Do you think its rude if someone doesn't say 'bless you' after you sneeze?

Because I had someone unfriend me on facebook once when i pointed out its ridiculous to expect other people to acknowledge your bodily functions after she posted that it was rude.

Also, if you answered in the affirmative, does it secretly get your undies in a knot when people don't acknowledge your farts, burps, and coughs?

Ken Milano (before he went and edited this comment out to avoid the consequences of having wrote it) wrote:
I don’t have much sympathy for renters, for me, they are non citizens

bozoloper's picture

yes. a thousand times yes. it took me a solid year of ignoring "god bless yous" before my coworkers just finally dropped it.

"my pockets are empty, i've spent my last dime,
but i just got to hear that song one more time."

bozoloper's picture

and by yes, i mean no.

"my pockets are empty, i've spent my last dime,
but i just got to hear that song one more time."

dan

Doesn't bother me one bit.
In fact, I prefer it. Let's get past the sneeze and move on.

That said, I'll repeat my refrain - it's a common courtesy being extended by someone else so I accept it with thankfulness.

This is not a signature.

bozoloper's picture

♫ dan ♫ wrote:
Doesn't bother me one bit.
In fact, I prefer it. Let's get past the sneeze and move on.

That said, I'll repeat my refrain - it's a common courtesy being extended by someone else so I accept it with thankfulness.

but it's not a courtesy. it's basically saying "your body made a noise so loud and in public that i'm going to call further attention to it so that everyone else then feels obligated to also call attention to it."

"my pockets are empty, i've spent my last dime,
but i just got to hear that song one more time."

2014 york's picture

It's a harmless cultural oddity that I think is sort of quaint, even if it's ridiculous. Shaking someones hand as a form of greeting is equally odd. I'm perfectly capable of acknowledging you without being touched.

dan

Actually, it's basically saying, "I've noticed your ill-health and I want you to get better." In olden times it might have meant, "I see you are trying to get rid of demons. May God help you with that."

Yes, its impact may be to draw attention to the noise your body made, and you may therefore consider it discourteous. However, that's not what is being said nor what is intended.

This is not a signature.

stein's picture

Sneezing is not inherently a sign of ill-health.

Ken Milano (before he went and edited this comment out to avoid the consequences of having wrote it) wrote:
I don’t have much sympathy for renters, for me, they are non citizens

cheweymid's picture

♫ dan ♫ wrote:
Actually, it's basically saying, "I've noticed your ill-health and I want you to get better." In olden times it might have meant, "I see you are trying to get rid of demons. May God help you with that."

Yes, it's impact may be to draw attention to the noise your body made, and you may therefore consider it discourteous. However, that's not what is being said nor what is intended.

I was going to say the same thing, but couldn't think of how to explain it. It's just a shortened way of saying "You sneezed, so you must be sick/getting sick. I hope you feel better", but since the custom is almost certainly hundreds if not thousands of years old, it's acquired a religious tone along the way.

I don't care if people say it to me, but if they do, they will always get a "thank you". I usually go with "I bless you" to people that insist I say it to them.

Hard and crunchey on the outside, soft and chewey in the middle.

stein's picture

No, it was religious originally and has since become a weird quasi-secular thing.

and most sneezing is unrelated to being sick, plus if you really wanted to tell someone that you hope they get better you can do that without waiting for a sneeze!

Ken Milano (before he went and edited this comment out to avoid the consequences of having wrote it) wrote:
I don’t have much sympathy for renters, for me, they are non citizens

bozoloper's picture

it's absolutely inane and serves no purpose.

"oh hey, you have mucus flowing out of the front of your face. while you're trying to take care of that i'm going to say something that requires you to respond, hopefully you'll end up with some of your own snot in your mouth during the process."

"my pockets are empty, i've spent my last dime,
but i just got to hear that song one more time."

