fair to bring mention this - speak in the defense of this feared and misunderstood creature of god.

bozoloper's picture

Coder wrote:
They're mostly around because we stole the river from them.

you stole the river from them. we just moved in and stole the bars from you.

there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home.

new kenzo's picture

bozoloper wrote:
Coder wrote:

and, I might add, you are not nearly as well behaved or groomed.

new kenzo's picture

I am pleased though, that this has became, rightfully so mind you, a newby vs. lifer thread.

LST's picture

Yes, they are a site to behold, these pretty beats. They love to find the yards where the feral cats are fed.

It's all so beautiful.

bozoloper's picture

new kenzo wrote:
bozoloper wrote:
Coder wrote:

yeah, yeah, but i drink better beer.

Coder's picture

I wonder what subject could NOT be misconstrued into a N vs L argument?
Is there a God?
"Well, he used to live down on Dauphin Street until the newbies moved in and the taxes got too high"
or
"God will be opening a new 'social gathering' spot, with craft beer and Korean short rib tacos, foods great but you have to listen to him and we're just not sure he has anything to say that we don't already know everything about."

new kenzo's picture

bozoloper wrote:
new kenzo wrote:
bozoloper wrote:
Coder wrote:

yeah, yeah, but i drink better beer.

Ive seen a fair share of raccoons at Lukes, now that I think of it. Hmm.

new kenzo's picture

Coder wrote:
"God will be opening a new 'social gathering' spot, with craft beer and Korean short rib tacos, foods great but you have to listen to him and we're just not sure he has anything to say that we don't already know everything about."

HOLY CRAP!! where where where!?!?!?!!?!?!? I want to go (with my earplugs). That sounds awesome!

new kenzo's picture

dmandy wrote:
One night, earlier this summer, I heard a noise outside the kitchen window. It looked like a grey tiger cat and when i chooed it, this head comes up and it is a raccoon. it just looked at me and then turned and walked away. This might be the same one the OP saw because it was at Firth & Tulip.

I just wanna add that the raccoon I saw, did NOT look me in the eye. I dont think it was because he was rabid, but more out of shame. I suspect he was trying to quit but has a stressful job and just cant kick it. I saw a bare spot on his forearm where there likely was the patch.

Kuishimbo's picture

I first saw a raccoon in Fishtown about 8 years ago on Oxford. I thought it was a large pregnant cat. But then I saw him step over a fence post that most of the cats went under. And then I saw one a few months later on Delaware around Berks. He was standing on his hind legs eating from a trash can. He had to be 3 foot tall.

I'm seeing more foxes along Richmond Street from Cumberland up to about Ann recently too. I think the construction is forcing them out.

How often do you have to replace the "I" key on your computer?

george's picture

Delicious roasted with winter root vegetables and a simple wine reduction. And you can use the charred hair as toothpicks, too.

LST's picture

Kuishimbo wrote:
I first saw a raccoon in Fishtown about 8 years ago on Oxford. I thought it was a large pregnant cat. But then I saw him step over a fence post that most of the cats went under. And then I saw one a few months later on Delaware around Berks. He was standing on his hind legs eating from a trash can. He had to be 3 foot tall.

I'm seeing more foxes along Richmond Street from Cumberland up to about Ann recently too. I think the construction is forcing them out.

FOXES? Human, or animal?

It's all so beautiful.

Kuishimbo's picture

LST wrote:
Kuishimbo wrote:

FOXES? Human, or animal?

Animal. There are all sorts of animals on that stretch of wildlife in Port Richmond between 95 and the river. There was a dead dear at Richmond and Indiana last summer. Last week I saw a fox at Castor and Richmond at the 95 on-ramp near the Penthouse Club. (Hard to set up a joke easier than that.)

How often do you have to replace the "I" key on your computer?

oldcomer55's picture

bozoloper wrote:
Coder wrote:

Umm yea, I don't think you would survive in the bars I go to, but they don"t have your lady beers anyway

LST's picture

Kuishimbo wrote:
LST wrote:
Kuishimbo wrote:

FOXES? Human, or animal?

Animal. There are all sorts of animals on that stretch of wildlife in Port Richmond between 95 and the river. There was a dead dear at Richmond and Indiana last summer. Last week I saw a fox at Castor and Richmond at the 95 on-ramp near the Penthouse Club. (Hard to set up a joke easier than that.)

Ha, near the human foxes at Penthouse!

It's all so beautiful.

matinee1dol's picture

I was really really really really hoping you were going to say you saw it down by like the river or like near johnny brendas or something.. no my street a block from my house.. I'm terrified of possums.. I dont know what I'm going to do if I see a raccoon

Kat's picture

new kenzo wrote:
dmandy wrote:

I just wanna add that the raccoon I saw, did NOT look me in the eye. I dont think it was because he was rabid, but more out of shame. I suspect he was trying to quit but has a stressful job and just cant kick it. I saw a bare spot on his forearm where there likely was the patch.

hahahahahaha

Beege's picture

I've seen a racoon by Sepviva & Hewson.. as well as possum..

sneakers's picture

just saw him in my backyard. he is huge. not scared of people either. saw him lumbering towards my wall, and went to go inside and he wasn't phased. banged on the door to scare him away but he obviously didn't care.

