All newcomers to the forum (and older forum members who haven't posted since moderation began) are moderated. You will be able to post comments on existing threads (forum topics, calendar events, etc.) but they will not appear until approved by a moderator. After a period of activity showing you are neither a spammer nor a troll, you will be moved to "trusted" statues and will be able to post comments and create new topics or events which are posted immediately. At that point you will also be able to send and receive private messages.
You may be able to expedite approval if you identify yourself using verifiable information (such as registering using an email address not from a public web-based service) or if someone who is an active member of the forum can vouch for you. Please email such requests to
I wish rules weren't necessary, but we all have different expectations, so here goes...
* Keep it G, or PG at most - no profanity or explicit violent or sexual content.
* Do not use 'creative spelling' or alternate symbols to try to beat the word filter.
* No insulting other posters. (This includes name-calling.)
* Choose dialog over debate. If you must debate, don't fight. Present your side of the argument, not an attack on the other person.
* Do not be disruptive or provocative for the sake of being disruptive or provocative (no trolling)
* No hate speech or promotion of discrimination based on race, ethnicity, sex, or religion.
* The Events Calendar is intended for one-time or monthly events. It is not a place to post daily or weekly events.
* Do not create false accounts / personalities to post under (it is acceptable to create a separate account to represent your business or community organization)
* Before you post, ask yourself, "Is this true? What evidence do I have? Will this help or hurt?"
* When you read a post, remember that it's not necessarily accurate.
GENERAL STATEMENT ON EDITING, UNPUBLISHING, DELETING, and BLOCKING
Fishtown.US reserves the right to edit, unpublish (hide), or delete (permanently remove from database) inflammatory or inaccurate posts. However, that conveys no obligation to do so, and leaving a post untouched does not imply the accuracy of a post's content, nor any agreement or endorsement of the content.
Fishtown.US ultimately reserves the right to edit, unpublish, or delete any post for any reason - primarily this is done for what is viewed as the best benefit to the forum. Fishtown.US also reserves the right to block users who repeatedly violate the rules or are disruptive or who are otherwise detrimental to the site.
Items CANNOT be removed solely because of a request or because an individual or organization does not wish to be mentioned. Doing so could open up legal liabilities that Fishtown.US in unable and unwilling to assume. Requests to remove posts must be made to the original creator of the post unless an established guideline has been violated.
PURPOSE / GOALS
Why does this website exist? To serve the neighborhood of Fishtown! (Fishtown here is defined generously to include not only the traditional core neighborhood, but surrounding areas of "Greater Fishtown", including East Kensington and Old Richmond - roughly the 19125 zip code.)
Here are some of the site priorities:
* to inform people of what's happpening in Fishtown
* to support Fishtown community organizations
* to support Fishtown artists, businesses, and entrepreneurs
* to encourage change for the better
* to enhance dialog about the future of Fishtown
* to be fun and entertaining
TIPS / INSTRUCTIONS
* "recent posts" will help you find all the new content on the site since your last visit: forum posts, pictures, calendar events, etc.
* "my account" will let you add an avatar (a little picture/image which represents you). You can also change your password & email address, and add or edit your signature (a short piece of text added to the end of each of your posts on the site).
* "Messages" lets you receive and send Private Messages to other users of the site.
Q. How do I change my username?
A. Generally you don't. This option has been turned off to prevent abuse. If you feel a strong need to change your username, please PM dan.
This is not a signature.