HAZMAT's picture

The bless you from my upbringing was equated to the idea that every time you sneezed your heart skipped a beat. And for that split second with no control over your body and heart you where basically dead. You coming back from the sneeze was therefore a blessing. For some people that is, others not so much.

To be ones self and unafraid, right or wrong, is more admirable than the easy cowardice of surrender to conformaty. Irving Wallace.

Coder's picture

bozoloper wrote:

"oh hey, you have mucus flowing out of the front of your face. while you're trying to take care of that i'm going to say something that requires you to respond, hopefully you'll end up with some of your own snot in your mouth during the process."

I've been know to offer tissues.

stein's picture

your heart does not skip a beat when you sneeze.

Ken Milano (before he went and edited this comment out to avoid the consequences of having wrote it) wrote:
I don’t have much sympathy for renters, for me, they are non citizens

Coder's picture

stein wrote:
your heart does not skip a beat when you sneeze.

But it does when you lay eyes on the Justin Beiber kid.

bozoloper's picture

Coder wrote:
bozoloper wrote:

"oh hey, you have mucus flowing out of the front of your face. while you're trying to take care of that i'm going to say something that requires you to respond, hopefully you'll end up with some of your own snot in your mouth during the process."

I've been know to offer tissues.

just do it in silence and i'll happily thank you after i clean myself up.

"my pockets are empty, i've spent my last dime,
but i just got to hear that song one more time."

Avocado's Number's picture

During parts of the year, I sneeze with regularity and vigor. It is extremely miserable. Someone saying "Bless you" after each one just makes it worse. And the incredulous commentary after a long string of sneezes that leave my muscles aching and eyes tearing up compounds the misery. If you have the need to say it to someone, say it once and move on.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard." – H.L. Mencken

HAZMAT's picture

stein wrote:
your heart does not skip a beat when you sneeze.

I said The idea. Not that it did. I was also told rice pudding was health food.so give me a break.

To be ones self and unafraid, right or wrong, is more admirable than the easy cowardice of surrender to conformaty. Irving Wallace.

Lauraska's picture

I can't believe people get ticked off by this. I don't say bless you, but I do occasionally say guzundheit (sp?). It's just what I was taught growing up, in a family of German origin. I agree with Dan. If someone says it, I realize they are just extending what they consider to be a common courtesy.

I don't know why I find this less offensive than people telling me they will pray for me, but I do.

Can you see my rolling eyes cresting over York Street as you read this?

2014 york's picture

Live long and prosper

Newcomer's picture

Coder wrote:
stein wrote:
your heart does not skip a beat when you sneeze.

But it does when you lay eyes on the Justin Beiber kid.

Adam Levine is actually the SEXIST MAN ALIVE.

HAZMAT's picture

Kenzo wrote:
Newcomer wrote:
Coder wrote:
stein wrote:
your heart does not skip a beat when you sneeze.

But it does when you lay eyes on the Justin Beiber kid.

Adam Levine is actually the SEXIST MAN ALIVE.

Voice 9 octaves too high for my blood.

I can see how someone screaming louder than yourself would be bothersome. ..

To be ones self and unafraid, right or wrong, is more admirable than the easy cowardice of surrender to conformaty. Irving Wallace.

dan

Lauraska wrote:
I don't know why I find this less offensive than people telling me they will pray for me, but I do.

I vary on "I will pray for you". In general - all for it, when it's offered as a sincere offer to pray.
Unfortunately, it can also be said in a condescending way, like "You're pathetic." That's when it can grate on my nerves. However, when that happens I usually respond, "Thank you for making that commitment. Please do so." It's not only disarming, but it's also hard for somebody to be negative towards you if they're really praying for you.

This is not a signature.

dan

I also often say "Gesundheit" as a remnant of my German heritage.

This is not a signature.

Lutherie's picture

I get really offended when everyone say oh my god after I fart? Please keep your religious beliefs to yourself.

Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

sdm's picture

Don't get so offended when I don't care that you sneezed, your soul is not trying to escape your body. Just cover your mouth and don't be a queen about it.