Lutherie's picture

Actually he or she has been around here for a few years now. I almost hit it a few years ago on Memphis street near the cemetery at two or three in the morning. It was bigger then my dog. It actually climbed the cemetery fence quite easy.

If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.

Kenzo's picture

sneakers wrote:
just saw him in my backyard. he is huge. not scared of people either. saw him lumbering towards my wall, and went to go inside and he wasn't phased. banged on the door to scare him away but he obviously didn't care.

Obviously it was raised in Kensington by the sound of it.

On the advice of someone who probably queened-out, this signature has been deleted.

FPDA's picture

Lutherie wrote:
Actually he or she has been around here for a few years now.

What are his views on bike racks? Are they more valid than mine?

LST's picture

Lutherie wrote:
Actually he or she has been around here for a few years now. I almost hit it a few years ago on Memphis street near the cemetery at two or three in the morning. It was bigger then my dog. It actually climbed the cemetery fence quite easy.

Don't they all look alike?

It's all so beautiful.

Coder's picture

LST wrote:

Don't they all look alike?

Kinda like the Jackson 5 and North Philly street gangs?

Lutherie's picture

chuckles wrote:
I saw an Armadillo the other day at Fletcher and Tulip sts. Ugly creature.

Armidillo? You mean Opossum right? Though they do predict armadillos will eventually reach this far north.

If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.

jbette01's picture

oldcomer55 wrote:
bozoloper wrote:
Coder wrote:

Umm yea, I don't think you would survive in the bars I go to, but they don"t have your lady beers anyway

I dont think you know who you are talking to. Coder doesn't drink 'lady beers' and she has been around since ever.

bozoloper's picture

oldcomer55 wrote:
bozoloper wrote:
Coder wrote:

ooo, what tough guy bars do you hang out in?

Matt Benatar's picture

bozoloper wrote:
oldcomer55 wrote:
bozoloper wrote:
Coder wrote:

Obviously the kind where murder goes down. You would not survive, Bozo! Too tough! Light beer only!

Love is a Mattlefield.

oldcomer55's picture

jbette01 wrote:
oldcomer55 wrote:
bozoloper wrote:
Coder wrote:

I dont think you know who you are talking to. Coder doesn't drink 'lady beers' and she has been around since ever.

I think you need to review the conversation because that wasn't a reply to what Coder posted

oldcomer55's picture

Matt Benatar wrote:
bozoloper wrote:
oldcomer55 wrote:
bozoloper wrote:
Coder wrote:

Obviously the kind where murder goes down. You would not survive, Bozo! Too tough! Light beer only!

You would be peeing in your skinny dirty jeans, looking for a side door

Matt Benatar's picture

oldcomer55 wrote:

Yeah, I buy straight leg darkest jeans possible and wear them until they turn to dust, which takes years. It's this really new edgy thing I've been doing for the last fifteen years. Probably even longer than you've been wearing sweatpants, so actually, you're relatively trendy compared to me.
I dress like my dad. You dress like a toddler sports fan.

Love is a Mattlefield.

oldcomer55's picture

Matt Benatar wrote:
oldcomer55 wrote:

Yeah, I buy straight leg darkest jeans possible and wear them until they turn to dust, which takes years. It's this really new edgy thing I've been doing for the last fifteen years. Probably even longer than you've been wearing sweatpants, so actually, you're relatively trendy compared to me.
I dress like my dad. You dress like a toddler sports fan.

Sorry, I haven't owned sweatpants since around '85, couldn't care less about sports, and I don't go by a half man-half woman name either. Get a shower, shave, buy clothes that dot't fit a 12 yr old girl, choose male or female and go back to "stealing bars" like you are Brando in Wild One. You aren't "stealing" anyone's bar if it was opened for the sole purpose of charging $6 a beer to idiots willing to pay it, while your renegade a** is looking over your shoulder walking through your beautiful utopia because you are scared to death.

Matt Benatar's picture

Cool story, bro.

Love is a Mattlefield.

oldcomer55's picture

Matt Benatar wrote:
Cool story, bro.

Nice, Wildwood Boardwalk circa 2010 on little girl t-shirts

new kenzo's picture

oldcomer55 wrote:
...anyone's bar if it was opened for the sole purpose of charging $6 a beer to idiots willing to pay it, while your renegade a** is looking over your shoulder walking through your beautiful utopia because you are scared to death.

wow. a lot of insecure hate going on here. Just for the record, $6 is definitely worth paying for a good quality beer. Some people are content with crappy, watery, weak, tasteless beer. There's some dives around her that charge more than Atlantis who serves plenty of quality beer for $3 or $4.

new kenzo's picture

chuckles wrote:
Real Fishtowners do not need a bar to get drunk.