So I said to him, "Look, buddy.Your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that"

george's picture

"Have a Blessed Asian Flu."

Leo's picture

"Gesundheit" is my response, period.

"Beware the fury of a patient man". - John Dryden

Leo M. Mulvihill, Jr.
Fishtown Lawyers
2424 E. York Street • Suite 111
Philadelphia, PA 19125
p.215.385.5291

ThatGirl's picture

It's a cultural habit that I wish would just die off.

Ugh.

Atomic Larry's picture

I don't get completely bent out of shape but, yes, it sort of irritates me not saying Gesundheit, God Bless, or some other acknowledgement. Origins of the practice and Seinfeld episodes aside, it's simply a form of common courtesy which sadly seems to be disappearing from our society. Why do we say anything in a given situation, whether it be hello to a passerby or excuse me after a burp or whatever? If not rude, I would regard people that don't employ these courtesies as socially awkward or maybe just very young... like trying to teach my child basic social skills.

Coder's picture

Newcomer wrote:
Coder wrote:
stein wrote:
your heart does not skip a beat when you sneeze.

But it does when you lay eyes on the Justin Beiber kid.

Adam Levine is actually the SEXIST MAN ALIVE.

Although I was joking about the Beebs, I was just discussing the "sexiest man alive" theory with miglarsh the other day, and we decided, (so it is the law) that Adam Levine is good looking, but just that. Good looking is a dime a dozen. He has no "it" factor that makes him sexy.
A person does not have to be good looking to be sexy. Adam Levine is not sexy. He lacks any charisma, or whatever it is that makes you look twice and wonder.
He's no George Clooney, or Johnny Depp, that's for sure.

HAZMAT's picture

I only say gonsundhiet if someone farts. And if I fart i usually will say bless you to the person behind me. It's just the way I roll.

To be ones self and unafraid, right or wrong, is more admirable than the easy cowardice of surrender to conformaty. Irving Wallace.

stein's picture

Atomic Larry wrote:
Why do we say anything in a given situation, whether it be hello to a passerby or excuse me after a burp or whatever?

You say hello to a passerby to make them feel welcome, you say 'excuse me' after a burp because people in your surroundings will have to smell the burp and its generally accepted in this culture that burps smell bad. Some traditions can be justified, some can't. Its time to jettison the latter.

Ken Milano (before he went and edited this comment out to avoid the consequences of having wrote it) wrote:
I don’t have much sympathy for renters, for me, they are non citizens

2014 york's picture

Circumcision is a custom most practice that should be done away with. Saying "bless you" pales in comparison. People justify mutilation of infants because it's a cultural norm.

Newcomer's picture

Coder wrote:
Newcomer wrote:
Coder wrote:
stein wrote:
your heart does not skip a beat when you sneeze.

But it does when you lay eyes on the Justin Beiber kid.

Adam Levine is actually the SEXIST MAN ALIVE.

Although I was joking about the Beebs, I was just discussing the "sexiest man alive" theory with miglarsh the other day, and we decided, (so it is the law) that Adam Levine is good looking, but just that. Good looking is a dime a dozen. He has no "it" factor that makes him sexy.
A person does not have to be good looking to be sexy. Adam Levine is not sexy. He lacks any charisma, or whatever it is that makes you look twice and wonder.
He's no George Clooney, or Johnny Depp, that's for sure.

I agree: zero (0) charisma. Ben Kingsley is sexier than Adam Yawn Levine.

Coder's picture

Newcomer wrote:
I agree: zero (0) charisma. Ben Kingsley is sexier than Adam Yawn Levine.

Now theres a "Sexy Beast".
(and BTW all you bald guys, we don't care.)

2014 york's picture

Coder wrote:
Newcomer wrote:
I agree: zero (0) charisma. Ben Kingsley is sexier than Adam Yawn Levine.

Now theres a "Sexy Beast".
(and BTW all you bald guys, we don't care.)