According to some of you posting here, getting drunk is the only reason to drink, for real Fishtowners.

oldcomer55's picture

new kenzo wrote:
oldcomer55 wrote:
...anyone's bar if it was opened for the sole purpose of charging $6 a beer to idiots willing to pay it, while your renegade a** is looking over your shoulder walking through your beautiful utopia because you are scared to death.

wow. a lot of insecure hate going on here. Just for the record, $6 is definitely worth paying for a good quality beer. Some people are content with crappy, watery, weak, tasteless beer. There's some dives around her that charge more than Atlantis who serves plenty of quality beer for $3 or $4.

No insecurity or hate at all. I'm secure knowing that I still drink Schmidt's and will when it inevitably becomes the en vogue radical drink. I am also secure with personal hygiene and wearing clothes that fit...By the way, has anyone seen that darn raccoon lately?

KingDingAling's picture

It's obvious to me these little raccoons were introduced into the neighborhood around the same time there was a large influx of newbies. For every Memphis Taproom there's a rabid raccoon to balance it out. For every bike rack there's a family of breeding 'coons plotting to take over this fine neighborhood of ours. Thanks to good ole gentrification I spend my days dodging bicycles, dreadlocks, pottery makers, beer garden patrons (seriously???) and a couple yearly festivals that annoy the ever loving bejeezus out of me! THEN, as if that isn't bad enough, my nighttime walks are spent with me having to use my open carry permit to protect myself from the noctournal vampires that you all might refer to raccoons but I refer to as finely tuned killing machines. I kid you not, I once watched a raccoon disembowel two fully grown hipsters without breaking a sweat ( I don't think they sweat though, so that might not be all that impressive). Make no mistake about it my fellow neighbors, both new and old, avoid these lean, mean, killing machines at all costs.

When the king speaks, fishtown.us would be wise to listen.

george's picture

oldcomer55 wrote:
No insecurity or hate at all.

Actually, "insecurity" and "hate" have been themes in virtually everything you've written here. "Crybaby" and "Pantywaist" come to mind as well.

I know you like to think of yourself as some kind of 'Fishtown Oracle' whose job it is to tell 'newcomers' how unwelcome they are while also thinking your own experiences (zzzz) somehow translate into a compelling narrative, but all you've really managed to accomplish here so far is come across as a bitter, parochial whiner whose real issues are likely in the mirror.

oldcomer55's picture

Ha, thats great stuff, if we want to get into name calling george I can accomodate you. Give my regards to the boys in thongs on south beach

bozoloper's picture

oldcomer55 wrote:
Matt Benatar wrote:
bozoloper wrote:
oldcomer55 wrote:
bozoloper wrote:
Coder wrote:

really though, what bars are we talking about?

Coder's picture

Yeah, that seems like a dare.
I call Happy Hour in Murder Bar.
I'll go.

bozoloper's picture

hey, i'm just looking for a name or two here. you know, so i can keep my unwanted self from wandering in there by accident.

side note, you might not recognize me. i don't own any jeans, skinny or otherwise.

bozoloper's picture

z@w6 wrote:
I at least hope you will have underwear on.

it'll even be clean underwear.

that is until i have the poop scared out of me.

Coder's picture

WHERE IS IT?
C'mon Oldcomer, its not fair, you get all the fun, and we're not allowed to?
I'm pretty familiar with most of the bars around here, which one is so bad it would strike fear in the hearts of men, (men who aren't born in 19125)?
Sharing is good.

bozoloper's picture

i think oldcomer is keeper of the murder bar secret not zaw.

Coder's picture

bozoloper wrote:
i think oldcomer is keeper of the murder bar secret not zaw.

Thanks...

cheweymid's picture

Coder wrote:
WHERE IS IT?
I'm pretty familiar with most of the bars around here, which one is so bad it would strike fear in the hearts of men, (men who aren't born in 19125)?
Sharing is good.

I think it's the "Try our fine food" place.

Hard and crunchey on the outside, soft and chewey in the middle.

bozoloper's picture

cheweymid wrote:

we could start a pool.

HAZMAT's picture

cheweymid wrote:
Coder wrote:
WHERE IS IT?
Sharing is good.

Hahahaha nah That place only sells murder in a lil baggy for 10 bucks a pop !

To be ones self and unafraid, right or wrong, is more admirable than the easy cowardice of surrender to conformaty. Irving Wallace.

new kenzo's picture

south beach, that seems to be where he hangs.

bozoloper's picture

was only in rick's dyer's once. the bartender was friendly. the regulars were nice enough. i do like their arcade bowling game.